Page 357 of 528 FirstFirst ... 257 307 347 355 356 357 358 359 367 407 457 ... LastLast
Results 10,681 to 10,710 of 15828

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    735 Post(s)
    I don't DISLIKE No, You Don't, but I think it's my least favorite on the record

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    @botley @r_z Another album that used that kind of structure was Intelligence and Sacrifice by Alec Empire. Disc 1 is Atari Teenage Riot-lite, Disc 2 is endless synth noodling.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    I think he could have gone the Radiohead way and release TF not as a double disc, but as two seperate albums - just as they did with Kid A and Amnesiac. I think there even was an Interview with him post Amnesiac where he kind of acknowledged this.

I also think there's an album somewhere in TF that's just as strong and daring as Kid A.
    Had TF been two albums like Kid/Amnesiac, their current tracklists are pretty sensible as standalones. It even sorta matches the way Kid A is more easily accessible and Amnesiac follows some more harrowing and experimental roads (despite most of the truly experimental material being left for its singles). The way some cassettes do TF part 1 and part 2 is pretty much this method of release.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    @botley @r_z Another album that used that kind of structure was Intelligence and Sacrifice by Alec Empire. Disc 1 is Atari Teenage Riot-lite, Disc 2 is endless synth noodling.
    Disc 1 is soooooooooo good.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    I like Starfuckers where it currently is, because it's like The Fragile's Big Man With A Gun: the final outburst before things go darker, deeper and weirder. And yes, I know what I've said in my about the song feeling generally out of place in The Fragile as a whole. Dammit, Fragile. You always keep changing my mind about yourself. You are the very definition of "sprawling".

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    For quite some time, I've actually looked at albums as movies and TV shows where each song is like a scene or an episode. It's part of why I try to take each album as a single entity even if I end up skipping songs a lot, or even if the albums aren't actual concept albums. It's even gotten to to try to perceive each album as a sequel (And snapshot of when/what the artist(s) were/was.), which is why it got me to try to look into albums in chronological order, especially when it comes to getting into proper listens/binges for the very first time.

I'm sure this is one of the reasons I keep returning to Nine Inch Nails, aside from being entertained and relating to the actual music and lyrics. I've always liked how Trent Reznor was able to connect songs, stories and meanings from start to finish on each record, while sometimes referring to other songs and records as a callback or even connecting videos like with what he did for the Broken movie, which to me, seems very much like the nature of seasons, episodes and scenes. The visual aspects of his works also definitely speak for themselves in that regard too.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    All the evidence in the world won't convince him that it was written by Trent Reznor

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Was there anything that Tweet was in reference to, or was he just super-bummed that day for some reason?
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 04-29-2017 at 10:03 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Halo Infinity View Post
    For quite some time, I've actually looked at albums as movies and TV shows where each song is like a scene or an episode. It's part of why I try to take each album as a single entity even if I end up skipping songs a lot, or even if the albums aren't actual concept albums. It's even gotten to to try to perceive each album as a sequel (And snapshot of when/what the artist(s) were/was.), which is why it got me to try to look into albums in chronological order, especially when it comes to getting into proper listens/binges for the very first time.

I'm sure this is one of the reasons I keep returning to Nine Inch Nails, aside from being entertained and relating to the actual music and lyrics. I've always liked how Trent Reznor was able to connect songs, stories and meanings from start to finish on each record, while sometimes referring to other songs and records as a callback or even connecting videos like with what he did for the Broken movie, which to me, seems very much like the nature of seasons, episodes and scenes. The visual aspects of his works also definitely speak for themselves in that regard too.

I always felt like that all works of NIN are concept records one way or another. With_Teeth, The Slip, Hesitation Marks and Not The Actual Events might as well be concept albums.

I don't get this quite feeling with each album, but NIN really makes me feel like there is a story going on. It makes it all feel very special

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Was there anything that Tweet was in reference to, or was he just super-bummed that day for some reason?
    I think somebody must have retweeted it in relation to him losing the custody battle because a ton of people are correcting him

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    well, it was posted dec 9 2012. Without looking into it, my money is on that he though the world was going to end in 3 days on 12/12/12
    The date was actually on 12/21/12. I remember that day, I listened to Year Zero and drank a soda. Fun times.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HWB View Post
    I always felt like that all works of NIN are concept records one way or another. With_Teeth, The Slip, Hesitation Marks and Not The Actual Events might as well be concept albums.

I don't get this quite feeling with each album, but NIN really makes me feel like there is a story going on. It makes it all feel very special
    It also has to do with the sound of each album; that is, the palette of instruments and textures used. Trent has mentioned that it's easier for him to limit himself by using only a few specific instruments or effects for each record, because, if he begins using every single piece of hardware in his huge studio, he will end up making, as he said, "stupid things". Thus, each record has a distinct sound, because it was made using a different set of tools.

Funny thing is, Imogen Heap has said the exact same thing in regards to her own music studio. She plays the piano or other acoustic instruments first, because the computer only drives her to "make noises".

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HWB View Post

Another thing I forgot to mention was that as far as the story part goes, it also has an autobiographical feel/vibe to it. I have related to NIN in my day to day life as I've mentioned, which is why I've stuck with NIN so much. (I'll also still admit that I know I should and could still sometimes put NIN down to make room for other artists in my listening binges too, but NIN really has a hold on me like no other.) I know I've mentioned this several times before, but I have been able to relate NIN albums so much even in those times of my life where I just felt like disappearing when being stagnant and just feeling utterly jaded and defeated altogether. I suppose that's what ultimately still makes me very appreciate of NIN more as I can enjoy it through thick and thin, while being entertained and introspective.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 04-30-2017 at 01:04 PM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    It also has to do with the sound of each album; that is, the palette of instruments and textures used. Trent has mentioned that it's easier for him to limit himself by using only a few specific instruments or effects for each record, because, if he begins using every single piece of hardware in his huge studio, he will end up making, as he said, "stupid things". Thus, each record has a distinct sound, because it was made using a different set of tools.

Funny thing is, Imogen Heap has said the exact same thing in regards to her own music studio. She plays the piano or other acoustic instruments first, because the computer only drives her to "make noises".

That and also the fact that even so called "non concept" records have mottifs and reference other tracks, it always feels like something leads up to something.

Like the instrumental parts in The Slip leading up to the Demon Seed, the constant references to something growing in the mind the artwork, how is this not concept album? It totally feels like it.

This goes for more work, With_Teeth references other tracks "The line begins to blur" and then you have Hesitation Marks which references TDS and almost may be a sequel to it.

I feel like all NIN's record are concept albums, in a style of The Fragile, where it isn't as clear or direct with its concept, more loose, not as straight forward as say The Downward Spiral, but you can tell something is going on from beginning to end.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I've always assumed when he is saying "me and my fucking gun" he is literally talking about his "fucking" gun

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    laughed pretty hard at that Happy cover lol

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I'm convinced Closer started out as a tribute to Lalo Schifrin.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Halo Infinity View Post
    But, will it blend?

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    I recall that a few years ago I had set aside a few hundred for the Pumpkins' Machina reissue (which at that point I still believed would come out one day), intending to buy it in every format available. Then Hesitation Marks and the Tension tour happened and I said fuck it and my Pumpkins' savings went to NIN.

I built that back up. Just in case. Then the NIN reissue campaign started up. And NTAE.

I built it back up again. Just in case. Everything from With Teeth onward's still coming eventually.

It's time for me to accept that the Pumpkins fund is just perpetually going to Trent.

I'm okay with that.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    I recall that a few years ago I had set aside a few hundred for the Pumpkins' Machina reissue (which at that point I still believed would come out one day), intending to buy it in every format available. Then Hesitation Marks and the Tension tour happened and I said fuck it and my Pumpkins' savings went to NIN.

I built that back up. Just in case. Then the NIN reissue campaign started up. And NTAE.

I built it back up again. Just in case. Everything from With Teeth onward's still coming eventually.

It's time for me to accept that the Pumpkins fund is just perpetually going to Trent.

I'm okay with that.
    What the hell is Billy doing nowadays anyway?
    No reunion tour, no solo album coming out, no machina reissue, no zwan box set, no pumpkins album, even the Teargarden project is incomplete.
    Only thing that was released since MTAE is that fucking Siddartha boxset, which was beyond ludicrous.
    I'll gladly support any proper release, but it seems like everything is in limbo.
    Last edited by Lerxto; 05-04-2017 at 05:06 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poro765 View Post
    What the hell is Billy doing nowadays anyway?
    No reunion tour, no solo album coming out, no machina reissue, no zwan box set, no pumpkins album, even the Teargarden project is incomplete.
    Only thing that was released since MTAE is that fucking Siddartha boxset, which was beyond ludicrous.
    I'll gladly support any proper release, but it seems like everything is in limbo.
    I wish he would just release the goddamn Machina reissue so I can stop having to care about anything else he does. Besides that boxset or reunion, I could give a crap what he does on his own. I'm done with his BS projects he never ends up finishing. I'm done with him selling postcards he found, cheap record players he scribbles on, and now pawning his frigging CD collection. It's just getting sad. I also love how they "decided" to change the Siddhartha from 500 signed copies to suddenly 250 so they could drop the price by over 50% for the unsigned sets because it wasn't selling out. They're trying to claim there are two sets of 250 each when it was always just the total 500 sets. Apparently without his signature, the boxset is only worth $160 instead of $375. Lets not forget he tried to make us believe the set was worth a lot of money by adding a cheap trucker hat with his initials and a $25 stylophone that you can buy anywhere else.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    FWIW he apparently said recently the solo album is coming in September. *Shrug*

I don't think he cares any more than we do, being a dad is probably priority 1 for him at the moment.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Papagolash View Post
    I love both songs, and I don't think No, You Don't gets the love it deserves. I fucking love the lyrics.
    I was wondering whether to post this in the Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions or the NIN Confessions thread, but thought of just making do with this one now that I've seen you bring it up.

Yes. No, You Don't and Starfuckers, Inc. are still among my most favorite songs from The Fragile to the point of me even considering them among the best songs from The Fragile. They always were that way to me.

As for the flow, I didn't mind it one bit, as it grabbed the "going off the deep end" vibes perfectly for me. *Imagining Trent shifting/altering characters/personalities, perspectives, moods and vibes along sounds and styles, etc.* If anything, it actually made me enjoy The Fragile a whole lot more. (Granted, it's probably still very easy for me to say that as somebody that also loves both songs anyway.)
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 05-04-2017 at 09:04 PM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arsenic View Post
    remember the Banksy hotel?
    a new track by TR+AR is available here: http://walledoffhotel.com/media/green-lines.mp3
    http://walledoffhotel.com

edit: it's the track number 8 of the album "The Walled Off Hotel". Hopefully they'll release the full thing

I didn't see this post, and I did not mean to steal your thunder, but I started a thread for this in the "score" section of the board after this was posted.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Several Hesitation Marks songs (namely the atmospheric ones) all remind me of traveling in the wilderness during the night. Their sound and mood just give me that feel.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManBurning View Post
    But...but...but none of us think or say that. This list is shit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kulerage View Post
    Several Hesitation Marks songs (namely the atmospheric ones) all remind me of traveling in the wilderness during the night. Their sound and mood just give me that feel.
    which ones in particular?

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Watched Closure for like the billionth time last night. Still as awesome as the first time I saw it almost 20 years ago. That part after the Hurt performance when the guy does the cigarette-lighting trick is never anything short of amazing. Weird to see El Duce popping in backstage towards the beginning, too; dude was already dead on the railroad tracks seven months by the time that documentary was released.

Will never forget seeing the MTV news clip from that time when TR chucked the microphone stand and it smacked Vrenna in the head, who didn't so much as miss a beat on drums. Self-Destruct was a tour for the ages. I hope more of the unreleased footage they shot for it rises to the surface one day.

Looking forward to the "Closure: 20th anniversary" thread this November..

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweeterthan View Post
    But...but...but none of us think or say that. This list is shit.
    You love Combichrist, don't you?

The list is totally missing Rammstein.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    You love Combichrist, don't you?

The list is totally missing Rammstein.
    Since Rammstein is missing and I love Rammstein, I'm going to do my own...........

Rammstein: You buy your clothes at Hot Topic