Page 385 of 527 FirstFirst ... 285 335 375 383 384 385 386 387 395 435 485 ... LastLast
Results 11,521 to 11,550 of 15809

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    My brother and sister-in-law were supposed to see U2 but that was cancelled, so he dropped the nephews off here anyway. His wife is a diehard U2 fan, and it being the "Joshua Tree" tour, I told my brother that I expect what she's feeling is what I would feel if it were TDS and then Trent had to cancel. I said, "Well, I've got your boys for the night, so go console wifey - hope the night gets better". He proceeded to small-talk and denigrate all NIN-product post-YZ, to which I said, "#1 Ghosts, dumbass".

He said "Ghosts" and the soundtrack work was wonky electronic snooze-masturbation and I kinda wanted to smack the shit out of him. He also stated that last time he saw NIN was a bit "bleh", and then reminded me, incidentally, that I was watching his kids that night while they were at the show 4 years ago - I fucked up the date and agreed to babysit before I realized what was what. Fuckers didn't get me a shirt either. Still a little bitter about that lol.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Louie_Cypher View Post
    thanks for proving once again your not very intelligent are you?, i wish you luck in life and that you educate yourself
    -Louie
    "you're"

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cashpiles View Post
    Why did Reznor call "Demon Seed", "Demon Seed"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demon_Seed
    To avoid calling it "Semen Deed"?

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Seeing NIN live again has really reinvigorated my love for Add Violence.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Here's a thought I had a few years back:
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    Maybe I've just been watching too much Twin Peaks, but I see a slight similarity between the five note melody in the middle eight of "Reptile" (from 5:13 to 5:21) and the ascending Twin Peaks leitmotif that leads into the climax of "Laura Palmer's Theme".
    Now we've been informed that "She's Gone Away" was written for Twin Peaks. "She's Gone Away" directly references "Reptile". So does that mean that "Reptile" is inspired by Laura's character and that perhaps the melody in "Reptile" is an intentional reference on TR's part?

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote from the Duffer brothers (creators of Stranger Things):

There have been some artists who like the show, so we've gotten some really big songs for not extravagant prices. Musicians seem to have responded to the show.
    C'monnnnnnnnnn, TR & AR contribution!

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    Now we've been informed that "She's Gone Away" was written for Twin Peaks. "She's Gone Away" directly references "Reptile". So does that mean that "Reptile" is inspired by Laura's character and that perhaps the melody in "Reptile" is an intentional reference on TR's part?
    Reading between the lines of TR's comment that the music and sound design approach of The Downward Spiral were influenced by David Lynch — I'd say, 100%, yes it is.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Reading between the lines of TR's comment that the music and sound design approach of The Downward Spiral were influenced by David Lynch — I'd say, 100%, yes it is.
    not just influenced, if i remember correctly he said "directly informed by"

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    It's the last quote that intrigues me...

He's obviously referencing the Aftershock festival. I wonder if they have something planned? I think that would be better than a Q&A or a secret show at this point.
    To get to experience MM and TR together sharing the same stage would be amazing.

That would explain why NIN.com says "Manson the next night!" Maybe TR might make an appearance during Manson's set? Or maybe Manson will come in for the encore for Nails' set and do a song. Anything is possible!
    On paper a Trent/Manson stage reunion sounds great. In reality = WOOF!!! Manson really has some personal issues to overcome. Also not sure if Trent would even want to stick around the extra night in Sacramento just for maybe one song. Manson appearing onstage for Starfuckers? Not out of the question I suppose.

Maybe if if he gets himself sorted out JUST A LITTLE BIT (OK, a LOT), one could see Trent producing a future record.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    I knew someone should have asked TR about MM
    Interesting indeed. I'm not a Manson fan as such, but for a while there he was bloody good. I'll be interested to see what comes of this, if anything.

Generally it just feels nice that Trent is reaching out and making friends with Manson and with Al Jourgensen too. Life's too short for some of the bitter feuds we see in this business, so it's cool if old friends can just hang out and put the past behind them. It certainly seems like Al is a lot happier and healthier than he was a few years back, and while Manson looks like he's got a little way to go yet, maybe this is a positive step forward. Good luck to 'em.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Obviously Trent isn't in the same mood at all, Al is ...not dead yet ? I heard he died on stage in paris... very sick, all inked and ironed. Manson is ... oh my god he succedeed at becoming worst than he already were... his new video is ridiculous, he looks like he cannot move anymore and you can hear how his voice lost it even on studio sound now... At least Al got an excellent show even if he turned more metal than ever. I don't see what we can do with Manson except an intervention ?

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Lost interest in Manson after HolyWood. Thought the guy became a fucking parody of himself...but I gotta say, Pale Emperor was a pretty sick record...the new song sounds good, maybe all is not lost in MM land. But if he wants to get onstage with NIN, he better be on his fucking game and not be falling off stages and forgetting lyrics

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Lost interest in Manson after HolyWood. Thought the guy became a fucking parody of himself...but I gotta say, Pale Emperor was a pretty sick record...the new song sounds good, maybe all is not lost in MM land. But if he wants to get onstage with NIN, he better be on his fucking game and not be falling off stages and forgetting lyrics
    I thought the new record was kinda forgettable, I don't think any track there was good as the best tracks from The Pale Emperor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have created a Soundcloud account and seemingly still cannot download that Q and A audio, am I doing something wrong?

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Who the hell knows if Trent meant for these EPs to be in sync with each other, but “Less Than” fades pretty damn well into “Dear World,”

Are you less than?
    Yes. Everyone seems to be asleep.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Today I walked into a huge store with my girlfriend and there were a couple of bluetooth speakers for sale that were playing a random playlist. The exact moment we walked in fucking Complication started playing. We both know each other through NIN and this was just a surreal moment for both of us. Especially considering we're in Europe and NIN really isn't a big thing here, so the chances for this happening are un-fucking-believable.

Needless to say, I was really inclined to buy those damn speakers. That's some next level advertising right there.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Seeing the Add Violence CD reminded me of this:

I miss when each different release of a Halo meant it got some modifier to its Halo number.

For instance: the deluxe edition of TDS is Halo 8 DE. The CD version of The Slip is 27 CD-LE, while the vinyl is 27v. But the vinyl version of NTAE isn't 29v, it's just 29. The CD version of Add Violence looks like it's just 31, not 31CD or something.

The Definitive Editions are all just their original Halo numbers, which I get in the sense that they're suppose to be exact replications of the original releases. But it's still a little disappointing.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Final Destiny View Post

I miss when each different release of a Halo meant it got some modifier to its Halo number.

For instance: the deluxe edition of TDS is Halo 8 DE. The CD version of The Slip is 27 CD-LE, while the vinyl is 27v. But the vinyl version of NTAE isn't 29v, it's just 29. The CD version of Add Violence looks like it's just 31, not 31CD or something.

The Definitive Editions are all just their original Halo numbers, which I get in the sense that they're suppose to be exact replications of the original releases. But it's still a little disappointing.
    Isn't that more of a (somewhat) recent addition? I thought all the halos before the TDS reissue had uniform halo catalog numbers across each release, since they all had the same content. My old copy of TF on vinyl (RIP) was just halo fourteen. I remember the same for the closer to god singles too.

If anything those few releases with identical content and semi-unique catalog numbers you mentioned (obviously not TDS DE since that had a whole bonus disc and three exclusive tracks) were the anomalies, not these. We've gone back to sanity!

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

That never happened between CD and vinyl back in the day, either. None of the albums, EPs, or singles got a special "modifier" to distinguish between CD and vinyl. Think about it.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I wish Trent would bring “The Great Below” back to the live setlist.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    I'm not sure if Trent could still sing that track without a drop in key (a la We're In This Together)

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pbgut View Post
    Isn't that more of a (somewhat) recent addition? I thought all the halos before the TDS reissue had uniform halo catalog numbers across each release, since they all had the same content. My old copy of TF on vinyl (RIP) was just halo fourteen. I remember the same for the closer to god singles too.

If anything those few releases with identical content and semi-unique catalog numbers you mentioned (obviously not TDS DE since that had a whole bonus disc and three exclusive tracks) were the anomalies, not these. We've gone back to sanity!
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    That never happened between CD and vinyl back in the day, either. None of the albums, EPs, or singles got a special "modifier" to distinguish between CD and vinyl. Think about it.
    So, I'm a little off-base here. I was under the impression that the divergent labeling started with The Fragile. It actually appears to have started with With Teeth instead, which is labeled as Halo 19 v. All of the major releases after that have divergent Halo labeling - 20/20 DVD, 22/22 HD, 24/24 v, 25/25 v, etc.

There's only one example prior to that, which is 10/10v2 for the US/non-US versions of Further Down the Spiral. The other ones are either different releases entirely (like with And All That Could Have Been/Still) or were post-Fragile releases of pre-Fragile work (Pretty Hate Machine [02/02R] and TDS [8/8 DE etc.]).

So it is a more recent thing for sure, but not necessarily an anomaly, or an ultra-recent thing. I think this mostly just exposed my age and general preference for the post-Fragile era.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clarktrent View Post
    I'm not sure if Trent could still sing that track without a drop in key (a la We're In This Together)
    IIRC, on AATCHB live release it was already 1/2 tone lower

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Random NIN Thoughts

So, I'm a little off-base here. I was under the impression that the divergent labeling started with The Fragile. It actually appears to have started with With Teeth instead, which is labeled as Halo 19 v. All of the major releases after that have divergent Halo labeling - 20/20 DVD, 22/22 HD, 24/24 v, 25/25 v, etc.

There's only one example prior to that, which is 10/10v2 for the US/non-US versions of Further Down the Spiral. The other ones are either different releases entirely (like with And All That Could Have Been/Still) or were post-Fragile releases of pre-Fragile work (Pretty Hate Machine [02/02R] and TDS [8/8 DE etc.]).

So it is a more recent thing for sure, but not necessarily an anomaly, or an ultra-recent thing. I think this mostly just exposed my age and general preference for the post-Fragile era.
    Yeah, I'm not sure how old you are or how vividly you remember it (I got into NIN at the age of 9 or 10 with TDS, because my depression is strong) but around the time of the gap between AATCHB and WT, there was a proliferation of new formats and an explosion of legal and illegal consumer choices that made literally everyone in the music industry lose their minds. There is a video of Trent saying "Damn - you can watch video on two different formats now with different surround audio options or just on the internet entirely? Oh, wait, now it's four?!" that has been taken down multiple times due to copyright notices, possibly by Trent himself, due to the fact that he briefly slips into an embarrassing Pennsylvanian accent.

Less goofily though, the alternate labeling should indeed have continued with TF, as it started with FTDS having alternate content, as you said. I don't believe halo three has a "v2" labeling in the U.K., so I guess FTDS is the start of modifying the halo number. It's a little odd that The Slip had the "v" numbering for the vinyl since it's identical to the CD audio minus the DVD. Different formats didn't get different designations until AATCHB. The Slip seems to be the true anomaly, since it has the same tracklist; WT has a bonus track. My memory of post TF NIN is fuzzy as that's around the time I stop paying obsession-level attention to Trent anymore and I should have looked it up. The DE/R markings on TDS and PHM make sense since there is bonus material, whereas the only difference on these DE releases are catalog numbers, paper stock, credits (no Malm or Sheridan, and some other updated info – it seemed odd to remove the old crew that helped make the albums possible; very Stalin-esque) and either much or slightly louder audio.

Curiously my TDS vinyl doesn't even have a halo number on the back - just an Island Records catalog number. In fact I'm not sure "halo eight" exists in the U.K. So ... I guess there's always been oddities.
    Last edited by Pbgut; 09-24-2017 at 08:30 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Most NIN are better with headphones. None moreso than “Dear World,”

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    After Riot Fest, I was looking at the setlists that I've seen in the past and I was thinking the same thing about a few other songs. La Mer, The Line Begins to Blur, All Time Low, Various Methods of Escape, Last, and Into the Void (the last two I've never had the pleasure of seeing live)... And then there are the songs that have never been played: Sunspots, My Violent Heart, Zero-Sum (except for the "tease" at the end of In This Twilight), Demon Seed, The Idea of You, and of course The Perfect Drug. If I heard any of those live I'd be super-ultra-mega-pumped, no doubt.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Always interesting to me how Trent, a regular small town guy (albeit with an insane talent), was plagued by feeling he was never good enough. And so it motivated him to work an incredible amount, to get to a station in life that few ever get to. And now he seems comparatively happy. I'm a depression sufferer myself and don't mean to give a "mental illness isn't real" speech but sometimes it feels as if another interpretation of such feelings is that it almost seems like his future self was telling him to keep working and to keep pushing through everything to get somewhere that he probably couldn't fully understand as a younger person. (Not to gloss over the fact that these feelings were so exhausting that he had to self-medicate.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    After Riot Fest, I was looking at the setlists that I've seen in the past and I was thinking the same thing about a few other songs. La Mer, The Line Begins to Blur, All Time Low, Various Methods of Escape, Last, and Into the Void (the last two I've never had the pleasure of seeing live)... And then there are the songs that have never been played: Sunspots, My Violent Heart, Zero-Sum (except for the "tease" at the end of In This Twilight), Demon Seed, The Idea of You, and of course The Perfect Drug. If I heard any of those live I'd be super-ultra-mega-pumped, no doubt.
    I was lucky enough to see “Into The Void” during the Tension tour. I pretty much lost it.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kargath View Post
    I might have to read this bio after all
    I'm not sure if I'm amused or mortified that Al Jourgensen could apparently suck his own dick but based on what I've heard about him over the years I guess I shouldn't be surprised?
    Last edited by nooneimportant; 09-26-2017 at 06:51 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kargath View Post
    I might have to read this bio after all
    Bill Hartman's final comment really makes this, though.