Thread: 2013.04.28 - Montclair, NJ @ Wellmont Theatre

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    probably around 5 or six, depending on the weather

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    I'll stay in Manhattan NYC.
    Did some home work till now.
    Am I right, I need to take the NJ Transit bus to Montclair (e.g. from the Port Authority Bus Terminal)?
    The last bus Montclair to NYC will be around 11:15 pm. It's weekend (sunday), there are no trains.

I assume, the concert will be finished around 11:00 pm.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps-schedules.html The PATH runs a limited schedule into the city on the weekend, but you'll have to take a bus/taxi from Newark.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Re: 2013.04.28 - Montclair, NJ @ Wellmont Theatre

If anyone wants to buy my ticket to this show let me know. I got it during the regular sale. I would rather go to the Maryland show.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I wish this show was on Saturday instead of Sunday, it's a little over 2 hours from my place and making that trip back and then going to work on Monday isn't going to happen. Damn it.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    It seems that there are still plenty of GA tickets available for this show. . .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Is anyone driving to this from the NYC area? I'll put down for gas money. DM me please.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FULLMETAL View Post
    http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps-schedules.html The PATH runs a limited schedule into the city on the weekend, but you'll have to take a bus/taxi from Newark.
    There is also driving a NJ Transit bus from NYC to Montclair (and back) in the weekend?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nine_inch_nerd View Post
    There is also driving a NJ Transit bus from NYC to Montclair (and back) in the weekend?
    get me a signature of Q, you lucky flying dutchman!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    got my GA tix today

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    received an email: "the tickets will be at will-call when you get to the show"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Looks like this is standing room only tix for the presale....we got boned by modlife since they advertised that we would get the best reserved seats if reserved seats were available... I'm trying to get a refund

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    noob question:

If I wanted to try to get a signature from TR et. al. after the show, how would I go about it?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

2013.04.28 - Montclair, NJ @ Wellmont Theatre

Don't think that's gonna be happening

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by capncarver View Post
    noob question:

If I wanted to try to get a signature from TR et. al. after the show, how would I go about it?
    Hang around the stage door for 1-2 hours after the show finishes, bring your own pen, don't be rude. #protips

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    do you think it's worth waiting or should I try to snag one of the signed prints at the merch booth?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I place zero value on a signed item that wasn't signed FOR me, personally. So if you want it signed for you, maybe even personalised or in the colour pen of your choosing, waiting is key. If you just wanna frame it to extend your HTDApenis, grab it from merch.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    real cheap tix avail for both this show and the apollo on stubhub. and lots of them, meaning they will most likely only continue to drop in price as people are trying to dump em. u can easily get 2 tix for cheaper than the face value of one in the lower and upper mezz. might snag a pair this week so i can decide after a live show if i truly like or dislike them. im indifferent as of now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If anyone wants to trade a balcony seat ( actually 2) for GA...pm me, my wife is going with me and she's not too keen on standing the whole night.

On another note, any recommendations on where to park?

downward

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by downward View Post
    If anyone wants to trade a balcony seat ( actually 2) for GA...pm me, my wife is going with me and she's not too keen on standing the whole night.

On another note, any recommendations on where to park?

downward
    There is parking right around the corner. As soon as you see the theatre on the right corner, make a right. A half block on the left is parking, then right across the street from there. I think its metered, if I remember correctly, or it may be free since its the weekend.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    I bought two tickets for this show through the modlife presale, and now it looks like I won't need one of them. If anyone is interested, let me know.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    real cheap tix avail for both this show and the apollo on stubhub. and lots of them, meaning they will most likely only continue to drop in price as people are trying to dump em. u can easily get 2 tix for cheaper than the face value of one in the lower and upper mezz. might snag a pair this week so i can decide after a live show if i truly like or dislike them. im indifferent as of now.

WTF!!! Tix as low as 7 & 10 bucks for both shows, feel like a dummy for buying presale tix. I think whoever booked the show over anticipated the demand, probably just one area show would've been a hot ticket, Wellmont show isn't even sold out, WHATEVER gonna be an awesome birthday for me no matter what

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    TOIOU/RITC VIDEO ROLL CALL

!!SHOW SPOILERS AHEAD!!

As you may or may not know, people from Reflecting In The Chrome and ThisOneIsOnUs got together to record and edit the Chicago show for an upcoming release. We shot the whole show with 5 high-end XDCAMs and two DSLRs and we are currently in the process of collecting any extra footage. As always with those projects, the more we have, the better. So we're going to call out for anyone who wants to record upcoming shows, here are a few tips to help make your footage match with ours if you'd like to contribute.

First of all, whereas we had passes and official permission to record the Chicago show, we cannot provide such help for upcoming shows. Some venues, like HoB in Boston, charge royalties for bands who want to record their shows. So it's even beyond the bands control. Although, for those who'll try to sneak in their gear anyway, read on :

We're going to try to refrain from using iPhone/Flip, etc footage and concentrate on higher end gear. You can still let us know if you shoot with those, but we can't promise we'll use it. However, if you've got a DSLR that shoots in 1080p (5D, 7D, 60D, etc), or a prosumer HD camcorder (Panasonic HVX-200/Sony EX1, EX3, FS100, NXCAM/etc), we're definitely takers!

Technical specs :
    -Set EVERYTHING manually. No autofocus, no autoexposure, no auto white balance.
    -DON'T EVER CUT : we need continuous shots of the entire show, including breaks between songs. If you cut, we'll have to manually resynch your video and that can be a pain in the ass, especially if you cut between each and every song. If for some reason you had to cut, let us know when you submit your footage.
    -Record in 1920x1080, 24 frames per second, with the highest possible bitrate on your cameras.
    -Use whichever Picture Profile's got the most dynamic range or manually set everything to neutral except contrast which you'll want to drop even more. If you shoot with a DSLR, I can't insist enough that you get Technicolor's CineStyle profile. The image will look flat and lifeless but, trust us : that's what we need for color correction.
    -Set & lock your white balance manually to 3200K. Don't try to make custom white balances with a sheet of white paper : these will always result in great difference between cameras for various reasons.
    -Try to keep your ISO sensitivity as low as possible. It'd be best never to go over ISO 600. It probably won't be possible given the low light environment but keep that in mind anyway.
    -Open your aperture as much as possible. Most Sony's will open up to f2.8 which is great for the lighting conditions.
    -If you still don't have quite enough light, instead of boosting the ISO, you can slightly slow down the shutter speed (1/40 should be fine, but don't go below 1/30 or you'll get trails whenever there is movement).
    -If your camera has such tools, I suggest you display your Histogram and your Peaking at all times. Histogram is a little graphic that shows which parts of the screen is over or underexposed. Slightly underexposed is okay, slightly overexposed is not okay in the digital world, so try to watch out for overexposure. Peaking will highlight all pixels that are sharp, which is going to make it much easier to focus especially on small LCD displays.
    -If you are filming with a zoom from a single position for the entire show, zoom in as far as you can go, focus on the farthest thing you see. Everything in between will stay sharp and you won't have to worry again about focus.

-Try not to move around the venue too much. It's always better if you stay in one place and film from that spot the entire time. That way when we're editing, we're sure your angle will be usable at all times and won't have to worry that you're shaking or moving around. If you're zooming in or out and panning across the stage, make sure you stop long enough in between movements... In otherwords, don't just keep scanning and moving around : that's unusable. You want to make at least 30 seconds to a minute-long stops between each move for us to cut easily.
    -If you've never heard of the Rule of thirds, read this carefully before going in. Try not to frame anything dead center unless you're filming a very wide shot. Always put your subject on one third of the image.

What we most need :
    -Dynamic, handheld shots from the pit.
    -Closeups. As per Rob's indication though : don't bother trying to get closeups when the band is hidden behind the screens. They are meant to be hidden, the show is all about video projections at those points. Ice age and Fur-lined, by exemple, will give you better opportunities to film the performers and zoom in real close.
    -We'll still take everything else you shoot, though.

Postproduction :
    -I will need you upload your original, uncompressed data (if you shoot with camcorders, I need the entire card structure and not just the video files) to your own DropBox account (or whichever hosting site you like, WeTransfer, etc) and then share it with me. If you record on cameras with higher bitrates like P2s, we might need you to send a HDD for which we might be able to cover shipping.
    -My DropBox account for you to share your files with me : pp.chevigny-le.blanc@umontreal.ca
    -When you submit your footage, make sure your mention your online screen name, your full name and address, cellphone number so we can keep in touch.

I think that's it. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me at either ones of those addresses :
    ppchevigny@filmssix.com
    pp.chevigny-le.blanc@umontreal.ca

Most importantly : enjoy yourselves!
    -Pier-Philippe
    Last edited by Ash512; 04-26-2013 at 08:54 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    hmmm... do i bring mw DSLR or not...? dont feel like being denied.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    I place zero value on a signed item that wasn't signed FOR me, personally. So if you want it signed for you, maybe even personalised or in the colour pen of your choosing, waiting is key. If you just wanna frame it to extend your HTDApenis, grab it from merch.
    im gonna try to grow my flacid HTDApenis

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bgalbraith View Post
    I bought two tickets for this show through the modlife presale, and now it looks like I won't need one of them. If anyone is interested, let me know.
    Since tickets can be had for pretty cheap, I'm just going to eat the extra ticket and let someone else jump the line and use the presale early entry.
    Last edited by bgalbraith; 04-27-2013 at 12:32 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Really hoping for an open photo policy for tomorrow. Just got turned down for a photo pass. Pretty irritating. Have my Mark III and lenses all ready to go and really worried about being turned away.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Anyone up for an early ETS meet up @ Trend Coffee & Tea House, 411 Bloomfield Ave?
    Just to drink a cup of coffee or tea...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkIcouldburn View Post
    Really hoping for an open photo policy for tomorrow. Just got turned down for a photo pass. Pretty irritating. Have my Mark III and lenses all ready to go and really worried about being turned away.
    I feel your pain... Think I might not even attempt to bring my 7d, it'd probably just distract me from just taking it all in and enjoying the show.. Or at least that's what I'm trying to convince myself.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    "No professional cameras without a photo pass." -@bowerypresents This sucks. Was really looking forward to shooting this show. First I fall through the cracks for the photo pass, then I can't even bring my camera at all. Bummed.