Page 234 of 492 FirstFirst ... 134 184 224 232 233 234 235 236 244 284 334 ... LastLast
Results 6,991 to 7,020 of 14756

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

  1. #6991
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Space
    Posts
    265
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    TGD 2014 edition is sick. That's the one I want to see, and in better quality than what's on youtube.

  2. #6992
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,846
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Yeah, TGD was a whole different animal during 2014 than LITS. The bass was amazing with the added subwoofers and lighting/visuals were better too IMHO.

  3. #6993
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    1,794
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    So, Mark Romanek directs the pilot of The Whispers, Atticus scores Outcast, Charlie scores Wayward Pines. Lots of the NIN camp in the TV business lately, no? If only Trent and Rob were as lucky with their Year Zero TV show...

  4. #6994
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Southern california
    Posts
    978
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nineinchnerd View Post
    One of NIN's inspirations, Skinny Puppy, is touring this year:

    Good to see they're still going.
    they've been going since they reunited in 2004 lol

    also I dont think there's any love lost between the 2 camps...any warm fuzzy feelings dissipated long ago

  5. #6995
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Portsmouth, UK
    Posts
    383
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nineinchnerd View Post
    Now if only he can upload 'The Great Destroyer'...
    Absolutely. As per other comments - 2014 TGD was just crazy. London was a great show all round, but I distinctly recall a moment during that song just being completely floored by how good it sounded. Thoroughly enjoy peoples efforts via YouTube, but yes - if we can get a high quality version from the Vienna show that be amazing. Copy of A does indeed sound great too.
    I've never been a big fan of the previous official live albums from NIN, unless you count the LITS 'Gift'. I understand it feels sort of pointless to release live albums when so much is up online, but I'd really appreciate having properly recorded CDs or DVDs of shows from 2009 and 2013-14. Come on Trent, let's have it.

  6. #6996
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Cambourne, UK
    Posts
    227
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    If we don't get an official release of all the badass live shit we're hoping for, I'm going to punch someone right in the fucking porcupine, I swear.

  7. #6997
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Space
    Posts
    265
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    they've been going since they reunited in 2004 lol

    also I dont think there's any love lost between the 2 camps...any warm fuzzy feelings dissipated long ago
    Was there a feud between them or something?

  8. #6998
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Space
    Posts
    265
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Judging by some of the comments in the comments section here, I take it a lot of Skinny Puppy fans aren't exactly loving Trent. Kind of odd.

    http://www.vice.com/read/nivek-ogre-...d-000991-v20n5

  9. #6999
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,772
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nineinchnerd View Post
    Judging by some of the comments in the comments section here, I take it a lot of Skinny Puppy fans aren't exactly loving Trent. Kind of odd.

    http://www.vice.com/read/nivek-ogre-...d-000991-v20n5
    I love that Nivek Oghr is all about the environment and thinks we'd be better off as cavemen yet his music is electronic and stage shows energy intensive. If he's so concerned he should become a folksy musician touring the country on a bike surely?

  10. #7000
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Space
    Posts
    265
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamelion View Post
    If we don't get an official release of all the badass live shit we're hoping for, I'm going to punch someone right in the fucking porcupine, I swear.
    Honestly, I could care less for an official release of past stuff. I just want Trent to focus on the FUTURE of NIN. Not the past.

  11. #7001
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Cambourne, UK
    Posts
    227
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nineinchnerd View Post
    Honestly, I could care less for an official release of past stuff. I just want Trent to focus on the FUTURE of NIN. Not the past.
    Ooh, even better!! You mean like a blu ray of next year's NIN tour, like some kind of Year Zero-esque message from the future. That would be amazing.

    Wait, was that not what you meant?


  12. #7002
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Space
    Posts
    265
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamelion View Post
    Ooh, even better!! You mean like a blu ray of next year's NIN tour, like some kind of Year Zero-esque message from the future. That would be amazing.

    Wait, was that not what you meant?

    I meant focusing on the creation of new music and hopefully a tour with it down the line. I'd rather he put all his energy into that. Simply because I feel NIN is still relevant and the last album opened up a whole new world of possibilities and drew a lot of people's attention -- people who'd previously not really even known of NIN. Seeing how this thing evolves is going to be way more interesting than waiting for DVDs of past stuff, etc.

  13. #7003
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    born under punches
    Posts
    2,172
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    What do your nipples look like?

  14. #7004
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    7,357
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    What do your nipples look like?
    Hard and pink thanks to @tony.parente

  15. #7005
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Space
    Posts
    265
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Wouldn't it be cool if Trent had a major break up with his wife and filed for divorce? It would suck for the kids and the family, but probably would be awesome for the fans. Because you know SINGLE Trent would be tearing the music scene up hard, often and relentlessly.
    Last edited by nineinchnerd; 07-13-2015 at 11:47 PM.

  16. #7006
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    5,106
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nineinchnerd View Post
    Wouldn't it be cool if Trent had a major break up with his wife and filed for divorce? It would suck for the kids and the family, but probably would be awesome for the fans. Because you know SINGLE Trent would be tearing the music scene up hard, often and relentlessly.
    Wow you're just rolling out the "I'm a cunt" train today

  17. #7007
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    3,364
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nineinchnerd View Post
    Wouldn't it be cool if Trent had a major break up with his wife and filed for divorce? It would suck for the kids and the family, but probably would be awesome for the fans. Because you know SINGLE Trent would be tearing the music scene up hard, often and relentlessly.
    I facepalmed so hard I broke my nose. Better write a song about it.

  18. #7008
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    on my way to hell
    Posts
    835
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nineinchnerd View Post
    Wouldn't it be cool if Trent had a major break up with his wife and filed for divorce? It would suck for the kids and the family, but probably would be awesome for the fans. Because you know SINGLE Trent would be tearing the music scene up hard, often and relentlessly.
    No, that wouldnít be cool.

    And if we employ memory, we had "SINGLE Trent" from 89-09. I think the record shows that in his single years he was actually much more hiatus prone from making music than he has been since getting married.

  19. #7009
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Space
    Posts
    265
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Channard View Post
    No, that wouldn’t be cool.

    And if we employ memory, we had "SINGLE Trent" from 89-09. I think the record shows that in his single years he was actually much more hiatus prone from making music than he has been since getting married.
    Lol. Good point.

  20. #7010
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Southern california
    Posts
    978
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Channard View Post
    No, that wouldnít be cool.

    And if we employ memory, we had "SINGLE Trent" from 89-09. I think the record shows that in his single years he was actually much more hiatus prone from making music than he has been since getting married.
    "SINGLE" Trent wasn't so single those years...He had Tori Amos and of course that Courtney girl....and apparently he was quite into strippers, especially during his Cleveland era...Howard Stern told the story on how one time he was at a strip club back in the day and at least 4 strippers told him that night they are dating Trent Reznor...our dear boy got around. He just hid it well

  21. #7011
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    7,357
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Epic NIN moment just now: walking home from the station in the dark (only teensy bit of light left) and a street light started flickering like it was about to go out while I had the instrumental version of TDTWWA playing, then it suddenly flicked on. Very artistic moment matching the music.

  22. #7012
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    France
    Posts
    2,083
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nineinchnerd View Post
    I take it a lot of Skinny Puppy fans aren't exactly loving Trent. Kind of odd.
    Not at all, most Skinny Puppy fans consider Nine Inch Nails the same way most of us consider Linkin Park : a commercial, despicable pop compromise and a watered-down, dumbed-down alteration of a style we like to think our band invented. And just like us, they're as goddamn right about that as they are fucking wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by nineinchnerd View Post
    Wouldn't it be cool if Trent had a major break up with his wife and filed for divorce? It would suck for the kids and the family, but probably would be awesome for the fans.
    I do too wish that the life of the people I respect would turn to total shit. Ah the good old days of Reznor being drunk and shot up out of his gourd on stage, the years of waiting for a sign of life between albums, the pathetic rants on social media... Not to mention that it's such a graceful way to age, just look at Manson : the way he pukes and wheezes during songs really brings an added gravitas to the show...
    Last edited by Khrz; 07-14-2015 at 04:29 AM.

  23. #7013
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Space
    Posts
    265
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    Not at all, most Skinny Puppy fans consider Nine Inch Nails the same way most of us consider Linkin Park : a commercial, despicable pop compromise and a watered-down, dumbed-down alteration of a style we like to think our band invented. And just like us, they're as goddamn right about that as they are fucking wrong.
    Umm... no. They're flat out wrong. NIN is not some commercial garbage fake band like Linkin Park. The only reason NIN is popular is because Trent was a pure musician and had a pop background, which made some of his songs somewhat catchy. That's it. Trent is a REAL artist. Period. His popularity has nothing to do with him selling out or not being true to his art. His popularity just came from him being consistently great. Most of these Skinny Puppy people, including the musicians, are embittered by Trent's success. Indeed, a lot of industrial musicians are. Problem is their music appeals to a very small base; whereas Trent's music appeals to a wide audience. Trent has been nothing but an artist and only gained his status because his tastes tend to appeal to a broader crowd.

  24. #7014
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    France
    Posts
    2,083
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    You missed my point while illustrating it : the exact same thing could be said of Linkin Park from a fan's perspective.

    NIN has heavily taken clues from SP at the time ; That's a fact. Also a fact, NIN has enjoyed a lot more commercial, widespread success than SP.

    From this you can take the SP camp's side of the story and draw the conclusion that NIN has appropriated and altered Industrial in a way that was more commercially viable, incorporating pop/rock structures to a genre that was precisely the opposite of that, somehow bastardizing a genre that was anti-commercial, anti-establishment, and a negation to every popular cultural tropes at its core. From an underdog standpoint, Reznor came and made Industrial its bitch for money.

    From a NIN camp, you'd say that the genius of Reznor was his capacity to take cues and structures from a vast array of musical influences and mesh it into a coherent, more accessible new genre.

    Both are simply different perspectives on the same history, and none of those are really wrong, since they are just personal interpretations of the same basic facts.


    All the rest is just petty feuds between fans and artists, and it's always, always pretty stupid to pick a side.

    Quote Originally Posted by nineinchnerd View Post
    Most of these Skinny Puppy people, including the musicians, are embittered by Trent's success. Indeed, a lot of industrial musicians are.
    At this point you have absolutely no idea what you're saying, and somehow act like Reznor's the only true artist being concerned with his art and what it becomes. Reznor himself tends to look down on bands like KMFDM, and it has nothing to do with the success they might enjoy. He simply thinks it's dumb music.
    I'm not going all white knight on Ogre and Key, but I doubt that any outlook they could have on NIN could be summed up by "they're just jealous".
    Last edited by Khrz; 07-14-2015 at 06:09 AM.

  25. #7015
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,772
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    You think they're above jealousy? Personally although I don't massively like Pearl Jam myself, i think a lot of the rather petty missives thrown at Eddie Vedder by Billy Corgan, Kurt Cobain and also Trent are basically rooted in jealousy
    Last edited by WorzelG; 07-14-2015 at 06:52 AM.

  26. #7016
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Hungary
    Posts
    1,311
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Epic NIN moment just now: walking home from the station in the dark (only teensy bit of light left) and a street light started flickering like it was about to go out while I had the instrumental version of TDTWWA playing, then it suddenly flicked on. Very artistic moment matching the music.
    Wait, wait, wait... would you say... the light was... strobing?!

    (ehehehehehhehehehe.... *cough*, sorry)

    Quote Originally Posted by nineinchnerd View Post
    Umm... no. They're flat out wrong. NIN is not some commercial garbage fake band like Linkin Park. The only reason NIN is popular is because Trent was a pure musician and had a pop background, which made some of his songs somewhat catchy. That's it. Trent is a REAL artist. Period. His popularity has nothing to do with him selling out or not being true to his art. His popularity just came from him being consistently great. Most of these Skinny Puppy people, including the musicians, are embittered by Trent's success. Indeed, a lot of industrial musicians are. Problem is their music appeals to a very small base; whereas Trent's music appeals to a wide audience. Trent has been nothing but an artist and only gained his status because his tastes tend to appeal to a broader crowd.
    [triggered]

    All right dude, tell me how LP is talentless. So funny when people has to talk down on the music he hates. I hate plenty of artists and bands as well, but I'm not saying they are all talentless just because I hate them. You can hate LP, their music, how they are one of - if not THE - commercially most successfull bands in the last 15 years, but saying they are talentless is just ridiculous.

  27. #7017
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    France
    Posts
    2,083
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    You think they're above jealousy? Personally although I don't massively like Pearl Jam myself, i think a lot of the rather petty missives thrown at Eddie Vedder by Billy Corgan, Kurt Cobain and also Trent are basically rooted in jealousy
    No, I'm saying that reducing an artist's lookout on another artist's work to "he's just jealous because of monies" when you have don't have all the elements in hand is pretty silly, that's all.
    For all I know, maybe Ogre's foaming at the mouth while picturing Reznor sleeping on a bed made of money, but saying that "Lots of industrial musicians [are jealous of Trent's success] is an oversimplification of the situation.


    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    You missed my point while illustrating it : the exact same thing could be said of Linkin Park from a fan's perspective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    You can hate LP, their music, how they are one of - if not THE - commercially most successfull bands in the last 15 years, but saying they are talentless is just ridiculous.
    And there, you have it.

  28. #7018
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    on my way to hell
    Posts
    835
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billpulsipher View Post
    "SINGLE" Trent wasn't so single those years...He had Tori Amos and of course that Courtney girl....and apparently he was quite into strippers, especially during his Cleveland era...Howard Stern told the story on how one time he was at a strip club back in the day and at least 4 strippers told him that night they are dating Trent Reznor...our dear boy got around. He just hid it well
    I didnít realize that his escapades were so legendary! I bet Trent could relate experiences that would make Wilt Chamberlain jealous and cause Hugh Hefner to blush. But I suppose it all makes sense now. Through the 90ís to early 00ís, Trentís creativity was stifled and he disappeared for long stretches, because he was busy having so many debauched encounters, and was giving away way too much of his man juice, leaving him in a weakened state where he was reduced to essentially an inactive gelatinous blob of flesh that was good for nothing but breathing, drooling and farting. That lucky bastard!

    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    All right dude, tell me how LP is talentless. So funny when people has to talk down on the music he hates. I hate plenty of artists and bands as well, but I'm not saying they are all talentless just because I hate them. You can hate LP, their music, how they are one of - if not THE - commercially most successfull bands in the last 15 years, but saying they are talentless is just ridiculous.
    Yes the talent is there, the members are quite able musicians, more than capable of composing and performing respectable music. Unfortunately though, instead of doing that, they do Linkin Park.
     
    (Iím being facetious in my comments here )

  29. #7019
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    5,106
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Introducing a NIN fan to the Broken Movie makes me feel like a drug dealer, they'll like it but you know it's going to fuck them up

  30. #7020
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Southern california
    Posts
    978
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    some old interview from 92 used to be on youtube, where Ogre said nice things about the 'happiness in slavery' video....Bill Leeb (who Trent destroyed back in the day) posts NIN vids on fb quite frequently and always says nice things about his music. I think he's even posted HTDA videos....the hostility comes from old school "industrial" fans, those 45 year old rivetheads who still jack off to their nitzer ebb records, who despise NIN with a passion because technically NIN isnt a sacred "industrial" band like a Front 242 or FLA etc...I dont think the other "industrial" musicians have an issue with TR at all (except cev key who hates everyone and apparently is the biggest dick in the business...his own friends have told me that)

    and yes for the record, Corgan and Cobains hatred of Vedder was based purely on jealousy.
    Last edited by billpulsipher; 07-14-2015 at 02:18 PM.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions