Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: How Long (New Song and Video)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Fantastic. I've been playing this constantly over the past few days, when I'm not it sticks in my head. Absolutely love the harmonies/layered vocals in the chorus (fun for me to sing along to). I hope there will be an instrumental of this available soon.

I don't mind that this song sounds like pop, tbh. I just dig the instrumental.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dominik View Post
    I thought that too. Fuck those people.. they act like NIN only made hardcore industrial songs.. I love the pop stuff from Trent.

Oh come on, you know that's not what we meant. Maybe soft pop/soft rock is a better definition of it? And not everyone is saying the pop stuff is a bad thing. I probably listen to more pop than everyone else on here combined.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JessicaSarahS View Post
    Oh come on, you know that's not what we meant. Maybe soft pop/soft rock is a better definition of it? And not everyone is saying the pop stuff is a bad thing. I probably listen to more pop than everyone else on here combined.
    I always thought NIN was at the core "pop" in song format. Verse, Chorus, Verse, Chorus. What's wrong with a dope catchy hook? If that's peoples criticism of this song than those people need to lighten up a little bit.

This song is dope.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Bought the track so I can edit out the main vocals. Finally found a way (close enough) to remove her...time compressed 85% making the length 3:18. Now I can listen to this. Vocals don't fit, track is too slow. Just my view on this.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    We get it, dude.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by R-Dot-Yung View Post
    I always thought NIN was at the core "pop" in song format. Verse, Chorus, Verse, Chorus. What's wrong with a dope catchy hook? If that's peoples criticism of this song than those people need to lighten up a little bit.

This song is dope.

I always though so as well... I don't quite see what the problem is. To my ears Into The Void, my favourite NIN song, has a pop structure also as with many NIN songs.

The one things that I dislike about this song is the adlibs.... Mariqueen is a fine singer but I don't think she delivers emotion very well. Just my opinion.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroisGreg View Post
    edit out my view on this.
    That's a great idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Here is my reaction, in convenient picture form (coz that's how I roll, motherfuckers):

Yep.
    (I don't even care that the images are huge, that's how much I love this goddamn song and video.)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Bought the track so I can edit out the main vocals. Finally found a way (close enough) to remove her...time compressed 85% making the length 3:18. Now I can listen to this. Vocals don't fit, track is too slow. Just my view on this.
    Please share!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Wait, people are actually editing out Mariqueen's vocals to make it "good"?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

How Long (New Song and Video)

Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    Wait, people are actually editing out Mariqueen's vocals to make it "good"?

As stupid as it sounds. Yes. I don't know why bother? I mean, if you don't like it, don't listen to it. All the rants about mariqueen's vocals. Get over it. This is not NIN, it's not Trent singing - buhuhu. Go listen to NIN and be happy and droll over his voice. Two different projects and directions. I really don't get all the fuss about it.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I would love it if Mariqueen did lead vocals on these new tracks that will be on the greatest hits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dzaver View Post
    As stupid as it sounds. Yes. I don't know why bother? I mean, if you don't like it, don't listen to it. All the rants about mariqueen's vocals. Get over it. This is not NIN, it's not Trent singing - buhuhu. Go listen to NIN and be happy and droll over his voice. Two different projects and directions. I really don't get all the fuss about it.
    Woah, settle down. I never said anything about the vocals needing to be like NIN. I made some suggestions in another post about other vocalists that would fit much better I think. I'm not expecting anything to sound like NIN from HTDA, just think Trent was looking for his female counterpart (he said this a few years ago) and I don't think he found her yet...or maybe it doesn't need to be a 'her'.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Editing vocals out? Jesus Christ, wait for the multitracks.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Woah, settle down. I never said anything about the vocals needing to be like NIN. I made some suggestions in another post about other vocalists that would fit much better I think. I'm not expecting anything to sound like NIN from HTDA, just think Trent was looking for his female counterpart (he said this a few years ago) and I don't think he found her yet...or maybe it doesn't need to be a 'her'.
    So, Rob and Atticus are just in the band for the ride, and have zero input into the sound? If you take away Mariqueen, you still will have all 4 members of the band on the record. You're still looking at this as Trent's band, whereas this is a GROUP project. And so you won't take out Q even if you sit there and moan about her vocals til kingdom come.

Go listen to The Sleep of Reason Produces Monsters, she only talks tree times in that.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

just think Trent was looking for his female counterpart (he said this a few years ago) and I don't think he found her yet...or maybe it doesn't need to be a 'her'.
    Someone's got a secret admirer.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Every single post you've made on this forum has been about disliking Q's voice and/or editing her voice out of HTDA's music -- all but one of them in the past 24 hours. Perhaps you should consider your own advice to "settle down." At least make some other contributions to the conversation, eh?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I'm certainly no fan of Mariqueen, but I'm not fanatical enough to disrespectfully edit her out. Seriously if you dont like the band, do what I do. Dont listen to them.

Put that time that you spend editing out her vocals, into making music you'd rather listen to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    (puts headphones on and listens to The Book of Eli Soundtrack - Panoramic.)

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    (puts headphones on and listens to The Book of Eli Soundtrack - Panoramic.)
    But that has Atticus' wife on, and CLEARLY she's only on for being his wife and not for her musical ability! That's what musicians do, right?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    A dub version from Mad Professor or Adrian Sherwood would be dandy.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    I'd like an instrumental version of this... not because I dislike Mariqueen's voice it's more about the way I listen to music, I tend to focus on on the instruments, sounds, layering, nuances and sometimes I find vocals/lyrics a little bit distracting, for example with Closer, I'm more likely to listen to the instrumental than the original version, it's just how I prefer it and I think some of the songs on Year Zero are incredible as instrumentals. I try and obtain instrumentals for a lot of the songs/artists I like but I'm in no way trying to disrespectful, like I said it's just the way I like to listen to music.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    People calling Mariqeen's voice bad is laughable considering that Trent himself isn't that notorious for being a good singer. I'd argue that Mariqueen's voice is actually better than Trent's voice.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'm reading the youtube comments to see how much hate or love there is for the new song and one guy talked about a band with Trent, Billy Corgan and Mira Aroyo which I had never heard about, so I googled it and found this:

http://fishpork.com/2010/04/01/trent...rt-supergroup/

With that date, I guess that was an april's fools joke I missed, right? Are those words by Trent about Billy legit? I doubt it, but I'm curious. XD

I remember reading some interviews from 2001 where Trent talked about forming a band with a girl, mixing "Gary Numan's cold electronics with Erykah Badu's warm voice" as an example of how he wanted the band to sound like, which I guess that is what he has tried to do with HTDA, and I even remember rumors about Aaliyah being the girl that he wanted to work with before she died (she said she was a NIN's fan because of his brother in a MTV interview where she talked about her favorite albums an she mentioned to have met Trent in the 1999 VMAs where they talked about working together in the future), but I had never heard about this Mira Aroyo/Corgan band.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CANTCOMPLAIN View Post
    I'm reading the youtube comments to see how much hate or love there is for the new song and one guy talked about a band with Trent, Billy Corgan and Mira Aroyo which I had never heard about, so I googled it and found this:

http://fishpork.com/2010/04/01/trent...rt-supergroup/

With that date, I guess that was an april's fools joke I missed, right? Are those words by Trent about Billy legit? I doubt it, but I'm curious. XD
    Please try and do at least a minimum amount of research.

You saw this and didn't click the link?

A teaser for the first single was posted to NIN.com last night at midnight here.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    So, back on topic: the video has been picked as one of vimeo's staff picks. As I've never even heard of that, I'm guessing it's a fairly uncommon thing, so that's neat https://vimeo.com/channels/staffpicks/58637996

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsJustDave View Post
    Please try and do at least a minimum amount of research.

You saw this and didn't click the link?
    I assumed it was an april's fools joke just because of the date as I said, so I didn't bother clicking.

I was just asking about the legitimacy of Trent's quote talking about Billy Corgan, which I guess that was just made up by the guy who wrote the article, but maybe Trent actually said that, I doubt it, but I just wasn't sure. XD

Afaik, Billy has usually praised Trent, while Trent has never been very kind when talking about Billy, although The Smashing Pumpkins had a song in Lost Highway's soundtrack and a version of A Warm Place was almost used in Stigmata's soundtrack, so I just don't know if they have ever been (kind of) friends or what has actually happened betwwen them, I just know that Billy was a friend of Manson and almost replaced Trent as the band's producer for Mechanical Animals (I don't mean that Trent was going to produce said album, I meant that Trent produced ACSS and Manson didn't want him to produce the next one and wanted Bowie or Corgan instead), so I'm not sure about what kind of relationship they have had along the years, I only know that Manson said that Trent was jealous of Cobain's and Corgan's success in the early 90s or that Trent said that he didn't like The Smashing Pumpkins reunion when they played in a festival around 2007/08, but I wasn't sure about if he actually said those quoted words from the article about their fake band, although I guess that the quote was fake too, but since Trent seems to have reconciled with a lot of people after getting sober (eg: I have recently read that he was in good terms with Vrenna again), maybe he actually said that he liked Corgan now, I just don't know.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    None of that is even remotely related to How Long, HTDA, or NIN.

In other news, this song is still damn good.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CANTCOMPLAIN View Post
    Afaik, Billy has usually praised Trent, while Trent has never been very kind when talking about Billy, although The Smashing Pumpkins had a song in Lost Highway's soundtrack and a version of A Warm Place was almost used in Stigmata's soundtrack, so I just don't know if they have ever been (kind of) friends or what has actually happened betwwen them, I just know that Billy was a friend of Manson and almost replaced Trent as the band's producer for Mechanical Animals (I don't mean that Trent was going to produce said album, I meant that Trent produced ACSS and Manson didn't want him to produce the next one and wanted Bowie or Corgan instead), so I'm not sure about what kind of relationship they have had along the years, I only know that Manson said that Trent was jealous of Cobain's and Corgan's success in the early 90s or that Trent said that he didn't like The Smashing Pumpkins reunion when they played in a festival around 2007/08, but I wasn't sure about if he actually said those quoted words from the article about their fake band, although I guess that the quote was fake too, but since Trent seems to have reconciled with a lot of people after getting sober (eg: I have recently read that he was in good terms with Vrenna again), maybe he actually said that he liked Corgan now, I just don't know.
    please tell me you're trolling...that was ONE SENTENCE.