Page 483 of 527 FirstFirst ... 383 433 473 481 482 483 484 485 493 ... LastLast
Results 14,461 to 14,490 of 15809

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    I have been a fan of this band for over 15 years. Until now I thought I had consumed everything there is relating to NIN and Trent Reznor, but in all those years I never knew that Trent provided the voice of the main character in quake. I knew he did the music, I knew there are those NIN crates in the game, but I never knew his voice is actually in it.
    AFAIK He did everything sound-related for it, all SFX.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I have been a fan of this band for over 15 years. Until now I thought I had consumed everything there is relating to NIN and Trent Reznor, but in all those years I never knew that Trent provided the voice of the main character in quake. I knew he did the music, I knew there are those NIN crates in the game, but I never knew his voice is actually in it.

Huh, did they low-pitch his voice or something? Too deep for 90s Trent..

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HWB View Post
    Huh, did they low-pitch his voice or something? Too deep for 90s Trent..
    I hear his Year Zero voice in it.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    all jokes aside, my favorite "side" of any NIN release, ever, and still, is Broken. I could throw Fixed in there, too: they're sort of companion pieces. (side note: i had a Fixed shirt before Fixed was released, at least in Dallas. it had the Broken "n" in blue, and said Fixed on the back of the shirt,i think. and i just figured it was some sort of clever companion to the broken promo materials.

i got into NIN, because of broken, when it came out, when i was fucking TWELVE.
    Then i backtracked to PHM, and then found Fixed.

NIN, for me, was still UTTERLY FUCKING TERRIFYING at this point.

i waited with baited breath for the pre TDS maxi singles, or whatever you call them, like the MOTP one.
    TDS finally came out, and, it was similarly disturbing. Is it better (than broken/fixed/phm) musically? is it more complex? is it a more, idk, "focused" artistic statement? i think it is. and, i've finally begrudgingly come to the conclusion that TDS IS the best NIN record, objectively.

BUT, Broken/Fixed will likely ALWAYS be my favorite NIN thing.
    And, downward spiral continued the vibe.

yet, i honestly wish to GOD i could build, (well, FINISH building,) a time machine, and temporarily erase most NIN music and press from the minds of some of you youngsters,and take you to a couple shows right after TDS was released: before a fuckton of interviews, before the hype, and before Closer was a radio hit.

You sort of just had to be there, and i'd imagine that those of you who WERE there know what i mean.
    That reminds me actually, that NIN came back SUPER HARD in 2016, I remember getting really uite freaked out by Not The Actual Events, everything about it made me unneasy (and I loved every moment of it.);

The references to Still on the cover art, the rather crazy lyricism, musically it was definitelly the scariest thing NIN has done in a while, it had an incredibly apocalyptic feel and I'd say some of these songs are some of NIN's heaviest, or amongst the heaviest ones. Then the physical component comes with a terrifying warning which covers you in a substance which we had no idea what it was made out of and the component itself are lyrics from the album, anxiously thrown around. I absolutely love NTAE and it marked the point when NIN started freaking me out again, I absolutely LOVE how much anxiety "The Background World" gave me when I heard it for the first time, I love being absolutely spooked by "I'm Not From This World" and then being haunted by the entirety of Locusts.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)

That's not quite all of them; there's 31 total:

https://mega.nz/folder/ykJxFISB#yxu6WUedy1UKLStU03-m_A

axhit1
    axhit2
    death1
    death2
    death3
    death4
    death5
    drown1
    drown2
    gasp1
    gasp2
    gib
    h2odeath
    h2ojump
    inh2o
    inlava
    land
    land2
    lburn1
    lburn2
    pain1
    pain2
    pain3
    pain4
    pain5
    pain6
    plyrjmp8
    slimbrn2
    teledth1
    tornoff2
    udeath

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Curious if the thought crossed their mind to shove any of that or other obscure clips into TGD breakdown or how long it'd take us to figure it out.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    In my mind WT carries a heavy Songs For The Deaf influence for employing Grohl on most of the songs. I wish he'd be featured on more songs though, so that the album would feel even more as one, sonically speaking.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    I'd love it 1000 times more if the studio take had the live chorus—"As far as I have gone to know what side I'm on." The horrible grammar of the studio take is one poetic concession I've never been able to give him. Sucks. But it's my field and it's hard for me to ignore.

If there were a studio take of the track with that chorus, it would be in my top tier of Nine Inch Nails songs. In fact, if I had disposable income, I'd pay someone to create this for me—that's how much I want it.
    TLBtB doesn't have a grammar problem as I read it. Not nearly as bad as "We're in This Together" does! The phrase "as far as I have gone" could either act as conjoined to the next one, or not, depending if the word "to" is added or not. This gives the line two subtly different meanings:

1. As far as I have gone, I knew what side I'm on. "No matter what has happened up to this point, I knew right from wrong."

2. As far as I have gone to know what side I'm on. "I had to go all this way to figure out what's right and wrong."
    Last edited by botley; 08-01-2020 at 07:35 AM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    In my mind WT carries a heavy Songs For The Deaf influence for employing Grohl on most of the songs. I wish he'd be featured on more songs though, so that the album would feel even more as one, sonically speaking.
    It's a combo of Queens For The Stone Age and Killing Joke, Trent literally spoke about Killing Joke's influence on The Collector, talking about wanting to create the primal soudn which Killing Joke have for that song and perhaps some of the others too.

Dave Grohl drummed on their second debut too, funilly enough, so that is probably the record to look afte when we talk about Killing Joke influences.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Where "The Line Begins to Blur" is concerned, it's not "as far as I have gone" that bothers me at all, it's the next part. "I knew what side I'm on" feels like it switches tense in the middle of the sentence.
    It feels that way, but syntactically, it doesn't do that. "I knew" is past tense, and "what side I'm on" can be ambiguous without being present tense.

If I add more words and keep the same meaning maybe it makes more sense:

I knew what I do profess to be true.
    Last edited by botley; 08-01-2020 at 08:34 AM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I actually really think that with The Line Begins To Blur it's;
    Studo >Live.

The "I DON'T KNOW!" part (second verse) is far more effective in studio than in the Beside You In Time version, not a fan of the vocals that are going on in that part in the Live version.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I don't feel like it's at all industrial. To a large extent, I don't feel like The Fragile is even a particularly industrial record. It's not a bad thing, per se, that he moved out of the sound. Better than standing still. But, with a few exceptions, I still feel like the sharper edges are filed off of the songs on With Teeth. "You Know What You Are" is heavy, sure, but feels more polished and reined in than something that bombastic would have been in the past—"Gave Up" and "March of the Pigs" come to mind.
    To be frank, I think its heaviness is more akin to something off The Fragile, it gives me some "No, You Don't vibes or so, I think in the terms of polish it is samiliar to that.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    The quake ranger "telefragged" noise always sounds like a person suffering from projectile vomiting. I wonder if Trent actually went that far and puked to record it.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    That reminds me actually, that NIN came back SUPER HARD in 2016, I remember getting really uite freaked out by Not The Actual Events, everything about it made me unneasy (and I loved every moment of it.);

The references to Still on the cover art, the rather crazy lyricism, musically it was definitelly the scariest thing NIN has done in a while, it had an incredibly apocalyptic feel and I'd say some of these songs are some of NIN's heaviest, or amongst the heaviest ones. Then the physical component comes with a terrifying warning which covers you in a substance which we had no idea what it was made out of and the component itself are lyrics from the album, anxiously thrown around. I absolutely love NTAE and it marked the point when NIN started freaking me out again, I absolutely LOVE how much anxiety "The Background World" gave me when I heard it for the first time, I love being absolutely spooked by "I'm Not From This World" and then being haunted by the entirety of Locusts.
    The vibe around NTAE was incredible. It really did feel haunted - the minimal website relaunch, the Still artwork, the absolutely horrifying opening to the album that was so different from Hesitation Marks. As frustrating as it was to have to wait the entire year for NIN to come back, when they did, they came back HARD. If we consider the trilogy as one continuous "album cycle," I think this was by far my favorite.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)

although i dug the shit out of every NIN release (aside from the ghosts things, which i APPRECIATE from an artistic standpoint, but don't LISTEN to very often,)
    i'm 100% with you on this. NTAE is similar to broken, in a way, ESPECIALLY the first track. it's one of my favorite NIN tracks, and i've been a fan for 28 years.

i loooooooove WT and i looooooove YZ, etc, but it's just a different vibe. and i'm not saying either sound/vibe is objectively better than the other.
    it's just that the NIN i first discovered was like, idk, an awful car crash-the sort of thing that terrified me, but i couldn't look away.
    Add Marilyn Manson as openers at my first or second NIN show, when i didn't know who MM was, when i was a freshman or sophomore in HS, and good god, it was unreal.

Again, i know a lot of you guys were there for it. for the record, i'm absolutely not talking down to the folks who missed it. Hell, i'm a big Rush fan, and i'd be utterly infuriated if people looked down for missing the 2112 tour because i wasn't alive yet.
    But good GOD, nin was scary early on. Add in the broken movie, which was something we passed around on VHS back then, and, yeah. Jesus. I fucking loved it.

I ALSO love HM, too, though, and i'd honestly like to hear more of THAT style.
    I'm amazed that this "little old band" has covered so much territory.
    I want them to make hip hop beats for one of these young rappers next. :P

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    As for "We're in This Together," I find "down the path we have chose"
    all he had to do was change it to "down the path that we chose" or "which we chose" and it would have been fine, without losing any of its poetic sensibility

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    What I'm saying is that making the tense an awkward conjugation is deliberately destabilizing and that is the poetic sensibility. "Down the path that we chose" is mere mimesis; "down the path we have chose," in that context, is poesis.

I don't think he was forced into that corner because he couldn't come up with something less clunky, I think he put himself in that lyrical space on purpose. The fact that he emends "Line" live makes me feel like that might have been an oversight.

Regardless, whether or not one enjoys either is up to him/her/them. But I don't think it can be argued that the lyric in "Line" is grammatically sound.

you're the scholar so i defer to you

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    So how did he change the lyrics for the live performance?

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    I believe it has always been "As far as I have gone to know what side I'm on" live. It was this the times I've seen him perform it in person and online and it's also this on Beside You in Time.
    Correct, and it’s always bugged me.

The more I stay in here
    The more it's not so clear
    The more I stay in here
    The more I disappear
    As far as I have gone
    I knew what side I'm on / (live: To know what side I’m on)
    But now I'm not so sure
    The line begins to blur

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Personally, I think @Sesquipedalism is giving The Fragile an easy pass. "I knew what side I'm on" is equally poetic deletion, and makes more sense to me in context than "we have chose" does. "Knew/am" may feel like sloppy writing or a case of tense collision, but to my ear that's just how people talk when they describe feelings of ambiguity in the past tense. "Previously, when it came to this issue, I knew where I stand!" And in the With Teeth context, that's interesting because it speaks to the ambivalence around the narrative exploring notions of clarity — and blurring the delineation of true/false, good/evil, past/present, me/them. I'll buy James' theoretical buttressing on The Fragile's inter/intrapersonal narrative, but only in light of what TR's writing subsequently on With Teeth made much more clear and understandable. If he hadn't wrote "there is no FUCKING YOU, there is ONLY ME", it would be much harder to support your case for a multiple personality interpretation of The Fragile based purely on its own text.
    Last edited by botley; 08-02-2020 at 09:31 AM.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Not only is Bad Witch the best in the trilogy, it's probably my personal favorite record of Trent's since With Teeth.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Killing Joke

Dave Grohl drummed on their second debut too, funilly enough, so that is probably the record to look afte when we talk about Killing Joke influences.
    Thanks for the suggestion, I just gave that record a listen and loved the production!

The way the lyrics are sung, however, I can't seem to get into. It's the same with heavy metal for me. It sounds like Lord Krulos of Dino Riders fame stepping to the mic to my ears.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Hey, that cartoon fucking rocks! Watched it when I was a kid.
    Killing Joke fucking rocks too.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Ha. Somewhere on this site there's someone whose degree is specifically in English Linguistics who'll come along and be like, "No, actually it's Dative Polypersonal Agreement and it's grammatically sound," and I will have fuckall to say about it.
    You rang?

(Hey, if you can understand it, it's a valid enough construction. We're trained towards descriptivism!)

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Fair enough, though you'll never sell me on "I knew what side I'm on" in the slightest. And somewhere on the old SLS board, I think there's at least half a record of song-by-song breakdown of The Fragile as a record with only one character I put together in early 2002. You can support the reading without extra-textual sources. I think Trent might have even prompted me to look for it in an interview or something.
    I vaaaaaguely remember reading that, actually. @allegro were you around for that discussion? If I remember right, you were still going by "Beavette" at that point.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Endlessly View Post
    You rang?

(Hey, if you can understand it, it's a valid enough construction. We're trained towards descriptivism!)
    What they said ^^

Prescriptivism and descriptivism.

(There’s no place for grammar Nazis in poetry.)
    Last edited by allegro; 08-02-2020 at 07:31 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I can grok Shakespearean sonnets, so don’t look at ME. :-)

“When as thine eye hath chose the dame,
    And stalled the deer that thou shouldst strike,
    Let reason rule things worthy blame,
    As well as fancy, partial might.
    Take counsel of some wiser head,
    Neither too young nor yet unwed.“
    Last edited by allegro; 08-02-2020 at 07:30 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I looked around for "playlist" topics but can't find a good recent one, so here it is... I spent 3 hours yesterday trying to put together NIN "world domination introduction" playlist and came up with this one. Not easy to select, remove, sort... with so much to choose from, and I love each one on this list and can not remove anything. Also make "album" art, balance volume (mp3gain.exe), precisely tag everything, good work! ;-) Running time: 2h40m.

01 Something I Can Never Have.mp3 (Still)
    02 Thats What I Get.mp3
    03 Happiness in Slavery.mp3
    04 Closer.mp3 (All that could have been live)
    05 Dead Souls.mp3
    06 A Warm Place.mp3
    07 The Day The World Went Away.mp3 (CRC Sessions)
    08 La Mer.mp3 (Deviations)
    09 The Great Below.mp3 (All that could have been live)
    10 Metal.mp3
    11 Where Is Everybody.mp3
    12 And All That Could Have Been.mp3
    13 You Know What You Are.mp3
    14 Every Day Is Exactly the Same.mp3
    15 The Line Begins To Blur.mp3
    16 The Beginning of the End.mp3
    17 The Great Destroyer.mp3 (Modwheelmod)
    18 Another Version Of The Truth.mp3 (Kronos Quartet & Enrique Gonzalez Müller)
    19 In This Twilight.mp3
    20 Zero-Sum.mp3
    21 Lights In The Sky.mp3
    22 Corona Radiata.mp3
    23 Copy Of A.mp3
    24 Find My Way.mp3 (Oneohtrix Point Never Remix)
    25 While Im Still Here.mp3
    26 Black Noise.mp3
    27 Dear World.mp3
    28 LESS THAN.mp3
    29 NOT ANYMORE.mp3
    30 THE BACKGROUND WORLD.mp3
    31 Over and Out.mp3
    32 I Cant Give Everything Away.mp3
    Last edited by Substance242; 08-05-2020 at 04:00 AM. Reason: link removed

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    ^ Nice list!

While reading it a thought came to my mind regarding La Mer. The initial Apple Music instrumental release had that few second audio glitch in it. Is the Deviations version exactly the same as the Apple Music version, only with the glitch fixed? Or does it differ even more?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    It’s the same, glitch fixed.