Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 4 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: The concerts thread

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds were the shit on Sunday! I don't know what it is, but every time I'm seeing either an Oasis concert or a Beady Eye/Noel one the atmosphere is just great. Everyone enjoying themselves, uplifting music and the city is filled with people from the UK, Ireland and Scotland. Perfect!

Looking forward to Mark Lanegan on thursday, espcially with Creature with the Atom Brain being the opener!

Good times!

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Went to see a free show with Japandroids, Kool Keith, Wavves, and Beach Fossils last night for SXSW. Japandroids were awesome, poor guys had been in Brazil on Saturday then flew to Austin just an hour before the show and hadn't gotten any sleep, they still killed it and played some new songs which sounded great. Kool Keith was alright, he took the stage 15 minutes late and only played for about 25 which sucked, but he did a couple of Dr. Octagon songs which was cool and his DJ was great. I've never seen so many people lose their shit to instrumentals of "The Next Episode" and "Killing Me Softly" and "What's Your Fantasy". Wavves were good. Apart from the beginning where they looked like they had no clue what was going on and took too much time to launch into a song, they would eventually pick it up and the lineup that Nathan has is pretty tight, this was probably as good as I've heard them sound. Beach Fossils were last and put on a good show. I felt bad because not many people were into them and left the showcase after Wavves, but they impressed me and have such a vast array of sound, I hope these guys make it.

Going back on Friday to see a day show with Built to Spill, Titus Andronicus, Purity Ring, Turquoise Jeep, Cloud Nothings, and We Were Promised Jetpacks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Saw Killing Joke last night.

Am somewhat destroyed this morning - bruises and no hearing in left ear.

Great night

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Bought a ticket to Reading - Foos, Black Keys, Eagles of Death Metal, the Horrors, the Gaslight Anthem and Band of Skulls sold it to me.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Looks like I'll be attending Heavy MTL 2012.

They've just announced the bands which includes System of a Down, Slipknot, Marilyn Manson, Gojira, Lamb of God, Suicidal Tendencies, Killswitch Engage, BTBAM
    http://lineup.heavymtl.com/

Should be good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just booked for the following on Saturday night, tucked away in one of the giant towers of the Tyne Bridge:-

Attila Csihar: A Scrying: First Action (NCL)

Csihar, the baritone voice of Sunn 0))) and Norwegian black metal pioneers Mayhem, creates his first ever intimate solo durational work. Inspired by the theatre, science and ancient mythology of alchemy, he performs a specially created text in the Enochian language within a scrying ritual. Central to alchemy, scryers often used bridges and towers as portals to access visions of the past or future. It was also considered as a way to communicate with God through Angels, which John Dee famously turned into the Enochian Dictionary in the 16th century.

In this radical new work Csihar connects together the North East landscape from Lindisfarne to the Tyne Bridge with past, present and future.

Limited capacity and advance booking recommended. Commissioned by AV Festival, produced by Paul Smith.

World Première.
    Between seeing the Throbbing Gristle world première on Saturday and now this I'm somewhat spoilt at the moment!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Paul McCartney monday... I guess it should be pretty sweet.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Mark Lanegan delivered as expected last Thursday in Hamburg. I really had a great time and seeing Creature with the Atom Brain was also quite nice.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Saw The Shins at an Austin City Limits taping last night and had a very good time. The new band James put together sounded great and the new songs sound terrific live. James Mercer's voice also translates well live and they seemed genuinely happy to be playing an actual show and not some bullshit event for SXSW. Avail yourself of the time to see them, this is the best they've sounded since Chutes Too Narrow.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Booked:
    Asian Dub Foundation
    Scissor Sisters
    Assemblage 23
    Last edited by sheepdean; 03-20-2012 at 10:41 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just back from the Attila Csihar's "A Scrying: First Action" performance.

Wow.

Can't emote much more than that right now.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    The Big Pink and IO Echo next month

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Just booked:
    The Zombies
    Rae Morris (for the second time this year!)

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Just booked tickets to see Lil B, The Based God.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Went to see Corrosion of Conformity today. While I wasn't too familiar with the main act the two opening bands pretty much blew me out of the water. Zoroaster and Black Cobra simply delivered. Great shows by all three of them and I'll gladly take the offer to see either of them on their own headlining tour!

Coming up: Killing Joke at the end of the month and then Red Fang together with Black Tusk! I also got my tickets for the Black Keys in December! While I was a bit underwhelmed a couple of months ago I still enjoy the hell out of Auerbachs guitar work!

AND: Mark Lanegan is returning to Europe for the summer so it's my duty to join him once again! Can't get enough of him these days!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    A Place to Bury Strangers in June!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    A friend took me to see Shearwater a couple of nights ago when they were playing in a small club in Athens. I didn't know them at all, except for one or two videos I saw before the gig. Anyway, they kicked serious ass. And I was told afterwards that their live performance was much more "rock" than melodic, for which they are normally known. I had no problem with that, the rockier parts were what I enjoyed the most. Oh, and Jonathan Meiburg has an amazing voice!

A very nice surprise overall.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Atari Teenage Riot is playing here on Saturday for free. I hope word hasn't made it's way round town too much, so it won't be too crowded. The place is pretty small and I can already here the storm coming. Should be fun!

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Booked:
    Electric Six 10th Anniversary concert - the first concert I'll ever go to that's not in my city
    Sparks

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    So far this year, got tickets for:-

Guns n Roses - O2 London
    Marilyn Manson - Brixton Academy
    Faith No More - Hammersmith Apollo

Haven't seen any of them in the last 20 years, so should be interesting...!

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Im about to leave to watch Roger Waters for the third time...

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    man, Killing Joke absolutely killed it last night in Munich. Can't wait to see them again. Geordie is such an underrated guitar player... What a blast!

On the other hand I think I won't quite make it to the Atari Teenage Riot show tonight. I'm just too exhausted and also feeling a bit sick today. We'll see...

EDIT: ah fuck, despite feeling really awful I still went and what can I say? They fucking nailed it! The place was PACKED as it was a free show and they went all out. Way over curfew. What an amazing show. Personally I like Alec's solo work better, but today really made me apreciate ATR so much more. Nic Endo is so adorable, yet she kicks all kinds of ass. And Rowdy is a real nice addition to the band. I like him even more than CX. What a great show!
    Last edited by dlb; 04-28-2012 at 07:46 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    M83 this month! I have a feeling this is the last chance I'll get to see him before he totally explodes onto the (relative) mainstream. As it is, the tickets sold out in under a minute and they had to add a show the next night to compensate. I think my friend went to a scalper because the tickets were not cheap.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Yeah I've scooped 2 tix to see M83 here in Buffalo for a week from today. I saw them in Stockholm at Debaser back in '08 and they destroyed the place. Honestly. Can't. Wait. Also, St. Vincent is playing the same venue on Saturday, which I'm planning on going to as well.

Looks like those might be the last 2 shows I see this year - aside from cover bands down at the beach - and it's been a great one for shows. Since May of last year I've seen, and counting the 2 this week:

- Blind Pilot
    - Deftones (2x)
    - Dillinger Escape Plan (4x)
    - Ghost
    - The Head and the Heart
    - M83
    - Mastodon (2x)
    - Opeth
    - Red Fang
    - St. Vincent
    - Thao and the Get Down Stay Down

Not too shabby, and the most I've ever been to.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I'll be going mental on A Place To Bury Strangers this Thursday, Friday and Saturday! CAN. NOT. WAIT.
    Edit: I simply cannot contain myself! :banghead:
    Last edited by profane; 05-01-2012 at 02:55 PM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I saw M83 last night in some like 6-700 people maximum club and it was fucking astonishing. One of the best shows I have ever seen, period.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonn View Post
    So far this year, got tickets for:-

Faith No More - Hammersmith Apollo

Haven't seen any of them in the last 20 years, so should be interesting...!
    Also going to this. Saw them when they first reformed at Brixton and then at Reading, they will not disappoint!

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    I saw M83 last night in some like 6-700 people maximum club and it was fucking astonishing. One of the best shows I have ever seen, period.
    Hey, I was at that show, too! Did you see the new dates posted for fall?

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    Hey, I was at that show, too! Did you see the new dates posted for fall?
    Nice! It was so awesome.
    I did. I wish it was coming back to KC, but I may just have to take a road trip to see them again.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    A Place To Bury Strangers were awesome in Maastricht. Super small venue, about 70 people. I was so close I almost smashed my head onto the bass. I said thank you when they were done and was told by mr Lunadon I was awesome and he shook my hand. Seeing them again in Antwerp tonight!

Edit: lots of t-shirts, drumsticks, hangovers and I want a new neck please.

Awesome nights indeed.
    Last edited by profane; 05-07-2012 at 08:30 PM.