Page 5 of 527 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 105 505 ... LastLast

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So I saw some posts on here that had me confused as to the nature of involvement Jim Uhls had with the YZ miniseries. Some said he was still the screenplay writer, others said he had been let go from the project. So I found his FB and politely messaged him my questions, here is the dialog:

Me: Hello! I had heard conflicting reports about your involvement in HBO's upcoming miniseries "Year zero". I was only wondering if you were still attached? I am a huge fan of the screenplays you've done in the past! Sorry, if you "can't" answer my question I understand completely. I am simply very excited to see someone as talented as you possibly working on material I am passionate about...

Jim: I've been away from FB for awhile. Now that I see it, I can answer. I am currently working on Year Zero. Thanks for the kind words.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Awesome. I'm always forgetting about YZ as a series, then everytime it gets brought up I get all excited. Can't believe its been nearly five years since it came out. Five years! ​What happened!?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Reason Being View Post
    Awesome. I'm always forgetting about YZ as a series, then everytime it gets brought up I get all excited. Can't believe its been nearly five years since it came out. Five years! ​What happened!?
    The normal and constant passage of time.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Euphemism View Post
    So I saw some posts on here that had me confused as to the nature of involvement Jim Uhls had with the YZ miniseries. Some said he was still the screenplay writer, others said he had been let go from the project. So I found his FB and politely messaged him my questions, here is the dialog:

Me: Hello! I had heard conflicting reports about your involvement in HBO's upcoming miniseries "Year zero". I was only wondering if you were still attached? I am a huge fan of the screenplays you've done in the past! Sorry, if you "can't" answer my question I understand completely. I am simply very excited to see someone as talented as you possibly working on material I am passionate about...

Jim: I've been away from FB for awhile. Now that I see it, I can answer. I am currently working on Year Zero. Thanks for the kind words.
    Damn you, the more I hear about the project actually existing, the more excited I get about something that will take years :P

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Does Trent still have anything to do with Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gorny540 View Post
    Does Trent still have anything to do with Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter?
    doesn't seem so

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    well, thank fucking god for that. what a goofy ass project.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    well, thank fucking god for that. what a goofy ass project.
    yeah, I'm so glad TR turned it down after all. I couldn't have stand all the jokes from my friends if he really was related to this movie by the mediocre sellout director I'm ashamed to be a compatriot with

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Billboard has a new interview up with Trent about writing for NIN in 2012. While it's nice to have some news to that end, I feel like we won't see anything materialize until mid-2013. Then I thought, if my prediction ends up being true, it would be my first experience waiting five years for a new NIN album like some fans here have already had. (You know, except that the period between TDS and TF wasn't filled with an EP and LP from another band and two film scores clocking in at 4+ hours of material.) It feels weird to think that.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    ...waiting five years for a new NIN album like some fans here have already had.

i can't say for everyone but my wait for new album doesn't begin next week after the current one is out :-|

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    That period between TDS and TF was maddening. I think I bought just about every episode of Spin, Rolling Stone, Hit Parader, ANYTHING with a mere mention of Trent/NIN to try to get even the smallest morsel of info.

I love the Twitter age for this exact reason, as if there is any real info, we get it straight from TR himself. I don't know about anybody else, but I look forward to the (now) rare tweet from him with some info. Every time I fire up Twitter I get a bit excited that there will be some news.

It's definitely nice that we've had a decent amount of material in between the last NIN release. Doesn't quite seem like its been almost four years since The Slip.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Trent is back on Facebook. Uh... yay?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    people who were around back in 97 - what was your reaction to the perfect drug?

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butter_hole View Post
    I'm going to date myself here but whatever - my friends and I were freshmen in high school and I remember the day Rock 105.3 kept hinting that had a special present for listeners of industrial rock and to stay tuned in. Well, of course this was a day we had school so the bunch of us brought out portable cassette recorders and tried to hide headphone ear buds while in class. The moment one of us managed to hear the track we tried to record it. My cassette deck's batteries died before they player it, my other friend got caught with his rig and it was taken from him until the end of school, the gf at the time wasn't really into NIN but was still nice enough to try and capture it for us (ended up missing out on it since she didn't know what to listen for), and finally it took my other friend Mike with the largest rig out of us all (I'm surprised that he didn't get caught, it was a giant waterproof cassette player/recorder that was bright yellow) that managed to get a semi-decent recording of it. Needless to say that tape saw A LOT of attention from us until the Lost Highway OST came out.....

Sent from my iPhone using tapatalk
    Last edited by NotoriousTIMP; 01-16-2012 at 09:20 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Also, I'm sure I'm really late on this, but do we all know that the Avengers trailer uses We're In This Together? I'm not sure whether I find it corny or endearing as Trent scream-sings "None of them can stop us now!" as Iron Man flies over a bunch of exploding cars. At least now it's indisputable that Trent Reznor and cinema are soul mates.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Gave AATCHB a spin, it was really refreshing to hear traditional Closer (no solo from The Only Time).
    Contrary, on some full performance of The Only Time, couldn't help but whisper (sing along) "through every forest, above the trees..." during solo.
    god sees i didn't want this, but i got used to this change against my own will. dangerous you are, Trent.

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butter_hole View Post
    Online, The Perfect Drug was a bit of a saga. It got leaked months early as a (really terrible) RealAudio file recorded off a broadcast from KROQ, and some dude started a website where he encouraged fans to download the leak and tell radio stations to play it. At one point he posted all the radio stations that had played the song - which proved to be a great sheet to look off when Nothing Records started sending out cease & desists. I believe there was an MTV news clip where Trent said that he would be "re-mixing" the track on account of the leak.

I was really taken by the track, and listened to my taped-off-the-computer copy over and over, even though the fidelity was terrible (audio compression artifacting on even the highest-quality 1997-era Realaudio was horrible). There was a ton of hype behind the release of the track, too. When it finally came out, some people said they preferred the sound of the leak, because it was heavier. In reality, the official release wasn't any different from the leak, except that the leak was compressed to shit. People speculated that the abrupt ending was some kind of punishment for the leak. I thought that was a silly idea, even at the time.

I was kind of disappointed in the remix single, but given that the previous singles had been Closer to God and Further Down the Spiral, I had unfairly high expectations. The video was a huge hit, the song got tons of airplay. The 3x12" promo LPs were semi-legendary at the time, given the extra remix on there (Even though it turned out to be kinda crap, once it did finally surface online). I remember realizing that the NIN remix incorporated audio elements of one of the tracks from the Quake soundtrack, but no one had really mentioned that online.

Oh, and the press release for TPD was hilarious. I have it somewhere, I remember it boasting effusively about inventing "industrial drum n' bass".

You can read a bit more from the time at this post about it from the news section of Rob Sheridan's Above the Trees fan site, but the stylesheets are fucked, so you'll have to view the source or turn off styling to read it.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    The obvious question: is that early TPD leak available anywhere?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I remember it got dug up on the old ETS, it's fairly underwhelming when you've heard the original!

Sigh.. if only that DnB influenced album came out after all.

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    If it was worth keeping, I would have kept it. I held on to the shitty 1993-era leak of Butch Vig's Last, right up until it the CD quality version was posted to remix.nin.com; You can simulate the rip by a) requesting TPD on KROQ (Does radio still do requests?), b) recording that to cassette tape, c) recording that with an early generation 16-bit Soundblaster, d) using a 1997-era Realmedia encoder set to nearly-highest settings.

Between the dynamic range compression from the radio, the added hiss and rolled off highs of the cassette tape recording, losing the low end from the bad A/D converters in the SB16, and the butchering of the audio by RealMedia, you'll wonder why you even bothered.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    I remember realizing that the NIN remix incorporated audio elements of one of the tracks from the Quake soundtrack, but no one had really mentioned that online.
    ooh, that's tasty — which track? and where in the TPD remix?

Mentioned
    399 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    ooh, that's tasty — which track? and where in the TPD remix?

Hear it in the NIN TPD remix now?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I've just sat through all the 'sin' remixes. I love the album version, but for some reason I've never listened to all the single mixes. Or perhaps I have and I blanked it, because I just did again and they're awFul. That is all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    they're awSOME. That is all.
    Fixed.

The live version is based heavily on the remixes.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Re: Sin remixes
    yeah, they could definitely use more variation back then, same with Head like a hole
    maybe that's why Reznor fled from TVT, disliked their quantity-over-quality approach

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Speaking of remixes i was over at remix.nin and i thought it seriously needed a overhaul. design issues, review/scoring issues/login issues etc.. or at the very least have a damn stop button and not let it auto play every damn thing i look at.

Second thought of the day, I'm kinda regretting wearing my old fragile hoody when i did some painting/decorating..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    In an annoying position. Working on something NIN related right now. Not seen it done before. Don't want to do it if it has. Don't want to say what in case it hasn't as it'll give it away what I'm doing...

ARGHH!

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    You probably should ask someone in confidence, or you'll be stuck in limbo forever!

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonedwarf View Post
    In an annoying position. Working on something NIN related right now. Not seen it done before. Don't want to do it if it has. Don't want to say what in case it hasn't as it'll give it away what I'm doing...

ARGHH!
    Ask Levi. He won't spill the beans, or take on the same project to beat you to it, or anything like that. And he'd probably know if anyone had done it before.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    AH! That's a good idea. Cheers. I'll PM him.
    Last edited by Bonedwarf; 01-29-2012 at 11:03 AM.