Page 476 of 528 FirstFirst ... 376 426 466 474 475 476 477 478 486 526 ... LastLast
Results 14,251 to 14,280 of 15828

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Came across this on Archive.org: https://archive.org/details/Super_Ro...TV_WOC_1994-10
    It is a VHS tape recording of a television station which featured short clips with Reznor spread over the entire video. It also contains a recording of "down in it".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Detunez View Post
    Came across this on Archive.org: https://archive.org/details/Super_Ro...TV_WOC_1994-10
    It is a VHS tape recording of a television station which featured short clips with Reznor spread over the entire video. It also contains a recording of "down in it".
    Thank you for sharing this! I love it. It's even got commercials.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OSPF View Post
    Thank you for sharing this! I love it. It's even got commercials.
    my wife and i watch 80s & 90s commercials on youtube for fun (usually when we're having drinks) and it's so awesome. 80s commercial vault is the name of the youtube channel. if you're into that sort of thing!

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    All things considered, we could be worse off right now. We could be dealing with the Red Horse virus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Not to make light of the current situation, but Trent sheltering in place/quarantined with 5 kids might make for the angriest NIN album of all time.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    I've been diving into some of The Smashing Pumpkins' back catalogue and it is deep indeed. Billy Corgan's approach to releasing music is borderline insanity; everything including the kitchen sink, it seems... and that's *just* for Mellon Collie.
    By comparison, what we have for NIN pales. There have been no demos leaked besides some of the early material and the 'definitive' editions are incredibly lacklustre. No bonuses, no alternate takes, nothing. The three demos on The Downward Spiral 2004 reissue are nice, however, I feel like the second disc could have easily been the entire album in demo form.
    While I'm not sure I'd want 7-disc editions of each of NIN's albums, I do feel like a ton is being held back. Perhaps it's a nest egg for his kids when he's too old to tour. Trent's curation process has been selective so far, to say the least. He's quite picky about what he wants us to hear. I think that's ultimately a good thing.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    I've been diving into some of The Smashing Pumpkins' back catalogue and it is deep indeed. Billy Corgan's approach to releasing music is borderline insanity; everything including the kitchen sink, it seems... and that's *just* for Mellon Collie.
    By comparison, what we have for NIN pales. There have been no demos leaked besides some of the early material and the 'definitive' editions are incredibly lacklustre. No bonuses, no alternate takes, nothing. The three demos on The Downward Spiral 2004 reissue are nice, however, I feel like the second disc could have easily been the entire album in demo form.
    While I'm not sure I'd want 7-disc editions of each of NIN's albums, I do feel like a ton is being held back. Perhaps it's a nest egg for his kids when he's too old to tour. Trent's curation process has been selective so far, to say the least. He's quite picky about what he wants us to hear. I think that's ultimately a good thing.
    The whole Mellon Collie/Aeroplane Flies High era, the amount of material is insane. Plus loads of demos were leaked over the years from this period. The reissue boxsets are like a dozen discs of material. There's still plenty of material not included in these sets, just crazy.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    Speculation: if he wanted stuff that has remained private to be his kids' nest egg, he'd be releasing the stuff as it was available and investing everything so it'd be worth exponentially more when his kids grow up.

I feel like I've read in the past that he's just very particular about what he produces, and if he's not proud of something, he doesn't publish it. Given that I always felt that way as a visual artist, I would absolutely understand if that was all there is to it. Demos? Songs that were scrapped? If they weren't good enough for the album, they weren't good enough to see the light of day, period. But that's just a wild guess based on my own tendencies and what I vaguely remember reading about the way he works. And if so, good for him. I don't lose any respect for artists who release anything and everything, since they have fans who will appreciate it. But I completely respect artists who don't want to put out anything that they don't want to.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I completely agree with this read. TR has always struck me as a complete control freak; if it doesn't fit in with his narrative at the time, or what he's feeling currently, then it's staying in the vault. I'm ok with that. Not everything is for public consumption.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Yeah, as much as I would love to hear all the unused and alternate material, I think Trent knows what’s good enough for public consumption.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    What's the deal with this?
    https://i.imgur.com/t4n2WPg.jpg
    Someone sent it to me a while back, reverse image turns up no results.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Am I imagining things?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Am I imagining things?
    yes

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    *I've always appreciated and respected Star Wars since any time between 1992-1994 (As I really can't remember the exact year since I was only ages 6-9. My memories are kind of blurry.), I just haven't been into it for a very long time. This thought also arose from the Star Wars threads.*

As I was just getting back into Star Wars again, while being a Nine Inch Nails fan at the same time, I smiled at the thought of how great and awesome it must've been to be a fan of both during the prequel trilogy should you have thoroughly loved and enjoyed all 3 films, as The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith also came out on the same exact years that The Fragile, Still and With Teeth did.

Those must've been some great years.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Halo Infinity View Post
    *I've always appreciated and respected Star Wars since any time between 1992-1994 (As I really can't remember the exact year since I was only ages 6-9. My memories are kind of blurry.), I just haven't been into it for a very long time. This thought also arose from the Star Wars threads.*

As I was just getting back into Star Wars again, while being a Nine Inch Nails fan at the same time, I smiled at the thought of how great and awesome it must've been to be a fan of both during the prequel trilogy should you have thoroughly loved and enjoyed all 3 films, as The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith also came out on the same exact years that The Fragile, Still and With Teeth did.

Those must've been some great years.
    Yes, in those limited aspects, they were (I was between ages 13 and 18, so in just about every other department for me they were horrendous years). Not much of a Star Wars fan anymore, but those three records are still my favourite things NIN's ever done.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    I didn't even dare explore that eighteen-hour tape of OK Computer stuff.
    Oh man, you totally should.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    As a fan of the original Pumpkins and Elliott Smith, I can honestly say I'm not much of a fan of unreleased material. Because I'm such a huge fan of Nine Inch Nails, I've given the issue a lot of thought. And there's a big part of me that hopes he's got a pact with someone to burn the tapes in his vault upon his death. I kind of like having only deliberate, meticulous releases.

The Pumpkins archive is a goddamned disaster. After wading in a few feet, I just turned right back around and walked out. The demos of "Miss Misery" (an all-time favorite song) and "Pretty Mary Kay" they dredged up after Elliott Smith died seriously tainted the final versions of the songs for me for a while. I couldn't unhear them. I didn't even dare explore that eighteen-hour tape of OK Computer stuff.

That being said...Purest Feeling is amazing in its own right, didn't diminish Pretty Hate Machine, and the tracks that didn't make the record are delightful. Soooo....there's also a huge part of me that would kill to hear the chaff of The Downward Spiral.
    Dave Grohl said this in his piece about Trent winning the Oscar

I think we ended up recording 10 or 12 tracks. But the funny thing was... he would say, "OK, check this out, it's a rough idea, I'm not so sure about it, but take a listen..." and it would be the most incredible piece of music I'd ever heard. Fucking mind-blowing shit. His standards are so much higher than anyone else’s. He does not settle for or accept anything that isn't amazing. “

makes me think the vaults do contain some good stuff, I seem to recall Aaron North saying something similar about music lying around but I might be wrong

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Really?
    Yes if you wanna bury yourself in 47 versions of I Promise, 45 of which are identical live performances... Honestly, I think getting the bonus tape from OKNOTOK shoud be enough. The full leak is super redundant.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    As a fan of the original Pumpkins and Elliott Smith, I can honestly say I'm not much of a fan of unreleased material. Because I'm such a huge fan of Nine Inch Nails, I've given the issue a lot of thought. And there's a big part of me that hopes he's got a pact with someone to burn the tapes in his vault upon his death. I kind of like having only deliberate, meticulous releases.

The Pumpkins archive is a goddamned disaster. After wading in a few feet, I just turned right back around and walked out. The demos of "Miss Misery" (an all-time favorite song) and "Pretty Mary Kay" they dredged up after Elliott Smith died seriously tainted the final versions of the songs for me for a while. I couldn't unhear them. I didn't even dare explore that eighteen-hour tape of OK Computer stuff.

That being said...Purest Feeling is amazing in its own right, didn't diminish Pretty Hate Machine, and the tracks that didn't make the record are delightful. Soooo....there's also a huge part of me that would kill to hear the chaff of The Downward Spiral.
    I hear what you’re saying about demos ruining the songs; it just comes down to the artist, I guess. For example, almost all the rough mixes/demos/leaked unreleased Morrissey songs (and The Smiths) have almost all been mind-blowing. Same for Joy Division and Gary Numan, IMO.

Given Dave Grohl and Aaron North’s comments about TR’s level of perfection, I really don’t think we’d have much to worry about in terms of quality if he does eventually decide to let the floodgates open. He already has with Deviations, and I don’t think anyone was particularly disappointed with that. I mean, hearing that whispered delivery of the lines from the Heresy demo back in 2004 was damn spine-tingling. Imagine what else there is. I can only imagine the things Mariqueen’s ears have been blessed with hearing!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quality might not be the only factor, though. Some things may be deemed to personal or communicate things he feels embarrassed by now.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    15 years ago today NIN launched With Teeth tour!

And here's meathead's recollections of the event for your amusement:
    https://www.theninhotline.com/meatpers/html/mp050330.htm

Boy, I wish old ETS archives were still around to re-read some of the evens that were occurring at the time. (Or some good fiction).
    Last edited by fillow; 03-23-2020 at 11:40 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    Just came across these WT era shots: https://www.chapmanbaehler.com/nine-inch-nails
    Most of them were in magazines or floating around the web at the time, but there's a few I'd never seen before.
    not gonna lie, i had my hair cut like that for a while because i wanted to look like hot emo trent ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Guessing the Ghosts release is the secret he was going to let loose at the cancelled Watchmen talk for SXSW.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Service Provider: Oh yes Mr. Reznor, we'll be able to handle whatever load your fans give us. Everything will be quick, no one should notice a delay in processing it...

Trent: hahahahahahahahhahahahahh...

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Is anyone planning an online listening party for Ghosts I-VI?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    God damn it, I want some proper companion remix albums ala Further Down the Spiral and Things Falling Apart again. I really miss those.

Albums and various singles around those times also gave us plenty to chew on when it came to outtakes, extended versions and cover songs. Not sure if Trent and company were thinking of doing a studio recorded cover of Joy Divison's "Digital", but it would find a good home on a remix album that could follow whatever they have it store for the next NIN LP.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    God damn it, I want some proper companion remix albums ala Further Down the Spiral and Things Falling Apart again. I really miss those.

Albums and various singles around those times also gave us plenty to chew on when it came to outtakes, extended versions and cover songs. Not sure if Trent and company were thinking of doing a studio recorded cover of Joy Divison's "Digital", but it would find a good home on a remix album that could follow whatever they have it store for the next NIN LP.

I agree. I believe(d) they still have time to do this with the Trilogy's work. And i'm patiently waiting for that still..... Then again now that I think about it, it seems like that the new Ghosts might have closed up that window of opportunity for any type of new Trilogy Remix album now. Seems more like they have moved on to the next thing I guess...

I was also thinking this time we're in now would be a perfect time to release that Cold And Black And Infinite Live Blu-ray/4K that we all desperately want. Man that would be so awesome right now!

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    I feel like the days of NIN remix albums/EPs are over, and we'll continue to just get a random smattering of stuff here and there.
    As for a 2018 live Blu-ray, I noticed that in some fan-shot footage from then, I could see someone onstage filming (and not during songs that we already got official videos for.) Not holding my breath that we'll get something, but it would be AMAZEBALLS if we did.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    I feel like the days of NIN remix albums/EPs are over, and we'll continue to just get a random smattering of stuff here and there.
    As much as I'd love to hold out hope—I'm inclined to agree. I guess YearZeroRemixed was the last actual true proper remix album with it's own "Halo" release that wasn't incorrectly marketed as a remix EP (ala the Every Day is Exactly the Same single), included within a bonus disc as it was for Hesitation Marks or just a one-off "Seeds" release like Remix 2014.

I think I'm just a fan of each era having it's own little collection of releases besides just the LP.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    As much as I'd love to hold out hope—I'm inclined to agree. I guess YearZeroRemixed was the last actual true proper remix album with it's own "Halo" release that wasn't incorrectly marketed as a remix EP (ala the Every Day is Exactly the Same single), included within a bonus disc as it was for Hesitation Marks or just a one-off "Seeds" release like Remix 2014.

I think I'm just a fan of each era having it's own little collection of releases besides just the LP.
    Remix albums are tied to the CD era, their occasional birth now is only because the artist or label really wants it, for various reasons. Or the artist wants to get out of a contract as quick as possible (see : MGMT).