Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Alice In Chains

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    'Cause Slipknot lost a musician. Had they lost the clown or the dj or one of the many members that don't matter, than they would be continuing on.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    but how can you have slipknot without the clown???

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Re: Alice In Chains

They lost their bassist, who they're not replacing. You're missing the point.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

It was never their intention to sorta replace Layne. It sorta just happened. Jerry also wrote many lyrics in that time, but the feeling and such Layne put in them made them that much better. I can't really listen to the chains anymore because it keeps managing to put me in a place I'd rather not be (I don't have this with NIN). Anyways, William sure has his place with the rest of the band and is more than just a good vocalist. The matter if he is better or not as apposed to Layne is ridiculous, Layne really was something else. Drugged, broken or whatever, there was just something to him. I don't mind they still call it AIC, I will still go to a gig when they are in the country, and I'm sure I will enjoy it just for the rocking out. They still put on a mean performance. I've never got a chance to see them with Layne, but at the least I can hear some of those songs live with the guys who were there recording that stuff way back when. Their post Layne stuff is ok, and I sure still will give the coming album a listen, I just hope the lyrical content is somewhat less depressing. So far for my random rambling.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by profane View Post
    So far for my random rambling.
    Rambling? I agree with everything you said. I think I liked BGWTB more than you did, but I also liked CWTF when I discovered them.

Personally I think Layne's best vocal work was in the Mad Season album. X-Ray Mind is one of my favorite songs of all time. Speaking of, Mike McCready said there should be a new Mad Season album.....now I'm rambling.

EDIT- Oh yeah, I've seen Slipknot live twice in my life and both times they were outshined by the band that opened for them (Jeagermeister music tour 2004 and Ozfest). If they didn't have the cheerleaders I would have so much more respect for them. Sucks that Paul died.

oh and Piko, I got your point. I proved mine, different bands with different situations. So why even bother comparing them. That and any band that has more than 5 members and doesn't have someone named Sly or Stone in it should just not exist.
    Last edited by ComaAlpha; 03-25-2013 at 06:40 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    new single, Stone

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Another new track, Phantom Limb. Listen before it disappears. This track is sounding pretty decent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I already have Stone and Hollow on my MP3 player. I didn't know Phantom Limb was leaked. I can't wait to have the whole album. I'm gonna have to learn one of the new songs before the release date of the album. And as I keep listening, I keep thinking that William's voice is very unique..........

Oh and that Baracuda cover with Gwetchen Wilson just make a new Music Bank album.
    Last edited by ComaAlpha; 03-26-2013 at 12:14 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    so far these new tracks haven't impressed me much but Phantom Limb is the best one so far.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/f56...eatured_videos

never thought I'd see Jerry shake his booty like that...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Hollow is okay- sounds too much like the last album and is just a bit overlong and repetitive. Stone is great. Not going to listen to Phantom Limb. Trying not to listen to these tracks too much before the actual album comes out...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I really pisses me off that AIC post Layne is basically Jerry Cantrell solo and they hired a back up singer. If you hire a new lead singer, let the fucker be a lead singer. damn

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Truth is, if he sang lead, they would catch a lot of flack. Personally, they should never have hired the new guy. I'm fine with them continuing on with Jerry picking up the vocals. That's the way it should be. And I partially agree about the solo stuff. But it DOES have more of a AIC feel than the solo stuff. It's the same band after all, not counting Duvall (think that's his name). I still think he's out of place. But at long as he still sits in the backseat, it'll be alright. They won't relive their glory days, but they'll still put out better material than nickel back and their clones.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Duval is standing in front of the rest of the band in the video. That's some kind of leading no?

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by profane View Post
    Duval is standing in front of the rest of the band in the video. That's some kind of leading no?
    Maynard stands behind his band whilst playing live...does that make him a backup singer?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    Maynard stands behind his band whilst playing live...does that make him a backup singer?
    Haha ok, you got me there. But I was joking anyway.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reznor2112 View Post
    I really pisses me off that AIC post Layne is basically Jerry Cantrell solo and they hired a back up singer. If you hire a new lead singer, let the fucker be a lead singer. damn
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    Truth is, if he sang lead, they would catch a lot of flack.
    Why? It's the only thing that could have saved them. A new singer we could take seriously as a replacement for Layne.

They won't relive their glory days, but they'll still put out better material than nickel back and their clones.
    The standard is old AIC, not Nickelback: pretty much the entirety of all music ever is better than Nickelback, so that's not much of an achievement.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Can't believe how little promo there is for this album, compared to QOTSA! QOTSA's 'new snippet every other day' promo, let's face it, worked. Thought it would spoil the album, but not at all.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Seriously.. Duvall is barely shown in the video. It's a shame. He is a fantastic singer and front man. When I saw them live promoting the new album, that guy was a freight train as a front man. I wonder how he feels about getting the back seat in the video... and in the band in general.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    manage to find a leak link for this but i need to sign up for an account and i don't really like doin that on some sites incase its bullshit and end up with constant spamming, has anyone else found anythin

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

I wouldn't mess with that. If it's legit, it'll have no trouble finding it's way to the public.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Alice In Chains

finally leaked, going very slow for now though so probably gonna take a while

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Just finished it. I'm a little disappointed, to be quite honest. It doesn't have the variety of BGWTB (not necessarily a bad thing) which allows for a pretty consistent mood, but none of the songs really grabbed me other than "Pretty Done." Gonna have to give it a few more listens, but unless my opinion changes greatly, I think this is probably my least favorite release from them since Facelift.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Just listened to it. Im sorry, I tried to like it but AIC is done in my eyes. It doesnt have that same feel as when Layne was the vocalist. This album sound exactly like BGWTB to me. Nothing new. Just more Jerry Cantrell solo shit.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I don't know if I even want to listen. I really think they could have gone somewhere if Duval had been given the full lead role in the band. Too bad.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I hated Black Gives Way to Blue - it felt like a sluggish mess, and seemed like they went out of their way to make the safest AIC album possible. Even with Layne gone I thought Cantrell could carry the band into a new era without trouble, but his vision for the project was a lot more narrow than I had hoped for. Nothing had the immediate force of "We Die Young", the experimentation of "Sludge Factory", or even the earnest passion of "Heaven Beside You" . All that was there were a couple radio-friendly singles and forgettable alt-metal with repetitive riffs brickwalled to death over generic lyrics/hooks.

On that note, I sorta like the new album. The songs are livelier, and the riffs aren't nearly as repetitive and brickwalled. Most songs are still pretty forgettable and safe; not a single hook was catchy enough for me to remember. But at least it's a slight step up from Black Gives Way to Blue (just don't have any high expectations)

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I think all that time hanging out w/ Nickelturd has really seeped into Jerry Cantrell's head.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Think I'm liking it more than the last one. Still feels too soon for me to really cast any judgements on it. But, from my first listen, there were some gems there that caught my attention (Pretty Done).

I think if Layne were still alive and had AIC remained, that the end result would probably be the same (minus William in the background). Only so much you can do until you start repeating yourself.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    Think I'm liking it more than the last one. Still feels too soon for me to really cast any judgements on it. But, from my first listen, there were some gems there that caught my attention (Pretty Done).

I think if Layne were still alive and had AIC remained, that the end result would probably be the same (minus William in the background). Only so much you can do until you start repeating yourself.
    I basically agree with that line.

While i liked Alice In Chains, the album, i thought the overall sludgy feel to was a turn in the wrong direction. I felt that the blend of heavy and melody that they had done prior was a good mix of the two. While with that last one it seemed to be stretching towards the then new alterna-i can't really play or if i can i wont-metal shit that was coming out around that time. Granted i felt they did it well and as i said i like that album it just seemed like the wrong direction. And from what i heard of the last album and the bits of this new one it would seem to me at least that i was right.