Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Alice In Chains

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Alice In Chains

No Alice In Chains thread on the (semi)-new ETS?

So new single dropped a few ago and there is a new album slated for Spring 2013.

Discuss.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Not bad, but nothing unexpected to be honest. Im hoping for a more sludgy album.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I agree it's not bad at all. Kinda soulless (as always) without Layne's unexpected and beautifully twisted harmonies.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    As long as Jerry sings along every song then I can get into new AIC, but once its a solo from William, I lose interest. Which is a shame because I like the new material that is being written, but William is just not working for me.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    From a recent interview, I believe William will be doing vocals by himself for some tracks for the upcoming album.

I do like the mood of "Hollow" and seems like a good progression from Jerry's Degradation Trip and AIC's BGWTB

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I can't really get into William's vocals. If he's in the background, I can kinda phase him out. But if he sings lead, it doesn't work for me.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I just can't get behind this new AIC. It makes no sense to me. The last album had a couple of good tracks (A Looking in View, Check My Brain) - but as a whole it was basically a Jerry Cantrell album. Duvall is relegated to the background...and the lyrics are atrocious. Your Decision is pretty much the worst song AIC have ever recorded. The music simply isn't worthy of the AIC name anymore. They should do a new band with a new name. Cliche' or no, AIC now lacks exactly that element which made them special: Layne Staley. Or, if you will, the interplay between Staley's vocals and Cantrell's vocals and music. Having a Staley mini-me around is just wrong. I am baffled why BGWTB got such a good reception: it must be partly the sympathy vote.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I couldn't disagree more....with just about everything mentioned on this page so far.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    so the new album's titled "The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here"

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneSax View Post
    so the new album's titled "The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here"
    ANDDDDDD I actually laughed. But bring on the new music!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

looks like the title was hinted on their Xmas card to fans.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Looking forward to this, I still a big fan even without Layne.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    album due May 14th

tracklist as follows

Voices
    Low Ceiling
    Stone
    The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here
    Hollow
    Lab Monkey
    Hung On A Hook
    Pretty Done
    Breath On A Window
    Choke
    Phantom Limb

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    album cover

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    I'm going to give this album a chance.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    a user on blabbermouth actually found the meaning behind the album's cover

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Re: Alice In Chains

Quote Originally Posted by LaneSax View Post
    a user on blabbermouth actually found the meaning behind the album's cover

Oh, free time... I'll check the new album out. But I've got to admit how low my expectations are.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Now that i've seen that you can totally notice on the original the other head.

I'm sold now, that's pretty fucking cool. Going to buy it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Will definitely be getting this, not that I cared too much for Hollow, but I thought Black Gives Way to Blue was on the whole great stuff. Private Hell is a classic in my opinion.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    I have been on a 90'2 run lately in my itunes colection, and hence listening to a bunch of Alice in Chains. Must admit, I think the MTV unplugged thing was the best thing they ever did. Also cant really gain any interest in seeing the band anymore without Staley.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I tell you what. William is a better fit because he's a better and more well-rounded songwriter than Layne was. He's obviously a better guitar player than Layne was. And I've never read about William's addiction keeping them from tour dates and studio time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I saw them with William and the show was AMAZING!

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ComaAlpha View Post
    I tell you what. William is a better fit because he's a better and more well-rounded songwriter than Layne was. He's obviously a better guitar player than Layne was. And I've never read about William's addiction keeping them from tour dates and studio time.
    I disagree with all of that (obviously) except for the drug part. Layne was never a formidable guitarist, nor was he ever meant to be. Cantrell was/is more than capable. Personally, I don't care for William. Doesn't fit with the band as far as I'm concerned.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    I disagree with all of that (obviously) except for the drug part. Layne was never a formidable guitarist, nor was he ever meant to be. Cantrell was/is more than capable. Personally, I don't care for William. Doesn't fit with the band as far as I'm concerned.
    Not to mention the fact that Staley brought the band to its peak, not William. Staley made that band everything it was, not doubt about it.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Coma are you a street-teamer? If so, your interventions are misguided. I'm sure nobody, not even William DuVall, Cantrell and the rest of them would argue that William is better than Layne.
    That's just crazy talk.
    Last edited by aggroculture; 03-25-2013 at 11:09 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    Coma are you a street-teamer? If so, your interventions are misguided. I'm sure nobody, not even William DuVall, Cantrell and the rest of them would argue that William is better than Layne.
    That's just crazy talk.
    I'm not saying that William is better than Layne. 'Cause I've already hear moments in Chains songs where William or James or Maynard or Phil just sound wrong. But he's the guy that Jerry chose and in my opinion, the band was, is and always will be Jerry first and foremost. Layne and anyone else second.

And again, he's clean. That's a big plus for me considering that I didn't discover them until about 2000, 2001. Right before Layne's death.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    To me something has never felt right about bringing in another singer and attempting to sort of replace Layne.

The new guy has a good voice and a couple of their new tracks sound sort of alright. But its just not the same, not as good. Just this constant air of it not being as good as it was, elephant in the room of people wishing Layne was there instead.

Thing that made Alice in Chains so special was like Joy Division or Nirvana they were able to beautifully translate that feeling of Layne's seemingly unstoppable downward spiral into their music they were able to create a claustrophobic, harsh doomy vibe that seemed very real. Dirt still scares me. Its a very real document of someone sinking in mud. Its one of Rock musics quintessential Heroin albums.
    Layne's voice always stood out for me, the Seattle bands of the late 80s early 90s all had great vocalists like Chris Cornell etc but Layne's never seemed over the top.
    I can see why all the Metal bands loved them, They were the perfect hard rock band. Tracks like Man in the Box, Grind, Them Bones, blow me away.
    Just think the new band does not have the same power.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I agree with everything you say, except where you say the new stuff doesn't sound as good. I think it sounds better. And the fact that you called them a "new" band. It's same band. Jerry, Mike and Sean are still the band, so it's not a NEW Alice in Chains.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    i think that saying "I like the new alice in chains better" is like saying I prefer sublime with rome over Sublime.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

The newer stuff has grown on me some since it came out. I'm probably very biased, but I wouldn't have replaced Layne. Slipknot lost their bassist and they're not replacing him. I'd much rather Cantrell do the vocals. Let William be the backup/tour member.