Page 489 of 527 FirstFirst ... 389 439 479 487 488 489 490 491 499 ... LastLast
Results 14,641 to 14,670 of 15809

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vincenzomilione View Post
    does anyone remember/have knowledge of a playlist trent put out on beats music way back when that was a thing? it was a collection of very odd things that (i think) were things he was listening to during the PHM era or something like that.
    I took a screencap a while back of "Direct Effect", not sure if that's what you meant:

Edit to add a transcript, now that I'm not at the end of my lunch break:
    DIRECT EFFECT: MUSIC THAT INSPIRED NINE INCH NAILS
    18 Songs ∙ 01:08:34
    by Trent Reznor

1. A New Career In A New Town - David Bowie
    2. Digital - Joy Division
    3. You Know What You Are - Ministry
    4. Computer Love - Kraftwerk
    5. Song To The Siren (Remastered) - This Mortal Coil
    6. Weary Blues From Waitin - Hank Williams
    7. Little Rough Rhinestone - Soft Cell
    8. Push - The Cure
    9. Lose My Breath - My Bloody Valentine
    10. One Of My Turns (2011 - Remaster) - Pink Floyd
    11. Mushroom - Can
    12. In Heaven (Lady In The Radiator Song) - David Lynch
    13. The Ledge - Fleetwood Mac
    14. Born Under Punches (The Heat Goes On) - Talking Heads
    15. When You Were Mine - Prince
    16. Just Like Honey - The Jesus And Mary Chain
    17. Four Enclosed Walls - Public Image Ltd.
    18. Up The Hill Backwards - David Bowie
    Last edited by Endlessly; 11-03-2020 at 06:37 PM. Reason: adding image transcript

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Endlessly View Post
    I took a screencap a while back of "Direct Effect"
    I admit, I did not expect to see Mushroom by Can on there... but I can hear in the rawness of the drums he likes to hear.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
    I admit, I did not expect to see Mushroom by Can on there... but I can hear in the rawness of the drums he likes to hear.
    you know, i always thought the name of that song was "mushroomhead" for some reason. and tago mago is my most listened-to can album.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Anyone know what favorite authors or specific books that Reznor was influenced by?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Molecule76 View Post
    Anyone know what favorite authors or specific books that Reznor was influenced by?
    Chuck Palahniuk.

The book The Lathe of Heaven had an indirect influence on Bleedthrough.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    I've met Chuck several times, to where he knows me by face when I see him. We always wind up talking about NIN when we meet. He listened to PHM and TDS incessantly during the creation of Fight Club, and told me The Fragile influenced some of the themes in Haunted, and With Teeth was a favorite when he was writing Rant..

During his book tour for Rant, I asked him to personalize my copy by telling me why he liked NIN, to which he wrote "Okay..I like NIN..for the complete lack of sympathy!"

I never asked him what exactly that meant, but it sounds cool as fuck..

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    he lives around here, I've never bothered figuring it out because I don't know what I'd do in the presence of features that sharp.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Man, it just occurred to me how eerie it must have been for TR when the ONE line, the only line that Johnny Cash changed for Hurt (“I wear this crown of thorns,”) actually names what Nine Inch Nails was at one point going to be called in the early days. I mean what are the odds of that?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Every single time I listen to/watch the version of Sin from AATCHB (which was that first "aha" moment when I fell in love with NIN), I think to myself, fuck, what a perfect song this is. What a perfect performance. It really never gets old.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    What if TR proposed to MQ by leaving a USB stick in their bathroom with a jpg of a ring saved on it. Then later when she found out she was pregnant, she did the same thing but with a baby jpg.
    Last edited by blassster; 11-15-2020 at 03:38 PM.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Broke the 10k barrier on last.fm with NIN today. I'm pretty sure there are at least two years missing, but wow, I really seem to like that band. Still.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    Broke the 10k barrier on last.fm with NIN today. I'm pretty sure there are at least two years missing, but wow, I really seem to like that band. Still.
    Congrats, welcome to the 5 figure club. On 17k myself.

Working on getting my girlfriend into NIN. I got her to listen though my introductory playlist, and I'm slowly working through the discography now, interspersing trivia... super fun.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpiusdiamond View Post

Working on getting my girlfriend into NIN. I got her to listen though my introductory playlist, and I'm slowly working through the discography now, interspersing trivia... super fun.
    I'm such a NIN nerd, I'm nearing 35k! Been proudly scrobbling since 2007! If that pandemic has had any positive effect on my life, is that I've listened to more music this year then I did in the past 10 years! I'm on pace to have the most scrobbles in 1 year since 2009 when the only time constraints and obligations I had was college, still living at my parent's. I'm such a stats nerd too... How time flies!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    Big milestone! I'm at 9,777 NIN scrobbles right now, so it's only a matter of time until I break the 10k barrier as well. Of all bands that I listen to it's the only constant, for 15 years now.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpiusdiamond View Post

Hehe, thanks! Well, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club and Mark Lanegan are 2nd and 3rd, but still a few thousand scrobbles off. There might be times, months, even years where I'm not in the NIN mood, but whenever something's happening in the NIN camp I get sucked right back in. This message board and many great people sure do help getting there. Pretty sure that if all the stuff from the RTIC vault would have counted I'd broken that barrier earlier. Anyways, just a little random fact and a neat reminder why I keep visiting this place on an almost daily basis.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    NTAE is so damn strong. I still remember the excitement I felt when I first heard it. I often struggle to think of recommendations to folks who haven’t heard NIN at all, and I might just throw NTAE at them and leave it at that.

Also, “The Idea of You" is underrated. I forgot Grohl drummed on this one!

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    2:08-2:22

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Ghosts Together reminds me a LOT of Pretty Hate Machine. Are there some of the same synths being used?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    NTAE is so damn strong. I still remember the excitement I felt when I first heard it. I often struggle to think of recommendations to folks who haven’t heard NIN at all, and I might just throw NTAE at them and leave it at that.

NTAE is my favorite EP from NIN, it's perfect, to me it's some of the heaviest/darkest music Trent has ever done and I will always utterly love it for that, it has this really claustrophobic feeling that gives me feelings of intense paranoia.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    Another moment I love in that song is how when the first time the chorus pops-up it does not get heavier until it plays for the second time where it goes on longer and gets heavier.
    Last edited by HWB; 11-26-2020 at 01:17 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Gave The Fragile a full listen for the first time in a little while. I feel lots of things right now, notably tense after the last few songs.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disassociative View Post
    Gave The Fragile a full listen for the first time in a little while. I feel lots of things right now, notably tense after the last few songs.
    The last minute of Ripe (With Decay) is definitely very tense.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)

So has anyone ever asked Rob why he chose the Backstreet Boys as his main inspiration for the With Teeth art direction?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    I love that breakdown, but it totally needs to be longer. It just sounds like it wants to get noisier. I feel like post The Fragile this happens from time to time. There are moments when it almost feels like the track was edited (e.g. Head Down, In Two, etc.).

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post

So has anyone ever asked Rob why he chose the Backstreet Boys as his main inspiration for the With Teeth art direction?
    More concerning, why were you looking that CD up?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    More concerning, why were you looking that CD up?
    Backstreet's back, alright?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Hey, that first BSB album is pretty great.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Ya'll can't deny you don't pause and lip sync to "Quit Playin' Games with My Heart" when it comes on in the grocery store.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ickyvicky View Post
    Ya'll can't deny you don't pause and lip sync to "Quit Playin' Games with My Heart" when it comes on in the grocery store YMCA shower.
    Fixed that for ya

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Year Zero may be my favorite album right now, I absolutely love for the ammount of layers it has and how noisy all of them are, I live for the type of shit Trent is doing on Year Zero.