Page 520 of 527 FirstFirst ... 20 420 470 510 518 519 520 521 522 ... LastLast
Results 15,571 to 15,600 of 15806

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    Nah, not convinced, I'm still pretty sure it's about a finger shaped like a ring.
    lol

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)

Random NIN Thoughts

nin slipping to 3 on my spotify wrapped thingy. release some new damn music already. halsey/iichliwp were my number 1 so i guess they’re still there. pretty sure we gotta hit the 3 year mark of tr saying “i’m working on nin” before he starts with the “soon” talk. fingers crossed for new nin in 2023.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    nin slipping to 3 on my spotify wrapped thingy. release some some new damn music already. halsey/iichliwp we’re my number 1 so i guess they’re still there. pretty sure we gotta hit the 3 year mark of tr saying “i’m working on nin” before he starts with the “soon” talk. fingers crossed for new nin in 2023.
    Or maybe some more work with Danny Elfman please?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I'm hoping they do what Metallica just did and one morning out of the blue, we'll have a brand new single, a new album announcement, and (hopefully) a new tour (even if it's a shorter one that doesn't start until 9 months from now). But yes, it definitely feels like we're overdue for a new, proper (non-instrumental) full-length NIN album.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    iOS 16.2 just dropped which enabled Apple Sing. Basically it's karaoke mode (no vocals) for any song that enables it which includes the entire discography that I've found - including the AATCHB (AND STILL?!?) tracks which is pretty cool. So we have the instrumentals for everything now.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    iOS 16.2 just dropped which enabled Apple Sing. Basically it's karaoke mode (no vocals) for any song that enables it which includes the entire discography that I've found - including the AATCHB (AND STILL?!?) tracks which is pretty cool. So we have the instrumentals for everything now.
    I'm curious how that works. My guess is it uses an algorithm to isolate and reduce what it thinks are vocals, but doesn't give true instrumentals. Apple doesn't have stems for all (or any) of their entire music store's library.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Can it do the opposite and take out all the instrumentals and only leave the vocals? Then we can finally work out what's being said at the beginning of A Warm Place.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    https://www.theninhotline.com/archiv...at_122199.html

repti1ian: What do you start a song with usually? I mean do you use a piano? Guitar? Drum loops?

snguest_trent_reznor: On the new record I start with a visual idea. It might be a postcard of a swamp at sunset. That's all that matters to me. I try to write a song around that mood or feeling. That's what "The Fragile" really represented to me, I wanted to make a place that you've never been to before. To be quite frank, the record came out. I didn't know if the label would understand what I was trying to do, I was trying to not make a commercial record. I wanted to make a record that mattered to me as a person. That's the only thing that has ever mattered to me, ever, fuck Universal. All I ever want to do is make a difference, change some lives. And now, I'm up against Britney Spears, and I say, "fuck you." I appreciate for what she does, but that's not what it should be about. I've dedicated my life and watch me. The only thing that I care about in my whole fucking life is to make a difference. I won't concede, I won't give in. I love music, and that's all I care about.

...isn't "a swamp at sunset" part of the Beneath The Surface menu on AATCHB? With crickets chirping? I love that imagery.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Moreover, I adore this description:

http://www.nin-pages.de/1999_Kerrang...er_english.htm

"This isn't a tough, hard machine like 'The Downward Spiral'. This one is rusted, shot, there's moss growing up the side of it, clay and paper clips holding it together. Pieces can fall off at any time. I tried to make it seem distressed on every level I could think of. The concept of fragility moulds it all together."

A little smile: "I just made that up now, but it sounds pretty good."

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    I'm down the rabbit hole now with TR and Roger Waters chatting. How time flies.

http://www.nin-pages.de/2000_Revolve...er_english.htm

Waters: I actually think you're fighting a losing battle, trying to recreate anything like the experience of being at a rock and roll show with a DVD. Basically, they're home movies. I regret not having made home movies of the Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking and Radio KAOS tours. And so I'm glad I will have a home movie of 2000 In The Flesh tour. I want to have it to put in a cupboard somewhere and maybe show it to my grandchildren. But I don't know if it's something that interests me that much, I have to say. I don't really care about it. Frankly, I'd rather be fishing. Or reading. But you know, I'm 56 years old. How old are you?

Reznor: 35.

Waters: So it's kind of relative. There's 21 years' difference. I might have cared more when I was 35. Not that I'm saying you will eventually achieve fishing.

Reznor: I'm looking forward to it, actually.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hi team,

I wish to create a complete collection of all the calm, relaxing and ambient music Trent has made.

The following list I have made so far: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2H...62912e1c2a4a8a

Is there anything missing according to you?
    What tracks I definitly need to add to make this more complete?

Thanks!

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    Moreover, I adore this description:

http://www.nin-pages.de/1999_Kerrang...er_english.htm

"This isn't a tough, hard machine like 'The Downward Spiral'. This one is rusted, shot, there's moss growing up the side of it, clay and paper clips holding it together. Pieces can fall off at any time. I tried to make it seem distressed on every level I could think of. The concept of fragility moulds it all together."

A little smile: "I just made that up now, but it sounds pretty good."

To complete his misery, Trent also lost a close friend at this time: Marilyn Manson. Having signed to his label Nothing and then produced the breakthrough album 'Antichrist Superstar', Trent feels betrayed by revelations in Manson's autobiography 'The Long Hard Road Out Of Hell', in which he is portrayed as voyeuristic and manipulative, with a taste for "shitty women". The revelations centre on a tour, which Nine Inch Nails undertook with Manson and the Jim Rose Circus, a travelling S&M freak-show.

"You can't explain this to people who weren't around it," Trent insists. "It's not sane, but imagine the kind of people who come to that show, and they're all trying to outdo each other. Some of the guys in the Circus have horns and a tail, and one of the guys was trying to have trepanation performed on him in my studio - drilling a hole in the back of the head so the spinal fluid leaks out, and you're high forever. That's the level it was getting to. Pretty soon there's going to be bodies showing up - and questions. I'm going to point the finger at Jim Rose. The first time I was ever around him, I was eating a light bulb, thinking, 'What am I doing?'. I always get sucked in. We were sitting in a cafeteria and he said, 'Have a chew on that'. I didn't swallow it, but the fact that I even allowed it in my mouth…"

wat.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    To complete his misery, Trent also lost a close friend at this time: Marilyn Manson. Having signed to his label Nothing and then produced the breakthrough album 'Antichrist Superstar', Trent feels betrayed by revelations in Manson's autobiography 'The Long Hard Road Out Of Hell', in which he is portrayed as voyeuristic and manipulative, with a taste for "shitty women". The revelations centre on a tour, which Nine Inch Nails undertook with Manson and the Jim Rose Circus, a travelling S&M freak-show.

"You can't explain this to people who weren't around it," Trent insists. "It's not sane, but imagine the kind of people who come to that show, and they're all trying to outdo each other. Some of the guys in the Circus have horns and a tail, and one of the guys was trying to have trepanation performed on him in my studio - drilling a hole in the back of the head so the spinal fluid leaks out, and you're high forever. That's the level it was getting to. Pretty soon there's going to be bodies showing up - and questions. I'm going to point the finger at Jim Rose. The first time I was ever around him, I was eating a light bulb, thinking, 'What am I doing?'. I always get sucked in. We were sitting in a cafeteria and he said, 'Have a chew on that'. I didn't swallow it, but the fact that I even allowed it in my mouth…"

wat.
    Ya, Jim taught me how to eat a light bulb. Didn't actually do it but I know how (hint: chew into really small pieces). The really disgusting one was Mr Lifto. & the guy who drank bile. Good times! I was on the road for a bit of the second Lollapalooza & Jim was on the second stage. My friends played a few shows on that stage & I was an unofficial roadie. Their manager was the tour manager so we had all access passes for multiple shows even if the band wasn't playing. That was a hell of a lineup. I got to stand onstage for Soundgarden at Jones Beach. Let's just say that I brought some Seattle horticulture with me back east. Suddenly I was very popular, haha.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    "Trepanation" should be the next NIN album title. Spinal fluid bleeding through.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    "Trepanation" should be the next NIN album title. Spinal fluid bleeding through.
    Maybe 15-20 years ago that would've been great. I think Trent is in a different place now though. I've said it here more than once but I want more with Danny Elfman & Trent. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility. I read a recent interview with Danny & he said the only rock concert he went to this year was NIN. He took his teenage son. I think it was the Cleveland show. BTW: Danny was impressed.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Managed to catch up with the Ilan drum cam videos and holy crap I totally missed the insane first solo section when I saw it live!

After Cleveland now I want Ilan and Josh Freese to play it together.

(Also the videos point out how weird that stage setup was, with everyone in a row, so weirdly cool)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I got a HomePod mini for Christmas, not a bad sounding little speaker at all but I’m currently listening to Happiness in Slavery and the not for use on mono devices warning for Broken rings true to this day lol it sounds… different

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    you can link two of them together and then play Atmos streams from Apple Music.

thing is I still can't figure out how Dolby lets them get away with that when Atmos is at least nominally surround sound and there are only two speakers in that setup.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    When TPD first started getting radio play (late December '96 or early January '97?), I taped it off the radio and loved the shit out of it. (Nothing like a less than 3 year wait for new material to whet the appetite, ha!)

However, when I finally picked up the Lost Highway soundtrack, my ecstasy was tempered a bit - what happened to the walloping drums that punch you in the face immediately at the beginning of the bridge??

For some unknown reason, today was the day I finally investigated and happily confirmed that TPD (edit) is the version that I've been fantasizing about for 26 years. This year has gotten off to a horrible start, but at least I'll have the distraction of waiting for the copy I ordered on Discogs to arrive...

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    I can't believe that, since 1994 and after so many interviews being conducted, no one has yet asked TR about the sample at the beginning of A Warm Place and what it says.
    It says something about beer. "The best part of life is knowing you have a beer," or something like that. We've been through this.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I'm a bit confused by the walloping drums bit being the issue on TPD - I've just listened to the full version and the edit version simultaneously, and it only starts to differ once they've got to the drum solo section.

Top tip - don't have a slight delay between the two sources. I was listening to Spotify and YouTube and if it's not perfectly matched timing wise, it's VERY annoying!

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    I hope Trent & Atticus continue to produce other artists like they did with Halsey. I really enjoyed that record. An interesting choice would be Iggy Pop. Iggy always seems open to new ideas, at least in the studio. Could be fantastic!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    After the Josh-produced album he put out, yeah that'd be great. even better is if they also tour behind it like they did with the Josh-produced album.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    After the Josh-produced album he put out, yeah that'd be great. even better is if they also tour behind it like they did with the Josh-produced album.
    The new Iggy record that came out today is really good. Iggy hasn't mellowed with age. He had me a bit worried with the French-jazz record but it's cool he's able to do what he wants.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonn View Post
    I'm a bit confused by the walloping drums bit being the issue on TPD - I've just listened to the full version and the edit version simultaneously, and it only starts to differ once they've got to the drum solo section.
    I should have been clearer that by "bridge" I meant the drum solo. Objectively it's not a huge difference in the context of the entire song. However, after being introduced to it via the edit, the "complete" solo's more muted beginning always felt wrong...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    The AATCHB versions of The Frail going into Sin flows way better than it has any right to (shuffle struck again)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Yes TikTok, your algorithm works

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMFK3XYMJ/

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Happy birthday to Atticus (16th here now).

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    NIN songs that I didn't like before, but that I like now.

- Underneath It All
    - Demon Seed

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    i wear my “we’re in this together 2020” hat quite a bit still and today the guy behind the counter read it. i said “the song” and he said everyone was saying it in 2020…. i was like oh this band (pointing to nin logo) put this hat out that year because they have a song called that. he said he’d listen to it. i can’t wait for him to hear it. i should’ve gotten his info so i could follow up. like i can’t even imagine what he thinks it will sound like based on that one line but i bet you it’s nothing like whatever he thought.