Page 462 of 527 FirstFirst ... 362 412 452 460 461 462 463 464 472 512 ... LastLast
Results 13,831 to 13,860 of 15809

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I wonder if he ever thought of using two drummers live, it could really thicken up the sound. The drums, especially on those early records are so hard-hitting I never felt like just one could convey that.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    The listening parties were fun. Before they played the album, there was a nin video montage. I might’ve teared up a little watching it. *fangirl*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Isn't that what ended up being that awesome [COLLECTED] promo DVD?

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    I wonder if he ever thought of using two drummers live, it could really thicken up the sound. The drums, especially on those early records are so hard-hitting I never felt like just one could convey that.
    I don't know; Ilan Rubin and Josh Freese are monsters behind the kit. Is more than one even necessary?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    For the record, NIN did use two drummers on a few songs during 1995 Dissonance tour (Charlie used second smaller drum kit along with Vrenna). Also Alessandro played some percussion alongside Ilan circa 2013/14 (maybe on recent tours as well but I haven't seen any 17/18 videos yet so I can't tell).
    I don't think two drummers are really needed, there's a lot of pre-recorded percussion that's always played from tape because Trent likes it that way, not because the band can't pull it off.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    The "Head Like a Hole" music video called! I love the two-drummer idea in theory, but NIN makes it work with four to five people onstage (as much as I did enjoy the expanded Tension lineup).

Ale played percussion back as far as 2005 too (see "List of Demands") and picked up a tambourine in the 2018 versions of "Only". I think for Charlie's kit in 1995 and the arrangement of "Starfuckers, Inc." in 1999/2000 they put all the additional percussion on a MIDI-triggered hardware sampler, but most of the time these days it's all sequenced from a software sampler on Atticus' rig. Ilan still hits MIDI triggers too, for songs like "The Wretched" with non-acoustic noises that form part of the main groove.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    For the record, NIN did use two drummers on a few songs during 1995 Dissonance tour (Charlie used second smaller drum kit along with Vrenna). Also Alessandro played some percussion alongside Ilan circa 2013/14 (maybe on recent tours as well but I haven't seen any 17/18 videos yet so I can't tell).
    I don't think two drummers are really needed, there's a lot of pre-recorded percussion that's always played from tape because Trent likes it that way, not because the band can't pull it off.
    I think Ally played percussion on Find My Way on the Hesitation Marks cycle iirc

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmcfly View Post
    I think Ally played percussion on Find My Way on the Hesitation Marks cycle iirc
    That was Josh E. and only in 2013.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat Mom View Post
    Still remember going to the listening party at the Metro in Chicago. Was weird, people standing around in a club listening to an album for the first time. (Except some of us on ETS had already heard leaks by then.)
    I went to the listening party in Philly. it was a bit weird, but I had a good time. Of course, there were 2 guys who 'pre-gamed' and were drunk AF and jumping around in a tiny club.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    here's an updated flowchart from the old mu one : https://i.imgur.com/YFXIsiN.jpg

edit : higher res - https://i.imgur.com/fZoh0OA.jpg
    Last edited by StockAvuryah; 05-15-2019 at 09:33 AM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StockAvuryah View Post
    here's an updated flowchart from the old mu one : https://i.imgur.com/YFXIsiN.jpg
    this is fantastic

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    I always been curious as to why The Perfect Drug Versions is almost entirely comprised of only two lines from the song: "You are the perfect drug" and "take me with you".

Part of me says that Trent only sent partial vocal stems to increase creativity with the music. Another part wonders if it's just some bizarre coincidence.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Trent turns 54 tomorrow!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Spit on me once, shame on you.

Spit on me twice, shame on me.

Spit on me thrice, and I'm gonna rip your fucking cunt off.
    Last edited by blassster; 05-18-2019 at 08:16 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm STILL coming down from the hype of seeing NIN live for the first (and hopefully not only) time on Corona Capital.

And I'm really fond of a certain moment in the concert. We were in Starfuckers, and the You're So Vain part came in, and people in Mexico have a certain... Affinity of screaming things and speeding up while they do it... So people went:
    "Don't you... don't you... don't you, don't you, don't you don't you DONTYOU DONTYOU DONTYOUSDONTYOU"

There was a brief moment of silence from Trent, and he went "The Fuck?... YouuuuuAAARGH!" And the song continued as normal.

I had known up until that point that Trent gor annoyed beyond human belief when people messed up the bridge, even making the "you fucked up the whole middle section" audio happen.

Having Trent go "The Fuck?!" on our concert was completely memorable, and my close friends all reference it when one says "The fuck?" they always complete it with a "youuuu"

( 3:38, to hear the complete clusterfuck this was.)

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Every time Trent Reznor's birthday approaches, Trent Turns 35, Trent Turns 37 and Trent Turns 38 still play in my mind without fail.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frolick Shiawase View Post
    I'm STILL coming down from the hype of seeing NIN live for the first (and hopefully not only) time on Corona Capital.

And I'm really fond of a certain moment in the concert. We were in Starfuckers, and the You're So Vain part came in, and people in Mexico have a certain... Affinity of screaming things and speeding up while they do it... So people went:
    "Don't you... don't you... don't you, don't you, don't you don't you DONTYOU DONTYOU DONTYOUSDONTYOU"

There was a brief moment of silence from Trent, and he went "The Fuck?... YouuuuuAAARGH!" And the song continued as normal.

I had known up until that point that Trent gor annoyed beyond human belief when people messed up the bridge, even making the "you fucked up the whole middle section" audio happen.

Having Trent go "The Fuck?!" on our concert was completely memorable, and my close friends all reference it when one says "The fuck?" they always complete it with a "youuuu"
    I don't think Trent was annoyed at all, i think he appreciated the messy chorus and went with it...

He did a similar thing the during the "WITH_TEETH Tour" in Mexico when he played "Starfuckers.Inc", basically interrupting the song to thank the people...

(Minute 1:01:53)
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 05-18-2019 at 11:20 PM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Ringfinger would have been great to bring back for the 2013 Hesitation Marks tours. It would have worked very well alongside the new material.

Sucks that it was last played in 1991.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by henryeatscereal View Post
    I don't think Trent was annoyed at all, i think he appreciated the messy chorus and went with it...

He did a similar thing the during the "WITH_TEETH Tour" in Mexico when he played "Starfuckers.Inc", basically interrupting the song to thank the people...

(Minute 1:01:53)
    LOL, thanks for posting that. Brings back good memories to see Dresden Dolls playing "War Pigs" there at the start of the show!

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    LOL, thanks for posting that. Brings back good memories to see Dresden Dolls playing "War Pigs" there at the start of the show!
    It was a great show, one of the greatest nights of my life, that's for sure!
    The Dresden Dolls actually signed my CD that day, good times!

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    The best girlfriend strikes again! (Last year it was the Australian Into The Void CD.)

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Further Down the Spiral is back on a Apple Music. Not sure why is vanished before but glad to see it return.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    Ringfinger would have been great to bring back for the 2013 Hesitation Marks tours. It would have worked very well alongside the new material.

Sucks that it was last played in 1991.
    I feel like Ringfinger and That's What I Get would be pretty great with the current band.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    I was just thinking about how if NIN gets inducted into the RHOF eventually we should all collaborate on a big fan project somehow to celebrate and pay tribute. Fans could submit short essays (video or written) talking about what Trent's work means to them and we could compile it all together somehow. Have our own little induction ceremony, lol. I think it could be a lot of fun. For all the whining we do, I think as a whole we are pretty grateful for his work, and I like hearing fans talk about how the music has impacted them personally.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eachpassingphase View Post
    I was just thinking about how if NIN gets inducted into the RHOF eventually we should all collaborate on a big fan project somehow to celebrate and pay tribute. Fans could submit short essays (video or written) talking about what Trent's work means to them and we could compile it all together somehow. Have our own little induction ceremony, lol. I think it could be a lot of fun. For all the whining we do, I think as a whole we are pretty grateful for his work, and I like hearing fans talk about how the music has impacted them personally.
    Hell, why wait until then? We could start on that now.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    It would also be perfect timing for Pretty Hate Machine's 30th anniversary.

I also never thought I'd say this, but it's hard for me to find the words sometimes. (I guess that's from also spilling my guts on NIN on ETS for so long.) Nine Inch Nails being music and entertainment is obviously a given, but it has also been a source of comfort and therapy for me. It speaks what I can not or even dare not say and just captures what I think, feel and how I sometimes look at life. I also like how I can get different visuals from both opposite extremes from the urban to rural environments or even the futuristic and the primitive settings you see in fiction. It has also been among some of the several reasons why Trent Reznor's music also worked so well for films, especially with his previous experience to tying in music an film with his videos. It's also as if his music is like a friend that's out to edify me and reassure me in all of it's power.

But aside from all that, Trent Reznor has truly been one of the best blessings (A godsend too, if you will.) I've ever known of in this life, ever. I'm happy for him, his accomplishments as well as his achievements in his personal endeavors, and these reasons are why I'm still happy to follow and support/promote him.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 05-24-2019 at 04:21 PM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    My friends two year-old daughter looked at my "The Fragile" bracelet the other day.

HER: What's that?
    ME: It's my favorite Nine Inch Nails album; what's yours?
    HER (thinking I'm talking about bracelets): The pretty one.
    ME & HER DAD: Pretty Hate Machine?!
    HER: Yeah, but it broke.
    ME & HER DAD: Broken???!!!
    HER: Yeah, but Mom says she can fix it.
    ME & HER DAD: WHAT IS HAPPENING

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Hell, why wait until then? We could start on that now.
    Yeah, you've got the gears in my head turning now. Halo Infinity brought up a good point about the anniversary. Hmmmm. Lemme think on this for a few days, because I really do think it would be something fun for the fanbase to do post-tour.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    Details? Photos? I'm curious now because I mostly sat the With Teeth era out (in favor of alot of underground rap (Aesop Rock, atmosphere, el-p, ect))
    Sorry, just saw this. No, nobody was taking any photos, people were just standing around (the Metro is two levels) drinking and ... listening to an album. I seemed to remember a video playing at some point, and there was some free swag.

Scroll to the middle of this page (to Monday 3/28/05): http://www.theninhotline.net/news/ar...e.php?y=05&m=3

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat Mom View Post
    Sorry, just saw this. No, nobody was taking any photos, people were just standing around (the Metro is two levels) drinking and ... listening to an album. I seemed to remember a video playing at some point, and there was some free swag.

Scroll to the middle of this page (to Monday 3/28/05): http://www.theninhotline.net/news/ar...e.php?y=05&m=3
    @SM Rollinger

they played what is basically the "Collected" DVD before playing with teeth, they were giving out free 7" singles of THTF (right? or was it the 10" picture discs? i honestly can't remember).

what i most remember is that it was POURING out before we got to go in and because i got drenched, a bunch of paint from the wall i was leaning against at the back of the venue rubbed off on to my pants/belt and forever discolored them a weird blue.

it was a weird but fun experience going to a venue to get an early listen to an album with a bunch of strangers; overall i enjoyed it.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    For no reason other than my gut, I feel we get something NIN related by the end of this year. Maybe an EP? Live DVD/BluRay? Etc.