Page 444 of 528 FirstFirst ... 344 394 434 442 443 444 445 446 454 494 ... LastLast
Results 13,291 to 13,320 of 15828

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    U guys r nuts. Down In It is where it's at! Period.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dedevoce View Post
    I think there will be a new studio album in the first quarter of 2019.
    I don't know why I didn't think of saying this sooner. Anyway, I'm going to ballpark it around 2020 being the earliest and 2023 being the latest at this rate, just based on previous experience and overall happenings.

I sometimes forget how lucky and spoiled we've been from 2005-2018. Perhaps it's also the Internet being very synonymous with instant gratification, but with that many releases, including the the releases outside of NIN, would be something I'm sure fans would've killed for between The Downward Spiral, The Fragile and With Teeth.

I was just thinking about this again, because Not The Actual Events only came out 3 years after Hesitation Marks, and then Add Violence and Bad Witch coming out just year by year afterwards. I sometimes had to stop for a moment and just take that in, which makes me very grateful. It also occurred to me that my question about NIN coming out with other EPs was also answered, and liked how they can hold up to Broken and Still in terms of storylines and aesthetics.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Seeing Trent take down the exit sign and seeing him get carried off like that is still one of the my most favorite and overall satisfying highlights from Closure.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Right where it belongs > Right where it belongs v2
    Something I can never have (still)> Something I can never have (album version)

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Video game music composer Akira Yamaoka (Silent Hill) has said that Trent is his "main inspiration". I just found out about that and was pleasantly surprised. http://www.musicjapanplus.jp/special...y-fest/page/2/

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    Video game music composer Akira Yamaoka (Silent Hill) has said that Trent is his "main inspiration". I just found out about that and was pleasantly surprised. http://www.musicjapanplus.jp/special...y-fest/page/2/
    Akira’s the coolest! The Silent Hill soundtracks and Trent’s music totally occupy the same space musically. Love to see TR work on some Silent Hill-related project someday.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I can't be the first to notice this, but the "tick" synth intro to "Somewhat Damaged" sounds almost exactly like the "tick" synth in "Now I'm Nothing" with it slightly slowed down in "Now I'm Nothing."

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    Trent working on Silent Hills with Akira Yamaoka would have been my idea of gaming heaven. Still so sad Silent Hills never came to be

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I gave Hesitation Marks a spin the other day and I really enjoyed Everything.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by klyrish View Post
    I can't be the first to notice this, but the "tick" synth intro to "Somewhat Damaged" sounds almost exactly like the "tick" synth in "Now I'm Nothing" with it slightly slowed down in "Now I'm Nothing."
    Holy shit you're right.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nooneimportant View Post
    Holy shit you're right.

The 2018 version of "Now I'm Nothing" sounds...spruced up. But if you compare the "tick" synth in 2009 "Now I'm Nothing" to the reworked "Somewhat Damaged," the two sound, for all intents and purposes, identical.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

The 2018 version of "Now I'm Nothing" sounds...spruced up. But if you compare the "tick" synth in 2009 "Now I'm Nothing" to the reworked "Somewhat Damaged," the two sound, for all intents and purposes, identical.
    I'm pretty sure they are. I always thought was identical. That kind of recycling has never really been out of the question for NIN. Think 38 Ghosts IV/Demon Seed, The Good Soldier/Reptile (the one with Peter Murphy), or the TDS Mellotron in 10 Miles High.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Listened to purest feeling on repeat a lot lately. This song is one I enjoy, and dont ever get tired of. Hot sax!

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    I'm pretty sure they are. I always thought was identical. That kind of recycling has never really been out of the question for NIN. Think 38 Ghosts IV/Demon Seed, The Good Soldier/Reptile (the one with Peter Murphy), or the TDS Mellotron in 10 Miles High.
    Absolutely! That's one of the many things I love so much about NIN: lyrical and musical motif references throughout and across albums. It makes it feel even more like everything is connected.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    Reptile synths in A Minute To Breathe.
    A part of me thinks A Minute To Breathe would work with the trilogy theme. It seems fitting with Burning Bright.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    A part of me thinks A Minute To Breathe would work with the trilogy theme. It seems fitting with Burning Bright.
    I wonder if they'd ever do that live... Probably not, but maybe if they ever tour their score work in some capacity (perhaps mixed with Ghosts or Still music?). That'd be awesome.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TinDefacto View Post
    I wonder if they'd ever do that live... Probably not, but maybe if they ever tour their score work in some capacity (perhaps mixed with Ghosts or Still music?). That'd be awesome.
    I feel like A Minute to Breathe has to be the most likely of all the score stuff to get played live at this point.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmcfly View Post
    I feel like A Minute to Breathe has to be the most likely of all the score stuff to get played live at this point.
    Hmm, I could potentially see that... who would have seen "What If We Could?" coming though? I also think perhaps the vocals on "A Minute To Breathe" might be too difficult to pull off live, but then, they've been doing "This Isn't The Place" without a hitch, so who knows. They were all "This is NOT a NIN song" when it was released though, so maybe they want it to keep its distance for the time being.

Whatever the case, I'm gonna hold my breath (tee-hee), but it would be cool if that happened eventually.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TinDefacto View Post
    They were all "This is NOT a NIN song" when it was released though, so maybe they want it to keep its distance for the time being.
    I always took that as a way of them letting fans know at the time that the promised "new nin" was still coming and not distancing themselves from the track.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I don't see NIN doing any more score stuff onstage, but TR&AR may do a 'solo tour' with other musicians, kinda like those Hans Zimmer gigs with the live orchestra scoring scenes from all the films he's done.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
    I always took that as a way of them letting fans know at the time that the promised "new nin" was still coming and not distancing themselves from the track.
    Right, sorry; I didn't mean it like that! I just meant that maybe they were trying to keep NIN and their score stuff separate, but you're right in that maybe they just meant that this wasn't the NIN that was coming.

Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I don't see NIN doing any more score stuff onstage, but TR&AR may do a 'solo tour' with other musicians, kinda like those Hans Zimmer gigs with the live orchestra scoring scenes from all the films he's done.
    Yeah, that's more along the lines of what I was thinking. I really hope they do something like that at some point, even many years from now; that'd be amazing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Anybody hear of a NIN cover band called Sin? They're playing on Long Island tomorrow and thinking of checking them out.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Absolutely! That's one of the many things I love so much about NIN: lyrical and musical motif references throughout and across albums. It makes it feel even more like everything is connected.
    Agree completely. I get the feeling that Trent has been digging into Frank Zappa's "conceptual continuity." Especially in regards to the lyrics of the Trilogy.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Robin's guitar work on the live version of Less Than is amazing. I just feel like the synths are drowned out live. I'd love to hear a studio version with the inclusion of the extra guitar riff

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3killa View Post
    Robin's guitar work on the live version of Less Than is amazing. I just feel like the synths are drowned out live. I'd love to hear a studio version with the inclusion of the extra guitar riff
    It's in there! Barely, though.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmcfly View Post
    With the sax hopefully !

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinpicasso View Post
    It's in there! Barely, though.
    I did notice it in there at times, kind of drowned out and quiet. I love that they really maximize the potential of it live though! I wish I had some multi tracks so I could just mix it myself

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Holy shit, I recently tagged teitan on Oct. 11th and posted how amazing it would be to see/hear And All The Could Have Been live and also gave Hand Covers Bruise into Beside You In Time a mention...

But boom! And All That Could Have Been is played! Love you @teitan
    Last edited by neorev; 10-27-2018 at 08:39 PM.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I've been watching Kinda I Want To, That's What I Get and Ringfinger over and over from time to time, and just hoped that they somehow make it onto the setlists again, or if there ever will be a chance for a Pretty Hate Machine show, especially/considering now that The Downward Spiral and Broken were performed in their entirety.

(Along with songs like Happiness In Slavery, The Perfect Drug, And All That Could Have Been and All The Love In The World being performed.)

I still can't get enough of them, and have always wondered how they'd end up live these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Reaps View Post
    Never understood why you folks use acronyms anywhoo, what.. you lot about to board a train and need to shortcut a post?? The Whole Wide World Went Away gets a pass though..
    I almost forgot to bring this point up, since it has to do with not using acronyms. In a way, typing it all out also makes for better search results on Google as well, so there's also no mistake of what a NIN would be, should somebody look up NIN and end up here.

But I still totally understand sometimes, as some titles are just too long, but I still see your point to as I often type out the full names, yet also still go back to some acronyms here and there depending on the post/thread.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 10-27-2018 at 10:27 PM.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    I was listening to NIN tonight on shuffle on iTunes and it played "We're In This Together" followed by "The Background World". It transitioned perfectly. Very cool.