Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: House of Cards

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    anyone seen the old uk version? intrigued as it was written by a guy in the house of lords

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    anyone seen the old uk version? intrigued as it was written by a guy in the house of lords
    People bill that as better than the US version and vice versa. I haven't seen the UK version but that was executed perfectly in time to real life events while the US version on now is more fictitious with names and events. Matter of opinion though.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I've only watched the first episode of Season 3. I do recall how I didn't enjoy it as well when binge watched, but I did realize how much I missed what I can only describe as the heavy mood and air of this show.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Watched in four big chunks so to me it felt like 4 movies with the last being the slowest, though I did like the cliff hanger end. Nothing like just begging you to come back next season.

I'm going to give this season equal weight as the others. So often hit show's story goes completely implausible, but I have to say, I really believe all that was done this season is entirely possible.
    Loved the Putin-like character. They could have made him completely one dimensional.
    Spoiler: Initially, I thought it was stoopid why he wanted Clare to resign as ambassador, but then he explained it and it made sense. It also furthered the dynamic love relationship that Frank and Claire have - it's so intense. He really would do anything to protect here. Later, I really believed he would do anything to get her journal back. And that the journal was how Doug got back with Frank was perfect.
    Last edited by Dra508; 03-02-2015 at 11:00 AM.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dra508 View Post

Spoiler: Initially, I thought it was stoopid why he wanted Clare to resign as ambassador, but then he explained it and it made sense. It also furthered the dynamic love relationship that Frank and Claire have - it's so intense. He really would do anything to protect here. Later, I really believed he would do anything to get her journal back. And that the journal was how Doug got back with Frank was perfect.
    Spoiler: Man though, I was so duped and played because my image of Frank and Claire has always been what the author wrote about them. Like to the fucking T, then it blew up in my face when he legit stated that its who he wanted them to be (representing the audience I guess or maybe just me! lmao) and then Frank proved he loved the chair wayyy more than he loves Claire, at least in that awful moment at the end. I legit thought he would never lay a hand on her/ I was in shock that he said that shit to her. I wanted to believe she was the exception u.u. That being said its my own fault. It was obvious since the show started that once he had way more power than her, retaining their dynamic would be impossible. He used to understand what she wanted or at least he was naturally inclined to match up to it. That all changed this season. This was the first time I was truly disappointed in my baby Frank. For shame man.
    Last edited by littlemonkey613; 03-03-2015 at 09:59 AM.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    How sweet - Supertramp!

@littlemonkey613 Spoiler: I'm not at all surprised that Frank freaked out on Claire. It was foreshadowed when he did the same to Dunbar.
    Last edited by Dra508; 03-03-2015 at 04:38 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Done watching, first season was the best for me but this is still first class quality TV entertainment. I avoided spoilers so I thought this is the final season, so maybe expected a bit more. :-) Like in the UK "version" finale years ago.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    About halfway through....the best line so far: "......what are you looking at?" hahaha

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    My favorite line, probably ever on this show: "Love? That's what you're selling? Well I don't buy it."

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Everything Underwood spouts off is a great quote.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    It took me a while to figure out where I know this Russian Petrov from... BBC Sherlock of course! (obvious I know)

Edit: This is how I imagine the whole series could end - Claire looks into the camera and says something like "Do you think I did not know about you."
    Last edited by Substance242; 03-07-2015 at 10:35 AM.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I'm almost through Season 3 and was initially liking the side story of Doug but am beginning to find it to be a bit floppy in continuity (his new "job", did he get fired?). It's distracting because I thought the storyline had so much potential for this season.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sentient02970 View Post
    I'm almost through Season 3 and was initially liking the side story of Doug but am beginning to find it to be a bit floppy in continuity (his new "job", did he get fired?). It's distracting because I thought the storyline had so much potential for this season.
    Keep watching. To me, it made a bit more sense by the end, the Doug story that is,

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    This show keeps delivering, one of the best shows of the decade easly.

Spoiler: Am i the only one that thought the whole pissing on the father's grave and spitting at christ came off as a cheap attempt to make Frank more "edgy"?

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sallos View Post
    This show keeps delivering, one of the best shows of the decade easly.

Spoiler: Am i the only one that thought the whole pissing on the father's grave and spitting at christ came off as a cheap attempt to make Frank more "edgy"?
    I don't quite see those as cheap attempts. What I like about how they are molding Frank is that I'll catch myself, on many occasions, feeling sympathy for him when he's in that mode of working hard for what he thinks is best for the nation (crossing partisan lines). But the show does very well at showing us he shadow self, the pieces that no other characters get to see and stuff he only shares when he breaks the 4th wall. To me, that lends to really letting the viewer understand the main character more than any other show I can think of. Those attempts just punch those aspects of him harder and wake us up from that sleepy sympathy we may find ourselves in when it comes to Frank.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The show has been picked up for a 4th season

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Finally done with this season.
    Great as usual, the only thing is that Doug/Gavin/Rachel thing got real old real fast. Spoiler: I mean the whole repeating 'give me more info - where's my passport lock' thing

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Really liked the third season. Some people are saying it was kind of boring and not as thrilling as the previous ones but life in the White House has it's own rules.Really enjoyed it! I want more!

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Finally finished S3. Nothing shocking or even mildly surprising, but I mostly enjoyed it anyway. The whole biographer story line got really old really fast - maybe I just didn't like the actor, or maybe I just wished that more time would be spent on other things. Ending was predictable and should have happened sooner in the series, but I guess they wanted to clearly define what S4 would be about.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Finally finished S3. Nothing shocking or even mildly surprising, but I mostly enjoyed it anyway. The whole biographer story line got really old really fast - maybe I just didn't like the actor, or maybe I just wished that more time would be spent on other things. Ending was predictable and should have happened sooner in the series, but I guess they wanted to clearly define what S4 would be about.
    What do you think Season 4 will be all about? I sort of doubt they could carry Claire leaving the WH for the whole season. I'm actually conflicted on whether her character makes any sense anymore. She's on-board, she's not on-board, fuck me, hit me, don't fuck me. Dye my hair (trite trick), re-bleach my hair.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    What do you think Season 4 will be all about? I sort of doubt they could carry Claire leaving the WH for the whole season. I'm actually conflicted on whether her character makes any sense anymore. She's on-board, she's not on-board, fuck me, hit me, don't fuck me. Dye my hair (trite trick), re-bleach my hair.
    I think there's a chance that Claire comes clean. Has she ever actually gotten her hands dirty, or has she just been a bystander? She could blow in Frank, ruin him, and make a run for office herself.

(I don't think any of that is particularly likely, but I wouldn't be surprised if any part of that actually came up.)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Do you think Frank will become a Dictator and take over the world? Seems that's only what's left for him to do.

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nycguy View Post
    Do you think Frank will become a Dictator and take over the world? Seems that's only what's left for him to do.
    If he could, he would, but he's not quite megalomaniac. Maybe he'd get himself a throne for his bedroom.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Isn't Claire going to Spoiler: eventually bring the man down? I think I read something like this happened in original UK show (never watched it though). If it's the case, it may very well take the whole next season or even two.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nycguy View Post
    Nope. Nope.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Nope. Nope.
    That's a shame. I was hoping this show was going to get out of control with even more violence, etc. If I was writing the episodes I'd make Frank take over the whole country and suspend elections, etc. It just seems logical to me that's where this should go. Look at this:

Season 1: Frank the Congressman
    Season 2: Frank the VEEP
    Season 3: Frank the POTUS
    Season 4: Frank the Dictator

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    They should build up Frank vs Claire next season...
    And as much as Frank deep down loves Claire and vice versa, the gloves are off.
    Claire pulls out the punches and uses her ins and knowledge to move up and get noticed.
    The more Claire is in the spotlight, the more threats and attempts that are made on her life as we have seen before.
    Claire becomes popular and makes her move into government, thus jeopardizing Frank's plans.
    But she plans on giving away some pretty damning info about Frank to the public to ruin his chances, a last nail in the coffin move.
    Final episode of Season 4, Frank has no options left and knows he cant possibly win this one.
    He begs Claire not to go through with her plan to expose him at her next public speech.
    The speech comes up and Frank must sit back amongst the representatives as Claire steps up to the podium.
    She goes through the usual "I'm gonna be a great leader" speech and turns to give Frank a look.
    A look that says, "And now it's time to talk about Frank."
    You know this is the moment she's been planning, she turns to face the crowd and starts to speak...
    Bam!
    A gunshot rings at the press conference...
    Claire is hit and falls to the ground as the security tackles the suspect who is screaming about "killing babies" and "abortions."
    Attempts have been made on Claire, this one happens to be a success.
    As Claire falls, Frank leaps to the podium and now cradles her in his arms and is completely frantic... a side of Frank we haven't seen.
    He loves Claire and does not want her to die.
    Claire whispers in his ear "You... you did this."
    Frank looks at her and her eyes are mortified... her last thought "How could you do this?" and she passes.
    Frank looks perplexed, he really had no part in this shooting even though it works in his favor.
    But he destroyed at the thought Claire would think that he would go this far when it comes to her.
    But Frank has killed before... something Claire knew he was capable of when he has no other options.

The end...

...of season 4

End of my bad House Of Cards fan fiction

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Unfortunately, the writers have made Claire a strong character, but has lost on several occasions based on her naivety. I don't see her concurring Frank. Frank can only destroy Frank.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Unfortunately, the writers have made Claire a strong character, but has lost on several occasions based on her naivety. I don't see her concurring Frank. Frank can only destroy Frank.
    Conquering? In which case, I concur.