Page 498 of 498 FirstFirst ... 398 448 488 496 497 498
Results 14,911 to 14,925 of 14925

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    how do you all listen to NIN in 5.1? Are those versions available for streaming? Do you need to own an SACD?

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    I have the DVDA/SACD/BD versions of what is available. Maybe there's a version on YouTube for streaming? I've seen a couple albums on there in 5.1 so it's possible.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    I'd love NIN to play Sunday Bloody Sunday live with Saul Williams

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    OH man, now that's an album - hell, an artist - I've not listened to in a long time and I need to fix that.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostaustin View Post
    how do you all listen to NIN in 5.1? Are those versions available for streaming? Do you need to own an SACD?
    My Acura plays the WT and TDS dualdisc DVD-A.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    The best way to hear them is to acquire ISOs of the dead DVD-A and SACD formats, preferably the DVD-A, and rip them to WAV. The SACD format is a mess.

Your device would need to connect to the receiver via HDMI to play the lossless audio in surround. Direct via a PC or device hosting a USB drive/burned disc with the WAV files.

A BD boxset of the main albums in surround would be sick, hopefully they do something official in a good format someday.
    Last edited by blassster; 05-04-2021 at 08:16 PM.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ekrekel View Post
    My Acura plays the WT and TDS dualdisc DVD-A.
    Oh right, there were some high-end card that came with DVDa players. I seem to recall one version that had a center channel built in to the player.

Mentioned
    498 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Oh right, there were some high-end card that came with DVDa players. I seem to recall one version that had a center channel built in to the player.
    the problem with that is that the only person who would be in the "sweet spot" would be the middle seat passenger in the back, and then the front L+R channels are going to be partially blocked by the seats (and the bodies in them). a car is not an ideal place for a 5.1 system (not to mention the engine noise and the sounds of being out on the road). but i guess it's an interesting novelty? i would find myself so distracted while driving, though, paying too much attention to the spacial distribution of sounds instead of, y'know, driving.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    On this, the birthday for The Slip, I wonder again at where this remix came from.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    On this, the birthday for The Slip, I wonder again at where this remix came from.
    Possibly a fan mix that was on remix.nin.com at the time?? Or are you thinking there’s more legitimacy to it?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The 10th anniversary edition of TDS was released on SACD and DVD-A, with the remixed stereo audio in hi-res and 5.1 mixes. WT was released on DVD-A, again with hi-res stereo and 5.1. I don't think there's much out there that will properly play the hi-res audio from a DVD-A (unless you're using hardware that explicitly supports DVD-A, which is pretty uncommon nowadays, and wasn't even common in the mid-2000s), though you can play the regular Dolby stereo and 5.1 mixes on pretty much anything that plays regular DVDs, and unless you have super-high end equipment, you probably won't notice much difference in quality. If you have a PC with a disc drive, there's a specialized program that will rip the DVD-A audio to WAV, and it's not complex at all to use.

I should also point out that TDS and WT were DualDisc releases, which meant one side of the disc was the CD version of the album, and if you flipped the disc over it was the DVD-A version.

The Social Network was released on Blu-ray with a 5.1 mix back in 2011. The Ghosts I-IV deluxe editions came with the album on Blu-ray as well, but that was just hi-res stereo audio, no 5.1 mix unfortunately.
    Last edited by Jazzkokehead; 05-06-2021 at 08:28 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Fan mix, one of my early ones.. I didn't attach my name to it because it's a bit poor. Best avoid.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    oh good, mystery solved. I had no idea where it came from when I found it on my external hard drives when I was cleaning them up over the summer.

Spoiler: I like it...

also, since we're talking about 5.1 here's the link to the thread on 5.1 surround music.
    Last edited by allegate; 05-06-2021 at 10:49 AM.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    The Nine Inch Nails performing live with Dr Manhattan on bass guitar (2013, colorized)

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    new music with vocals + shows announced. is this real life?