Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: House of Cards

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Man, that's actually disappointing. He deserved worse than that.
    Worse than death? How would that work though?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I'm guessing the manner in which he died will be a major plot point for this final season.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Worse than death? How would that work though?
    For a man like Frank, being convicted of his crimes and sent to prison (without special treatment) while he has to hear about Claire taking over "his" job on a daily basis. It would be torture for him. It would drive him mad. It would rip his soul apart.

Death is too quick and easy.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    For a man like Frank, being convicted of his crimes and sent to prison (without special treatment) while he has to hear about Claire taking over "his" job on a daily basis. It would be torture for him. It would drive him mad. It would rip his soul apart.

Death is too quick and easy.
    You are evil.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Now that Spacey's gone, I wish we weren't facing the final season. Other than everything toppling down on him, there wasn't much the show could do. Killing him off and having Claire take over provides more possibilities.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archive_Reports View Post
    Now that Spacey's gone, I wish we weren't facing the final season. Other than everything toppling down on him, there wasn't much the show could do. Killing him off and having Claire take over provides more possibilities.
    Claire already took over. His departure is relatively irrelevant in that regard.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Beware, Season 6 is out today! Time to stop visiting this thread for a while. :-)

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Substance242 View Post
    Beware, Season 6 is out today! Time to stop visiting this thread for a while. :-)
    Reviews seemed to be pretty negative from what I saw. Still going to watch it (or at least, start it).

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Reviews seemed to be pretty negative from what I saw. Still going to watch it (or at least, start it).
    That's what I saw too. I'm still going to watch it.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    pretty good so far. i'm about 4 episodes in.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    It's terrible. Absolutely terrible. Should've canceled the show when they fired Kevin Stacey. Worst season by far.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poro765 View Post
    It's terrible. Absolutely terrible. Should've canceled the show when they fired Kevin Stacey. Worst season by far.
    Oh, goddamnit.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    I’m three episodes in. It’s definitely got the ghost of Frank hanging over it. I like the new characters, The Shepherds, being played slimy and manipulative by Diane Lane and Greg Kinnear. I am not 100% on board with the Doug Stamper story yet.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Well that's one vote for "pretty good" and one vote for "terrible" with absolutely no actual commentary from either. Productive! Congratulations Swykk, you're the only vote that matters so far!

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Thank you. One more thing I forgot. Patricia Clarkson might be the best on the entire show. She’s so damn good.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Well that's one vote for "pretty good" and one vote for "terrible" with absolutely no actual commentary from either. Productive! Congratulations Swykk, you're the only vote that matters so far!
    I'm reserving commentary until I watch more episodes. Seems like the fair way to do it....

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Well, let's see what you guys think when you get through the season. I was trying to avoid posting spoilers.
    The inconsistencies, and the finale. Especially the fucking finale.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poro765 View Post
    Well, let's see what you guys think when you get through the season. I was trying to avoid posting spoilers.
    The inconsistencies, and the finale. Especially the fucking finale.
    We have a spoiler tag.

See? Spoiler: SPOILER

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    It goes off the rails at the conclusion of episode 6. I’m watching until the end just so I’ll know what happened.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    This is the political equivalent of game of thrones.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    It goes off the rails at the conclusion of episode 6. I’m watching until the end just so I’ll know what happened.
    Just finished that episode, so I think I know which particular event (or events) you're referring to.

So far...I'm still engaged. Is it far-fetched? Yes. But Jesus, if you didn't think it was far-fetched in Season 1, then I don't know what you're doing complaining about it now and not then.

What I honestly think though: given enough of the parallels that exist between this season and the last couple of years in this country, I can see Trump supporters thinking that this is an attack on them. Which is funny because A: the Underwoods are Democrats in the show, and B: it's a fucking TV show. But I honestly believe there are people out there going "this is terrible. Just terrible," simply because they feel like this show is attacking the Trump administration.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Yeah, I liked the obvious criticisms of Trump though I would say the show criticizes politics in general but I think it dropped off the deep end after that reveal.

We can discuss more once you finish the next two but I didn’t care for anything after that reveal especially the finale.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Finished. I enjoyed it, but I think in a week I won't remember it much... And maybe there were too many talkings to the camera.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Well, well, well.

I didn't realize it was only eight episodes this season. So imagine my surprise when the last ~15 minutes or so of that episode transpire, and I'm left thinking "wait.....what the fuck?"

I agree with the general consensus. I think there was potential, but the ending was extremely unsatisfying and just felt rushed. The positive side is that for me, when a series ends like this, it makes me feel fine about not having any more coming up. Like "that's how you want to go with this? Okay, whatever, time to move on." Didn't leave me wishing for me, which is good when you know there isn't any left. But I was still left very much feeling like the story wasn't actually finished, and that some things still needed to be concluded.

Spoiler: And I don't mean concluded like "OMG cliffhanger." I mean concluded as in "people still needed to die, be prosecuted, be brought down by the press, etc."

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swykk View Post
    I agree. I just finished the series. It was ok up to episode 6. Sorry if this reference is obscure (I'm old, haha) but they should've brought in Fonzie, a motorcycle & a tank of sharks. Things just got too ludicrous with the plot twists. I guess. they felt compelled because the reality is so surreal right now. The ending was totally abrupt & not in a good way like the Sopranos. Also, only 8 episodes. They could've added a few more & maybe saved it but probably not. Don't waste your time. I'm now patiently waiting for the Coen brothers western on Netflix. Think that is a week away. It can be sucky Coen brothers & still be a hundred times better than this was. Don't waste your time.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    I think what pisses me off the most is Spoiler: the whole Tom Hammerschmidt thing. I mean...six years of him digging up dirt, get RIGHT to the point of maybe being able to expose people, and what happens? You execute him right at the end, show him setting up the big fall with the whole "USB key on the dog collar" thing, but then abruptly end the entire series without taking that story any further. GODDAMNIT PEOPLE. I was hoping that he wouldn't get killed (though I kind of knew better than to expect otherwise), but when that happened, I at least thought that maybe that whole storyline would end with the truth coming out and the entire Underwood dynasty finally being exposed. Nope. Just throw that storyline away, apparently. Six years and no resolution. Motherfucker.)

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Well, I loved the first episode.

Edit: and second episode.

I'm on episode 6 and waiting for what you guys are talking about.
    But so far, it's been pretty fucking entertaining.

I have to at least give them props for that, given that they lost Kevin Spacey.
    Last edited by elevenism; 11-17-2018 at 04:18 AM.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Great, leave us all hanging now. Did you finish episode 6?

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Great, leave us all hanging now. Did you finish episode 6?
    Hahaha, sorry.

I finished the whole thing, and I've gotta say, it was honestly better than I thought it would be.

It DEFINITELY went a bit over the top, even for HoC. The ending did feel rushed, and some of the commentary was a bit heavy handed.

But, all in all, I damn sure enjoyed watching it.

Edit: I must admit that I went into this with VERY low expectations; I didn't think there was any way this could work at ALL. This is the first time I didn't binge it the day it came out.

So I'm not saying like YEEEAH IT WAS FUCKING AWESOME or anything.

But I'd say anyone who watched the other seasons should give this one a shot, at least. Even those of you saying you hated it, I'm sure you at least felt like it "had its moments" or whatever.
    Last edited by elevenism; 11-17-2018 at 05:06 PM.