Page 497 of 527 FirstFirst ... 397 447 487 495 496 497 498 499 507 ... LastLast
Results 14,881 to 14,910 of 15809

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helpmeiaminhell View Post
    Can't help but think the more recognition Trent and Atticus keep getting for their score work is just another nail in the Nine Inch Nails coffin. At this point NIN is already a side project and scoring is the main thing. Now more and more bigwig Hollywood studios are going to commission them for score work. Get ready for another 10 scores in the next 4 years and one four song NIN EP to tide us over in that same stretch

RIP NIN 1988-2021?
    Lol.

relax.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    You can always count on the certainties in life. Death, taxes, and certain people claiming that NIN is done every time they do a successful score.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Can't help but think the more recognition Trent and Atticus keep getting for their score work is just another nail in the Nine Inch Nails coffin. At this point NIN is already a side project and scoring is the main thing. Now more and more bigwig Hollywood studios are going to commission them for score work. Get ready for another 10 scores in the next 4 years and one four song NIN EP to tide us over in that same stretch

RIP NIN 1988-2021?
    LOL. Overly dramatic hot take!

I realize that I may be taking the bait here, but since there are a few people around here that share your hot take, I'd like to suggest the following: Perhaps the added recognition of another Oscar win (and all of the other awards Soul and Mank have reaped) will simply allow them to be offered better films to choose from, which will result in more rewarding scenarios (for them, as well as us) like The Social Network, Watchmen, and Soul. This could also in turn mean being involved in fewer less rewarding films like their experiences in Bird Box and Patriot's Day (that's not a knock on the great music they produced for those movies, just their not-so-great experiences of scoring for them). I think this may simply mean they will have the luxury going forward (more-so than they likely already did) of being able to pick and choose the projects that are best suited for them, or offer the most exciting creative challenges to them, which will yield better music. Sounds like a win-win for TR/AR and the fans to me!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    At this point I'm even more sure that NIN will still be releasing music as long as Trent is alive.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    I texted my mom last night that Trent won the award, and she wrote back, "Because he is so handsome."

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    For the record, I dig the scores. I just don't want to see NIN get swallowed up and tossed aside with the exception of a 4 song EP every 3 years to tide people over. Since 2018 we have had 8 scores released and 1 NIN EP....errr I mean a 30 minute "full length"......I am counting Ghosts 5 and 6 as film scores since thats obvious what they were (Woman In The Window/leftover songs from other projects, The Fourth Estate? etc)
    Last edited by Helpmeiaminhell (is now in hell); 04-26-2021 at 02:42 PM.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    I am counting Ghosts 5 and 6 as film scores
    So even new NIN is only new NIN when you decide it is. Cool.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Periodic reminder that the ignore function is your friend...

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Nine Inch Nails isn't done until they release that fucking Sex Dwarf cover.

Fight me.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Maybe the topic of their second Oscar win deserves it's own thread? Seems weird to be relegated to "Random NIN thoughts." Perhaps this conversation (which was relocated from NIN Spotting) could be moved to its own dedicated thread? Especially since it's going to be a hot topic this week...

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    The sky is always falling when you make it fall...

Anyway, congrats to TR/AR and Jon Batiste for the win. Feels like it was just yesterday that they announced the score for The Social Network. They grow up so fast!

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    I'm thrilled they won, even if it was essentially a given the moment Soul became available and the hype started rolling out. It's easily my least favorite score they've done to date, by a mile, but any TR/AR music is going to be top shelf for the unabashed, diehard fanboy that is me..

As long as they keep releasing dark, challenging works like Bird Box, Ghosts V-VI, The Vietnam War, etc., it's just as well as new NIN to me at this point. The EP trilogy and its touring cycle was one hell of a ride from 2016-2018 and their desire to actively work on a new NIN album right now is exciting as all fuck..

Maybe this is just my warped sense of fan reality, but ever since the Wave Goodbye shows and their scoring career taking off after TSN, I've spent the last decade since the advent of HTDA and Hes Marks believing that NIN essentially disbanded, then re-emerged, and everything we get from him/them is a bonus. Something that maybe we weren't originally meant to have but wound up getting anyway..

I think that's why Hes Marks, the trilogy, and last year's Ghosts rank so highly with me: not because I'm an ardent fan, but because I don't take his releases for granted the same way I did when they were his primary vehicle. None of their scores -- save for Soul and Mank -- has sounded very far off from a NIN album to me anyway..

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Hot take

I'd rather see a US tour that hits the markets NIN has been skipping since 2013 than have another record at this point. (if i had to choose between the two)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Hot take

I'd rather see a US tour that hits the markets NIN has been skipping since 2013 than have another record at this point. (if i had to choose between the two)

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    Why even have this conversation to begin with? Trent and Atticus have been showered with commercial acclaims for their non-NIN works for a decade now, so what kind of logic would suggest that this was supposed to be the last nail in NIN's coffin? Do you think Trent was shrugging off his previous awards (including a FUCKING OSCARS), but now that he got his second Oscars, he's like "oh shit, this score thingy may really take off!!!!!! I better stop doing NIN stuff!!!!" Do you think fucking Hollywood execs was blind to them before, but now that they got their second Academy Award, they are like "oh shit boss!! look at those guys! ever heard of them?!"

Come on now, don't be silly. Trent has always been very liberal with his breaks from NIN, so it's nothing new. We are not even in the most dire years of NIN production of its career.

Also, congrats guys!
    always makes my day when we totally agree on something

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I want it all! Gimmie new album, gimmie tour with raging shaggy-haired Trent. Give it to me hard.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    always makes my day when we totally agree on something
    This and similar situations irl always feel like some anime shit, like when someone really has to fuck it up to anger both Goku and Vegeta.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I get why there's new excitement over this headline and the "probably as soon as tomorrow" quote but.....do any of us really think he actually means what it looks like he does?

What I'm saying is, he knows exactly what he's saying, where he's saying it, and damn well what kind of headline it's going to make. But I sincerely doubt, in fact I'd bet there's ZERO CHANCE he hasn't already been working on new NIN .. at least in some capacity, even if it's just as little having ideas on what NIN would sound like going forward, and maybe a few of those ideas recorded.

Especially during the past year of not being able to tour like they clearly planned, or really do much of anything, at all, anywhere. Any band who isn't coming out of what 2020 turned out to be for all of us with at least something recorded, if not full songs/albums, or at least the ideas/structures for some, might as well not be a band.

It's not like he won a grammy and his first thought was "oh fuck, NIN!!! YEAH! I'm gonna do that tomorrow!"
    Last edited by AndItKeepsRepeating; 04-28-2021 at 07:27 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    well, uh, yeah? but there's also the idea of media training where you have to say things a certain way to make headlines a certain way and I'm sure that by now he knows how to do that thing that certain way. This isn't 'soon'.

I mean, I hope this isn't 'soon', I'll admit that. But still.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    Furthermore Rock as a genre is barely hanging on and is so outside of the culture now.
    This may not be the right thread to start talking about this, but I hear this a lot and genuinely don't get it. Is rock really so unpopular? I mean, in the age of the internet and memes and shit, nothing will ever be as popular as shit that goes viral on tiktok or what have you, but I mean, rock is still where it's been for most of my life. I don't think you could go to a single college campus in America where 99% of the student body didn't listen to Tame Impala or HAIM or something.

So when people say that rock is dead or whatever, do they mean a super specific style of rock? I guess super aggressive 90s - 00s rock is mostly dead, but that's a really narrow view of what rock is. For example, you could say HAIM isn't rock, but then what are they? Funk-pop? Is that a thing? If we were talking about classic rock bands, would Talking Heads have a place in the conversation? Are Pink Floyd a rock band? They don't really sound anything like Chuck Berry to me. Honestly, I'm not sure you could classify half of the NIN discography as rock music. Pretty Hate Machine, The Downward Spiral, The Fragile, Year Zero, half of The Slip, Hesitation Marks, and all of the Ghosts albums don't really fit the "rock" idea to me.

On top of all that, the current trends in hip hop are more rock than they've ever been. Denzel Curry, BROCKHAMPTON and the like. I don't think rock has really gone anywhere, it's just the concept of rock you grew up with that's gone, just like the concept of rock your parents grew up with was gone when you were young. I was born in the 90s, so by the time I really started figuring out my tastes musically, the 2000s had already started and pop and hip hop were the top of the charts, and that's how it's been for 20 years now. I don't really remember where I was going with this, but I hope there's a nugget of coherency in here somewhere. I'm deliriously sleepy. Goodnight, y'all.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndItKeepsRepeating View Post
    I get why there's new excitement over this headline and the "probably as soon as tomorrow" quote but.....do any of us really think he actually means what it looks like he does?

What I'm saying is, he knows exactly what he's saying, where he's saying it, and damn well what kind of headline it's going to make. But I sincerely doubt, in fact I'd bet there's ZERO CHANCE he hasn't already been working on new NIN .. at least in some capacity, even if it's just as little having ideas on what NIN would sound like going forward, and maybe a few of those ideas recorded.

Especially during the past year of not being able to tour like they clearly planned, or really do much of anything, at all, anywhere. Any band who isn't coming out of what 2020 turned out to be for all of us with at least something recorded, if not full songs/albums, or at least the ideas/structures for some, might as well not be a band.

It's not like he won a grammy and his first thought was "oh fuck, NIN!!! YEAH! I'm gonna do that tomorrow!"
    Eh, I don't get all the hyper reaction to this. I think his response to the interview was a non-committal "hey, NIN isn't dead, we're feeling refreshed and it's next on our list." I think it was an unveiled message to NIN fans of "chill the f--k out, we're getting to that."

It sounds weird, but seeing TR's involvement with the Bowie tribute, the quarantine shaggy hair... the confidence he's exuding lately... I'm hoping there's going to be some amazing, balls-to-the-wall NIN coming out soon. I'm waiting patiently for "soon." I want some amazeballz vocals and music. If it drops end of 2021 or early 2022...FINE... so be it. I'm ok with a 2022 tour....but make it a damn good one. And make the music release in 2021 to whet our appetite.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Here's an idea for Trent, if he performs That's What I Get again and wants to avoid the cheesy "After you just taught me how to kiss you" lyric he can just replace it with "After you just taught me how to fist you" to keep the NIN vibe strong.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nooneimportant View Post
    Here's an idea for Trent, if he performs That's What I Get again and wants to avoid the cheesy "After you just taught me how to kiss you" lyric he can just replace it with "After you just taught me how to fist you" to keep the NIN vibe strong.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I really want a Purest Feeling vinyl bootleg...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I hope Trent sees it fit to release The Fragile 5.1 mix some day. Granted, he seems less into the idea than he did in the mid-2000s when we got The Downward Spiral and With Teeth in surround, but we know he's worked on it - he Tweeted about working on with Alan Moulder back in 2009 or, I believe. So it's not exactly a pipe dream. I don't honestly believe we'll ever see it at this point, but as a fan of the format, I'd like to dream.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzkokehead View Post
    I hope Trent sees it fit to release The Fragile 5.1 mix some day. Granted, he seems less into the idea than he did in the mid-2000s when we got The Downward Spiral and With Teeth in surround, but we know he's worked on it - he Tweeted about working on with Alan Moulder back in 2009 or, I believe. So it's not exactly a pipe dream. I don't honestly believe we'll ever see it at this point, but as a fan of the format, I'd like to dream.
    Part of me feels like never say never with this, mainly because of the tease at the end of the post when The Social Network was released in Dolby Atmos on Amazon HD. It seemed like a knowing wink and nod to the fact that people know a multichannel Fragile exists and want it. Maybe I’m putting too much stock in nothing, but why mention it otherwise?

Post in question, btw: https://www.nin.com/the-social-netwo...tmos-3d-audio/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by variablebitrate View Post
    Part of me feels like never say never with this, mainly because of the tease at the end of the post when The Social Network was released in Dolby Atmos on Amazon HD. It seemed like a knowing wink and nod to the fact that people know a multichannel Fragile exists and want it. Maybe I’m putting too much stock in nothing, but why mention it otherwise?
    I hope you're right. Ironically - the only version of The Social Network soundtrack I own is that original 5.1 Blu-ray release.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by variablebitrate View Post

Post in question, btw: https://www.nin.com/the-social-netwo...tmos-3d-audio/
    I was already looking at getting rid of my receiver. it's a decade-plus old and every single thing we watch over HDMI has a huge sibilant problem and this is after changing the entire speaker system. On top of that I set up the night mode and still everything has huge swings.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    how do you all listen to NIN in 5.1? Are those versions available for streaming? Do you need to own an SACD?