Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Pantera

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by think i'm a fire engine View Post
    People wonder why metal is a genre that's barely a percentage point of it's relevance just a decade ago. Then they hate every new band that's mildly popular and actively discourage the surviving members of popular bands of the past with carrying on the brand. There's a very limited window of time when these guys are gonna even be alive. You can either appreciate them now while there's still some time, or you can bury these songs in the ground and never see them played live again by any of the creators that are left. There is apparently a lot appetite for the former, but I do not understand all the people who are like personally offended on the behalf of the Abbotts. Clearly it sucks that they're gone. The guys that are left. It's not just their right. It's their responsibility to carry this on while they still can.
    I think it's just the fact that they're calling themselves Pantera. If Trent died would you be cool with the rest of the band touring as NIN? Phil has been playing Pantera songs with his band for a while...but nobody cared because it wasn't billed as Pantera.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Out of curiosity, has anyone listened to the new "Pantera"? I've seen some tapes floating around out there of the first gig but it was a pain in the butt to download.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    It sounds good despite it being a little strange hearing Zakk's guitar tones rather than Dime's tones. I mean I get him not directly stealing the tones, and leaving that sound for Dime, but at the same time it does make it feel a bit more like a covers band than it should.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    The band sounded great!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Phil sounds pretty good, Zakk isn't as precise as Dime on the solos but they all sound good IMO.

The family is down with this so I guess I don't have any issue with it. Of course it's not the same but all power to them.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak33 View Post
    Phil sounds pretty good, Zakk isn't as precise as Dime on the solos but they all sound good IMO.

The family is down with this so I guess I don't have any issue with it. Of course it's not the same but all power to them.
    The family is down with it b/c they're getting paid.

Calling this Cowboys From Hell, as has been said in thread, would be a perfect compromise.
    Last edited by bobbie solo; 01-06-2023 at 02:11 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    The family down with it b/c they're getting paid.

Calling this Cowboys From Hell, as has been said in thread, would be a perfect compromise.
    Good point.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    The family down with it b/c they're getting paid.

No, it really wouldn't.

Granted, I'm a sports fan. So i'm a little more used to established brands evolving and changing over time. Like, Michael Jordan was the best to ever do it, but the Chicago Bulls didn't just disappear when he retired. I don't want Pantera to disappear. I like nostalgia of hearing these songs played again, but different. I think Zakk is the most interesting player you could have in that role. He has his own sound and pedigree and style to play the songs without sounding like a cheap copy. In a cooler world, more people would be interested in Phil Anselmo solo shows or tributes to Pantera or other great bands of the past. But they're not. Without the name and the brand Pantera, this just doesn't happen.

I enjoy the buzz. I like seeing people talk about it. I liked Oma Englund's reaction videos with him just nerding out about it. These songs were some of the most formative of my early years listening to music, but memory is only worth so much. Hearing them played live again NOW is amazing.
    Last edited by think i'm a fire engine; 01-05-2023 at 08:54 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Pantera festival appearances in Germany cancelled over ..... you guessed it.... racist shit that Phil has done

https://blabbermouth.net/news/panteras-appearances-at-german-rock-festivals-canceled-following-outcry-over-accusations-of-racism

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Not surprising. Germans take that shit way more serious than we do, sadly. And while I am a fan of pretty much every band Phil has done, I do not feel bad for him continuing to feel repercussions for the stupid shit he's said, in fact I kinda welcome it.

unrelated, this song will always rip: