Thread: Coachella 2013

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Coachella 2013

HDTA first announced live performance Friday April 12 and 19 at Coachella

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Second line billing, not too bad.

I sure hope someone gets a decent recording of the set, 'cause there's no way in hell I'd ever be able to go to Coachella.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    I wonder if this will be their first show?
    Either way, tapers at the ready

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Guess we can rule out the possibilty of NIN returning to stage in 2013. Guess I can change my vacation now. Had the week after Coachella booked off in case NIN was announced at the festival and did their own run of dates after the festival.

I didn't want a week off in April anyway, have too many things going on in July that i'd rather use the vacation time for, so this necesscarily isn't a bad thing!

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    the lineup besides is actually pretty great. Stone Roses, Nick Cave, Sigur Ros, New Order, Wu Tang, Grinderman, Beach House, Lou Reed, Johnny Marr, Aesop Rock, Dead Can Dance, James Blake, Tame Impala, Spiritualized, El-P, Stars, Puscifer, Dinosaur Jr, Four Tet, Richie Hawtin... yeah, I'm going

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    the lineup besides is actually pretty great. Stone Roses, Nick Cave, Sigur Ros, New Order, Wu Tang, Grinderman, Beach House, Lou Reed, Johnny Marr, Aesop Rock, Dead Can Dance, James Blake, Tame Impala, Spiritualized, El-P, Stars, Puscifer, Dinosaur Jr, Four Tet, Richie Hawtin... yeah, I'm going
    Puscifer was on there?? I should give it another look, didn't see them! Did see The Faint though, and they're awesome.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Is Coachella one of those festivals that does livestreams on things like YouTube?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Is Coachella one of those festivals that does livestreams on things like YouTube?
    they were last year

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Nick Cave...Grinderman
    interesting that both bands are playing the same festival, since one band is basically a miniature version of the other.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    interesting to note that MQ just said this will be their live DEBUT

so there won't be any shows prior to this.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    interesting that both bands are playing the same festival, since one band is basically a miniature version of the other.
    Almost the same thing happened last summer at the River's Edge Music festival in St Paul, MN. But with Tool and Puscifer.
    Tool played one night (June 23) and Puscifer played the next night (June 24).

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Horrible lineup. San Franchello here I come I already have emancipator, sigur ros tickets, now I'm getting nick cave and of course my nigga Trent other than that this festival peaked at 2010.
    Last edited by Rdm; 01-25-2013 at 12:21 AM.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Best lineup in years, the undercard is stacked, and they got rid of the tons of shitty EDM music that plugged the fest recently.

But yeah, I'm not seeing HTDA unless there's absolutely nobody else playing and I happen not to be hungry.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdm View Post
    Horrible lineup. San Franchello here I come I already have emancipator, sigur ros tickets, now I'm getting nick cave and of course my nigga Trent other than that this festival peaked at 2010.
    I respectfully disagree. Maybe it's because I'm a huge fan of them all, but no festival featuring Nick Cave (and his supposedly defunct side project), Dead Can Dance, reunited Stone Roses, and New Order on the lineup is by any stretch "horrible." Fuck, at this point, I'm sold on Nick Cave and Grinderman alone.

Also, the best lineup this festival has seen was probably 2004, with Radiohead following a reunited Pixes (before Kraftwerk).

And regarding the Nick Cave + Grinderman thing, it happens, especially when the festival requires all bands to play two weeks in a row. I went to Coachella the first year, and Perfect Circle played the first day and Tool headlined the second. Jamie XX is playing day 2 as well alongside XX playing (not that it really floats my boat either way, but it makes sense).

I would argue with Kid C that this festival is still bullshit with regards to the electronic lineup, but maybe I'm in the minority there. It's great that we get Richie Hawtin again, and I like a lot of the other acts billed, but they could do a lot better. fuck Infected Mushroom (fuck them so very very much). Their presence hurts. They are so fucking lame. IM now is about as cool as LMFAO.

They've improved since lately, but the first year Mu-Ziq and Autechre were on the bill... I miss that kind of greatness on the electronic lineup.
    Last edited by Jinsai; 01-25-2013 at 12:54 AM.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Violent Femmes on this motherfucker! Surprised at no Deerhunter or Clinic, both are at Austin Psych Fest in late April, thought they'd be a lock.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
    Best lineup in years, the undercard is stacked, and they got rid of the tons of shitty EDM music that plugged the fest recently.

But yeah, I'm not seeing HTDA unless there's absolutely nobody else playing and I happen not to be hungry.
    get a load of THIS guy

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Wow, hopefully an extra club show in LA during that week.
    Primar thoughts to make the trip...

The rest of the line up is awesome.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    I don't know anything about Coachella. Are they on at night or inside ? Otherwise it seems bizarre for a band with emphasis on visuals to play a festival

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    emphasis on visuals? every band is "emphasis on the music," even if the visuals help

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    emphasis on visuals? every band is "emphasis on the music," even if the visuals help
    Emphasis is probably the wrong word, what I mean is visuals are important enough to warrant Rob Sheridan being part of the band or collective, why debut somewhere where they'll get lost in daylight? (which is why I asked whether they were performing inside or at night when that opinion will be moot)

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I don't know anything about Coachella. Are they on at night or inside ? Otherwise it seems bizarre for a band with emphasis on visuals to play a festival
    The appearances at this festival will bankroll their tour. That's what you need to know.

But seriously... I would guess that, based on their placement on the lineup poster, they'll be in daylight on an outside stage on in one of the tents. (Supposedly the tents hold 3,000, 7,000 and 15,000 people.) But whatever the case, they'll get a big, diverse audience.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    I agree that it will most likely during daylight. It will be interesting to set how they do in a festival context. People can be disinterested by something pretty fast.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    J5 would be great to see live... been years since double clicked their MP3. Oakenfold is decent too!

PUSCIFER & HTDA FUCK YEA; get TR on stage for potions. I'm not a HUGE TOOL fan but Puscifer hit me the right way and I can't get enough of V, C & Conditions... when I 1st heard 'Vagina Mine' my mind melted.... anyways that's off topic.

I'm eagerly waiting to see & feel more of HTDA. Ice Age & The Loop Closes video was revealing. Also interested to see how they are onstage. How much automation, live istruments, keyboards? I'm gathering a lot of the mod synth stuff will be live... background synth can be auto. Will Atticus/Sheridan focus on percs or will that be automated too?

It's a high energy show so let's see what their set list is like & how much time they get. I'll be getting married that weekend so I guess my fiancées wish of having TR play 'Eyes without a face' at our ceremony is out of the question...
    Last edited by snaapz; 01-25-2013 at 11:27 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Emphasis is probably the wrong word, what I mean is visuals are important enough to warrant Rob Sheridan being part of the band or collective, why debut somewhere where they'll get lost in daylight? (which is why I asked whether they were performing inside or at night when that opinion will be moot)
    well, as we've seen from the videos, it's likely that rob will have more of a musical role live, even if that wasn't the case during the actual recording process.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I guess Trent has enough experience to make this an awesome gig, even if it is in daylight.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Are you guys all fucking vampires or something, who cares what time of day it is

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    They're billed third line, so they'll either be in a tent at night, or on a stage during the late afternoon. Schedules aren't usually announced till a day or two before it. If anything, they'll be on the Outdoor Theater which always has the best acts but has the worst fucking sound of any stage. Surprised they're billed before Passion Shit.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    This news means nothing to me seeing as I absolutely cannot make Coachella in a million years but seeing as it's a festival that puts more emphasis on Modest Mouse than HTDA I have no doubt in my mind that this is not the festival for me. I just cross my fingers a relatively decent quality video appears and they tour my direction

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Are you guys all fucking vampires or something, who cares what time of day it is
    Uhhh, I don't think anybody here (so far) "cares." WorzelG brought it up because the rumor/assumption is that the band will be highly visual live, and daylight fucks with visuals.
    Last edited by jessamineny; 01-25-2013 at 10:45 AM.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Everybody cares I think. Vibe of a shows is always better when it's dark. That is scientifically proven!