Page 468 of 527 FirstFirst ... 368 418 458 466 467 468 469 470 478 518 ... LastLast
Results 14,011 to 14,040 of 15809

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    Listening to PHM while doing housework, the whole of this portion: “how can you turn me into this, when you just taught me how to kiss you? I told you I’d never say goodbye. Now I’m slipping on the tears you’ve made me cry.” always seems to get a lot of flack because of the lame/cheesy lyrics.
    It's mainly "Now I'm slipping on the tears you've made me cry" that comes across as cheesy to me. The imagery it conjures up makes me chuckle every time. (Just imagine our boy Trent slipping on puddles of tears like banana peels and you'll see what I mean.) It's why I laugh anytime someone complains about Trent's lyrics in more recent songs. He's written cheesy lyrics since the beginning. I've said it before, but with a few exceptions, I don't think Trent has ever been a great lyricist. It's always been more about the ideas and emotions behind his songs than any sort of lyrical poetry, which, combined with the music, is what makes his lyrics effective.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    It's mainly "Now I'm slipping on the tears you've made me cry" that comes across as cheesy to me. The imagery it conjures up makes me chuckle every time. (Just imagine our boy Trent slipping on puddles of tears like banana peels and you'll see what I mean.) It's why I laugh anytime someone complains about Trent's lyrics in more recent songs. He's written cheesy lyrics since the beginning. I've said it before, but with a few exceptions, I don't think Trent has ever been a great lyricist. It's always been more about the ideas and emotions behind his songs than any sort of lyrical poetry, which, combined with the music, is what makes his lyrics effective.
    the deeper it comes from, the better it is, e.g. TDTWWA

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    When I was 17 and broken-hearted in 1995, this song and the whole album felt like a masterpiece.

Our assessment of the quality of a work of art probably says more about who we are than about the quality of the art itself. In 2019 does that song make me feel much? No, not so much anymore. But looking around and seeing the world and hearing someone say, "there is no future point in time, we will not get away" speaks to me a whole lot more. Hearing "This isn't the place" and thinking about the loss of a hero or loved one really hits home for me now.

I don't think Pretty Hate Machine is any less good than I thought it was, and I don't think I was wrong about it. I think it is perfect for what it was in the time that it was.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    A collection of abandoned and unreleased videos, leftover tracks, and whatever else called "The Failed & Forgotten".

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post

I don't think Pretty Hate Machine is any less good than I thought it was, and I don't think I was wrong about it. I think it is perfect for what it was in the time that it was.
    I remember being curled up next to my cd/ tape player in 1991 listening to my sister's boyfriend's copied tape of PHM. It was unlike anything I had heard. I listened to that damn tape so much my sister gave up trying to get it back.

I remember getting Broken on cd about a year later. It was a full departure, but Happiness In Slavery was a masterpiece to me. That song, Physical and Suck were my favorites.
    What remains my favorite album is TDS. I've always felt that the level of sophistication, the layering, everything about that album just flooded into my teenage veins like something else.
    Looking back, I probably listen to more songs from the Fragile than I do TDS. I don't always listen to full albums (heresy, I know). I adore With Teeth and Year Zero as strong albums with songs that resonate with life as I've gotten older. I think the Slip had some good songs, but maybe Add Violence and NTAE outdid Hesitation Marks (sorry, no love for Bad Witch here).

So I throw out the notion, my sample n=1 that the first NIN album you listen will always be your favorite. TDS will always be my favorite; I think conceptually and musically, it will always be my favorite, but there are days/weeks where I deep dive into The Fragile, With Teeth, and Year Zero.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    it's weird to me to think about how much the 21st of september means to me. every one of these events drastically changed my life.

1999 - the fragile
    2004 - suicide attempt
    2014 - wedding

looking forward to celebrating all of these things (the failure of the second one, obviously) next weekend.
    gosh, i can't even believe i forgot that i also put out my first album on the 21st in 2009! every five years something really important happens on that date. hope it's something good this year.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Happy 30th to Down In It (and by extension NIN itself)

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Sang along "Rain, rain, go away, come again some other day" and rain went away!

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    I don't know if it's because of when the album came out and when I first gave it such heavy rotation, but damnit if Hesitation Marks isn't just a perfect "fall weather" album. I'm one pair of tits away from being the epitome of a "basic white girl" when autumn rolls around, and this disc feels as fall-y to me as cooler air, changing leaves, and all the other good shit that comes with summer finally fucking off.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    I don't know if it's because of when the album came out and when I first gave it such heavy rotation, but damnit if Hesitation Marks isn't just a perfect "fall weather" album. I'm one pair of tits away from being the epitome of a "basic white girl" when autumn rolls around, and this disc feels as fall-y to me as cooler air, changing leaves, and all the other good shit that comes with summer finally fucking off.
    honey, you can be a basic bitch even if you aren't a girl

the fragile is a perfect fall album to me, and it's probably because of when it was released coupled with all the emotions i associate both with the album and with the season.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I was just about to turn 13 when The Fragile came out, so it marks a very particular moment of adolescent loneliness and escapism for me... it so happens I was more than double that age when Hesitation Marks dropped, so there's a very broad gulf between them, as far my experiential impressions go. Both are great albums, but something about The Fragile and the whole mood/vibe of NIN in that era is what imprinted on me strongest of all.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Ghosts is my go-to fall/winter album. It really has a way of tapping into how I feel during the changing of the seasons.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    One year ago tonight they played TPD live for the first time, so I went back and watched my clip of the beginning and got that massive like adrenalin/serotonin and goosebumps. I still can't believe that fucking happened.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    One year ago tonight they played TPD live for the first time, so I went back and watched my clip of the beginning and got that massive like adrenalin/serotonin and goosebumps. I still can't believe that fucking happened.
    Felt that was when they played AATCHB, I know where your coming from.

edit: I just wanted to add that I get that rush of adrenalin when I listen to any tape I've made from a show I've been to, nin moreso than other bands. Especially my 2013 tape with how Copy of A would build up, I can close my eyes and I'm back in the transporter room again.
    Last edited by SM Rollinger; 09-18-2019 at 11:14 PM.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    20 years ago tomorrow...The Fragile came out

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Naaah, naaaah, naaah nah... naaaah naah naah naaah naaaah... We're in this together now; the day the whole world went away; incorporated! (thank you goodnight! *Kiss crowd cheering noises*)

Where is everybody?!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Wanted to listen to Suck on YT. Had to type in 'NIN Suck' to get it. Felt wrong for typing it.

Probably happened a million times already, so....

Anyway, ended up watching Woodstock.....is Danny playing the keyboards at the start of SICNH or miming...?
    Last edited by simonn; 09-20-2019 at 09:19 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Still fascinated by how hard hitting the entire Trilogy is.

I am starting to feel the nostagia when 2016 was nearing its end and most of us didn't believe new NIN would come out, people were joking around about it and then bam, suddenly NTAE was announced basically out of the blue, I remember NIN website becoming just the NIN logo, suddenly coming back, re-designed, with an announcement of the new EP which will apparently be gritty, went as far to mention it won't sound like anything like Hesitation Marks.

The two or one week wait felt like an eternity, I was so goddamn excited, I remember that when I got the email to Burning Bright and the entire EP (since I pre-ordered), I was in my class and I just wanted to go home, I didn't even have any earphones at the time. First thing I did home was to instantly download the EP, I didn't even bother to change my clothes, I was blown away instantly when Branches/Bones' chorus came on. It's probably my most listened to NIN release since it was the first one I got to witness being released. It still blows me away at how hard hitting it is. It's so dirty, visceral, manic, loud, dissosant, it was everything I wanted the new NIN release to be and I got much more.

Sorry if this out of the blue, I am just incredibly happy with these releases, NTAE is kind of close to my heart, evne though I think I may love Bad Witch even more.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    I’ve noticed a common thread between NIN fans is obsessive-compulsive behaviour. Trent is very much like this with order and keeping things tidy with the halo and sigil systems. I’m quite fond of how that particular quirk connects us (in just one of many ways).

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    God, nothing like a NIN dream. I'm sure we all get dreams where we go to see our favourite bands, but there's no-one there, and the performance space is tiny, and Trent seems really really drunk - or is it an act? - and Trent comes into the crowd (about fifteen of you) and he personally recognises you? I'm sure everyone gets those.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    So like once a month I am wearing a NIN tshirt and some stranger comes up and is like, “oh man! Nine inch nails! I haven’t seen a NIN t-shirt in years!” And I’m like, “oh man, you listen to them to?” “No, but I did back in the day. Best concert of my life.” And I proceed to tell them that their new stuff is just as good if not better than what they were doing in the nineties and they are surprised and probably go about their business without ever listening to them again.

Makes me sad. I think we live in a stupid time. NIN isn’t some legacy act like Rolling Stones or Metallica whose best days are behind them. Trent is still making super innovative and relatable music and just not getting the recognition anymore because they world has terrible taste. I don’t need someone else’s approval to like what I like, but as an artist myself I want to see great artists get the proper recognition.

Ageism, blah blah blah, get off my lawn...
    Last edited by Max; 09-30-2019 at 11:48 AM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    So like once a month I am wearing a NIN tshirt and some stranger comes up and is like, “oh man! Nine inch nails! I haven’t seen a NIN t-shirt in years!” And I’m like, “oh man, you listen to them to?” “No, but I did back in the day. Best concert of my life.” And I proceed to tell them that their new stuff is just as good if not better than what they were doing in the nineties and they are surprised and probably go about their business without ever listening to them again.

Makes me sad. I think we live in a stupid time. NIN isn’t some legacy act like Rolling Stones or Metallica whose best days are behind them. Trent is still making super innovative and real entertainment music and just not getting the recognition anymore because they world has terrible taste. I don’t need someone else’s approval to like what I like, but as an artist myself I want to see great artists get the proper recognition.

"real entertainment"

Excuse me how and what

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Everything is entertainment these days. Even politics is entertainment. With practically every company touting a streaming service, we're drowning in it. Entertainment has become incredibly throwaway. There's so much to watch, listen to, play, and digest that it's impossible to get through it all in a lifetime. Choosing who and what to support or devote my attention to is paralysing. At least, that's the way I see it.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StockAvuryah View Post
    "real entertainment"

Excuse me how and what
    LOL. Sorry, that was a weird autocomplete error on my iPhone I didn't catch. Hell no, not entertainment. Ugh. Horrible. "relatable" was the intended word.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    they are surprised and probably go about their business without ever listening to them again.
    Their loss.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    Everything is entertainment these days. Even politics is entertainment. With practically every company touting a streaming service, we're drowning in it. Entertainment has become incredibly throwaway. There's so much to watch, listen to, play, and digest that it's impossible to get through it all in a lifetime. Choosing who and what to support or devote my attention to is paralysing. At least, that's the way I see it.
    A big part of this is the access to all this content. I remember TR talking about his teenage days and not having access to everything and saying something about having to pick one record, good or bad you were stuck with it and so you gave it your full attention. You saying that reminded me of when TR mentioned this in an interview a few years ago.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyperpower View Post
    A big part of this is the access to all this content. I remember TR talking about his teenage days and not having access to everything and saying something about having to pick one record, good or bad you were stuck with it and so you gave it your full attention. You saying that reminded me of when TR mentioned this in an interview a few years ago.
    Exactly. The same is true with all entertainment media. Once you bought it, you were fucking committed to that thing and it was yours whether you liked it or not, so you had to like it unless you could find someone to trade with. Review magazines were often bought out by the companies producing the content, so it was tough to know if something was good or bad until you experienced it yourself. Times were different then. Seems like a whole lifetime ago.

Back in the day, a guy I barely knew who worked in a different department came up to me and tried to get me to buy his copy of Broken. He bought it because he'd heard that I liked Nine Inch Nails, but it wasn't his thing (he was into Classical music). He got pretty angry when I told him that I wasn't interested because I already had a copy. I guess he had some weird respect for me even though we had previously exchanged no more than one or two words. Unfortunately, he never spoke to me again after that incident, so I never got to find out what happened to the album. I hope he stuck with it.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Makes me sad. I think we live in a stupid time. NIN isn’t some legacy act like Rolling Stones or Metallica whose best days are behind them. Trent is still making super innovative and relatable music and just not getting the recognition anymore because they world has terrible taste. I don’t need someone else’s approval to like what I like, but as an artist myself I want to see great artists get the proper recognition.

This makes me really sad too, I don't know how to convince for the lack of a better word "normies" that NIN's newest output is absolutely worthy of listening to, Bad Witch seems to have gotten more attention from people whom are passionate about music more so than Hesitation Marks, but to me, it still didn't feel like it was enough, instead people focused more on "You Won't Get What You Want", which while was good, it wasn't nearly as progressive with its sound as Bad Witch was.

I honestly think Trent never lost it and his music never lost the thunder, I've seen a lot of complaints over the years for new NIN music, which while I obviously try to respect, I don't understand, don't get, such as saying NIN's music has become too sterile, safe, I just don't hear that, at all. If anything the EP Trilogy is far more innacessible and experimental than the work people tend to consider "dangerous" from NIN. And even then, The Slip, Year Zero had plenty of grit, anger, heaviness to them, sometimes it feels people choose to ignore this fact.

I remember when NTAE came out and some people were calling it also safe and sterile, which just made me wonder if those who made those claims about that EP gave it a chance in the first place. I don't know.

I'd love for NIN to be far more popular than it is currently, or get more appreaciation perhaps that is the better word? Especially the latest work, I am scared to think that a lot of "fans" outside of this website and other places like NIN-Discord, Reddit, are the ones you see on Facebook, begging Trent to go back to the "heroine" (which he never did) and other crap. I still don't get people who over-react to a NIN single having an infenctious hook, when this is literally how this band began, Down In It, the first single and Head Like A Hole which has like three hooks in it, even The Downward Spiral, Broken, The Fragile; at their core, have infectious hooks, they are not traditional Rock albums, of course not (Neither is With_Teeth though), but Pop-songwritting is something Trent always had a ear for and he'd mix this with abrassive textures and sometimes creative structures for some songs, I saw some calling The Fragile and Spiral "Free-form" when compared to "With_Teeth" or something, as if Trent used to make avant-garde jazz albums.

Trent's music didn't become popular and even mainstream for nothing, some people, especially the ones you see on Facebook; pretend as if NIN used to be Godflesh. They pretend as if Trent started writting pop-hooks when With_Teeth was made. It probably frustrates me more than it should. It's funny, since NTAE and Bad Witch are the ones which avoid the poppy hooks the most, I saw some dude calling Bad Witch poppy too, what I am supposed to say at that point?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    In my opinion with the exception of Less Than (great song, but yes, it's more convencional than any of the others), the trilogy might be some of his most daring, unsafe work ever. Not The Actual Events is basically an EP with no melodies, an essential part in the 99% of the music people listens to. The decaying loop in The Background World just turns what may be an accessible song into a noise experiment, and Bad Witch is basically a noisy as hell mix of jazz and industrial that came out of nowhere.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mauro995 View Post
    In my opinion with the exception of Less Than (great song, but yes, it's more convencional than any of the others), the trilogy might be some of his most daring, unsafe work ever. Not The Actual Events is basically an EP with no melodies, an essential part in the 99% of the music people listens to. The decaying loop in The Background World just turns what may be an accessible song into a noise experiment, and Bad Witch is basically a noisy as hell mix of jazz and industrial that came out of nowhere.
    I agree, but doesn't Dear World's chorus have plenty of melody in it? Other than that, yes, it's easily his most dissosant thing ever.