Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Mudstock 1994 (Full Length Documentary)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Mudstock 1994 (Full Length Documentary)

I edited a fan-made documentary about the performance at the 1994 Woodstock festival composed of television broadcasts, videos recorded by the band themselves backstage and the first four songs of the set. The video seeks to reflect what I feel the youth and musical culture was like thirty years ago at the festival and the anticipation for NIN's performance that has been fascinating to me since I first watched it in YouTube about a decade ago (I wasnt' even born in '94).

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Did you include the recently-surfaced backstage footage of evidence that the mud was pre-arranged?

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    Did you include the recently-surfaced backstage footage of evidence that the mud was pre-arranged?
    yes, it's included.

i think that this pre-planned mud thing is getting blown out of proportion a little bit (not in the doco, but just how the ninternet responded to that vid). i don't think trent had that plan in his head until james went out and filmed all those mud people earlier on the day of the show. that's how i see it anyway

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    i think that this pre-planned mud thing is getting blown out of proportion a little bit (not in the doco, but just how the ninternet responded to that vid). i don't think trent had that plan in his head until james went out and filmed all those mud people earlier on the day of the show. that's how i see it anyway
    Yes, I agree.

The band on that tour already had the ritual of dirtying their clothes and body with cornstarch before going on stage at each concert, but in this case the footage seems to imply that after walking the festival and moving among the people they saw that dirty, anarchic and chaotic side of Woodstock '94 that somewhat fit with what NIN represented in an event that had otherwise become overly commercialized. They seem to have just exchanged one kind of dirt for another that day to, as the MTV interviewer said, "look like the people".

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Yes, the MTV debrief is telling because "there was a little accident" makes Danny and Chris crack up.

Brilliant video, man, I liked how you put a little CRT filter on all the different footage.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I liked how you put a little CRT filter on all the different footage.
    It matches the aesthetic of the time but also helps to hide the different video quality of the multiple video sources used and makes it feel more cohesive.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Would you consider uploading the rest of the set (after SICNH) with the same treatment?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Would you consider uploading the rest of the set (after SICNH) with the same treatment?
    Do you mean just the concert edited that way or a version of the documentary that included the entire performance?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I just wanted to echo the compliments of others: Great job putting this together and thank you for sharing it. I planned on just watching a clip, but, had to watch the whole thing. Just an amazing time-capsule that brought back a bunch of great memories for me. I did not atttend, but, got to watch it live via PPV (using an illicit cable box, but, that's a story for another time). That performance meant so much. I remember recording it, then hooking up my VCR to my stereo system to record the audio back in 1994. I went out and purchased the high-end metal Maxell cassette tapes back then to use as my "masters" (they came in a dark grey casing and were heavy to ensure durability). I then would just record the concert onto basic blank tapes, wear them out, and repeat the process until I found a bootleg CD version a few years later. It's funny that Trent initially thought they played horribly considering how amazing the show was. Yeah, there were crazy instances where the keyboard would just squeal (e.g., during Sin), but, that raw energy added to the controlled chaos, and power, of the show IMO.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mauro995 View Post
    Do you mean just the concert edited that way or a version of the documentary that included the entire performance?
    Only the songs after SICNH with the same colour treatment, just as a bonus feature I guess...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Only the songs after SICNH with the same colour treatment, just as a bonus feature I guess...
    I went the other way, but here you can see the full concert with the filter