Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    A blast from the past...

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Listening to Together, still holds up as a very quality Ambient record

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I'm in that mood again where The Slip is my favorite album, very tightly put together, superb album, very underrated.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    I had read online a few years ago there was a weird segment during the MTV VMAs in 1998 where Courtney Love and Marilyn Manson were shit talking Trent Reznor on live TV. I always wanted to see if I could find proof of it somewhere but never could come up with anything. Oddly enough, I went down a YouTube wormhole last night and found it.

Starts at 1:30, but it's Love with the newly reunited Hole. She asks "whatever happened to Trent Reznor?" and proceeds to tell this weird story about how she has a theory that her and Marilyn Manson ate his nuts or something. It's bizarre. It's also hilarious because apparently after this segment was when the first tease of the Fragile in the "ninety nine" commercial debuted.

Crazy to think Trent was hard at work on the Fragile which wouldn't be released until a year later and he had peers talking trash on TV.
    Last edited by thefragile_jake; 02-15-2021 at 12:28 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    I had read online a few years ago there was a weird segment during the MTV VMAs in 1998 where Courtney Love and Marilyn Manson were shit talking Trent Reznor on live TV. I always wanted to see if I can proof of it somewhere but never could come up with anything. Oddly enough, I went down a YouTube wormhole last night and found it.
    "He gone. And we're thriving!"

Time is a funny old thing.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    "He gone. And we're thriving!"

Time is a funny old thing.
    Exactly.

Also wanted to share that because of the context in 1998 vs. 2021.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Exactly.

Also wanted to share that because of the context in 1998 vs. 2021.
    This whole ‘Marilyn Manson ate the father’ narrative is in this interview with Howard Stern too. Almost like they got together to push this narrative. It’s from about 2 mins or so.

Last edited by WorzelG; 02-16-2021 at 08:04 AM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Vaguely NIN-related and I can’t remember if I mentioned this or not.

One of my hobbies is indie perfumes, and many of my favorite houses occasionally have slots for collaboration on custom scents. So when I was able to nab custom slots, I decided to have some fun with it and do perfumes that were NIN-themed. I basically just told the perfume houses “can you make a perfume that you think embodies this song or music video?” Both houses seemed to have a blast doing it, especially since I gave them total creative freedom with the notes.

One I’ve had for a few months, the other just arrived today.

The first one is from a company called Death and Floral out of Texas. The perfume is inspired by “The Perfect Drug”, and has notes of absinthe, black musk, velvet, silk and cold metal.

The second one is from a company called Stereoplasm out of Canada, and it’s inspired by Head Like a Hole. It has notes of black (as your soul) coffee along with leather, amber resin, clove and teak wood.

Both of them are extremely atmospheric and masculine, I’m hoping to get a custom slot somewhere else in the future to do a more feminine scent with my “theme”. I thought it might be neat to do something using the song La Mer next time.

But yeah, fun experience for a fan who also loves perfume and cologne!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eachpassingphase View Post
    Vaguely NIN-related and I can’t remember if I mentioned this or not.

One of my hobbies is indie perfumes, and many of my favorite houses occasionally have slots for collaboration on custom scents. So when I was able to nab custom slots, I decided to have some fun with it and do perfumes that were NIN-themed. I basically just told the perfume houses “can you make a perfume that you think embodies this song or music video?” Both houses seemed to have a blast doing it, especially since I gave them total creative freedom with the notes.

One I’ve had for a few months, the other just arrived today.

The first one is from a company called Death and Floral out of Texas. The perfume is inspired by “The Perfect Drug”, and has notes of absinthe, black musk, velvet, silk and cold metal.

The second one is from a company called Stereoplasm out of Canada, and it’s inspired by Head Like a Hole. It has notes of black (as your soul) coffee along with leather, amber resin, clove and teak wood.

Both of them are extremely atmospheric and masculine, I’m hoping to get a custom slot somewhere else in the future to do a more feminine scent with my “theme”. I thought it might be neat to do something using the song La Mer next time.

But yeah, fun experience for a fan who also loves perfume and cologne!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That HLAH one sounds like my jam

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    i didnt know until today that the track Ruiner sampled this massive 1984 hip hop breakdance classic for its main beat. have known both songs for many years but never made connection.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exocet View Post
    i didnt know until today that the track Ruiner sampled this massive 1984 hip hop breakdance classic for its main beat. have known both songs for many years but never made connection.

I came across this info last year and never added it to the wiki. Thanks for reminding me.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    This whole ‘Marilyn Manson ate the father’ narrative is in this interview with Howard Stern too. Almost like they got together to push this narrative. It’s from about 2 mins or so.

I try to avoid being petty, but this feels appropriate: I find it laughable that Courtney Love is talking like Trent's career was over in 1998 (mere months before he dropped another classic album in The Fragile). Fast-forward to now and I have no idea if Love has put anything meaningful out and, well, not much to be said about Warner. Meanwhile, Trent put out even more excellent albums, got inducted into the Rock 'n Roll HoF, won an Oscar and continues to do amazing work with both NIN and his scores.
    Last edited by Ruined; 02-17-2021 at 02:51 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post

She should go to Howard Stern again and being asked if she hates Trent now every time she's watching movies...

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exocet View Post
    If it makes you feel any better, I had the same reaction when I learned about this connection last year. Before I found Nine Inch Nails, "The Best of the Art Of Noise" was kinda all I listened to for months, and is still an album I return to from time to time. For as much as that album is embedded in my mind, I listened to TDS probably 100x as much, if not more, than that, and never picked up on that those were Art of Noise samples either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Considering pasting together parts of the Terrible Lie multitrack to make a sort of differently mixed Terrible Lie (Empathetic Mix) instrumental. Has anyone else done this already?

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
    I try to avoid being petty, but this feels appropriate: I find it laughable that Courtney Love is talking like Trent's career was over in 1998
    Fuck that. Revel in that feeling. It's Courtney Love. She has quintupled down on this approach to her celebrity. She deserves that exact response from the public, part us NIN fans. And that comes from a huge fan of Hole (would have killed to see them live at all...and even moreso pre-Celebrity Skin).

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    Fuck that. Revel in that feeling. It's Courtney Love. She has quintupled down on this approach to her celebrity. She deserves that exact response from the public, part us NIN fans. And that comes from a huge fan of Hole (would have killed to see them live at all...and even moreso pre-Celebrity Skin).
    Yes, if she says she wants to be competitive with men in rock like in this interview, she needs to record an album and tour it, she just does nothing for years except spew this blah crap. When was her last album, 2010? Put up or shut up. Having said that my oldest boy loves Courtney Love from that song on Captain Marvel. Watching the video he said ‘mummy do you love Courtney Love? I do’

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I wanna see Trent and Atticus in a heist movie as part of the group of robbers

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    ‘I’m gonna go make a withdrawal’

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    My GF and I were listening to Vessel and out of nowhere she spouted out “this is a toot song”. She ruined it for me, now I can’t hear anything but farts on the beat of the track. I’ve been listening to that song for almost 14 years.

toot song

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ha, when I first listened to that one all I could think was "This sounds like farts." Anytime I listen to YZ I think "Okay, maybe this time it will sounds less like farts, it has to."

I'm never proven right.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Someone once made a joke about The Collector being about collecting beanie babies and I can’t unsee Trent singing that song in a room full of beanie babies.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I forgot that this existed until today -

They sound so good and look great. Impressive energy for a Saturday morning.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muad'nin View Post

He's wearing the sunglasses to hide that he's actually still sleeping.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

What was it with the white shirt Trent was always wearing around this time? Was it a deliberate attempt to break with the past because it didn’t last long

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Oh man, I’ve been trying to find this forever! I remember the forum loving the white shirt look here, haha.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Oh man, I’ve been trying to find this forever! I remember the forum loving the white shirt look here, haha.
    Black / White shirt with khaki colored pants for the NIN | JA Tour too. Nine Inch Nails Live Archive: NIN, May 08, 2009, West Palm Beach, FL, Cruzan Amphitheater (ninlive.com)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I've known for a long time that the main "swooshing" sound in Sin is the word "stuff" from the classic "Ahhh, this stuff is really fresh!" sample from Fab 5 Freddy's Change the Beat. (It's one of the most sampled songs of all time, usually from the "ahhh" or "fresh" being scratched.) It was the first sample I ever spotted(?) with my own ears, back in elementary school, and the first time I ever geeked out about a sample.

But I had no idea until today that Sin samples other parts of it as well!! That alarm-esque sound in the breakdown is the "fresh", and the "ahhh" is sampled in the chorus! (The latter is really obvious in retrospect.) Those timestamps are also in the link, if anyone's curious.

I know a lot of y'all already know this, but I just think that's so damn cool and such a creative/genius use of one of the most popular samples of all time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TinDefacto View Post
    I've known for a long time that the main "swooshing" sound in Sin is the word "stuff" from the classic "Ahhh, this stuff is really fresh!" sample from Fab 5 Freddy's Change the Beat. (It's one of the most sampled songs of all time, usually from the "ahhh" or "fresh" being scratched.) It was the first sample I ever spotted(?) with my own ears, back in elementary school, and the first time I ever geeked out about a sample.

But I had no idea until today that Sin samples other parts of it as well!! That alarm-esque sound in the breakdown is the "fresh", and the "ahhh" is sampled in the chorus! (The latter is really obvious in retrospect.) Those timestamps are also in the link, if anyone's curious.

I know a lot of y'all already know this, but I just think that's so damn cool and such a creative/genius use of one of the most popular samples of all time.
    I don't know if you've seen this, but at about halfway into this video they look at the Emu Emax synth and a small bit it played in Sin. I also enjoy finding little secrets like this:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I had not seen that -- that's really cool!! And explains a lot I guess, haha. Thanks for sharing!!