Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Daft Punk - Random Access Memories

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    New album will be called Random Access Memories.

Comes out on May 21.

http://pitchfork.com/news/48797-daft...ted-on-itunes/

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    So excited!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Fuck man, I thought the 2013 being fucking amazing for music thing was over, but we're getting new DP, Sigur Ros and QOTSA within weeks of each other. 2013 rules.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Not a big fan of the title (sounds like what a Daft Punk cover...er...duo would call themselves), but I do dig the cover, and if the SNL ad sample is any indication, this is going to be one funky record.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Just saw a new television commercial - again on SNL (even though it's a repeat). Sounded like the same song from the previous TV spot, but a different section of that song. Same thing with the halves of the helmets coming together, except with the title in the corner and an iTunes pre-order heads-up at the end... I'm excited!!

Oh, and isn't this the first LP cover without the usual format, i.e. their logo front-and-center? Kinda cool!

(Also, I hope this album is less repetitious than Human After All)
    Last edited by Deadpool; 03-23-2013 at 11:43 PM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Awwwww shit

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Holy mother of funk.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Yeah FUNK is right! I realy dont like Pharrell but man that songs got this 70s disco funk vibe to it and the chorus is already stuck in my head.

This should be a good disc, i was real into them back in the day when i listened to The Chemical Vrothers and The Prodigy. Hadnt listened to them in years (basically since the "electronica" craze died out in the US around 99-00) and then the TRON Legacy score came out...

Speaking of TRON Legacy, thats one of my all time favorite film scores, right up there with Fight Club and GWTDT IMO.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Ahh that sounds sooo good!

What album would everyone recommend downloading from these guys?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    All of it. I know a shit answer, but all of it. Including the TRON Legacy OST. Start at Homework.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Make sure you grab all the tracks from TRON. There was a 2 disc limited edition and Disney being the money grabbing fucksticks they are, had 4 or 5 extra tracks depending on where you downloaded it from.

The tracks are: Encom (part 1 and 2), Round One, Father and Son (great track), Outlands, Part 2 (another good one), Castor (should have been on the normal version), Sea of Simulation, Sunrise Prelude and Reflections.

There are a couple other tracks floating around out there, ripped from the movies score and trailers. I cant stress how awesome of a slab of music this is. I resequenced all the tracks together chronologicaly following the movie, and i listen to it all the time. Great tunes to play Borderlands to

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Rolling Stone has shared snippets of their upcoming profile on Daft Punk, which features an interview with Thomas Bangalter and Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo about their upcoming album.

Here's what we've learned from the Rolling Stone piece:

Making the album:
    They started working on it in 2008. It was recorded in Paris, New York (at Electric Ladyland), and Los Angeles (at the old A&M studio). "There are songs on the album that traveled into five studios over two and a half years," Thomas said. There are drum machines on only two tracks. The electronics are played on a custom-built modular synthesizer, plus with a series of vintage vocoders. Thomas said, "We wanted to do what we used to do with machines and samplers, but with people."

Some track names:
    "Get Lucky" [ft. Pharrell and Nile Rodgers], "Contact" (the final track), "Lose Yourself to Dance" [ft. Pharrell]

They hired some of the best session musicians to play on the album:
    In addition to Nile Rodgers, session players on the record have been on albums by Michael Jackson, Eric Clapton, and Herbie Hancock.

They're collaborating with Kanye:
    For a track on his next album.

More details about collaborators:
    Panda Bear, Julian Casablancas, and Giorgio Moroder will all contribute vocals to the album.

Don't expect them to hit the road too soon:
    They have no current plans to play the new stuff live. "We want to focus everything on the act and excitement of listening to the album. We don’t see a tour as an accessory to an album," said Thomas. When they do return for a tour, they'll play stuff both new and old.

Rolling Stone
    also revealed that both members of Daft Punk were in the VIP section at Coachella watching the new video as it aired.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

I am SO excited for this record.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Sorry, but that just sounds like someone pieced all the parts that are out there together and called it the full song.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Stanton View Post
    Sorry, but that just sounds like someone pieced all the parts that are out there together and called it the full song.
    I thought that too at first but then I heard the ending, which is new. Anyway, could be a false alarm I guess.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alrea View Post

I am SO excited for this record.
    Jesus fuckin' christ. This thing in HD is beautiful. The amount of goosebumps is uncontrollable.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    More Goodness. I really think this song has to be available in like...the next week, or two weeks, tops. I neeed a full version of this thing.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alrea View Post
    More Goodness. I really think this song has to be available in like...the next week, or two weeks, tops. I neeed a full version of this thing.

This was sent to people subscribed to Columbias email newsletter.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Well, shit. And here I thought I was subscribed to that. Thanks!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    This Friday?! Yes!

I've loved the "Collaborators" interviews - my favorite maybe being the Todd Edwards or Nile Rodgers one. I've grown so attached to the vocoder loop of "Get Lucky" that I was a little put off by Pharell's vocals when I first heard them in the SNL ad, but they're growing on me. The effort the Robots put into finding the best vocoder sound definitely shows: the layering and warmth of it just sounds flawless on that song. Everything you'd want a Daft Punk vocoder refrain to be.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tracklist revealed through a Vine video.

01 Give Life Back to Music
    02 The Game of Love
    03 Giorgio by Moroder
    04 Within
    05 Instant Crush
    06 Lose Yourself to Dance
    07 Touch
    08 Get Lucky
    09 Beyond
    10 Motherboard
    11 Fragments of Time
    12 Doin' It Right
    13 Contact

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    You know you wanna Get Lucky.

FUCK THIS SONG IS HOT.

Double edit: Apparently this isn't the FINAL final version. The real version's apparently going to debut tomorrow on French radio and the mix is said to be even more choice. This will hold me over though.
    Last edited by october_midnight; 04-17-2013 at 02:50 PM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    All of it. I know a shit answer, but all of it. Including the TRON Legacy OST. Start at Homework.
    Ha, good answer!! I have to say after listening to all of Daft's albums, nothing comes close to Homework right now.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    When I first heard the short clip with the vocoded/unintelligable thing, I thought it was really interesting. Then Pharrell's singing screwed it up for me.
    It sounds like disco to me... which is fine if you like disco. I don't know... all these people acting like they're doing something revolutionary and ground breaking, when it sounds to me like a throw back to Michael Jackson "off the wall" disco.

There's no denying how insanely catchy it is though. I've had it stuck in my head on repeat after just listening to it once. So... they're definitely doing something right.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 04-17-2013 at 06:25 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    This and Moderat's new album later in the year are probably the two albums I am waiting for the most can't wait!!!!! Love the trailers and interviews so far.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Well, isn't this album supposed to be a throw-back of sorts to the disco/West Coast vibe? I mean, if you don't like it, you don't like it, but that's what I'm taking from all of this. Part of what all this promo (the Collaborators videos, in particular) for this album is doing for me is providing me with a medium to a whole other genre of music I've never really gotten around to trying out. It's getting me curious in the discos, the session players they're pulling from all over the place for this record. Even if the album turns out to be a total disappointment, which I highly doubt, I really like the places it's taking me in terms of exposing me to new things. (Well, new to me.)

Until we get more, I'm just gonna put "Get Lucky" on repeat 24/7.