Page 515 of 528 FirstFirst ... 15 415 465 505 513 514 515 516 517 525 ... LastLast
Results 15,421 to 15,450 of 15827

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by astfgyl View Post
    this isn't meant to last this is FOR RIGHT NOW

Is it the best NIN chorus? It deserves to stake its' claim at least. I can still remember the first time I heard it I nearly leaped out of my skin with excitement and it still does it every time I as much as think of it.

Edit: made bad work of the reply
    Finally just made an edit of this track so my former college station can play it. It's a banger that needs to be exposed to more people.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Things that make you go hmmmm....

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Do we think we'll get yet another tour with Alessandro panting during "March of the Pigs"?

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    ya know, the friday before the first show of the year would be a really nice day to release new music. please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    ya know, the friday before the first show of the year would be a really nice day to release new music. please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Especially since I'll be taking a 5 hour road trip to Chicago tomorrow and have all the time in the world to listen to it.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    I'm ready for a surprise single to drop right about now...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    I'm ready for a surprise single to drop right about now...
    I expect they have been working on new material but it's not ready yet, as in it's not as finished as they would want it to be. I'm more optimistic about them dropping new stuff around the Fall stretch of their touring.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The new tour is good and all, but I just want a new album. I'd also like some new HTDA please.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Things that make you go hmmmm....

The Slip cover flipped? Did I miss something?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    The Dip: lightly battered Trent dipped in a glitchy, savory sauce!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I want new NIN as much as the next person, but, as an old-head, I remember the lean years of 5 years between proper albums (PHM/Broken/TDS/TF/WT). Reminds me of that meme of the condemned asking, "First time?"

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Is it me? or Trent is not swearing as much as the other tours?

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    The Dip: lightly battered Trent dipped in a glitchy, savory sauce!
    I’ll take 10.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    I’ll take 10.
    YTHhh.jpeg

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    How many you betray
    You’ve eaten everything

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Man I woke up in a crappy mood and this is exactly what I needed this morning. Thanks!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Is it just me, or does TR not like to play much guitar at shows these days? On the With Teeth tour (at least the late 05/early 06 part, shown in BYIT), he played rhythm guitar on about half the songs, if not the slight majority. It was one of the ways that made the 2005-07 live band feel less like Trent's backing band and more like a rock band with Trent in it. On most subsequent tours (especially the most recent ones) he only plays guitar on a handful of songs, choosing instead to just sing about half the time and play some keyboards every now and then. It's noticeable with some songs ("Survivalism" when it was played the first few times on Performance 2007, "Only" with the 05-07 band, "Copy of a" at the 2013 festival shows, etc.) that were initially played with his guitar parts until the guitar parts were dropped later on.

This might cross over into "controversial opinions" a bit, but I prefer when TR uses an instrument (guitar/keyboard/bass/saxophone/etc.) for the majority of songs at a show, so he could blend in with the band a bit more and remind us that, yes, this guy does play the majority of the instruments in the studio.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_Nicholas View Post
    Is it just me, or does TR not like to play much guitar at shows these days? On the With Teeth tour (at least the late 05/early 06 part, shown in BYIT), he played rhythm guitar on about half the songs, if not the slight majority. It was one of the ways that made the 2005-07 live band feel less like Trent's backing band and more like a rock band with Trent in it. On most subsequent tours (especially the most recent ones) he only plays guitar on a handful of songs, choosing instead to just sing about half the time and play some keyboards every now and then. It's noticeable with some songs ("Survivalism" when it was played the first few times on Performance 2007, "Only" with the 05-07 band, "Copy of a" at the 2013 festival shows, etc.) that were initially played with his guitar parts until the guitar parts were dropped later on.

This might cross over into "controversial opinions" a bit, but I prefer when TR uses an instrument (guitar/keyboard/bass/saxophone/etc.) for the majority of songs at a show, so he could blend in with the band a bit more and remind us that, yes, this guy does play the majority of the instruments in the studio.

I see your point, but I think it has more to do with changed setlists, rather than dropping guitar parts. NIN has eliminated completely, or now simply playing much less often many songs where TR used to play guitar, such as No You Don't, YKWYA?, Love Is Not Enough, The Collector, TLBTB (until yesterday), Echoplex (until yesterday), Heresy (until Atlanta, and I haven't seen yet if TR plays guitar again or not), Starfuckers (until its resurrection on the last tour), etc.

With Survivalism I think TR initially delegated his guitar part to Alessandro, who played it then until LITS tour. It's only since 2009 they dropped second guitar completely.

With Only i think it happened more out of necessity, as Trent needed to be free to play with the screen visual effects.

Copy of A - I think the current version that they play since 2017 is the best one, and blows away all 2013/14 versions (all 4 of them, or 5 if you count Grammys) away.

The list of songs where TR plays guitar as of 2018 tour it still huge. (HLAH, Terrible Lie, Wish, Gave Up, Physical, Suck, Eraser, Reptile, Burn, Dead Souls, TPD, TDTWWA, JLYI, Starfuckers, THTF, TLBTB, Echoplex, Shit Mirror, Find My Way, a few HTDA songs). It's just that they rotate setlist more than ever in their history.

On a related note, Robin switching from guitar to keyboard on 1,000,000 was a fucking crime.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Was informed by my music professor today that back in the heydey of a certain nameless dopey clown, many of the protestors who picketed said performances were, in fact, hired.

I wish I could say that I was remotely fucking surpised that more of that particular legacy was bullshit.

Things that sixteen year old me would have never believed.

And it makes me grateful that, despite all the readily apparent angsty rockstar imagery which was certainly designed to appeal to angsty kids- which we know TR was never fully on board with, mocking himself for looking like The Crow and whatnot - at least I know NIN's music came from, and still does come from, a good and honest place. I have the security of knowing some things aren't bullshit.

It's not to be taken for granted.
    Last edited by Shadaloo; 05-04-2022 at 01:56 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Lurking on Trent's Twitter likes again:

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

We really don't talk about this remix enough. Hard to believe Trent did it in between The Fragile and With Teeth, as it sounds a lot like something he and Atticus would do today.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post

We really don't talk about this remix enough. Hard to believe Trent did it in between The Fragile and With Teeth, as it sounds a lot like something he and Atticus would do today.
    I was just yesterday thinking about how cool it would be if Peter made an album with Reznor and Ross as the production team.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    And it makes me grateful that, despite all the readily apparent angsty rockstar imagery which was certainly designed to appeal to angsty kids- which we know TR was never fully on board with, mocking himself for looking like The Crow and whatnot - at least I know NIN's music came from, and still does come from, a good and honest place. I have the security of knowing some things aren't bullshit.
    I remember a conversation I had back in high school where I had that exact argument. The other guy was adamant that NIN was all posturing, it was all fake anguish for gloomy bozos like myself, and although I was ready to admit that most bands were playing the doom card for show, I wouldn't budge on Reznor. There was no way to make that kind of music without feeling it in your bones, it was too visceral to be fake.

Now I could have been wrong, my argument was skewed and fundamentally flawed, but I'm actually proud that the guy I always backed up was sincere all along.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Listening to Franklin tape... It was weird hearing some dude in the crowd going "Oh shit! YES!" for The Hand that Feeds of all songs. You fool, don't you know you're not allowed to be excited about this one? Show will be over soon!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Listening to Franklin tape... It was weird hearing some dude in the crowd going "Oh shit! YES!" for The Hand that Feeds of all songs. You fool, don't you know you're not allowed to be excited about this one? Show will be over soon!
    Funny you should say that lol - when I saw them live in 2014 in Perth they started playing THTF and virtually everyone starting cheering and I’m just like nooooo it’s ending soon

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpiusdiamond View Post
    Lurking on Trent's Twitter likes again:

Can we please have this guy dancing at the side of the stage at the next few shows while Sin is playing and doing backup vocals?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I'm sure its been said, but Atticus sometimes looks like a badass villain. I now want a jacket like that, but I don't think I would look any good in it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CeEawHDJAP_/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    NIN-adjacent thoughts. I’m surprised that I’m yet to see a Black Mirror/Ashley O comparison with the new ABBA Voyage show…

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Terrible Lie is a great song live but the best version has to be the one from 1994. The synth lines after the verses is amazing and I wish that part came back.

At 2:24:

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Probably been noted elsewhere but feel like this (1994) Autechre track's drums sound like In This Twilight: