Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Community

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Not sure if this has been posted somewhere yet.

NBC ending Community, Parks and Recreation, and 30 Rock.
    According to the A.V. Club, it's not the final season...necessarily.

NBC has renewed Community for a 13-episode fourth season, as per the Hollywood Reporter. The deal is not for a final season, like the deal for 30 Rock announced earlier today, but there is no news on whether or not there will be the potential for more episodes if the show exceeds expectations

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    boo, even if it was expected, especially w/ Community after all this Chevy Chase bullshit.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I guess that little old men in suits listen to their casette taped messages and pick up the rotary dial phone when Chevy Chase calls after all

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    According to the A.V. Club, it's not the final season...necessarily.
    Indeed:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Last nights episode had very weak writing. the jokes and the story had nothing to do with each other, it was like a clip show of outtakes that were to ridiculous for tv. but after reading that article, it looks more like the writers knew the show was ending and were trying to be as goofy as possible. At least they're giving them a year to end the show properly and not just can it altogether...

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadbent View Post
    Last nights episode had very weak writing. the jokes and the story had nothing to do with each other, it was like a clip show of outtakes that were to ridiculous for tv. but after reading that article, it looks more like the writers knew the show was ending and were trying to be as goofy as possible. At least they're giving them a year to end the show properly and not just can it altogether...
    Not trying to troll on you, dude, but... have you not seen older Community episodes? This is not the first time that the show has done this. It's not weak writing, it's actually great writing. They have these "clip show" episodes that go along with the already parodying of bottle episodes and such, that feature clips from episodes that never happened as a way of riffing on the idea of a clip show, and at the same time kind of establishing the characters as more than just "tv characters" by making the viewer realize that far more stuff happens in these people's lives, than just what you see for 30 minutes, once a week.

I think you may have missed the point of last night's episode entirely.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Not trying to troll on you, dude, but... have you not seen older Community episodes? This is not the first time that the show has done this. It's not weak writing, it's actually great writing. They have these "clip show" episodes that go along with the already parodying of bottle episodes and such, that feature clips from episodes that never happened as a way of riffing on the idea of a clip show, and at the same time kind of establishing the characters as more than just "tv characters" by making the viewer realize that far more stuff happens in these people's lives, than just what you see for 30 minutes, once a week.

I think you may have missed the point of last night's episode entirely.
    Oh I'm a huge community fan and have seen all the older episodes. But in those shows the jokes were still applicable to what was going on with the characters and the story. Last nights episode was more like "here's whats going on with the characters, now heres a bunch of random jokes that don't fit anywhere". the jokes last night couldn't have been worked into any show because they were just to crazy and obscure.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I, for one, loved the latest episode. Not especially heady, but it had a lot of laughs. I don't mind that there wasn't much of a plot at all, I never really watched Community for the plot.

Also, John Hogdman is always a welcome addition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm worried about this show. NBC is moving it to Friday and Dan Harmon may step down. Both of those are bad things.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Don't forget the last 3 episodes of this season airs tonight!

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Well that was fucking beautiful. Honestly got a little teary eyed when the #SixSeasonsAndAMovie hashtag showed up.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Yeah, I really enjoyed all 3 episodes. My favorite part of all of them was probably the bit in the video-game episode when Annie and Shirley killed the blacksmith. They hinted at some pretty major stuff in that final montage, too - I hope we get to see all of it come to fruition in some way.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    My favorite part of the 8-Bit episode was how Troy just kept jumping around and punching the air. It was so subtle, but it was SO true.

You could tell the finale was conceived as possibly the last episode, and it would have been a glorious way for the show to end. Next season has room to be quite amazing now.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    That was absolutely fantastic. I love this show.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Dat goth Brtta.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I laughed like an idiot when Jeff said 'thank you, dean' and he collapsed in orgasm. Great season finale.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Community creator Dan Harmon will no longer serve as the series’ showrunner, The A.V. Club has learned from Sony Pictures Television, which produces the show. Taking his place are David Guarascio and Moses Port, who recently worked on ABC’s Happy Endings and ran Aliens In America, The CW’s 2007 coming-of-age sitcom. Harmon will remain a consulting producer.

Harmon’s place on Community had been undetermined since the show was renewed last week. Although showrunners typically sign two-year contracts at the start of a third season, Harmon’s deal was only for one, an unusual arrangement in the TV industry.

Considering Community lost a couple of producers earlier this month, don’t expect Harmon’s exit to be the last of the changes for the show. We’ll post more information as we get it.

Update: Harmon has commented on his removal from the program in this Tumblr post, which says that he was never contacted by anyone at NBC or Sony during the search for a showrunner for season four. (This corresponds with what we have learned.) Chris McKenna, the sole remaining season one writer other than Harmon, has confirmed his rumored exit from the show via Twitter.
    http://www.avclub.com/articles/updat...mmunity,75385/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    Well That's the end of this show. Fridays are where shows go to die. At least Harmon ended strong, but who know what the last 13 episodes are going to be like??

Great season finale though. It was nice to see gus from breaking bad. and the Air conditioner storyline was hilarious. every character wrap up nicely as if it was the end of show.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Finally got the chance to watch the last 2 episodes and I was able to watch the 8 bit one earlier. I still don't understand why this show is on the verge of ending! The 8 bit episode was great, but maybe it's because the show is willing to be different that sets this show apart from others, but also ultimately ends up hurting itself? I love seeing the video game cliches in there, too, like troy jumping in the air constantly. Also, Annie and Shirley killing the blacksmith was great, I agree. Fun to see them not so goody-goody and watch what they'd do in an environment like that.

Also, I always did enjoy the AC story line. It was just one of those weird things that they threw in there, but it worked because we already understood how goofy Greendale was as a community college.

Goth rock magician also cracked me up. The Dean has gotten pretty awesome when it comes to Jeff. Man, I hope they go all out next season!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mech View Post
    I still don't understand why this show is on the verge of ending! The 8 bit episode was great, but maybe it's because the show is willing to be different that sets this show apart from others, but also ultimately ends up hurting itself?
    That's definitely part of it, but just look at the comedies that are considered successful, and see what they have that Community doesn't. Thursday's big show is Big Bang Theory, and though it's a show about really smart people, it doesn't require that you be particularly smart to enjoy it. Though a lot of the subject matter can be pretty "heady," they work with all the basic emotions and motivations on a regular basis so anyone can relate. Even Sheldan has some sort of romantic interest now. Community is a great show for us that "get" it, but people like the executives (and even one of the actors in the show itself) just don't understand it. They would rather have adolescent jokes that fill 2.5 Men than actually have to use their brain to see how something is funny. So while we love it when Community does an episode that turns them all into 8 bit sprites, or even one that plays with the conventions of a sit-com, flirting with self-awareness (bottle episodes and clipshows, for instance), that just doesn't appeal to a wide enough audience for the execs to properly support the show.

Man, I hope they go all out next season!
    Not to proverbially rain on your parade, but I can almost guarantee that won't happen. This show is what it is now because of Dan Harmon. They brought those two new writers in as an attempt to steer the show in a "safe" direction, which would, ideally for them, appeal to more people. This will involve forcing romantic interests amongst the cast, as well as other things likereducing the amount of, or possibly eliminating, the homage episodes. And forget about Chang . He's going to have some kind "awakening" that will completely neuter the character and leave him sane. The Dean's nonsense will likely be subdued also. Messing his pants when Jeff touches him? Forget about it.
    Last edited by Goldfoot; 05-21-2012 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Autocorrect on my new keyboard is apparently awful.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Those are good points, and yes, I am worried about Dan Harmon absence, too. Hopefully they won't mess it up to much :/

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Watching the Dungeons & Dragons episode right now. This show is so perfect. Really hope the new writers can retain the same spirit.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    It really is a great show, in spite of some of its cliches. I could watch it all day. I could fucking watch alison brie all day! That chick is smokin'

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    In 24 hours that "October 19th" video got over half a million views. How the fuck can NBC justify delaying the show and cutting the season in half?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Community returns to tv this February, http://www.deadline.com/2012/10/comm...day-8-pm-slot/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I just rewatched the entire show for a third time. I used to think that season 3 went downhill in the second half, but i just fell in love with it for some reason and found the first half to be not so great.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)