Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Daft Punk - Random Access Memories

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    It just feels so incredibly fun and refreshing to hear Get Lucky. I was familiar with Daft Punk but I never dived into their discography until recently and this was after I heard the clip from the SNL post. I never got the feeling from the interviews or "Get Lucky" that it was revolutionary or groundbreaking.. to me, it seems like they feel what they are making is amazing and being in that moment I guess adds to other peoples reactions on how amazing or great they think it may be. Shit, when I saw Daft Punk jamming with Pharell and Nile Rodgers.. it just made me so happy and the music just added to that.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alrea View Post
    Well, isn't this album supposed to be a throw-back of sorts to the disco/West Coast vibe? I mean, if you don't like it, you don't like it, but that's what I'm taking from all of this. Part of what all this promo (the Collaborators videos, in particular) for this album is doing for me is providing me with a medium to a whole other genre of music I've never really gotten around to trying out. It's getting me curious in the discos, the session players they're pulling from all over the place for this record. Even if the album turns out to be a total disappointment, which I highly doubt, I really like the places it's taking me in terms of exposing me to new things. (Well, new to me.)

Until we get more, I'm just gonna put "Get Lucky" on repeat 24/7.
    I think I might be responding mainly to one of the collaborator clip videos (and a lot of the hype I've heard from people calling this revolutionary). The Todd Edwards one (video 2) really overdid it. The guy basically implies that they're doing something unheard-of by playing live instruments. He implies they're "going back to a time that nobody is focusing on" and that "the magic is live instrumentation, it's a lost artform." First off, disco house is a pretty big thing. They're not the only ones resurrecting disco. Secondly, live instrumentation is a lost artform? Even if he's specifically referring to live instrumentation in electronic dance music, that's just insane.

And then you scroll down and read the youtube comments, and it's like supreme worship. The hype is so fucking intense. I mean, even in that video, the guy says "It's kind of ironic, two androids are bringing soul back to music." Then you have some guy in the comments box quoting that and implying that the sentiment made him fucking cry.

It's disco with vocoders and robot outfits. And that's fun. The song is really catchy, and I hope the album is good. But holy shit.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    just a tip then.. avoid the Pharrell one.. geeeeeeez.. He refers to them as The Robots all the time and I just want to puke.
    That said, I'd let them do it, it's rare that an artist (or artists) come out and say "Yeah, we are trying to change music, screw you". Some people love that, people want to feel like something special is happening in their dull monochrome lives or whatever, and who are we to shit on that? That said.. it would have worked a lot better10-15 years ago without the bipolar cross-eyed love/hate machine that is the internet.

In other news, hell, they've released 30 seconds of the most catchy audio I've heard in months.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    It's disco with vocoders and robot outfits. And that's fun. The song is really catchy, and I hope the album is good.
    That's all that matters. Fuck hype.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidcalm View Post
    In other news, hell, they've released 30 seconds of the most catchy audio I've heard in months.
    It's one of the catchiest things I've ever heard. It's almost scary how catchy it is, so I'm impressed... even if I desperately want it out of my head at this point.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    sure, fuck the hype, but you can't blame DP or Pharell for playing the game. If you can't distinguish between reality and fiction you are screwed anyway. And i like the song.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Daft Punk were mindblowing back in 96-97, check out live record Alive 1997.
    Thier discography is relatively small. I like them but dont get why they got put on a pedestal, it must be the image and videos that connected with a people who dont really listen to dance music.
    I have been DJing for years primarily house music so to my ears i dont really hear anything in their new material that i have not been hearing on a regular basis for past 10 years by people like Joey Negro, Tony Humphries, Byron Stingley etc.
    Its weird most acts who sound like them are relatively big in Europe but underground in the States yet Daft Punk have become ultra heavyweight working in Hollywood and with people like Kanye West, Pharell and co.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Yeah, this album is crazy hyped right now and I'm pretty sure if/when this leaks the internet is going to blow up. While I don't know about you guys, but even that Coachella teaser gave me goosebumps in a way that hasn't happened to me in awhile when it regards to the marketing for an album release. Perhaps it's because they've been gone for so long and that's such a "WE'RE BACK" kind of visual statement.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak33 View Post
    And it's supposedly still the radio edit.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Full song is 6 minutes right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yup. (6:07)

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    I'm still surprised at how many people don't even know who Daft Punk are. And anymore, most people know "they did TRON" and that was it. Suddenly they're Daft Punk fans for life without ever having listened to their other material.

The tribute project, One More Time, was in town last weekend, and I REALLY wanted to go, but missed it for an employee party (got hammered and had a blast). It looked like a really sweet setup, and I hope I get another chance to see them, if not the actual Daft Punk.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I think I might be responding mainly to one of the collaborator clip videos (and a lot of the hype I've heard from people calling this revolutionary). The Todd Edwards one (video 2) really overdid it. The guy basically implies that they're doing something unheard-of by playing live instruments. He implies they're "going back to a time that nobody is focusing on" and that "the magic is live instrumentation, it's a lost artform." First off, disco house is a pretty big thing. They're not the only ones resurrecting disco. Secondly, live instrumentation is a lost artform? Even if he's specifically referring to live instrumentation in electronic dance music, that's just insane.

And then you scroll down and read the youtube comments, and it's like supreme worship. The hype is so fucking intense. I mean, even in that video, the guy says "It's kind of ironic, two androids are bringing soul back to music." Then you have some guy in the comments box quoting that and implying that the sentiment made him fucking cry.

It's disco with vocoders and robot outfits. And that's fun. The song is really catchy, and I hope the album is good. But holy shit.
    I'm personally hyped because this isn't something I would've expected to come from Daft Punk. And like I said, it's kind of introducing me to a lot of music that I haven't given much of a chance (and that I'm falling in love with). I wouldn't say it's something new and revolutionary in the world of music, but it's definitely going to be a breath of fresh air, I think.

The YouTube comments are pretty insane, though, especially the ones on some of the "leaked" fake tracks and edits that are being put up. Sometimes I wish they'd just take away commenting on videos.
    Last edited by ImTheWiseJanitor; 04-18-2013 at 02:11 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I keep seeing that, but where is it going to be available from? Will it be a free MP3 on their website? Will we be able to buy it from iTunes/Amazon/etc?

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidcalm View Post
    just a tip then.. avoid the Pharrell one.. geeeeeeez.. He refers to them as The Robots all the time and I just want to puke.
    Oh come on man! I thought his video was creative and inspiring.. but that is just me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I like the video as well. Nitpicking what he calls the band members is just silly.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    actually, at least the interview with Pharrell was cute in that he played into the whole mystery thing, basically by insinuating that he was drugged by some french robots.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Radio Edit has released.

Same song as the 4 minute leak.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    love it. May have to have the roof cut off my car to get the proper experience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    so.. we won't get the full version until May 17?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Apparently. I'm kinda disappointed about that, and part of me was hoping for a music video, as well, but it is what it is. I'm still pretty pleased with the song!

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Speaking of MJ, I like the Thriller-esque font they used for the songs title.

And at around 2:15 in the video, if you caught it...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Sorry.
    Last edited by The Reason Being; 04-21-2013 at 10:14 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    i'm sorry, but i'm not really feeling this song
    worst Daft Punk track? possibly (Pharrell's vocals don't help it)
    don't like the vocals and without them, the song is pretty boring
    sure, it's funky... but it just doesn't really go anywhere
    sorry guys, just my opinion... i was expecting something a little more, i dunno, exciting i guess

and stop calling them "The Robots"

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    i'm sorry, but i'm not really feeling this song
    worst Daft Punk track? possibly (Pharrell's vocals don't help it)
    don't like the vocals and without them, the song is pretty boring
    sure, it's funky... but it just doesn't really go anywhere
    sorry guys, just my opinion... i was expecting something a little more, i dunno, exciting i guess

and stop calling them "The Robots"
    To me it sounds like getting a message from a friend you haven't heard from in a long time.
    I'm 24 and Discovery was the first album I ever bought, so new Daft Punk makes me feel little again.
    I don't like Pharrell either. He fits for the song, but I wish it wasn't him.
    I like the song but, this isn't the direction I was expecting.
    This one song sounds like Discovery Redux and I'm not looking for that.
    I'd much rather hear them tap the veins of Homework and Human After All for the new stuff.
    I would like the group that was my first favorite band to not continue on nostalgia alone.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I really like it, but it does sound like the first time they're properly repeating themselves. I like it better than One More Time though, which everyone seems to adore. I start Discovery at track 2.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Yeah was never a fan of "One More Time" as well... for me "Musique" is my definitive Daft Punk track

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I want to like Get Lucky, but I just can't get past how poor those lyrics are.
    "Like the legend of the Phoenix
    All ends with beginings
    What keeps the planet spinning
    The force of the beginning."

Uhhh..what?
    I'd love an instrumental of this, but then It'd probably just sound like a Chic song then. I know it's a radio edit, but I hope there's more vocoder in the full version.

I miss the more techno sound of Homework. Some of the Tron songs had a bit more thump in them, but they were too short.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Reason Being View Post
    I really like it, but it does sound like the first time they're properly repeating themselves. I like it better than One More Time though, which everyone seems to adore. I start Discovery at track 2.
    Oh wow, I'm in the complete opposite. Maybe it's a nostalgic thing but our family moved into our new house around 2001 and the first music video I saw in the new house was Daft Punk's "One More Time". The video was super interesting but the music was just incredibly moving and made me a fan when I was only 13 or 14 years old. The song still to this day gives me goosebumps and gets me choked up in a way. Again, maybe it's just all the nostalgia within the context of that song but aside from being one of my favorite Daft Punk tracks...it's also one of my favorite songs of all time.

Discovery is so great.