Page 481 of 528 FirstFirst ... 381 431 471 479 480 481 482 483 491 ... LastLast
Results 14,401 to 14,430 of 15828

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    I know Trent has mentioned before that both Satellite and Everything were originally supposed to be "new tracks" for an Interscope curated "Greatest Hits" album ... but I wonder why that compilation just never came into fruition? It's not like they'd be "lol, it's cool. keep those tracks for yourself once you join another label"—right? You'd think if they were going to be creating a compilation, they'd just go ahead and release one? Wonder what happened to that.

I think about this a lot because I would've loved to have owned "Deep" in a physical format besides having to own the Tomb Raider soundtrack.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thefragile_jake View Post
    I know Trent has mentioned before that both Satellite and Everything were originally supposed to be "new tracks" for an Interscope curated "Greatest Hits" album ... but I wonder why that compilation just never came into fruition? It's not like they'd be "lol, it's cool. keep those tracks for yourself once you join another label"—right? You'd think if they were going to be creating a compilation, they'd just go ahead and release one? Wonder what happened to that.
    I'm guessing Trent never actually handed those tracks over to Interscope, so he was free to do with them as he pleased. Also, my understanding is that Trent wants (or wanted?) to be involved with creating the greatest hits album so that it's not just a randomly thrown together mix of already available material. Greatest hits albums seem kind of antiquated now that everyone can just make their own versions at home, so I'm not surprised that we haven't seen one yet.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    I'm guessing Trent never actually handed those tracks over to Interscope, so he was free to do with them as he pleased. Also, my understanding is that Trent wants (or wanted?) to be involved with creating the greatest hits album so that it's not just a randomly thrown together mix of already available material. Greatest hits albums seem kind of antiquated now that everyone can just make their own versions at home, so I'm not surprised that we haven't seen one yet.
    Totally. Even by 2012/2013 - greatest hits release wouldn’t have been necessary but even more so now in 2020.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)

I think about this a lot because I would've loved to have owned "Deep" in a physical format besides having to own the Tomb Raider soundtrack.
    I've also wondered about why it hasn't happened yet. It would also be an opportunity to compile some music videos onto a DVD as part of a deluxe package. I really thought that they'd jump on it last year for the 30th anniversary of the band.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Back in the day, this promo CD was sitting in the dollar bin begging to be rescued. I had to oblige.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FULLMETAL View Post
    Back in the day, this promo CD was sitting in the dollar bin begging to be rescued. I had to oblige.
    I see that on Discogs from time to time! Nice grab.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Sorry to hear you're going through such a rough patch. I actually have a similar experience. Last year, my 12 year relationship came to an end and it was only by listening to NIN during quarantine that I found such a strong connection with the albums, especially PHM and TDS. I saw all my anger, bitterness, self-hatred, and depression reflected in those albums. So, NIN has been a huge comfort during this time.

I hope things start looking up for you soon.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    The Definitive Edition reissues must have been a carrot dangled to renegotiate their Interscope contract, and perhaps releasing Deviations 1 got them out of the Greatest-Hits clause... that said, once they've remastered Year Zero, they could do a 1989-2007 complete albums collection with Tom Baker's mastering and put it on streaming sites.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    Do you think Trent is a Turtles fan?

I wonder that myself, since i'm also a huge TMNT fan, but i don't think so...

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    sorry to spoil the fun honestly don't know if you were joking, but the manhattan project was a real thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhat...0and%20Canada.

The Manhattan Project was a research and development undertaking during World War II that produced the first nuclear weapons. It was led by the United States with the support of the United Kingdom and Canada.
    it is also the name of a movie from the 80s where a teenager builds an atomic bomb for a science fair.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I know virtually nothing about TMNT
    Well, they're humanoid turtles and well versed in the martial arts. They love pizza, and eat in constantly because their boss is the rat from Chuck E Cheese.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    I was kidding around. I know virtually nothing about TMNT; just came across the game and thought it was amusing enough to share.
    Damn good NES game.

Plus, I'm also a TMNT fanatic as well. Cowabunga.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    There should be a NIN show made exclusively for Youtube because there won't be a tour this year.

You can even just have Trent with a Piano by himself really.
    Last edited by nooneimportant; 07-08-2020 at 06:03 AM.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nooneimportant View Post
    There should be a NIN show made exclusively for Youtube because there won't be a tour this year.

He could always do what Gary Numan is doing later this year with a drive-in concert in cars (seriously).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    God no. I'd rather see a livestream performance than a freaking drive-in concert.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Considering its unique part in the history of the NIN discography, do you think the live album of And All That Could Have Been would ever get a vinyl pressing or does that seem like a time in Trent's life he's not all that interested in going back to? Creating The Fragile was one thing ... touring for it was another thing all together. It holds a special place in my heart as being the actual new "release" to drop after becoming a super fan about a year and a half later.

We're about three years removed from Trent was asked about Still on vinyl, so who knows with that one ... but I'd welcome an AATCHB pressing in a heartbeat.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)

I'd be all for this, or something along the lines of the rehearsal performances they filmed for With Teeth and The Slip, but at the same time, I would be fine if this whole situation marked the end of touring for NIN altogether..

Trent and Atticus will both be pushing 60 by the time it's safe to tour again, and I would never expect a nearly-60 year old man with 5 kids to go out and destroy himself night after night the way he's done on past tours. That's not even taking into account the whole safety issue that's now a primary concern. If the 2018 CABAI shows were the last we ever get, that would be an incredible high note to go out on. I didn't think he could match the energy he brought to the 2009 Wave Goodbye shows, but he proved everyone wrong nearly a decade later. I'd be perfectly happy if that was it, as far as touring is concerned..

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    ^^
    I would argue that the only song that qualifies as "Trent destroying himself" is March of the Pigs, and it isn't even played every night anymore. It's not Self Destruct or Fragility era anymore, so he wouldn't be jumping like madman and rolling on the floor even for some of most aggressive songs apart from MOTP (like Mr Self Destruct or HIS). It's Robin who does most of the running on stage anyway. TR is also in much better form comparing to many of his contemporaries like Al or Manson.

What I'm saying is I don't see Trent retiring from performing live anytime soon. Even if he puts this version of the band down let's say 5 years from now, he'll still come back to scratch that touring itch with some quiet or electronic sets / scores/HTDA/whatever. This is what I believe and you can't change my mind.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    I would argue that the only song that qualifies as "Trent destroying himself" is March of the Pigs, and it isn't even played every night anymore.
    And as much of a beloved song as that is, I'm 100% okay if MOTP gets the kind of Closer retirement treatment.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    Trent and Atticus will both be pushing 60 by the time it's safe to tour again
    Right? Let's just push them off to the old-folks home and be done with those geezers. (N.B. Atticus is 52 this year.)

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    I really want to meet TR someday, look at him and just say “Cocksucking chicken wing. Explain.”

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    I'd be all for this, or something along the lines of the rehearsal performances they filmed for With Teeth and The Slip, but at the same time, I would be fine if this whole situation marked the end of touring for NIN altogether..

Trent and Atticus will both be pushing 60 by the time it's safe to tour again, and I would never expect a nearly-60 year old man with 5 kids to go out and destroy himself night after night the way he's done on past tours. That's not even taking into account the whole safety issue that's now a primary concern. If the 2018 CABAI shows were the last we ever get, that would be an incredible high note to go out on. I didn't think he could match the energy he brought to the 2009 Wave Goodbye shows, but he proved everyone wrong nearly a decade later. I'd be perfectly happy if that was it, as far as touring is concerned..
    I've seen The Residents perform live twice and they had members who were nearing 70 years old at the time. They still killed it. It doesn't matter what age you are, if you can still go then you can still go.
    Last edited by nooneimportant; 07-10-2020 at 06:25 AM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I've seen The Residents perform live twice and they had members who were nearing 70 years old at the time. They still killed it. It doesn't matter what age you are, if you can still go then you can still go.
    Paul McCartney regularly plays Helter Skelter live and blows the roof off the venue. He turned 78 this year.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Together may be one of the best ambient albums I have ever heard.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    The thing that matters to me when it comes to Trent continuing to tour is that he wants to do it. Though he doesn't perform as insane and intensely as he did back in the 90s, you can still feel and see that passion he has for performing. That's what struck me when I first saw NIN in 2018. Not only does Trent still sound great, you can see how he's just feeling the performance with his little dances and what not. And I'm all for that. The moment it stops being fun or it's too difficult for him to tour, that's when he should stop. As long as he's still enjoying it, bring it on.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HWB View Post
    Together may be one of the best ambient albums I have ever heard.
    Same for Locusts but for Dark Ambient.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    So when Deviations was announced it was in the middle of the vinyl resurgence and physical components and for $80 everyone was really excited because for that price point everyone was itching to see what else was going to be included in the package that Trent wasn't telling us. Ended up being 4 records in cereal box cardboard. It came damaged (shock) and I had to get a new jacket shipped to me. I ended up selling it a week later for $75 (i didn't have a turntable at the time).

Anyways I wanted it again so I bought it sealed on discogs for $55 shipped, it's what it should be priced on the site but i'm really excited to listen to it again.
    Last edited by tony.parente; 07-15-2020 at 11:08 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    So when Deviations was announced it was in the middle of the vinyl resurgence and physical components and for $80 everyone was really excited because for that price point everyone was itching to see what else was going to be included in the package that Trent wasn't telling us. Ended up being 4 records in cereal box cardboard. It came damaged (shock) and I had to get a new jacket shipped to me. I ended up selling it a week later for $75 (i didn't have a turntable at the time).

Anyways I wanted it again so I bought it sealed on discogs for $55 shipped, it's what it should be priced on the site but i'm really excited to listen to it again.
    believe me, we were all disappointed in the physical package, but the music honestly made up for it. it's so good.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    You know, given how meticulous TR has always been with packaging, why do we think he gave Deviations such shitty packaging treatment?

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    believe me, we were all disappointed in the physical package, but the music honestly made up for it. it's so good.
    I'm happy i'm getting it for what it's worth, i'm not getting ripped off this time and my heart is warm haha