Thread: Alice In Chains

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Coma are you a street-teamer? If so, your interventions are misguided. I'm sure nobody, not even William DuVall, Cantrell and the rest of them would argue that William is better than Layne.
    That's just crazy talk.
    Last edited by aggroculture; 03-25-2013 at 11:09 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aggroculture View Post
    Coma are you a street-teamer? If so, your interventions are misguided. I'm sure nobody, not even William DuVall, Cantrell and the rest of them would argue that William is better than Layne.
    That's just crazy talk.
    I'm not saying that William is better than Layne. 'Cause I've already hear moments in Chains songs where William or James or Maynard or Phil just sound wrong. But he's the guy that Jerry chose and in my opinion, the band was, is and always will be Jerry first and foremost. Layne and anyone else second.

And again, he's clean. That's a big plus for me considering that I didn't discover them until about 2000, 2001. Right before Layne's death.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    To me something has never felt right about bringing in another singer and attempting to sort of replace Layne.

The new guy has a good voice and a couple of their new tracks sound sort of alright. But its just not the same, not as good. Just this constant air of it not being as good as it was, elephant in the room of people wishing Layne was there instead.

Thing that made Alice in Chains so special was like Joy Division or Nirvana they were able to beautifully translate that feeling of Layne's seemingly unstoppable downward spiral into their music they were able to create a claustrophobic, harsh doomy vibe that seemed very real. Dirt still scares me. Its a very real document of someone sinking in mud. Its one of Rock musics quintessential Heroin albums.
    Layne's voice always stood out for me, the Seattle bands of the late 80s early 90s all had great vocalists like Chris Cornell etc but Layne's never seemed over the top.
    I can see why all the Metal bands loved them, They were the perfect hard rock band. Tracks like Man in the Box, Grind, Them Bones, blow me away.
    Just think the new band does not have the same power.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I agree with everything you say, except where you say the new stuff doesn't sound as good. I think it sounds better. And the fact that you called them a "new" band. It's same band. Jerry, Mike and Sean are still the band, so it's not a NEW Alice in Chains.