Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Green Day

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)

Green Day

I've searched and checked, and I didn't seem to find any proper Green Day thread over here at all. It turns out that I have actually met and known a lot of Green Day fans in real life too. From what I've noticed, most of their favorites are from Dookie to American Idiot, and the ones that have gotten into Green Day through American Idiot were the much more younger fans. It also made me wonder if that's the first album to cause a division in their fan-base. While I'm aware of several songs of theirs, I never really followed up on them, but have at least considered to check out 39/Smooth to Warning.

And as I'd usually ask, for those of you that are into Green Day, which albums, songs and music videos are your favorites? What did you also think of their performance at Woodstock 1994?

And being the huge fan of Seinfeld that I am, The Chronicle, also known as The Clip Show prior to The Finale also got this particular earworm of theirs stuck in my mind even more.

http://www.greenday.com/

https://www.facebook.com/GreenDay

https://twitter.com/GreenDay

https://www.youtube.com/user/greenday

http://www.greendaycommunity.org/

http://www.geekstinkbreath.net/
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 05-04-2015 at 10:50 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    My first ever full-on concert was the Dookie tour stop in Calgary, AB when I was like 12. Saw them for the American Idiot a few times here in Vancouver, still a good album. Not a huge fan, but that album's concept was pretty sharp.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    http://www.echoingthesound.org/commu...42-Keith-Sweat

There is already a Green Day thread.

I was lucky enough to go to the House Of Blues show in Cleveland a few weeks ago:

1. Sweet Children
    2. Don't Leave Me
      (with John Kiffmeyer) (First time live since 1994)
    3. Only of You
      (with John Kiffmeyer)
    4. Sweet Children
      (with John Kiffmeyer) (First time live since 1991)
    5. 409 in Your Coffeemaker
      (with John Kiffmeyer)
    6. At the Library
      (with John Kiffmeyer)
    7. I Was There
      (with John Kiffmeyer) (First time live since 2010)
    8. Disappearing Boy
      (with John Kiffmeyer)
    9. Paper Lanterns
      (with John Kiffmeyer)
    10. Road to Acceptance
      (with John Kiffmeyer)
    11. Green Day
      (with John Kiffmeyer) (First time live since 1990)
    12. Dry Ice
    13. (with John Kiffmeyer) (First time live since 1993)
    14. Green Day
    15. Bohemian Rhapsody
      (Queen song)
    16. Stayin' Alive
      (Bee Gees song)
    17. 99 Revolutions
    18. Holiday
    19. Boulevard of Broken Dreams
    20. 2000 Light Years Away
    21. Private Ale
      (First time live since 1992)
    22. Christie Road
    23. Stuart and the Ave.
      (First time live since 2009)
    24. She
    25. Geek Stink Breath
    26. One for the Razorbacks
      (First time live since 2011)
    27. Burnout
    28. Longview
      (Fan brought on stage)
    29. When I Come Around
    30. Basket Case
    31. Are We the Waiting
      (First time live since 2010)
    32. St. Jimmy
    33. Knowledge
      (Operation Ivy cover) (with Tim Armstrong)
    34. Radio
      (Rancid cover) (with Tim Armstrong)
    35. King for a Day
    36. Shout / Always Look on the Bright Side of Life / Hey Jude / (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
    37. Waiting
    38. Minority
      (with Tim Armstrong)
    39. Encore:
    40. American Idiot
    41. Jesus of Suburbia

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Green Day to Release 30th Anniversary Edition of ‘Dookie’

I thought this thread would be like 8-9 pages.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    The 4-track demo of Basket Case is a trip. Crazy to hear where that song started.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I listened to Dookie last night. It really is a classic, every song is great, even the non-singles. I don't think they ever made a better album. One of the best albums from the mid-90s.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    https://1234gorecords.shop/products/...ersary-box-set

FYI along with the code USEDLAUNCH ^^ this is probably the best deal going if anyone is looking for the vinyl. I believe the promo code expires tonight (8/19).

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    https://1234gorecords.shop/products/...ersary-box-set

FYI along with the code USEDLAUNCH ^^ this is probably the best deal going if anyone is looking for the vinyl. I believe the promo code expires tonight (8/19).
    That's one huge advantage for still buying CDs. $50.00 at Amazon.

One of the most memorable concerts of my life--The Green Day riot at the Boston Hatch Shell in 1994.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Green Day was my first favorite band, when I was in first grade, caught a concert on MTV (still no idea what concert it was but it would've been 94ish) and was hooked. I fell off around their Greatest Hits, once they started to sound like all the punk bands who cited Green Day as one of their big influences. Nimrod, for me, is their greatest. Insomniac though, their opus.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Dookie was one of the first 5 CDs that I ever bought (along with Mellon Collie, Siamese Dream, Metallica's black album, and Third Eye Blind's s/t). Definitely a classic, perfect album with no skippable songs. Dookie, Nimrod, and American Idiot are easily their best work, but I do think that Warning is criminally underrated!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I think Warning (2000) might be their most underrated album. It came out after their popularity peaked in the 90s, but before their huge comeback with American Idiot (2004).

Love this song:

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I can't help but feel like including both the cassette AND 4-track demos is padding the track list (alongside reprinting the Woodstock show), but given that those things are included, alongside the kind of random merch shit that I always love to see in a box set, this seems like a great value for the price.

It always trips me out how old When It's Time is. Wasn't a version of it on the nimrod. box set too? I remember when it was released as a single for the Broadway show and I thought it was brand new for it lmao.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    they have some good songs, but that Good Riddance song makes me want to jump head first into a wood chipper

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    they have some good songs, but that Good Riddance song makes me want to jump head first into a wood chipper
    You don't like High School graduations? You don't like Seinfeld? What wrong with you?

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    You don't like High School graduations? You don't like Seinfeld? What wrong with you?
    Well, I like Seinfeld, but I'm not a fan of pandering nostalgic sentimentality when it's explosively full of shit.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I got around to diving into the Dookie 30th anniversary. The remaster sounds fine, maybe a little louder, but not all that much different than the original CD. The demos CD is really nice, as some of these songs like "Basket Case" go for a different arrangement. The two live shows are awesome, really raw, and the packaging is really cool, with pins, stuff like that. Comes in a neat little silver box that looks good on a shelf.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Stadium tour with Smashing Pumpkins, Rancid, and The Linda Lindas coming next year.

Say what you will about both Pumpkins and Green Days outputs the last couple of decades, but this show will be fuuuun. Linda Lindas also have the best booking agent in the world (deservedly), I swear.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    I'm definitely interested in this show - I've always wanted to see Rancid too.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Single is kinda ZZZZ but at the same time not completely terrible. Cautiously interested to hear more. Funny to see another zombie outbreak video, after the recent Alkaline Trio single.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    On the one hand, it is paint-by-numbers Green Day, but on the other hand, I like it a LOT. Sold me on the album being good, in all honesty. I'm looking forward to it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Sounds like it could've been on Warning.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    That's some major "Heroes" vibes with that album cover!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    After Father of All..., I'll take paint by numbers Green Day. The new single is good.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

Green Day have been cringetastic for around two decades now, but man....this is just ridiculous.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    New album, Saviors, out Friday.

Some reviews:

Us

Kerrang

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    I wish they weren't doing the stadium thing. I'd go if it were in an arena. The baseball stadium here (Seattle) is terrible for concerts.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    I wish they weren't doing the stadium thing. I'd go if it were in an arena. The baseball stadium here (Seattle) is terrible for concerts.
    I wish they were only playing with like one other band. They are playing American Idiot and Dookie in full, plus a greatest hits set. They usually play for 2 hours, plus you have Rancid, The Smashing Pumpkins and The Linda Lindas. I was fucking exhausted after The Hella Mega tour. I really don't want to sit through that long of a concert.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by raptors661 View Post
    I wish they were only playing with like one other band. They are playing American Idiot and Dookie in full, plus a greatest hits set. They usually play for 2 hours, plus you have Rancid, The Smashing Pumpkins and The Linda Lindas. I was fucking exhausted after The Hella Mega tour. I really don't want to sit through that long of a concert.
    Is there a reason you can't just skip the early bands? I haven't seen Green Day since 1995, and I've never seen SP or Rancid, so I'm psyched for this, but yeah, if I didn't want to see that long of a show, I'd just roll in at like 8:30.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by raptors661 View Post
    Not to mention Green Day are playing both Dookie and American Idiot in their entirety, in addition to a handful of songs from Saviors and "a bunch of your other favorites new and old." It's going to be a long ass concert for sure, but I'm pumped to be getting my money's worth.