Page 487 of 527 FirstFirst ... 387 437 477 485 486 487 488 489 497 ... LastLast
Results 14,581 to 14,610 of 15809

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    NIN former members spotting, both on Instagram:
    Josh Freese posted a photo of a can of La Croix in a studio recently. Made me sort of wish he was doing stuff with NIN (only because it would mean new NIN)
    and Aaron North was doing a live stream next to all of his guitar gear. Makes me happy he still has all that stuff despite all the crap he's been through.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Why are we still talking about a 10 month old soundtrack? TR has done more press for the fucking Watchmen than the last 3 NIN albums combined....

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Why are we still talking about a 10 month old soundtrack? TR has done more press for the fucking Watchmen than the last 3 NIN albums combined....
    Controversial opinion warning!!

And it wasn't even very good!
    Fight me.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Because it's fucking awesome? Because HBO is involved? Why are you complaining about an abundance of Trent & Atticus interviews? If you're just wishing aloud that they had made some interviews centered around Bad Witch or Ghosts V & VI, I guess I'm with you there.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Maybe because they just won an Emmy?
    Goddamn...

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Better get used to it as we have Mank to come, a total Oscar bait film for Netflix. Also I’m interested in how they did a socially distanced big band / orchestral score.

I don’t understand how people are so negative about this, it’s not stopping NIN anyway you just have to be patient. I think winning an Oscar for their first ever film score and an Emmy for their first TV score is an incredible achievement and it feels like vindication for my music taste personally. it does help that I do love the scores though
    Last edited by WorzelG; 09-22-2020 at 01:19 AM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Awards campaigning 101: Whenever a film, performance, soundtrack etc has any chance of earning nomination, you don't just sit around and wait for things to happen. You hire a PR firm that gets the word out about your project and then you do as much press as possible to make sure the voting members hear about you. HBO definitely put some money on the table to hire PR that scored them as many interviews as possible. That's why you are still hearing about it, and have been hearing about it for months, because they knew they had decent chances of getting a nomination/win.
    Last edited by Ash512; 09-22-2020 at 08:15 AM.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Remember when Patriots Day kind of flopped at the cinema? No press whatsoever as far as I can recall

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    Better get used to it as we have Mank to come, a total Oscar bait film for Netflix. Also I’m interested in how they did a socially distanced big band / orchestral score.
    They're trying to get Mank out for this Oscar season, no? If so, it'll be an intense campaign but much shorter than Watchmen.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    They're trying to get Mank out for this Oscar season, no? If so, it'll be an intense campaign but much shorter than Watchmen.
    Not to mention Soul in November.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)

Random NIN Thoughts

it was getting drifty in nin spotting so i moved the comments here.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    ‘Right Where It Belongs’ is Trent’s meditation on life as a Boltzmann Brain.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    Why are you complaining?
    Me looking at every one of their posts.

To me, it seems like Watchmen lit a creative fire for them, and with all the love that's been given to it, I can see why they want to discuss it. Also, when you get to do fun stuff like that Rolling Stone interview, why WOULDN'T you want to do it?
    Last edited by BRoswell; 09-22-2020 at 10:39 AM.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Me looking at every one of their posts.

To me, it seems like Watchmen lit a creative fire for them, and with all the love that's been given to it, I can see why they want to discuss it. Also, when you get to do fun stuff like that Rolling Stone interview, why WOULDN'T you want to do it?
    Not only the LM bit at the end but having them in the studio breaking down the songs the way they did in the Rolling Stone vid (and outtake) was really great stuff. Even if the breakdown was very basic. More of that stuff, please.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I've been loving all the interviews Trent and Atticus have done regarding Watchmen. I didn't really pay attention to the score or the show upon release. But after listening to the score and watching all these interviews where they break down their process, talk about how they recorded certain things, and even just the general feelings of anxiety they had while making it, I appreciate the score even more. And it's inspired to actually watch the show. I'll gladly take all the press they're doing right now, especially since fuck all is happening in 2020. It's a welcome distraction.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Gotta say, the Watchmen score(s) gets better the more you spend time with it (them?). I've just made one long 2-hour playlist of all three and let it rip. The prolonged interview campaign for it has been entertaining as fuck, too..

As long as they are releasing new music, I couldn't care less if they do any press for it or not (Waves, Ghosts, Bird Box Deluxe). The quality is still there..

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Had a bizarre revelation just now. I was looking through some Fragile-era artwork, and came across the cover for Things Falling Apart, and as I stared at it for a few seconds, I suddenly realized what the cover actually is. For as long as I've been into NIN, I'd always just sort of written off the TFA cover as some weird abstract tendril shit. But my caveman brain finally put the pieces together about it.

It's a blurry photo of a plant, from an underneath angle, the weird blue-grey background color being the sky. Blew my mind. It also makes the cover vastly more interesting to me, because it's actually something instead of a bunch of weird shapes.

I know that this is probably a super basic realization - plants are a fundamental part of The Fragile's entire iconography, and everything is "photo taken at weird angle and crazy blurry" - but it still is kind of crazy to me that it's a photo of something recognizable.

I had this exact same realization about Still's cover a while ago, but I think that's more justifiable because the doesn't really give you anything to work with unless you're looking at the extended art.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gorast View Post
    Had a bizarre revelation just now. I was looking through some Fragile-era artwork, and came across the cover for Things Falling Apart, and as I stared at it for a few seconds, I suddenly realized what the cover actually is. For as long as I've been into NIN, I'd always just sort of written off the TFA cover as some weird abstract tendril shit. But my caveman brain finally put the pieces together about it.

It's a blurry photo of a plant, from an underneath angle, the weird blue-grey background color being the sky. Blew my mind. It also makes the cover vastly more interesting to me, because it's actually something instead of a bunch of weird shapes.

I know that this is probably a super basic realization - plants are a fundamental part of The Fragile's entire iconography, and everything is "photo taken at weird angle and crazy blurry" - but it still is kind of crazy to me that it's a photo of something recognizable.

I had this exact same realization about Still's cover a while ago, but I think that's more justifiable because the doesn't really give you anything to work with unless you're looking at the extended art.
    My caveman brain just now saw it as well. And that’s the sun in the upper right corner peeping through.

mind blown.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I've never paid enough attention to the album to really think about the art, but you're so right. Never realized it before. Now I can't even see the weird shapes I thought it was before.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    I always knew it was a plant, but I hadn't realized that it was taken outdoors with the sky and sun in the background.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    maybe this helps:

I haven't posted in forever and I just want to say Not the Actual Events is really good, and I really love it.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    I liked it more after Deviations, when I got a better look at the waterfall on top, but I still don't care for the 80% of the cover that's a very close shot of something red—a poppy, I think?
    "Cover image is a waterfall in Iceland and a seashell in the West Indies."

edit: full quote FYI -

"Back was going to be the front until the last moment. Trent changed it saying 'it was kinda irritating' yet something about it we liked so maybe it fit the music. Front cover flowers I shot outside of Austin, Texas. The 1 hour place called and said they messed up and used the wrong chemicals and the film was ruined. I said 'lemme see 'em anyway'. This is how they came out. Cover image is a waterfall in Iceland and a seashell in the West Indies."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Seemed the best place for it

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Just reading some wiki articles while waiting for other people to do things for me.
    "Big Man with a Gun" lyrics[edit]

The Downward Spiral's emphasis on transgressive themes made its lyrics vulnerable to criticism from American social conservatives. Senator Bob Dole, then the head of the Republican Party, sharply denounced Time Warner, the former owner of Interscope's former parent company Warner Music Group, after a meeting between Michael J. Fuchs (head of WMG), William Bennett, and C. Delores Tucker. Tucker and Bennett demanded Fuchs to recite lyrics from "Big Man with a Gun", because they thought the song was an attack on American conservatives by metaphorically claiming within the lyrics they had a jingoistic agenda.[111]
    Republicans with a jingoistic agenda? Heavens to Murgatroyd! who would think such a thing?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Until just now I thought that the picture was under water.

Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    I liked it more after Deviations, when I got a better look at the waterfall on top, but I still don't care for the 80% of the cover that's a very close shot of something red—a poppy, I think?
    It's definitely the inside of a seashell.
    Last edited by zecho; 09-24-2020 at 11:04 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Tried so hard to make the pieces all fit...

I always assumed TR smashed it all apart just for the fuck of it. Is that correct or did someone else throw it all away? He tries hard and others fuck it up, not him. Thoughts?

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    I blame his cat for being an asshole.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I don't think Hesitation Marks is getting the love it deserves. I mean, it's not my favorite NIN album, but common, it's not even on Spotify? Is it Columbia's fault? Can't anybody do something about it? Various Methods of Escape, In Two, Find My Way are among my favorite NIN songs for sure. Nobody can deny how catchy Copy of A is.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indefinite_Cure View Post
    I don't think Hesitation Marks is getting the love it deserves. I mean, it's not my favorite NIN album, but common, it's not even on Spotify? Is it Columbia's fault? Can't anybody do something about it? Various Methods of Escape, In Two, Find My Way are among my favorite NIN songs for sure. Nobody can deny how catchy Copy of A is.
    Could be a regional thing, because it shows up on Spotify for me. Is Welcome Oblivion missing for you too?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Could be a regional thing, because it shows up on Spotify for me. Is Welcome Oblivion missing for you too?
    Welcome Oblivion is available, but you're right, I didn't think of that. I live in Canada so it could be blocked in my country...