Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Pantera

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    Time to re-release those 80's albums.
    Those albums are shit. Only listenable one was Power Metal and that's because of Phil.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Those albums are shit. Only listenable one was Power Metal and that's because of Phil.
    They are bad, but they might as well release them so fans can complete their collections. And they must have some fans.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)

1st ever performance of Suicide Note Part 1

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Just listened to Hellbound after that. Phil’s voice sounds... pretty damn good? This is grading on a curve obviously but he did better than I expected.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm Interested can you pm me ?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Obligatory album ranking:

1. Cowboys From Hell
    2. Far Beyond Driven
    3. Vulgar Display of Power
    4. The Great Southern Trendkill
    5. Reinventing the Steel
    6. Power Metal
    7. I am the Night
    8. Projects in the Jungle
    9. Metal Magic

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Wonder when Kerry King is finally going to reveal his project with Phil, Gary Holt & Paul Bostaph that he's been sitting on all through Covid.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    Obligatory album ranking:

1. Cowboys From Hell
    2. Far Beyond Driven
    3. Vulgar Display of Power
    4. The Great Southern Trendkill
    5. Reinventing the Steel
    6. Power Metal
    7. I am the Night
    8. Projects in the Jungle
    9. Metal Magic
    while i have no problem with this list - i feel like Steel is criminally underrated. i dont think there's a weak track to be found.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Well that's sacrilege

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Eh, I saw Phil do his covers set opening for Slayer, idk if having Rex on bass would be considered a reunion considering half the band is dead.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Not to knock those two fellows, but they're not the best things about that band. I would hope they reconsider.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    There's no Pantera without Vinnie and Dime, sorry, that's just the way it is...

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Rex said something about doing sold out stadium shows. LOLOLOL I'm sorry fellerrrrs but there is no way you're gonna be doing anything other than half filled arenas full of discount tickets without the Abbott Bros.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    There's no Pantera without Vinnie and Dime, sorry, that's just the way it is...
    Prior to Vince passing, I think this MIGHT have been acceptable, if Phil hadn't already been out on the road doing covers of these songs. Lots of good guitarist that could have carried the torch for Dime, that I'm sure the fans would have accepted too. But without Vinny, they really just seem desperate here and especially with band management making announcements here it seems like a corporate cash grab. I'll pass.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    Prior to Vince passing, I think this MIGHT have been acceptable, if Phil hadn't already been out on the road doing covers of these songs. Lots of good guitarist that could have carried the torch for Dime, that I'm sure the fans would have accepted too. But without Vinny, they really just seem desperate here and especially with band management making announcements here it seems like a corporate cash grab. I'll pass.
    The problem with that was Vinny just refused to speak with Phil at all also cut Rex out of his life too, simply because he was in the crossfire of it all. Vinny was pretty much the reason why it didn't happen sooner because he held onto grudges.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    So it’s Zakk Wylde (no surprise) & Charlie Benante

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneSax View Post
    I mean, was Zakk Wylde ever known to play thrash riffs in Dime's style? Seems kind of a weird choice, but hey maybe he'll pull it off. Either way, I'm not for this whole thing.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneSax View Post
    I kind of wish Dave Lombardo got the gig. I always wanted to hear his interpretation of Becoming.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Just don't bill this as "Pantera."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Yeah... I don't think anyone wants this. Not to diminish the talent of anyone else in the band, but the biggest reason I love Pantera is Dimebag's guitar. It's the reason I got into them, and why I still enjoy them. To this day, his playing still feels unique. I think Zakk Wylde and Charlie Benante are talented guys, but Dimebag is unimitable.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Also, it's not REALLY a reunion for Rex and Phil since Rex played bass in damn near every one of Phil's side projects.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

A post shared by on

Pantera was formed in Arlington, Texas in 1981 by the brothers Abbott: Vinnie Paul and Darrell who originally went by Diamond and later Dimebag. Rex Brown played in the high school band with the Abbotts and joined the band in 1982. The band released three albums with Terry Glaze on vocals. The band’s first three records were produced by the Abbott brothers’ father Jerry.

Phil Anselmo joined Pantera in 1988 but did not fully assume lead vocal duties until 1990 when he was on Cowboys From Hell. The band would be together for another 13 years until things fell apart. The band formally broke up in 2003.

The Abbott brothers did not stop playing together. In 2003 they formed Damageplan. The band released one record in 2004. On Dec 1st 2004, Anselmo did an interview with Metal Hammer where he laid the blame for Pantera’s demise squarely on Dimebag. In the interview stated “So physically, of course, he deserves to be beaten severely.” One week later, on Dec 8th 2004, a deranged fan named Nathan Gale jumped on stage in Columbus and gunned down Dimebag as well as four other people.

On Dec 14th, 2004, Dimebag Darrell was laid to rest in Arlington, Texas. Phil Anselmo was barred from the funeral by both Dimebag’s longtime partner Rita and Vinnie Paul. The family held Phil personally responsible for Dimebag’s death. Vinnie Paul never spoke to Phil Anselmo ever again. On Jun 22nd, 2018 Vinnie Paul died from heart failure. He took his hatred to the grave.

A year after Vinnie Paul died, Phil Anselmo announced he would be doing a Pantera set on the final Slayer tour. He waited long enough for the Abbott brothers to die to start MONETIZING those songs again. Today, Jul 13th 2022, music industry professionals announced Pantera would be “reuniting” in 2023.

There is no Pantera without the Abbott brothers. Not now, not ever. I know in these late stage capitalism entertainment times, all of kinds of stupid stuff gets packaged but this is something else. Phil is a ghoul for waiting for the Abbott brothers to die off to use the name again.

Fuck him and fuck this despicable shit
    One of my best follows on IG. I wouldn't go as hard as this take goes, but I'm close.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Zakk Wylde "Of course it's not Pantera."

On Wednesday (Oct. 26), Wylde told Ultimate Guitar, "It was so funny, because somebody was like, 'It's not Pantera!' Of course it's not Pantera. [Laughs] It's Phil [Anselmo, Pantera's lead vocalist], Rex [Brown, Pantera's bassist] and two of their buddies getting together to honor Dime, Vinnie and all their achievements."

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Back in the day I saw a Ministry show with Pantera & Helmet opening. I think my ears are still ringing.....

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndItKeepsRepeating View Post
    They could be like Last In Line, which is a band made up of former members of Dio. They could bill/record as "Cowboys From Hell."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    People wonder why metal is a genre that's barely a percentage point of it's relevance just a decade ago. Then they hate every new band that's mildly popular and actively discourage the surviving members of popular bands of the past with carrying on the brand. There's a very limited window of time when these guys are gonna even be alive. You can either appreciate them now while there's still some time, or you can bury these songs in the ground and never see them played live again by any of the creators that are left. There is apparently a lot appetite for the former, but I do not understand all the people who are like personally offended on the behalf of the Abbotts. Clearly it sucks that they're gone. The guys that are left. It's not just their right. It's their responsibility to carry this on while they still can.
    Last edited by think i'm a fire engine; 12-04-2022 at 11:54 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I went to see the Slayer/ Ministry/ Phil Ansemo/ Primus tour in Dec 2019 and Phil's band played an entire set of Pantera songs, and I didn't have a problem with that at all. It sounded great and the crowd loved it. Also the Ministry set was comprised of songs from 88 to 92, and I didn't have any problem with that as well