Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How Long (New Song and Video)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

How Long (New Song and Video)

http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/20...ill-terrifying

I can safely say this song and video blew my tits off and it's going to be on repeat all day.

Edit : I see this is being primarily discussed in the welcome oblivion thread so a mod can delete this.
    Last edited by R-Dot-Yung; 01-31-2013 at 09:32 AM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Transcribing for ninwiki atm, so listening to it on repeat and loving it

edit: boom http://www.ninwiki.com/How_Long%3F#Lyrics
    Last edited by sheepdean; 01-31-2013 at 09:48 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Wow. I don't like it at all. I wonder if I'd feel different if Trent sang lead. Such a pop sounding voice.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    an "okay" song. i guess i became too confident that HTDA takes the more mellow path, that i was in fact freaked out by this one.
    that classy weird beginning with the guy painting circles on self wasted, developed into nothing. then it's just murder and no art

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    He kills someone to save another, that's fairly arty

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    As I still can't download here (UK iTunes has it but I can't use iTunes), can anyone rip the single art?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    How long can we keep holding on.

Watched the video once, uninterrupted. Wow. Again, another very thought provoking video.

For some reason it reminded me of playing Diablo (I or II) Walking around killing other beings then collecting their stash which helps rejuvinate my health and I collect their tools to survive another battle or day.

I also think of large corps draining the economy with their overpriced products. Some products we need to survive, some we don't.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I can hear it on Vimeo but I have to use a netbook which can't handle it very well and skips every now and then. I'm waiting for a youtube version so I can hear it a bit better. Still have to put up with crappy quality scratchy audio but it would be somewhat of an improvement from skipping all the time. From what I can hear it isn't my favourite. Still really like it but it's a tad poppy for my taste. Still, without blaring it through headphone I can't really judge it yet

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Loved this video and the song.

Call me crazy, but this song gives me more hope for the album than anything on the Omen EP. This one almost sounds like a mixture between electronic, pop, and a spiritual.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I love this song. The vocal harmonizing in particular is a real treat.
    Last edited by Magtig; 01-31-2013 at 10:57 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Nice. They do enough good stuff to not make me give up hope. I'm down for the new album for sure.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    The new song is still pretty jarring to me. Wasn't expecting such a "pop" sounding track. I don't dislike it though. In fact, I feel like once the initial weirdness of hearing a pop song from TR wears off, I'll really love it. Technical this is what I've wanted from HTDA all along. For Mariqueen to start using her voice and quit whispering all the time, so if the rest of the album is like this, then it's going to be great.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I may have accidentally downloaded the track for free (I reeeeeally wanted it and I cant get it from itunes, don't judge me!) and after hearing it properly it turns out I could only hear half the track from this crappy netbook. I actually love this song. Catchy as hell. Still won't replace On The Wing as my favorite but thats one hell of a track

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I like it, though it's very weak lyrically.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Wow, I might have simply just been in the right mental space for it or something, but that video hit me hard. Nearly wanted to cry by the end of it - was eating lunch at the time and just kind of stopped. It did take me about half the song to get used to the poppiness, but it worked really well with the video.

Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    Technical this is what I've wanted from HTDA all along. For Mariqueen to start using her voice and quit whispering all the time, so if the rest of the album is like this, then it's going to be great.
    Yeah, I've actually wanted them to get back to that kind of stuff as well - really looking forward to the new album.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    When I first heard it, the chorus and the phrasing reminded me of Head To Toe by Lisa Lisa which I know sounds crazy, and they don’t really sound that much alike, but couldn’t get it out of my head. Now the song is growing on me, and glad again that I’m surprised by sound/direction of the band.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    worst song for me till now!

edit: especially the singing part of 'how long'; the instrumental part is awesome as expected
    Last edited by witte; 01-31-2013 at 01:42 PM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    The people wanted different, and damn if they didn't deliver different. Love it. The video is rather chilling as well. Those eyes...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Has anyone been able to download the video?

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nine_inch_nerd View Post
    worst song for me till now!

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    The lyrics are OK but I love the groove of it. The video... fuck, that was awesome.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    The whole thing was filmed in Wales, for anyone wondering - so, unless the band flew over for a week, it looks like they let Shynola just make the whole thing without too much interference beyond script. An interesting move for such a hands-on band in terms of art, but it really works.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    The whole thing was filmed in Wales, for anyone wondering - so, unless the band flew over for a week, it looks like they let Shynola just make the whole thing without too much interference beyond script. An interesting move for such a hands-on band in terms of art, but it really works.
    Shit, I thought it was either the lake or peak district, namely the latter because of their location. Wasn't too far off I guess, if i wanted a 'depressing as fuck' motif I'd either pick the midlands or Wales.

It's got me intrigued anyway - I thought the poppyness of it was a bit too jarring, but it worked really well in is your love strong enough so WE SHALL SEE i guess

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Diaz View Post
    Has anyone been able to download the video?
    http://pd.npr.org/npr-mp4/npr/musicv...-n-1200000.mp4

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    it was refreshing to see a video without the band in it. i've never been a huge fan of performance videos, and videos featuring band members "acting" or at least not simply performing are good, but videos that stand on their own are my favourite, and this is definitely one of those.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The vocal melodies provide such a tribal feel. Is that just me? I think the video is amazing, especially during the murder with the "How long?" parts resounding in the background. Quite surprised at Mariqueen showing a good bit of vocal here. I like it. It's different, even if a bit poppy. Brilliant sounds in this song.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    The song: I like it. IMO the pop-ness works because it's not what one expects from Trent and Co. If HTDA is looking to attract new listeners in addition to the NIN fanbase this song seems a pretty good choice.

The video: interesting. Got a "Blade Runner" feel from the glowing eyes...replicants in the aftermath of Year Zero? However to me the visuals and music seem a bit at odds with each other.

Looking forward to the rest of the album.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Really good song, quite different from anything off An Omen. I like the harmonies a lot, Q's at her best on this track. Though I have to admit, I hear this song every time I listen to it:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Very fascinating video, I'm extremely impressed .........and surprised in a good way. Great Job!

BUT AS FOR THE SONG.....GAY
    Last edited by WRG; 02-06-2013 at 06:22 PM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WingWalker View Post
    The video: interesting. Got a "Blade Runner" feel from the glowing eyes...replicants in the aftermath of Year Zero? However to me the visuals and music seem a bit at odds with each other.
    When I saw it the first time, I definitely felt that way. However, watching it again, it all made sense. This man is surviving and taking care of his loved one, but how long can he keep that up? Then there's the part that refers to how the little things slip away, which makes me think about the loss of humanity. The man in the video certainly has retained some humanity, but in order to retain that little bit, he's had to lose a lot. That's just my interpretation of course, but it makes sense to me.

Also, I can't stop listening to this song. On the first listen it might sound too poppy for a song involving Trent Reznor, but when you listen to it a few times, the darkness reveals itself. It's catchy, but it's also moody at the same time.