Page 471 of 472 FirstFirst ... 371 421 461 469 470 471 472 LastLast
Results 14,101 to 14,130 of 14140

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Yeah, The Church did a concert like that and released an album/DVD of it called A Psychedelic Symphony. I think NIN could totally pull it off. It would be kind of like the Bridge School shows from 2006 and the 1999 MTV VMAs.

Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Perhaps it's because I actually haven't listened All Time Low for quite a while, but I've got to love it whenever I get caught off guard from that Final Fantasy sound.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Halo Infinity View Post
    that Final Fantasy sound
    Arpeggiators are cool.

Music is fun.

Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butter_hole View Post
    Same, NIN is so much more than a band to me. It's like asking which is my favourite child or something. This isn't just music.
    I just loved the way you put that. I really do.

I also came across the term "Deserted island band.", and now found an extra reason to also use that term to describe my adoration, gratitude and appreciation for Nine Inch Nails.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I hope one day Trent ends a show with The Background World. Curtains could close when the self-destructing loop kicks in and they could bring back the projections or have some freaky lightshow.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tap3worm View Post
    I hope one day Trent ends a show with The Background World. Curtains could close when the self-destructing loop kicks in and they could bring back the projections or have some freaky lightshow.
    actually I've been dreaming about that since the day it was released. this would be absolutely the best.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Imagine staying there, frozen, for 10 minutes after they left. ga

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    That would be great. Instead of ending the show, though, they could come back out and perform stripped down versions of a NIN track or two for the end using simple lighting. Something like simple flood lights or hanging (miner) lights so it looks like there was a malfunction with the entire presentation. You could chop up the loop to make it even more glitchy and shorten the time. Since I'm already dreaming, they could come out and play a TR+AR score song or two instead.

Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    I don't think I'll ever get enough of The Downward Spiral and The Fragile as far as proper listens and binges go. They're often the very first two albums I listen to, and have been for the past 17 years. I don't even remember binging on Nine Inch Nails without at least sitting through The Downward Spiral and The Fragile first, even if it was for just several songs at a time. It's as if I'd have to go through those albums first during any proper listen and/or binge of Nine Inch Nails.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Just realised it's been 5 years since I last saw NIN live. Fuuuck. I think I'm going to have to hold my nose and book a festival if that's the next he announces.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    The Life You Didn't Lead has some of Trent's best lyrics ever. Such a shame the song was never released. I'd love to hear it.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    So I'm listening to an ambient Brian Eno album right now and the background music that was just added to The NIN Hotline page started playing. Naturally, I freaked the fuck out. Like, how did this music suddenly end up with this new layer that I don't remember it having? LOL. Then I realized that those strains from "The New Flesh" sound really cool enmeshed with the Eno shit.
    Last edited by piggy; 11-21-2019 at 05:07 AM.

Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    so i'm listening to an ambient brian eno album right now and the background music that was just added to the nin hotline page started playing. Naturally, i freaked the fuck out. Like, how did this music suddenly up with this new layer that i don't remember it having? Lol. Then i realized that those strains from "the new flesh" sound really cool enmeshed with the eno shit.
    yesssssssssssssss

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Whenever the inevitable film about Trump/Russia/Ukraine comes out, I hope Trent and Atticus do the score. I feel like their music can take a film about that so much more tense. Also I hope Fincher directs it.
    Last edited by ryanmcfly; 11-21-2019 at 12:33 PM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmcfly View Post
    Whenever the inevitable film about Trump/Russia/Ukraine comes out, I hope Trent and Atticus do the score. I feel like their music can take a film about that so much more tense. Also I hope Fincher directs it.
    They need to hurry, then, before our government bans it, like it bans everything it cannot make money from

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Suddenly busy in nin land

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tomorrow is the release of Volume 2 according to nin.com. This is the amazon link to it https://amzn.to/2OHlCAI
    There is a discrepancy because on Amazon it says that will be available on December 6th.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I think most of you will agree...it's a pretty awesome time to be a NIN fan (not so much for my accounts)

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    I think most of you will agree...it's a pretty awesome time to be a NIN fan (not so much for my accounts)
    *Purchased limited edition of Billy Corgan's new album immediately before becoming aware that the Bird Box DE, With Teeth, and now Waves have all just dropped*

*Watches Watchmen Vol. 2 drop as well, still hasn't picked up the first volume yet*

*Ralph Wiggum smile*

My life is hell right now.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    It's interesting how the last ever reference to a machine in Trent's lyrics is in Somewhat Damaged. Pretty Hate Machine was the first album, then the lyric "machine" shows up several times on Broken and TDS.

It's like he's threw away some past self with the Fragile era and never looked back.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Random discovery while listening to things on random: While I'm Still Here merges into the Morris / Gilbert Zero Sum remix extremely well. Line 'em up and try it out for yourself.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    it took me awhile to listen to bw in it's entirety and even though i thought it was great, i hadn't revisited it until today. "over and out" is my favorite closer now. it's so funky and even danceable. it's refreshing to hear a nin album end on a note like that, rather than a slow burner.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    After a pretty long lull, we have 2 (soon to be 3) volumes of Watchmen, Waves, Bird Box extended, and the WT reissue. This is a lot of music to consume and process. Which is absolutely awesome. But I am feeling a bit overwhelmed. Do I focus on one or two of these releases, and really get to know them, or check them all out (because I don't want to wait), and risk them bleeding together a bit or none of them getting the true focus they deserve?

On a long enough timeframe, there will be future droughts where this problem will be easily solved and I can go back and re-explore works in more detail (like it seems people were appreciating with Vietnam War recently), but right now I can't help but feel a bit paralyzed in terms of where to start and what listening decisions to make. In a perfect world, these would have been a bit more spread out!

These are, of course, great problems to have.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    you basically summed up my whole week of excitement and confusion as to where to start processing all this new music. i finally decided to just focus on watchmen vol 1 and 2 and wait to process bird box until i receive the box set, and waves will probably have to wait a couple weeks. as you said, great problems to have

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by snichols View Post
    you basically summed up my whole week of excitement and confusion as to where to start processing all this new music. i finally decided to just focus on watchmen vol 1 and 2 and wait to process bird box until i receive the box set, and waves will probably have to wait a couple weeks. as you said, great problems to have
    Good call. Between listening to the music, the podcast, watching and re-watching the show, Watchmen is probably dominating my thoughts more than anything else and feels the most pressing to me, if I absolutely had to choose.

Yet, hearing amazing things about Waves and Birdbox and I can't help from my curiosity being peaked! Still, I think I am going to try to push them off to January if I can to give them their own space to breathe.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by valiantsteed View Post
    check them all out (because I don't want to wait), and risk them bleeding together a bit or none of them getting the true focus they deserve?
    I kinda made this mistake with Vietnam War and Patriots Day. Jumped on both of them simultaneously and now I can't tell them apart if a track comes up in a random playlist.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    So, every time the regular version of "lights in the sky" comes on, and it starts up "she's mostly gone" I always expect someone to yell "yeah, Trent!" After lol.

There is a professional soundboard audio from the 2009 wave goodbye sessions of this song that has someone yell that. I've probably listened to the live version more times than the actual studio one at this point.

Just an observation I came to, when the studio track just came on on shuffle on my mp3 player.

It's kinda like when piggy comes on. You gotta yell "hey mother fuckin pig" all the time. That's so imprinted in people's brains that I head people sing that all the time live, and it's always weird if he doesn't do it, cuz the whole fuckin room shouts it to the point where it's normal lol.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    So, every time the regular version of "lights in the sky" comes on, and it starts up "she's mostly gone" I always expect someone to yell "yeah, Trent!" After lol.

There is a professional soundboard audio from the 2009 wave goodbye sessions of this song that has someone yell that. I've probably listened to the live version more times than the actual studio one at this point.

Just an observation I came to, when the studio track just came on on shuffle on my mp3 player.

It's kinda like when piggy comes on. You gotta yell "hey mother fuckin pig" all the time. That's so imprinted in people's brains that I head people sing that all the time live, and it's always weird if he doesn't do it, cuz the whole fuckin room shouts it to the point where it's normal lol.
    Every time I listen to a version of The Frail live I hear that guy on the AATCHB version yelling "Nine Inch Nails....Yeah!" in my head.

I also now always expect "Somethings gonna get BROKEN!" during HLAH

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    I always expect "cunt!" at the end of The Wretched.
    Also: mmmmmmmmbah! g-gotcha-gotcha (you know which song).

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    The fact that all these albums (WT->YZ->TS->HM->NTAA->AV->BW)are all culminating within the YZ storyline is destroying my mental state. From The Warning in With Teeth to the A.I.R. flag in the track art for Head Down, to all the trilogy references. Most of it isn't news to me, but the Warning being confirmed as a WT demo writing. The mention of a "presence" in Bird Box. "Bleeding Through" in the lyrics for Beside You In Time, in the lyrics for Everything from HM, and again in lyrics for The Background World.

It seems like not being able to perform against a backdrop of G.W. Bush on MTV really set Trent off.

TDS/TF/HM thematically seem to be the 'reality' that this YZ story can't seem to wake up into, but it bleeds through the broken simulation machine. (?) Maybe that machine's the back cover of AV? Maybe the trilogy is the Bleedthrough concept fleshed out?
    Last edited by laststepdown; 12-02-2019 at 07:18 PM.