Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Alice In Chains

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Confused they're advertising a pic disc but that looks like a regular vinyl. I just want a $20 standard repress.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Oh thank God, I'm not the only one looking at that like

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    It looks nice and I love that album, but I'm going to give it a pass. After the Music Bank boxset, I don't know what else is in the vaults.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    After the Music Bank boxset, I don't know what else is in the vaults.
    The 1989 Publisher Demos:

The "Suffragette City" cover, "Chemical Addiction", "King of the Kats" and "Queen of the Rodeo" (studio version) are yet unreleased...

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    The Museum of Pop Culture in Seattle is having an online benefit honoring Alice in Chains and the lineup is pretty sweet:

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Horrible lineup. Billy fuckin Corgan? Korn? Corey Taylor who is insufferable. Taylor Hawkins? Metallica? The same Metallica that used to goof on Layne for his drug problems and made fun of AIC for cancelling a tour together in the mid 90s? Was Fred Durst unavailable for this tribute?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I disagree. I, for one, am looking forward to seeing performances by Metallica, Mastodon, Billy Corgan (he may or may not be garbage, I admit), and Alice in Chains themselves. I'm also curious to see what Eddie Vedder, Robert Downey Jr. and Tom Morello have to say. Plus, it's free. I do wish that Tool (or at least Maynard) was involved, though.
    Last edited by sonic_discord; 11-18-2020 at 02:41 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Horrible lineup. Billy fuckin Corgan? Korn? Corey Taylor who is insufferable. Taylor Hawkins? Metallica? The same Metallica that used to goof on Layne for his drug problems and made fun of AIC for cancelling a tour together in the mid 90s? Was Fred Durst unavailable for this tribute?
    I mean, it's also the same Metallica that showed up for their Unplugged show so they buried some kind of hatchet.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    I mean, it's also the same Metallica that showed up for their Unplugged show so they buried some kind of hatchet.
    To my knowledge they always had a good relationship, they even performed live:

Last edited by henryeatscereal; 11-18-2020 at 06:10 PM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Yeah, I thought they were all friends that gave each other a good ribbing from time to time (like how Mike Inez wrote "Friends don't let friends get Friends haircuts" on his bass during AIC's MTV Unplugged show right after Load came out, for exmaple).

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    This doesn't seem like good ribbing. Notice Hetfield rubbing his arm as if he's about to shoot up (making fun of Layne)

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    This doesn't seem like good ribbing. Notice Hetfield rubbing his arm as if he's about to shoot up (making fun of Layne)

First of all, that video is 26 years old. Second, it seems like they patched things up rather quickly because the Metallica guys were in the audience – in the front row even – during Alice in Chains' MTV Unplugged concert (which was recorded in April of 1996). Metallica's cover of Tuesday's Gone from Garage, Inc. features Jerry Cantrell and Sean Kinney as well. I know he wasn't playing bass for Metallica back in those days, but Rob Trujillo is good friends with Jerry Cantrell and played bass on his solo album Degradation Trip. If James was making fun of Layne in the video you posted, it's just only because AIC pulled out of Metallica's 1994 Summer Sh*t tour, so they were probably just irritated by that and are clearly over it by now. James very publicly dealt with his own addiction issues 7 years later in 2001, so I'm sure it's all water under the bridge or they probably wouldn't be playing at this benefit.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    shit, i'm excited now: members of soundgarden with Tad Doyle + mike mccready! Does this mean the return of Tadgarden???

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Whether James is sorry now or not, it doesn't change the fact he came off like an asshole here. Playing a mock version of an AIC song and pretending to shoot up and making cracks like "we can't tour" because they were upset AIC pulled out of that '94 tour. Metallica were probably always down with Cantrell, because Layne is clearly the one they are mocking here.....The fact Metallica had to cancel a world tour years later because of Hetfield's drug problem is divine irony.....The Beastie Boys said it best. What goes around, comes around
    Last edited by Helpmeiaminhell (is now in hell); 11-18-2020 at 09:40 PM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Whether James is sorry now or not, it doesn't change the fact he came off like an asshole here. Playing a mock version of an AIC song and pretending to shoot up and making cracks like "we can't tour" because they were upset AIC pulled out of that '94 tour. Metallica were probably always down with Cantrell, because Layne is clearly the one they are mocking here.....The fact Metallica had to cancel a world tour years later because of Hetfield's drug problem is divine irony.....The Beastie Boys said it best. What goes around, comes around
    If you want to pull out Beastie Boys quotes, I'll direct you to Ad-Rock's quote “I'd rather be a hypocrite than the same person forever.”
    You can go ahead and continue being pissed about James being a bit of a dick 26 years ago, but people can change, gain perspective and evolve.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    If you want to pull out Beastie Boys quotes, I'll direct you to Ad-Rock's quote “I'd rather be a hypocrite than the same person forever.”
    You can go ahead and continue being pissed about James being a bit of a dick 26 years ago, but people can change, gain perspective and evolve.
    Hetfield may have gained perspective nowadays but its pretty obvious he used to be a total asshole. Look at the way he treated Jason. I guess Lars is the resident prick in Metallica these days. And if your job is to defend all of Metallica's mistakes.....I gotta say, you must have been very busy the last 26 years

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Yeah What a crap line up... all the bands/artists are legends, friends or fans of AIC. Absolutely makes no sense that they would participate in this.(Sarcasm)

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Sorry to interject, but one simply cannot be involved in an abortion like LULU or be responsible for some of the lyrics on that abomination and claim to have "gained perspective and evolved"..

I mean, no. Just no.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    Sorry to interject, but one simply cannot be involved in an abortion like LULU or be responsible for some of the lyrics on that abomination and claim to have "gained perspective and evolved"..

I mean, no. Just no.
    I'm certainly not going to defend Lulu, but Lou Reed wrote the lyrics.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    I'll give Hetfield credit for one thing. A couple years ago Lars and Kirk were ranting and raving about Trump on a daily basis which lead to a lot of their fans cursing them out on internet forums and threatening to boycott the band. Then Hetfield (a conservative) got wind of it and made a big statement about how he doesn't want the band to be political and he doesn't want to alienate fans because of political shit. Boom. Lars and Kirk have been dead silent on politics for the last 3 years. Not a peep. They ran into their corner with their tails between their legs after that. The way Hetfield shut them the fuck down in one shot was a thing of beauty. I give him credit for that.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    I'll give Hetfield credit for one thing. A couple years ago Lars and Kirk were ranting and raving about Trump on a daily basis which lead to a lot of their fans cursing them out on internet forums and threatening to boycott the band. Then Hetfield (a conservative) got wind of it and made a big statement about how he doesn't want the band to be political and he doesn't want to alienate fans because of political shit. Boom. Lars and Kirk have been dead silent on politics for the last 3 years. Not a peep. They ran into their corner with their tails between their legs after that. The way Hetfield shut them the fuck down in one shot was a thing of beauty. I give him credit for that.

Got any proof on that because last time I check, Kirk was not a fan of trump at all since he was pissed that Trump called global warming a hoax

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Best cover on the Dirt Redux tribute album

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I'm certainly not going to defend Lulu, but Lou Reed wrote the lyrics.
    LuLu was awesome. You get it or you don't.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    it is a very small island of people who 'get' lulu.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    @allegate, fair enough.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    It was a great ceremony, loved the tributes by Lanegan, Mastodon and Cornell's daughter.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    It was a great ceremony, loved the tributes by Lanegan, Mastodon and Cornell's daughter.
    Agreed! The Mastodon and Metallica performances were quite good, too. I wish that Billy Corgan hadn't done his acoustic, but it wasn't cringe-worthy, so I guess that's a win. I also have a very strong urge to visit the Museum of Pop Culture the next time I'm in Seattle! That place looks awesome.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Agreed! The Mastodon and Metallica performances were quite good, too. I wish that Billy Corgan hadn't done his acoustic, but it wasn't cringe-worthy, so I guess that's a win. I also have a very strong urge to visit the Museum of Pop Culture the next time I'm in Seattle! That place looks awesome.
    Oh yeah, i would love to go to the MoPOP.
    Corgan's performance was "meh", just like Korn's, they did an ok instrumentation, but the vocals were terrible.