Page 488 of 527 FirstFirst ... 388 438 478 486 487 488 489 490 498 ... LastLast
Results 14,611 to 14,640 of 15809

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    A question for anyone who can answer

IMG-20200925-WA0003.jpeg

This set of CDs contain that special version of Hurt with Bowie right? Just curious. Ran into it at a Sunrise Records in Brampton..

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyperpower View Post
    This set of CDs contain that special version of Hurt with Bowie right?
    Yes. It's the St. Louis soundboard recording from the Dissonance/Outside tour that has been well-circulated and also pressed onto approx 1,328 bootleg editions. If all you're interested in is the audio content, and not the dubious physical collectibility of the bootlegs, you can download the original recording from NIN Live:

https://ninlive.com/shows/1995/19951011.html

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    https://store.davidbowie.com/product...p=99486_108766

Looks like Rhino/Warner Music Hroup is behind the upcoming 1995 live CD/vinyl release from the David Bowie Archive, but its completely removed any hints that NIN & Bowie performed together (guessing rights issues with Interscope/Universal).

Clearly a professional audio recording was made that night (probably starting with Subterraneans but maybe the entire NIN set). Just imagine if the NIN portion mysteriously became available after all these years of mono St.Louis (& no Closer To God).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FULLMETAL View Post
    https://store.davidbowie.com/product...p=99486_108766

Looks like Rhino/Warner Music Hroup is behind the upcoming 1995 live CD/vinyl release from the David Bowie Archive, but its completely removed any hints that NIN & Bowie performed together (guessing rights issues with Interscope/Universal).

Clearly a professional audio recording was made that night (probably starting with Subterraneans but maybe the entire NIN set). Just imagine if the NIN portion mysteriously became available after all these years of mono St.Louis (& no Closer To God).
    Ok, so at this point which NIN show would be the best one to listen to before this to get a full start to finish experience?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilGobi View Post
    Ok, so at this point which NIN show would be the best one to listen to before this to get a full start to finish experience?
    St.Louis: https://ninlive.com/shows/1995/19951011.html

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Trent and Atticus should do a PHM pt2 sounding record. Use a very 80's sound pallet for an EP at least. Would be cool

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I hated Y34RZ3R0R3M1X3D (fuck that spelling) when it came out. Now I like it.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pigpen View Post
    Trent and Atticus should do a PHM pt2 sounding record. Use a very 80's sound pallet for an EP at least. Would be cool
    in that same vein: is there going to be a definitive PHM, or is that Bicycle release it?

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    The NIN groups on Facebook make me insane. I like being a member of them because you can often discover old photos, vintage merch etc. there. However, some of the discussions in those groups are just....yikes.

On a positive note, I somehow never heard of The Discographers podcast until this week. I’ve been binging on the NIN episodes and they are really well done. I have no idea how I missed them. I love NIN-centered podcast episodes. That Song Exploder episode is still one of my favorite things ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Lightbulb

0:35-0:45 of Keith LeBlanc - Mechanical Movements sounds very similar to the intro of Down In It (more noticeable with Down In It (Shred)'s extended intro), on which he's credited as producer

(I should stress: start at 0:35, intro to MM is completely different from the rest of the song)

LeBlanc (and Adrian Sherwood, at that) has an occasional tendency to reuse beats across projects, and every similarity I could notice was not in the demo version of DII, so this is most likely not a coincidence. I can't determine which album came first, though - Stranger Than Fiction's release is just listed 1989 everywhere, same year as Down In It/Pretty Hate Machine

I began to wonder if there's any other "fingerprints" like this in Pretty Hate Machine, but a quick skim through didn't immediately evoke anything. Just a neat bit of trivia, then.
    Last edited by ncrecc; 10-09-2020 at 05:00 PM.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ncrecc View Post
    0:35-0:45 of Keith LeBlanc - Mechanical Movements sounds very similar to the intro of Down In It (more noticeable with Down In It (Shred)'s extended intro), on which he's credited as producer

(I should stress: start at 0:35, intro to MM is completely different from the rest of the song)

LeBlanc (and Adrian Sherwood, at that) has an occasional tendency to reuse beats across projects, and every similarity I could notice was not in the demo version of DII, so this is most likely not a coincidence. I can't determine which album came first, though - Stranger Than Fiction's release is just listed 1989 everywhere, same year as Down In It/Pretty Hate Machine

I began to wonder if there's any other "fingerprints" like this in Pretty Hate Machine, but a quick skim through didn't immediately evoke anything. Just a neat bit of trivia, then.
    "Reality" by Tackhead also has some elements that were used on "Down In It":

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    My Violent Heart gives me goosebumps when I think about these fucking right wing assholes

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Yeah, and "God Given" is now making me think of the racism that has bubbled up big time after BLM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I was today years old when I realized that "Painted Sun in Abstract" and "Complication with an Optimistic Outcome" are basically different versions of the same song.

(And I love both.)

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Saw this ticket from Berlin 1999 and was surprised how well its it looks compared to my ticket.

It's a shame my tickets from Germany have faded like this. That said, it doesn't tarnish the memory of waiting after the show to get autographs & then trying to navigate the nachtbussen to the hostel. Good times!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Ilan Rubin and Nine Inch Nails were both born the same year.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I'm thinking it's pretty sweet that my NIN hoodie came today.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    I know you don't mean the dub version, but Mechanical Movements (Dub) was recorded in 1986. It's a bonus track from his first release:

Last edited by Jon; 10-22-2020 at 11:19 AM. Reason: wordz

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I know you don't mean the dub version, but Mechanical Movements (Dub) was recorded in 1986. It's a bonus track from his first release
    His track "Einstein" (extended and edits versions as well) (1988) certainly has some of the elements used later for NIN production.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eachpassingphase View Post
    The NIN groups on Facebook make me insane. I like being a member of them because you can often discover old photos, vintage merch etc. there. However, some of the discussions in those groups are just....yikes.
    i was kicked out of one of those groups for politely correcting someone when they posted an obvious Fragile tour era photo of TR with a caption stating that is was from the Self Destruct tour. Yikes indeed.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Was just thinking about how much I would love another release similar to Still.

There have been so many songs since then that I would love to hear a stripped down/acoustic/simplified version of.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    I’m still disturbed by the way TR holds his pen:

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    I just realised who Atticus reminds me of - the guy from One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest that appears at 00:49 of this clip, lol:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    This is my favourite NIN live video and has been since I first saw it in like 2008. Does anyone have anything that matches the intensity of this? I need more, man. The energy is unreal.

Sent from my H8416 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I know you don't mean the dub version, but Mechanical Movements (Dub) was recorded in 1986. It's a bonus track from his first release:

FYI those bonus tracks weren't actually included until a 2003 CD re-release; another one of the bonus tracks there is "Old Beat Master Mix", which is essentially an instrumental version of side A of an album he released in 1992 (Time Traveller)

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    FYI those bonus tracks weren't actually included until a 2003 CD re-release; another one of the bonus tracks there is "Old Beat Master Mix", which is essentially an instrumental version of side A of an album he released in 1992 (Time Traveller)
    Correct, but they're still Tackhead productions from 1985-1989. Here's this from September 1988:

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eachpassingphase View Post
    Was just thinking about how much I would love another release similar to Still.

There have been so many songs since then that I would love to hear a stripped down/acoustic/simplified version of.

And I would pay good money for tickets to that tour, sit down in seats, everyone shut the hell up and just soak it in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    does anyone remember/have knowledge of a playlist trent put out on beats music way back when that was a thing? it was a collection of very odd things that (i think) were things he was listening to during the PHM era or something like that.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vincenzomilione View Post
    does anyone remember/have knowledge of a playlist trent put out on beats music way back when that was a thing? it was a collection of very odd things that (i think) were things he was listening to during the PHM era or something like that.
    I saved TR's playlists on scribd here. You do need an account to see them unfortunately but you can create one without subscribing to any of their plans. But I'll move the content elsewhere if you don't mind waiting. I didn't realize they changed to force the need for an account. Ha!

FYI, some of the playlists were also posted to his spotify account and I think he periodically updates the 'Here in my car' one. But I deleted my account there recently so cannot confirm at this time. :-)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    you deleted your spotify account? why, whatever caused you to do that?