Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: PHM Demos (not Purest Feeling)

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    oh, so it appears i accidentally badmouthed a seemingly awesome guy, sorry for that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    with that logic, KingBacon, five grand isn't that much either, or twenty grand like it was in the first auction (if i remember correctly). i'm not stopping you, but let me remind you the guy ALREADY got a, dare i say, SIZABLE chunk of money while you want to give him more without guarantee that he fucks you over. he sends you 160 kbps mp3 files and says you're lucky. i'm willing to add $25 to the pool, but only after the fact.
    Ben, I'm sorry. I don't know how old you are or what kind of job you have, but a thousand dollars isn't much to raise amongst a group of adults with a steady income. Not that I'm even really suggesting that. I only brought it up because thats how much money Atkins recieved in the end for this fund raiser of his. If anything it gives us an actual numbers to crunch and think about...

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    i'm just trying to understand your ideas. sure you're passionate but as was figured long ago this isn't about discovery of a completely new song (like those on Purest Feeling bootleg), just the songs we've heard for decades now. that's why i'm openly less enthusiastic about inflating values of anything mr. Reznor has something to do with. as i've stated before, i find myself not enjoying unofficial material as much, if at all. maybe because of a belief in artist's own approval. maybe because of fear that such fan-projects could prevent some quality materials from being officially released in the future. mr. Reznor might just think – why make a kick-ass compilation of something from the depth of the vault if said vault was already raided and swept... okay, enough with my nonsense

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    http://www.echoingthesound.org/commu...984#post191984

Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    Demos??????

Does me bumping this thread help?

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Ah those. Lol thought a new batch came up.

Me and my demo fetish.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    So, I received an email from someone who wishes to remain anonymous. They sent along a couple more excerpts of the Sin demo from this tape, and they gave me permission to share (not direct capture).

https://nindestruct.com/music/demos/...o_excerpt2.mp3

https://nindestruct.com/music/demos/...o_excerpt3.mp3
    Last edited by Pyract; 10-14-2022 at 12:48 PM. Reason: spelling

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyract View Post
    So, I received an email from someone who wishes to remain anonymous. They sent along a couple more excerpts of the Sin demo from this tape, and they gave me permission to share (not direct capture).

And they want to...share them? Sell them? Hurt us?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Hurt us. Tease us with what we can’t have.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pcpunk View Post
    Hurt us. Tease us with what we can’t have.
    Not quite.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Oomf, hard to believe this thread is nearly a decade old. Mildly interesting to hear new clips, thanks for sharing @Pyract

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Goddamn number 3, right before the instrumental section, sounds sick as hell.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyract View Post

Isn't there a way to bring this to TR's attention so he can just give it to us in high fidelity?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    It should be common knowledge by now that Martin Atkins has this tape. He was the one originally selling it I believe. You can hear it if you visit his museum in Chicago and he'll supposedly let you do your own mix or something to a cassette tape. I think it's one the things he likes to talk about to attract interest in his museum. https://www.facebook.com/PPIMChicago/
    Last edited by trollmanen; 10-19-2022 at 01:38 PM.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trollmanen View Post
    It should be common knowledge by now that Martin Atkins has this tape. He was the one originally selling it I believe. You can hear it if you visit his museum in Chicago and he'll supposedly let you do your own mix or something to a cassette tape. I think it's one the things he likes to talk about to attract interest in his museum. https://www.facebook.com/PPIMChicago/
    That's... different.

Can someone go to said museum with a wire on and hit record and report back? thx

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    That's... different.

Can someone go to said museum with a wire on and hit record and report back? thx
    OK, I got a little confused about it. I've talked with him via Instagram and just went back through my messages with him. I asked him about the demo tape, and specifically mentioned Terrible Lie and Sin, and he said still has the digital files. He told me if I came out to the museum he'd play them for me. I suppose someone could wear a discrete recording rig and maybe get lucky.

The thing about doing a mix to tape was something else he mentioned later on. He told me he was doing some "mix sessions...where people can come and mix Trent singing Suck onto a cassette in the studio". I didn't really get more info since I wasn't planning on going out there, but I assume it was the Pigface version he was referring to.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Martin occasionally hosts mixing sessions to make your own mix of Suck (Pigface) and you get to take home a cassette of your mix. fyi, if you cared, he also has demos for the entire process album by sp.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    OK, I got a little confused about it. I've talked with him via Instagram and just went back through my messages with him. I asked him about the demo tape, and specifically mentioned Terrible Lie and Sin, and he said still has the digital files. He told me if I came out to the museum he'd play them for me. I suppose someone could wear a discrete recording rig and maybe get lucky..
    I wonder what Trent's take is on these surfaced demos. There's been a lot of care taken to make sure they don't leak in full.

Going off the snippets, they don't sound too far off from the final versions.

Does he even care? Most of the other PHM demos have made it out at this point minus a few (the most notable being "I'm Not Listening" and "I Can Make Myself Forget" (which is rumored to be an early version of That's What I Get with alternate lyrics)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Senateguard33 View Post
    I wonder what Trent's take is on these surfaced demos. There's been a lot of care taken to make sure they don't leak in full.

Going off the snippets, they don't sound too far off from the final versions.

Does he even care? Most of the other PHM demos have made it out at this point minus a few (the most notable being "I'm Not Listening" and "I Can Make Myself Forget" (which is rumored to be an early version of That's What I Get with alternate lyrics)
    I think it's clear his take on it is that he'd rather it not be out in the wild. That's why he stepped in when the tape was on eBay about 10 years ago (whenever that was) and had the auction pulled. At least that's how he felt at the time. I'm going to guess it was also about protecting his copyright on the material and preventing it from being bootlegged and sold.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I think it's clear his take on it is that he'd rather it not be out in the wild. That's why he stepped in when the tape was on eBay about 10 years ago (whenever that was) and had the auction pulled. At least that's how he felt at the time. I'm going to guess it was also about protecting his copyright on the material and preventing it from being bootlegged and sold.
    Wait... Trent had that auction pulled? I thought it had reached it's conclusion and was sold?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by All_The_Spoils View Post
    Wait... Trent had that auction pulled? I thought it had reached it's conclusion and was sold?
    No, I believe the auction was pulled and was never sold. Someone else can either confirm that or not, but that's my recollection.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    No, I believe the auction was pulled and was never sold. Someone else can either confirm that or not, but that's my recollection.
    The auction ended successfully at $1025.00:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20110101...m=120660487400

Full listing description:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20101220...m=120660487400

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBang View Post
    The auction ended successfully at $1025.00:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20110101...m=120660487400

Full listing description:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20101220...m=120660487400
    I stand corrected. So it was definitely Martin Atkins who was selling it. I should ask him what happened with it. Cause if someone did actually get the tape, then it is surprising it hasn't leaked.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Martin Atkins posted on the Facebook page for The Museum of Punk and Industrial Music that he is once again in possession of the demo tape. Curiously, he says he received it in 1986, after the show where Trent played sax with Brian Brain. I questioned him on the date, he swore it was real, but didn't follow up with details. It's pretty well documented that Trent was in Exotic Birds at the time, but the idea that Down In It could have been recorded before Dig It is amazing. The immediate go-to NIN critique for thousands of internet rivetheds, up in smoke! Alas, I think Martin's confused about the date.

14 years ago I sold a demo cassette that Trent gave me in November 1986 - the earliest demos I know of from PHM - the cassette was just donated back to the museum and arrived home yesterday
    date not off. Trent played horns with my band Brian Brain at the phantasy, gave me the cassette on our day off the next day - went through my gig lists to find ‘cleveland followed by a day off ‘ November 1986
    This has led me to discover that a bunch of Cleveland Scene magazines are online. I will find the damn show! It wasn't November 1986.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    No way it's 86. Here is the text from the original auction of the tape:

Comments from Martin Atkins:

"I met Trent when my first band Brian Brain played at The Phantasy Club in lakewood Ohio (just outside of Cleveland) in (maybe) 1983 or so, maybe earlier. We had released a 12" with a horn section on it and tried to find horn players across to USA to jump up onstage with us after learning the songs from some cassettes that we sent out. Trent was recruited by my friend Tom Lash to play trumpet. It was at a barbeque at the DeFraziers home (the owners of the Phantasy) where I spent a little time with Trent and remember him telling me about some music he was working on. John Malm, who was to become Trents manager was also there.

I'm not sure exactly when I received this cassette, it must have been before 1988 when I left New Jersey to move to Chicago. John and Trent invited me to NYC to talk through offers they had received from labels & I hooked them up with my attorney at the time. It would still be a few years before Trent sang on the Pigface track Suck and NiN started to blow up." - Martin

Comments from (echoingthesound.org) is wormhostage. on nin.com its worm.

All of these tacks sound AMAZING!!! Best quality I have ever heard. I have never
    come across these versions of Terrible Lie or Sin before.

Terrible Lie - It sounded like a hollowed stripped down version of the song.
    Reverb/Delay on the vocals at parts, mainly the chorus. The bridge was longer
    and no stops, like the abrupt stop in the bridge, and it faded out. The way he
    sings the song is different than PHM. Parts sound rushed, like the ending. "You
    made me throw it all away...etc. etc....."
    Because there is NO existing demo of the song anywhere. It sounded stripped
    down and the vocal styling (the way he sang it) seemed different from the album
    version. A rare gem.

Down In It – Sounds kind of like the version off the single but this version has an
    intro. Plus the vocal style again was different and the arrangement, I believe,
    was slightly different.

Twist sounds the same as what we've perviously heard except that its clear,
    ungodly clear.
    For the most part it's the same demo that's been around before with the bed
    springs ending "I only think of you" but the clarity of this copy is great, the best
    copy I've ever heard of it.
    No freaking hiss. And there's actually bass.

Sanctified - Sounded like the version from a demo CD called "The Right Track Demos,"
    but it sounded more refined and mixed, as where the one we've all heard
    has a more live feeling to it, like it was recorded live in the studio.

Sin - Another gem because there's no demo of it. I'm trying to remember it but
    I know it had the same thing as Terrible Lie vocal wise, it's not the way he usually
    sings it. And I believe the arrangement was slightly different as well.
    Based on the state of the songs, and the quote about talking through offers they were receiving from labels, this was likely very late 1988. They signed with TVT in Dec 88 or Jan 89, and Trent started working with John Fryer in London in Jan. 89. So, most likely, these demos represent the state of the songs as they were in late 88, before any of the input from outside producers. This is likely even the exact demo tape that was being sent to labels. By playing with the contrast on that photo of the tape, I can see the writing along the bottom says "J Artist Management (USA) [phone number]".

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    I am still amazed at how Martin continues milking this tape for money (first ebay and now playing it at his museum) while Trent apparently doesn't see a dime? (Unless he does and we just don't know)

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    And forgive me if I am missing something but why did he sell it and now advertising it as "It has arrived". Is he saying it has arrived to the museum as a new piece he is taking out of his own vault?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Did anyone go to one of these listening things at his museum?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    lol, Martin keeps pushing back the date for when Trent gave him the tape. waiting for Martin to say "Trent gave me the tape the day after his 8th birthday, where he performed a piano recital for his family" .

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by versusreality View Post
    lol, Martin keeps pushing back the date for when Trent gave him the tape. waiting for Martin to say "Trent gave me the tape the day after his 8th birthday, where he performed a piano recital for his family" .
    Turns out Terrible Lie is about not being allowed to have ice cream for dinner after doing his chores.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Just share the damn thing. Hoarding is an illness.