Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Coldplay

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

Coldplay

I have a feeling that this band is sort of taken the same way Linkin Park is taken here. I've also noticed that the comparisons to Radiohead are often inevitable despite how old they are. (Or even irrelevant and insulting to some. - That is the comparisons, not Radiohead.) Aside from that, there doesn't seem to be anything new from them by now aside from them being on tour for Mylo Xyloto. And well, I thought I'd at least put up two music videos from Parachutes and A Rush of Blood to the Head at the start of this thread. I'm also curious to see what other Radiohead fans think of them, and I think there's obviously some chance that some Coldplay fans are also Radiohead fans and vice versa.

-Edit-

For some reason the videos were set to private settings. However, I thought I'd just replace them with URLs to sites about the band. I really should've done this in every other thread I made about a specific band or musician. I did that in the Hed PE thread, but I don't know I didn't do it for the rest of them. Perhaps I just forgot to do that.

http://www.coldplay.com/

http://www.coldplaying.com/

https://www.facebook.com/coldplay

https://twitter.com/coldplay

http://www.youtube.com/ColdplayTV
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 09-22-2013 at 11:10 PM.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    i find them to be more in league with latter-day U2 as far as comparisons go. i'm not going to front. when parachutes came out i avoided them like the plague, but grew to really love that record. it's been years since i've heard it though so not sure how it holds up. i've tried every album since: the second was nice as well, but they lost me very quickly after that in a whirl of self importance vs. lack of quality output. thus ends my tale about my brief guilty flirtation with coldplay.
    Last edited by frankie teardrop; 03-14-2013 at 12:45 PM. Reason: output vs. input. derp.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I tend to put Coldplay in the same category as bands like Muse and Linkin Park, meaning bands that try to act like something they are not, which is cheesy pop-rock.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Someone at my job left the Parachutes CD in the backroom area and I got really tired of listening to my same mix cd, I so put that record on and while it wasn't anything mind blowing..I didn't mind it and enjoyed it.

I even downloaded their newest record because of how much I liked the cover, it just seemed so busy I just wanted to listen to it.
    It was pretty forgettable but I thought the first song was a pretty well written bouncy pop song.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I actually really quite enjoy Coldplay and am not really ashamed by it. They write fantastic pop songs and seem like humble dudes. Plus Viva La Vida is an astonishing work on alternative pop, in my opinion.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    I don't know where I stand on them. I liked Rush of Blood, X&Y, and Viva La Vida, couldn't get into Parachutes or Mylo Xyloto. I would never say they're like Muse or Linkin Park on the "artistic integrity" level, because I think Coldplay write much better songs than either of those bands will ever be capable of doing. I can't really hate Chris Martin either because he seems like a cool dude that's always lending a hand and he's pretty funny too. I really lost interest on Mylo Xyloto and didn't even see them on that tour, but I don't hate them much like my hipster brothers. I think I'm the only person ever who will ever admit to saying X&Y is their best work.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I liked the first two albums, and still do. They represent a time and place for me that their subsequent stuff hasn't. Maybe if I was ten years older are they started ten years later, I probably wouldn't have gotten into them at all.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I owned Parachutes, and Rush of Blood back in the day. Never kept up with them after. My wife is a fan so I entered a radio contest to see Coldplay live in Brooklyn, NY last December. I won. All I can say is like them or hate them they put on one of THE BEST concerts I have ever been to. The band was in the zone, and the sold out crowd was intense. We were riding the high from that night for a while. . .

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    I don't know where I stand on them. I liked Rush of Blood, X&Y, and Viva La Vida, couldn't get into Parachutes or Mylo Xyloto. I would never say they're like Muse or Linkin Park on the "artistic integrity" level, because I think Coldplay write much better songs than either of those bands will ever be capable of doing. I can't really hate Chris Martin either because he seems like a cool dude that's always lending a hand and he's pretty funny too. I really lost interest on Mylo Xyloto and didn't even see them on that tour, but I don't hate them much like my hipster brothers. I think I'm the only person ever who will ever admit to saying X&Y is their best work.
    I think Viva la Vida just barely edges past X&Y in regards to being their best work.

I'm not shy about liking Coldplay, but I don't listen to them on a regular basis, either. Had Mylo Xyloto on repeat for a while after I got it, and then went back to only spinning their albums once in a while. They're not terrible, that's for sure.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Final Destiny View Post
    I think Viva la Vida just barely edges past X&Y in regards to being their best work.
    I have to agree here, in spite of my love for X&Y.

And you and I have pretty much the exact same taste in this band, Josh. I couldn't get into Parachutes at all and I think Xylo Myloto is utter rubbish on every level, but I like their other three albums a lot.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    X&Y was one of my age 18 soundtracks...takes me RIGHT back.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magrão View Post
    X&Y was one of my age 18 soundtracks...takes me RIGHT back.
    I was 16 when it came out, but yeah brah, I played the shit out of it when it came out. Always in my dad's car.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    So it's settled. Coldplay is best enjoyed if you're a teenager.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Why are there multiple threads for the same band around this board? First Marilyn Manson and now this. There already was a Coldplay thread here.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    So there's two new songs and an album coming this May.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I will never be ashamed to admit I am an unabashed fan of Coldplay, and these two new songs sound great to me. Midnight sounds like they've been hanging out with Justin Vernon, but that's fine with me. Count me in on the new album.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    As most of us: i owned the first two albums and liked them. "Parachutes" was a good debut that stole good parts of Jeff Buckley, U2 and Radiohead without sounding like a total ripoff and "A Rush of Blood to the head" was a fresh pop album (at the time) that showed even more ambition and rawness....

...then "X&Y" came...

God!, they became so predictable and soft... then it came "Viva la Vida", that has great production values, sadly the songs are bland and the lyrics are both cheesy and complacent.
    I gave a chance to "Mylo Xyloto" and that was it... after listening to that album it became evident they are playing too safe and their music/lyrics/concept and frontman was tired and just playing safe "corporate-cock rock".

As onthewall said: maybe it's those kind of groups that only work in your teenage years, i certainly remember being at the record store and choosing between: Radiohead's "Amnesiac" and Coldplay's "Parachutes", i bought "Parachutes", shame on me i know...
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 03-06-2014 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Shitty Grammar

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I'm loving "Midnight." For those of you familiar with Booka Shade, they did a bit of a mash-up of it and put it up for free download. It really just beefs up what's already there in a tasteful way. Check it out.

I really like "Magic", too.

I'm excited for this album, and the shorter tracklist make me think this will be a deliberate, concise musical statement from the band with little-to-no-filler.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I didn't care for Viva La Vida or Mylo...

But I absolutely love Midnight and really digging Magic. I think Midnight is def a good track for those that DONT like Coldplay.

Both tracks have this very atmospheric, low brow sound. Both are perfect for listening to during a quiet snow day. Midnight reminds me a lot of the most recent Badly Drawn Boy album (another for snow day listening)

Also, the physical CD is exclusive to Target and will contain 3 exclusive bonus tracks
    http://www.target.com/p/coldplay-gho...&term=coldplay
    Last edited by Reznor2112; 03-06-2014 at 02:09 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks for the heads up, Reznor2112.

I must say I enjoy all their albums except that last one, which I felt only had a few good tunes. I figure this one will be much better.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    As most of us: i owned the first two albums and liked them. "Parachutes" was a good debut that stole good parts of Jeff Buckley, U2 and Radiohead without sounding like a total ripoff and "A Rush of Blood to the head" was a fresh pop album (at the time) that showed even more ambition and rawness....

As onthewall said: maybe it's those kind of groups that only work in your teenage years, i certainly remember being at the record store and choosing between: Radiohead's "Amnesiac" and Coldplay's "Parachutes", i bought "Parachutes", shame on me i know...
    More than that, it was nice that there was a rock band on the charts that wasn't ripping off Faith No More or the god damned Red Hot Chili Peppers. Not to mention the grunge clones. Between them, nu-metal and rap rock, Coldplay was absolutely a fresh of breath air and well-deserved sunshine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My thoughts on Coldplay.
    Parachutes - Pretty cool
    A Rush of Blood to the Head - Very cool
    X&Y - Some good songs, but mostly meh
    Viva La Vida - Pretty Cool
    Mylo Xyloto - Fucking shit

I get the Linkin Park comparison in that they made 2 good albums and then went hit and miss from there (Although they were more 'hit' than Linkin Park), but if were going on quality, I don't get the Muse comparisons.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    More than that, it was nice that there was a rock band on the charts that wasn't ripping off Faith No More or the god damned Red Hot Chili Peppers. Not to mention the grunge clones. Between them, nu-metal and rap rock, Coldplay was absolutely a fresh of breath air and well-deserved sunshine.
    damn right! ...and i believe that's the main reason of their initial success and their later "fall from grace" (when Coldplay clones began to appear and the "new britpop indie scene got us bored...).
    I remember being into Limp Bizkit and Korn (ugh) at the time but picking "Parachutes" and liking it a lot ...if Coldplay got through my "Nu metal brain" at the time it's no wonder that got so huge, yet in my opinion the bad wasn't "up" to the hype they given them on their later albums (specially "X&Y")

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I couldn't believe it was possible for me to dislike a Coldplay album, until Mylo Xyloto. I don't think it's a terrible album, just that I can't get into it.

I hate the new Coldplay album (althgouh I don't mind others liking it). It's not what I call "experimental". Replacing real drums with a loop and replacing guitars and pianos for keyboards, it's kinda cheap. I get that Coldplay doesn't want to write the same songs over and over, but it's lacking some great melodies.

I'll always follow this band. I'll still be waiting for the next one.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Yeah, they're really not playing to their strengths at all on Ghost Stories. Great piano and guitar riffs are missing. The only song I really like on here is "Always In My Head".

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    They will play halftime at the Super Bowl. Hopefully followed by an alarm clock.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    They will play halftime at the Super Bowl. Hopefully followed by an alarm clock.
    Not bad news at all, now i got the chance to grab a sandwich and maybe go to the store for more beers, great idea!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    There's a Coldplay thread? Cool.

Now how about that incredible new weird song Arabesque? Not a fan of Stromae or brass band or Coldplay in recent years, but this is good.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Arabesque is fucking wonderful. Wasn't expecting that sax solo at all. Orphans is okay too, but nowhere near as memorable as Arabesque. Genuinely excited about the new album.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I thought both songs were really bad, but I'm glad you liked them.