Page 7 of 528 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 57 107 507 ... LastLast

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    hah I see the guy got some comments

Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Well thanks to this I just discovered fincktheworld.com and browsed it for a while... now go here and scroll down to a question submitted by MasterShake
    Trent solved this faster... kind of
    http://www.nin-pages.de/access_2004_05_06_text.htm (seach for meathead)
    Last edited by acidpolly; 02-13-2012 at 11:01 AM.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by acidpolly View Post
    arrr the guy is angry for Finck's fanblog using his image
    http://gtvone.com/2012/02/13/copyright-web-anymore/
    I anxiously await the photographer response to Matt's brilliant comment.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Thanks. That was a first draft, but I was late for work, so I hit "Post Comment" mid-thought.

What a backwards, whiny twit. "Oh man, I went to the Slayer concert, but when I got down on the floor, all these people kept bumping into me! Have you people no decency?" In case he hasn't noticed, there are a bajillion photos of Robin Finck on the internet, in no small part because of the open camera policy at the last few tours. If anyone's going to pay for a photo of Robin Finck (Spoiler: they won't), they'd be better off licensing a photo from Rob Sheridan anyway, because he's got the best seat in the house when it comes to taking pictures of Nine Inch Nails.

To whine about losing some kind of royalty that will never emerge, out of someone posting your photo to tumblr complete with a link back to your page, is just plain petulant.

He embedded vimeo content on his blog, linking back to the creator of the content. I fail to see how that is any different from what happened on the finck fan page. Ugh!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Just game across this remix:

http://remix.nin.com/play/mix?id=25595

I can't stop listening to this, it's sexy as hell!

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    He took his entire post down. I hate people like that.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    Thanks. That was a first draft, but I was late for work, so I hit "Post Comment" mid-thought.

What a backwards, whiny twit. "Oh man, I went to the Slayer concert, but when I got down on the floor, all these people kept bumping into me! Have you people no decency?" In case he hasn't noticed, there are a bajillion photos of Robin Finck on the internet, in no small part because of the open camera policy at the last few tours. If anyone's going to pay for a photo of Robin Finck (Spoiler: they won't), they'd be better off licensing a photo from Rob Sheridan anyway, because he's got the best seat in the house when it comes to taking pictures of Nine Inch Nails.

To whine about losing some kind of royalty that will never emerge, out of someone posting your photo to tumblr complete with a link back to your page, is just plain petulant.

He embedded vimeo content on his blog, linking back to the creator of the content. I fail to see how that is any different from what happened on the finck fan page. Ugh!
    Moral of the story: too many people are born with The Stupid Gene.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessamineny View Post
    I hate that sort of thing too, but I do think he maybe is beginning to understand what the hub-bub was about. He emailed me privately, and we engaged further. I laid out a few analogies, and pointed out that he had done a "30 days of music" series of blog posts where he was putting up music that he surely didn't ask permission for, and that the original artists surely were not getting paid for.

Maybe that point of view helped to counter his reactionary post, as now he's got this one up. I hope that's not also just reactionary, but founded on newfound insight.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I really want to see the original video for The Hand that Feeds. I think filming took place but was abandoned. What was the deal with that??
    I wonder if there is any footage from this shoot.....I think the video was meant to have a political theme about George Bush, who has just been re-elected.. And was shot by the guy who had just done that Eminem video with a similar edge.
    I remember it sounded bad. But interested to see it still.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Highly Psychological View Post
    I really want to see the original video for The Hand that Feeds. I think filming took place but was abandoned. What was the deal with that??
    I wonder if there is any footage from this shoot.....I think the video was meant to have a political theme about George Bush, who has just been re-elected.. And was shot by the guy who had just done that Eminem video with a similar edge.
    I remember it sounded bad. But interested to see it still.
    It was scrapped pre-production (unlike EDIETS, which was scrapped after principal shooting), so it doesn't exist. And it was to be made by the company who made Eminem's Mosh video, not necessarily the same person.
    The reason for scrapping is that a) the original script and ideas were leaked, and b) Rob and Trent didn't like it very much.

Oh, and it wasn't the original video, it was to be a sister video to the one we have, and made afterwards.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    I miss Trent's nin.com posts.

We need an /access section put up again. That was so much fun in 2003/2004.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jessamineny View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviathant View Post
    I hate that sort of thing too....
    What? THIS post???

Does copyright on the web mean anything anymore?

Posted on February 13, 2012 by gtvone
    I have a few images on Flickr, I don’t post anything I care so much about anymore… Mostly Instagrams… (I still care about them, but not to the point where I’d invoice you for using one, yet) ….I don’t post them because mostly they’re just taken and used, regardless of my copyright, by people that don’t care for my rights / necessity to make some cash from my images.
    http://www.fincktheworld.com – I’m looking at you.
    Anyway, here’s a great example of why… I have Google alerts, I use a lot of them – and of the many times I’ve found one of my images being used without my permission online, Google has been the one to tell em in 90% of cases…
    So, an alert pops up earlier today, it’s a link to a fan page for the guitarist, Robin Finck, (Yes, i realise that adding a link is only giving them traffic, ahh well) ..from NiN… And sure enough, there’s a photo that I took, intact with my © and having been taken from Flickr (where the image is also listed as © me) and it has been placed on Tumblr for the world to enjoy – and, great, that’s what photos are for, right? And look, you have even given me credit – nice, I shall pop into Westpac and give them credit for my home loan, that will be fine for this month’s payment? Westpac? Is that OK?

It’s been reblogged 13 times (13 other people have posted it, only one giving me credit for the image) ….So, my first reaction is “Where do I send the invoice” …so I was mid way through that standard email with the standard legal notice – and I thought, hell, I’ve not done anything with this photo of Robin, I didn’t bother to send it to him (his people) and or Nin… I just Flickr’d it and moved on…. So, there is potential loss in the future – if he becomes superhuman etc… But right now, why would I invoice the Fansite £160 for basic, small web usage? Because I should? I should do a lot of things…

What annoyed me about this is the fact that in the FAQ on the site, they suggest the following;
    “If any of the content posted on this blog is yours and you do not want it featured here, drop me a line at fincktheworld(at)gmail(dot)com and I will remove it.”
    It’s not your content! it is copyrighted to someone else, yet you post my photo first and ask questions later? What made you think it was OK to do this, along with all the other content you don’t own? (Yes, I really would like an answer in the comments below)
    There really is only one way to protect your intellectual property as a digital content creator – that is to keep it tucked away in hard drives where nobody will ever see it, right? Well, either that or hire yourself a lawyer.
    I don’t want the photo removed, what the hell, it’s out there… but please, ask first (I’ve got a drive full of Robin…!)
    Is Tumblr a haven of copyright infringement? What would you have done in my case?
    –Sime

BWAHAHAHAHA.

LINGERING OPEN TABS FTW.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    It was scrapped pre-production (unlike EDIETS, which was scrapped after principal shooting), so it doesn't exist. And it was to be made by the company who made Eminem's Mosh video, not necessarily the same person.
    The reason for scrapping is that a) the original script and ideas were leaked, and b) Rob and Trent didn't like it very much.

Oh, and it wasn't the original video, it was to be a sister video to the one we have, and made afterwards.
    The same director blogged about it ("brewing up another storm" or somesuch) so it's likely he was going to direct. I think the video we have was originally going to be an online-only "viral" companion to the never-completed concept video that was supposedly targeted at MTV and the like.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by virtua afro dj View Post
    my photo, amazing.
    edit: ironic, looking at the posts since, haha.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Especially the back...

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Since you asked...no.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I go to the University of North Texas. I saw John Legend speak last week, and I'm going to see Henry Rollins speak here in March. I think it'd be pretty sweet if they could get Trent to speak here or at any university in general.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Didn't Trent speak at a California university not too long ago about The Social Network soundtrack?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    That sounds familiar. I think he might have.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    ^^I think it was UCLA, if memory serves.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Okay, I'm gonna drop a little mini-essay here. It's about segues between songs.

Much of Trent's pre-2007 work featured several segues, such as The Becoming / IDNWT, A Warm Place / Eraser, Only / Getting Smaller and almost every track in The Fragile. Segues are, for the most part, beautiful. I really love how the ending of The Way Is Out Through blends with Into the Void. However, if you hear each song individually, the halves of the segues (in the beginning or the ending of a track) can be annoying.

In 2007, Trent found a great workaround to this problem; I'll call it "extra-tight segue".

In other words, songs that connect into each other but can also be easily listened to individually without having those abrupt cut-offs.

Trent began tinkering with this technique in Year Zero. Meet Your Master and The Greater Good are basically two halves of one track. It would make sense to split them on the end of a beat, but at the very end of MYM, you hear the synths fading out. The track stands on its own this way. Same with the beginning of TGG. An interesting fact is that the songs don't have a segue in the vinyl version; the drum loop of MYM fades out and TGG is basically the same thing as the multitrack version and the Instrumental found in remix.nin.com and the Maxi single of Survivalism (four bars without drums, just synths).

It was in NiggyTardust that Trent perfected this. Listen to the transition between Sunday Bloody Sunday and Break. It is seamless, but the reverb tail of SBS in the beginning of Break is so subtle you barely notice it. Same with DNA / WTF!. The last synth note and drums of DNA are heard in the very beginning of WTF! and also serve as an intro to the song.

The transitions between the Ghosts tracks are amazing. After listening to the whole album for the first time, I would mostly listen to random songs for a couple of months. But listening to the whole album again after that felt so much different. Those subtle connections make the tracks flow as a single, coherent piece of music. Those super-tight segues exist in all of Trent's works since then, such as TSN's Pieces Form the Whole / Carbon Prevails and HTDA's BBB / The Believers.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Yesterday marked 15 years since Lost Highway soundtrack was released

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD View Post
    I used to have a The Downward Spiral bootleg shirt in my first or second year of high school. It was printed on a low quality shirt and I wore the shit out of it. (I still have it).

But recently I found it again, same model, but printed on a heavy Fruit of The Loom shirt:
    http://www.bestial.ro/magazin-2-tric...tr_fr_169.html

Just ordered it.
    Btw, for those wondering, it was $10.
    It's here and I love it. Even though it's not original, I really like it.

Front + Back.. it's really tight, and the print is very thick.
    http://imgur.com/a/GLOgR

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    Okay, I'm gonna drop a little mini-essay here. It's about segues between songs.

Much of Trent's pre-2007 work featured several segues, such as The Becoming / IDNWT, A Warm Place / Eraser, Only / Getting Smaller and almost every track in The Fragile. Segues are, for the most part, beautiful. I really love how the ending of The Way Is Out Through blends with Into the Void. However, if you hear each song individually, the halves of the segues (in the beginning or the ending of a track) can be annoying.

In 2007, Trent found a great workaround to this problem; I'll call it "extra-tight segue".

In other words, songs that connect into each other but can also be easily listened to individually without having those abrupt cut-offs.

Trent began tinkering with this technique in Year Zero. Meet Your Master and The Greater Good are basically two halves of one track. It would make sense to split them on the end of a beat, but at the very end of MYM, you hear the synths fading out. The track stands on its own this way. Same with the beginning of TGG. An interesting fact is that the songs don't have a segue in the vinyl version; the drum loop of MYM fades out and TGG is basically the same thing as the multitrack version and the Instrumental found in remix.nin.com and the Maxi single of Survivalism (four bars without drums, just synths).

It was in NiggyTardust that Trent perfected this. Listen to the transition between Sunday Bloody Sunday and Break. It is seamless, but the reverb tail of SBS in the beginning of Break is so subtle you barely notice it. Same with DNA / WTF!. The last synth note and drums of DNA are heard in the very beginning of WTF! and also serve as an intro to the song.

The transitions between the Ghosts tracks are amazing. After listening to the whole album for the first time, I would mostly listen to random songs for a couple of months. But listening to the whole album again after that felt so much different. Those subtle connections make the tracks flow as a single, coherent piece of music. Those super-tight segues exist in all of Trent's works since then, such as TSN's Pieces Form the Whole / Carbon Prevails and HTDA's BBB / The Believers.
    great post and a really valid point. i'd like to add that the "extra-tight segue" follows directly from how TR and AR have be arranging songs since WT; the abrupt segues, rather than the gradual ones (such as "The Becoming" into "I Do Not Want This"), work so well because the actual songs begin and end rather abruptly quite often. where songs used to have some kinds of tails for the most part, even after abrupt endings ("The Fragile," "The Day the World Went Away," "IDNWT," etc.), they now sever completely. some of this comes from a serious reliance on continuous beats (like how the vast majority of songs on YZ have the same structure, with little variation, until the bridge), a feature that has come to define the NIN output post-2005 – though WT has a lot of it going on as well.

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    great post and a really valid point. i'd like to add that the "extra-tight segue" follows directly from how TR and AR have be arranging songs since WT; the abrupt segues, rather than the gradual ones (such as "The Becoming" into "I Do Not Want This"), work so well because the actual songs begin and end rather abruptly quite often. where songs used to have some kinds of tails for the most part, even after abrupt endings ("The Fragile," "The Day the World Went Away," "IDNWT," etc.), they now sever completely. some of this comes from a serious reliance on continuous beats (like how the vast majority of songs on YZ have the same structure, with little variation, until the bridge), a feature that has come to define the NIN output post-2005 – though WT has a lot of it going on as well.
    Fun little topic.

I'd just like to add how annoying it used to be to skip around the original Pretty Hate Machine CDs due to HORRIBLY-timed track breaks always getting it completely wrong, lol.

And I always thought the "negative number countdown" between "The Mark Has Been Made" and "Please" was particularly cool.

Yeah, I know it's not exactly the type of seque in question, being more of a remnant of a missing track removed from between the two rather than purely a blending of what came before and after...but still. Not knowing about "10 Miles High" one might easily think it was just an awesome little segue.

I know I did when I finally noticed the countdown there!

:D

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    thank you guys for reminding me how i dream of hearing so many songs without transitions, not so much PHM but the atrocious blend of Somewhat damaged/The day... never will it happen

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    sorry im sure this has been discussed, but can anyone shed any light on where the segue videos or audio came from between the music videos on closure? I know the elephant one is the Edison film. What about
    the others, like the one before The Pefect Drug? ("What does this mean? To disassemble.")

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    What ever happened to that facebook app that was dedicated to sowing if you have/want the NIN discog? I really liked that. anybody know?

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xfocalinx View Post
    What ever happened to that facebook app that was dedicated to sowing if you have/want the NIN discog? I really liked that. anybody know?
    Seeing as it was designed to be on your profile (back when we had apps on our profiles), it seems it's either been deleted by FB or its creator. And to be honest, nincatalog/nincollector is all you need to know that anyway.

The answer is, no, you don't have the whole thing unless you're crazy.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    Sunday Bloody Sunday and Break. It is seamless, but the reverb tail of SBS in the beginning of Break is so subtle you barely notice it.

BBB / The Believers.
    I loved your post, thanks for making me listen to those details again.

But, as you might have guessed, I don't agree with the ones I quoted there. Not entirely at least.
    While I agree SBS and Break have some sort of transition, I still firmly believe that Break has one of the worst intros possible and that kills it for me.

As for BBB / The Believers, I really can't hear it. I doubt the EP was designed with segues in mind.