Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Everson Poe

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

contributed a new song to this compilation that the label i'm on put together. all bandcamp revenue shares today go to the NAACP, and the label is donating everything else to BLM global.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

https://eversonpoe.bandcamp.com/album/nusuth

new collection of songs. seven low-key electronic pieces good for background & relaxation. all money from midnight-midnight PST on 7/3 goes to brave space alliance in chicago.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    finally ran into an issue with distrokid - i was trying to upload Nusuth and because a couple of the tracks are over 250MB, i got an error. i figured i could just replace the two files with 16-bit versions and finish the upload...but it tried to start all the way over (it was on 5 out of 7). so i guess i'll be bouncing them all out at 16-bit and trying again. blargh.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    have a new single coming out next friday. pretty and loud, no screaming but i managed to do some nice, clean vocals. very excited.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Choosing between your children, which releases do you feel are the Top 3–5, and if possible, why? Any reason is valid, from experience to technicality.

Even though I rarely comment in your thread, I consume everything you do. I'm genuinely interested in your answer, as your discography begins to grow.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Choosing between your children, which releases do you feel are the Top 3–5, and if possible, why? Any reason is valid, from experience to technicality.

Even though I rarely comment in your thread, I consume everything you do. I'm genuinely interested in your answer, as your discography begins to grow.
    wow, thanks, jon! <3

in no particular order - the great disruption, four deaths, and monstrous existence are my three favorite albums i've done. (though i'm also really excited about my upcoming album)

the great disruption was the first album where i started incorporating blast-beats and (knowingly) elements of doom & sludge metal. i've never really cared about genre so i always just do what i feel serves the song. but that album was directly inspired by me starting to listen to some stuff in genres i'd never really checked out previously.

four deaths was the first album (not a theater score) where i ever did absolutely everything myself, so it's a special point of pride. it's also the heaviest thing i've done, both musically and thematically, and i'm really proud of that, too.

monstrous existence feels very balanced, very ambitious, and, so far, like the pinnacle of what i'm capable of creating musically. i really, really love it. and it was also the first thing i ever had released by a label. the fact that i cold e-mailed the guy who runs it and was just like "hey, you're awesome and you release music i like a lot. do you want to release my album? it's completely finished and literally ready to go today." and he responded within six hours with a positive answer tells me i'm definitely doing something right.

i think "the root cellar" off "there is a hole at the center of everything" is the most beautiful song i've ever made.

and i think "with obsidian knives" off "the body is not sacred" is probably the best way to introduce people to my style in general? idunno, it feels like a good thesis statement.

i think primal is my most frustrating album. it has so much potential and some really good songs, but it's definitely bloated, and the mixing is far from my best. if i could cut it down to a shorter album, i think it'd be much better.
    scrying, the leviathan, ø, coyote, lamb, wolf, (your teeth are like...), (...your skeleton on the outside), and seed. if it was just those songs, it'd be great. coyote, lamb, and wolf are a perfect trifecta of songs, too. i really love those three in a row.

thanks again for listening, it means so much to me <3 <3 <3

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    monstrous existence feels very balanced, very ambitious, and, so far, like the pinnacle of what i'm capable of creating musically. i really, really love it. and it was also the first thing i ever had released by a label. the fact that i cold e-mailed the guy who runs it and was just like "hey, you're awesome and you release music i like a lot. do you want to release my album? it's completely finished and literally ready to go today." and he responded within six hours with a positive answer tells me i'm definitely doing something right.
    That reminds me, on Tidal, Track 3 artists are listed as "Everson Poe, Modaff" and Track 4 lists "Everson Poe, Mordaff". I agree with all of your assessments for that release; I've found it to be exceptionally replayable.

Thank you for your full response, and the music that you make.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    That reminds me, on Tidal, Track 3 artists are listed as "Everson Poe, Modaff" and Track 4 lists "Everson Poe, Mordaff". I agree with all of your assessments for that release; I've found it to be exceptionally replayable.

Thank you for your full response, and the music that you make.
    oh that's hilarious hahaha. i should talk to dan (who runs the label i'm on) about changing that hahaha

and seriously, the fact that you enjoy my music means so much to me.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

https://eversonpoe.bandcamp.com/album/the-thiefs-altar

new song out today!

"the thief's altar" was borne out of improvisation inspired by one of my favorite aaron turner projects, Jodis.
    recorded & mixed in two days back in july, super pretty, plenty loud, no screaming.
    it's another bandcamp day. please buy my stuff so i can afford to buy other people's stuff.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

https://eversonpoe.bandcamp.com/album/rituals

hey, y'all! my new album is up for pre-order today! digital & cassette (a couple people have already bought tapes!)

not that i'm not proud of all my music, but i'm especially proud of this one. it's a perfect sibling to Monstrous Existence (which is why they're going on a tape together), and having the support of a label to get my music out there and help me find a wider audience has been amazing.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Can't wait for the full release.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

just a little teaser for my new album. if you're interested in it, it's available to pre-order on both digital AND CASSETTE! i'm very excited about it!

also, this friday is another bandcamp day...and i have a surprise single dropping that a lot of folks around here should like a lot more than my usual stuff. it sounds like The Soft Moon & NIN, there's no screaming, and it's upbeat, despite the dark subject matter of the lyrics. i'll post when it's available!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Oh that's right, it's the first Monday again. Thankfully it's also payday so I will have some discretionary available.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Oh that's right, it's the first Monday again. Thankfully it's also payday so I will have some discretionary available.
    ...did you mean friday? <3

also, it's only gonna be £1 for the single!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

It's been a long WedThursTuesday.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

100% inspired by NIN & The Soft Moon. extremely proud of this. hope you all enjoy it, too!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

In recent years, the best metal has been that which ignores convention and walks freely across genre boundaries. Under the Everson Poe moniker, Mae Shults has exemplified this fact for over a decade, but they’ve truly outdone themself this year, releasing three albums (one post-punk, one metal, one electronic) with a fourth soon to follow.

Rituals may be the Everson Poe’s fourth album of 2020, but it is nonetheless an expansive, ambitious affair, full of both beauty and devastation. This much is proved by new single ‘Fallow/Hallowed’, a slow-burning doomy number inspired by a disdain for religious zealotry.

“Despite the original inspiration for the song being a scene from the cartoon show Gravity Falls (wherein Bill Cipher offers Gideon a handful of deer teeth), ‘Fallow / Hallowed’ is rooted in the same thematic world as the rest of the album: rituals and religion,” Shults tells us. “To that effect, it seemed fitting to utilise parts of Häxan [for the video], the semi-documentary about witchcraft through the ages.”

Astral Noize is thrilled to be bring you this enchanting, bleak track a month ahead of Rituals‘ release date. Check it out below then head to the Everson Poe Bandcamp to pre-order the full album.
    https://astralnoizeuk.com/2020/10/11...llow-hallowed/

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

i am so fucking happy

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

https://tfanpresents.bandcamp.com/al...on-four-houses

the four-way split i'm on is out this friday (which is another bandcamp day). all money goes to the Chicago Community Bond Fund.

i mixed everything but the Wyeth tracks and i'm really proud of that, as well as the two songs i contributed. very excited for this to be released.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    cross-posted

https://cavedwellermusic.net/reviews...on-poe-rituals

i got a GLOWING review for my new album today and i literally cried the whole time i read it.

among the praise is this
    Everson Poe gives us a truly remarkable offering of doom, death and depressive suicidal black metal. This was easily one of my favourite albums of the year and in my opinion stands up to many of the classic doom death albums of the 90s. The raw and emotional vocal performance is perfectly paired with atmosphere laden instrumental work to form an album that will engage and impress from start to finish. The album is themed around ritualism and tells four stories, each of which you need to hear.
    •••
    All I have to say is WOW, what a listening experience. This is easily one of the best albums of the year, at least in my eyes and I highly suggest that all of you listen to it. Whether you’re a doom fan, a black metal fan or a death metal fan I'm sure that you will find something that you love about this release.
    the reviewer also messaged me on IG to continue talking about my music. the fact that i touched them SO deeply with something that i created is all i've ever wanted out of my musical pursuits; for someone to feel what i felt when making the music. it's incredible and i'm so happy. can't wait for the album to come out on friday.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    fucking brilliant, good job.

got a shipping email for the tape so that's exciting.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    fucking brilliant, good job.

got a shipping email for the tape so that's exciting.
    @Sarah_Munn already got her copy so yours should be arriving soon!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just finished listening to Rituals.

Took me a couple of minutes to get used to the way you sing. Passed that time, I enjoyed it. It felt "surrounding", if that makes sense. I'm thus currently having another go at it.

Thanks for sharing. Hope you'll keep doing this.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by holehead View Post
    Just finished listening to Rituals.

Took me a couple of minutes to get used to the way you sing. Passed that time, I enjoyed it. It felt "surrounding", if that makes sense. I'm thus currently having another go at it.

Thanks for sharing. Hope you'll keep doing this.
    wow, thank you!

yeah, i tend to go for a sort of claustrophobic feeling when i mix. i want you to feel like you're INSIDE the music, so i'm glad you got that out of it!

if you want more like this, i would highly recommend "monstrous existence", my album from may, as it's kind of the sister album (and if you buy a cassette of rituals, monstrous existence is on side b).

<3

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Got the tape yesterday, looks great.

Downloaded the album but didn't get to put it on my ipod because while I was putting my shoes on I found a giant puddle of cat pee in the closet. ugh. cleaning that took priority.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It indeed feels like we're inside. And like it's actually snowing inside.

I don't need to listen to Monstrous Existence (though I will) to ask the question already: Do you ship to France?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by holehead View Post
    It indeed feels like we're inside. And like it's actually snowing inside.

I don't need to listen to Monstrous Existence (though I will) to ask the question already: Do you ship to France?
    yeah, dan (who runs trepanation recordings, who released the albums) will ship anywhere; he's based in the UK. there's only 6 cassette copies last time i checked so jump on it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    "Estimated to arrive by December 2".

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Listened twice earlier today. Gnarly stuff.