Page 431 of 528 FirstFirst ... 331 381 421 429 430 431 432 433 441 481 ... LastLast
Results 12,901 to 12,930 of 15827

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by klyrish View Post
    I can't listen to 1,000,000 if it's not from the 2008 tours. It's incredible--particularly the Portland show's version. It's so energetic, so thick and well-layered, so hard-hitting. The changes made in 2009 onward really castrated the song and made it boring.
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    I disagree. 2009 version sounds just as good, especially with the new intro. What really made it boring is 2013 version when Robin started playing the main riff on keyboard.
    Agree with both of you actually ... honestly, I'm perfectly okay if that song gets dropped from the set all together from here on out.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nmitchell86 View Post
    Would love if nin did a "black ticket" like Metallica. I'd go to way more shows!

I'mjusayin' lots of people travel for shows and their band.
    I had to google what that black ticket thing is and apparently it’s about $600. I would pay that, no hesitation (for nin anyway). So far this year I bought tickets to 9 shows so it’s totally worth it.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by klyrish View Post
    I can't listen to 1,000,000 if it's not from the 2008 tours. It's incredible--particularly the Portland show's version. It's so energetic, so thick and well-layered, so hard-hitting. The changes made in 2009 onward really castrated the song and made it boring.
    agreed. ten times over.

that was the last show i attended and i feel so fortunate that we have such an outstanding archive of it.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    As amazing as the Lights in the Sky tour was, sometimes it's hard for me to watch a lot of that footage because of how almost destroyed Trent's voice was becoming. It was so deep and growlish that it even hurts my throat listening to it. It seemed like it only continued to be at a lower register too by the time of the 2009 gigs.

Seems like since he's not as bulked out either that his voice has returned to as normal as it can be and I think he sounds better now more than ever.
    He toured so much then (2+ years) his voice could’ve been worn out. I also have a theory that he’s taken some voice/singing lessons. His voice in 2014 versus 2009 was measurably better. I feel like he breathes differently now too. He doesn’t gasp for air as much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Ghosts 12 would be a perfect ending for piggy

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    He toured so much then (2+ years) his voice could’ve been worn out. I also have a theory that he’s taken some voice/singing lessons. His voice in 2014 versus 2009 was measurably better. I feel like he breathes differently now too. He doesn’t gasp for air as much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Perhaps he took advice from Lisa Fischer or Sharlotte Gibson?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    On the subject of vocals, if I had to choose a song where TR peaked, it's his amazing performance on 'Last'. Still gives the chills.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I would say WITT. That song is probably the best demonstration of Trent as a vocalist, both in terms of tonality and timbre, but also in terms of displaying emotional vulnerability in his singing. The standout performance of his career, in my opinion.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    I wish NIN would add dates in the Pacific Northwest to the tour. 3 nights at the Paramount in Seattle would be splendid!

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I disagree. 2009 version sounds just as good, especially with the new intro. What really made it boring is 2013 version when Robin started playing the main riff on keyboard.
    I did like that new intro and compared to 2013, 2009 is definitely better, but dropping down to a single guitar and having the other guitar part done by synth kills it for me. That four-chord progression that starts in the second chorus and then appears halfway through the bridge through the end of the song is my favorite part and is perfect in that Portland 2008 recording. That song needs at least 2 guitars imho. Preferably 3+ guitars.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    He has played the same songs very different between tours

I prefer closer from 1994-2000 or even now that the guitar versions from (2005-2009)
    Or the Amazing version of somewhat damaged from Fragility tour , the wite teeth version lost all is rage
    The same with 1,000,000 in 2008 -2009 tours
    I am not a big fan of RWIT live version but I think Robin can do a great job bringing Right where it belongs again (the normal version no the V.2)
    The only songs I really apreciate the different way were Sanctified with sunspots teaser and Only with the nice intro (2008), the versions from with teeth were nice too

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Someone should make some playlists of best live recordings showing the evolution of these songs. It would be cool to hear all the different takes on them from previous tours. I love the Fragile era Sin with the theremin.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    While we're on this topic, the fact that they are still forcing Ilan play piano part in March of the Pigs (despite having Allessandro and Atticus on stage) is a crime against humanity.
    The kick/crash hit at "doesn't it make you feel better" line is absolutely important and needs to be added back.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    While we're on this topic, the fact that they are still forcing Ilan play piano part in March of the Pigs (despite having Allessandro and Atticus on stage) is a crime against humanity.
    The kick/crash hit at "doesn't it make you feel better" line is absolutely important and needs to be added back.
    Who knows? Maybe he likes the challenge.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I like the chaos of Ilan having to race over to the piano to play it.

I listened to the Gift portion of Another Version of the Truth today, and I never noticed how shredded Trent's voice truly was. @thefragile_jake 's observation about his voice around that time feels spot-on - way deeper, way raspier, sometimes it completely lost all semblance of the note and just became a hoarse screech. It's interesting to contrast that with how clean the music itself sounds. But I definitely prefer his voice since 2013.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    This drum intro sound familiar to anyone else?
    Also, this song fucking rules. Especially the synths.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Most NIN tracks sound better with headphones. “Dear World,” is on a whole other level though. It sounds like a completely different track. Along with “The Lovers,” it’s one of the more intimate tracks that Trent has composed in quite some time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    Most NIN tracks sound better with headphones. “Dear World,” is on a whole other level though. It sounds like a completely different track. Along with “The Lovers,” it’s one of the more intimate tracks that Trent has composed in quite some time.

Yeah dude I listened to "Dear World" on headphones on a flight and it blew me away over some of the details I noticed especially considering that I have listened to that song hundreds of times prior to that experience.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Busting out Dear World this fall would be a nice surprise. One of those bleep/bloop/repetitive loopy Atticus style songs that is actually really, really good.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Hasn't been said in a little while, so I thought I'd just remind everyone. Woodstock '94, from the second Larry Bud Melman stops talking (:55 below) to roughly 5 and a half minutes later, is the greatest, most intense NIN intro, and possibly greatest intro any band has had, ever. From the first few moments of blackness & confusion, to when Pinion kicks in and then lurches slower and more and more evil, to when Trent finally emerges on his hands and knees covered in mud & then sarcastically jaunts toward the mic in his Jesus Christ pose...nothing can match it. Arriving like that, on that festival's stage, with the world's focus squarely on them that night of the weekend...made them so intriguing & dangerous.

And then look at this monster setlist:

Last edited by bobbie solo; 07-14-2018 at 02:22 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hi. maybe a dumb question, but... Don't some of you know about books with stories / themes / narratives similar to themes and stuff from NTAE AV BW trilogy? I kind of sink into that, but I am desperate to find things. Thank you for any help!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by karmachiale View Post
    Hi. maybe a dumb question, but... Don't some of you know about books with stories / themes / narratives similar to themes and stuff from NTAE AV BW trilogy? I kind of sink into that, but I am desperate to find things. Thank you for any help!
    What do you consider to be the themes of the trilogy? I ask because it's vague enough that you may have a different perspective than what others do. What kind of books are you looking for?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zecho View Post
    What do you consider to be the themes of the trilogy? I ask because it's vague enough that you may have a different perspective than what others do. What kind of books are you looking for?

Thank you for reply. I know field is pretty wide here and I don't want to give unnecessarily narrow explenation
    . Themes like achieving new perspective, our society's level, simulation, non-importance of things we see importance in, etc. I am actually openminded and interested in possible ways of interpreting of that question. unnecessarily narrow explanation

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    Busting out Dear World this fall would be a nice surprise. One of those bleep/bloop/repetitive loopy Atticus style songs that is actually really, really good.
    I would love to hear “Dear World,” live. It definitely wouldn’t come close to the studio version though. In that second verse you’d have to use two vocalists. Trent obviously for one, and one of Robin/Ilan/Atticus . . . Or Trent could just blow us away and use Gary Numan or Saul Williams.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    I would love to hear “Dear World,” live. It definitely wouldn’t come close to the studio version though. In that second verse you’d have to use two vocalists. Trent obviously for one, and one of Robin/Ilan/Atticus . . . Or Trent could just blow us away and use Gary Numan or Saul Williams.
    He’ll probably use a tape like he does on The Lovers for the second verse

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Did you know that the drum beats on Saul Williams' Convict Colony were performed by Dave Grohl? CX Kidtronik says so on his Instagram. I've added this info on the song's NINwiki page.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    Did you know that the drum beats on Saul Williams' Convict Colony were performed by Dave Grohl? CX Kidtronik says so on his Instagram. I've added this info on the song's NINwiki page.
    I fucking LOVE that Dave Grohl just pops up in NIN history from time to time and plays a direct role in making the music. I wonder if that was recorded for the album or a leftover recording from a previous session that was left on the cutting room floor.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Ha! Love that Homme dedicated a song to "THE Nine Inch Nails!" at tonight's Festival Mad Cool concert.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by karmachiale View Post
    Try Ursula Le Guin's The Lathe of Heaven, which TR himself referenced before Bleedthrough wasn't released.

I also really enjoyed Neal Stephenson's The Diamond Age when I read it a few years ago (Snow Crash is also great). This may not be quite what you're after.

Stepping even further out of the box, Iain M Banks' Use Of Weapons comes to mind.

There's another one that's interesting too but I can't quite remember it now. Edit: It's The Peripheral ​by William Gibson, which I would highly suggest checking out.

Basically, look at lists of the best sci-fi dystopian novels. You're sure to find something. The obvious ones are things like Fahrenheit 451, Lord of the Flies, 1984, stuff like that.
    Last edited by katara; 07-15-2018 at 02:25 PM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I'd quite like to see Trent's dance to The Lovers (when the dictaphone is playing) spliced with this: