Page 271 of 528 FirstFirst ... 171 221 261 269 270 271 272 273 281 321 371 ... LastLast
Results 8,101 to 8,130 of 15828

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Someone can come along and be much more eloquent, but he's been a tease since 1991.
    Every time I'm linked to those Prodigy posts I tell myself I won't waste time re-reading it all again, then I get suckered in by Trent's messages and I end up re-reading it all over again. Fuck you, eloquent early 90s Trent!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Trent will turn 33 this year.

In hexadecimal of course, but I think decimal is way overrated... ;-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Holy fuck I can't even imagine being this person. Throw in Depeche Mode playing at the same time would be my personal ultimate limbo of doom.

Last edited by _T_B_W_; 03-18-2016 at 01:02 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Depeche Mode and NIN...it would be a so obvious collaboration. I wonder sometimes why this never happened...not even a remix or so. DM and NIN have so much in common...a sound, a sometimes desperate state of mind and many producers (Flood, Alan Moulder...).

And for instance, DM's Ultra or Playing The Angel sound very NIN to me...a shame that Martin Gore, Dave Gahan and TR never planned some stuff in common. Too many egos for one project maybe...
    Last edited by Al Kasil; 03-18-2016 at 04:39 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Kasil View Post
    Depeche Mode and NIN...it would be a so obvious collaboration. I wonder sometimes why this never happened...not even a remix or so. DM and NIN have so much in common...a sound, a sometimes desperate state of mind and many producers (Flood, Alan Moulder...).

And for instance, DM's Ultra or Playing The Angel sound very NIN to me...a shame that Martin Gore, Dave Gahan and TR never planned some stuff in common. Too many egos for one project maybe...
    If I'm not mistaken, Alan Wilder was one of many names Trent wanted to collaborate with on Tapeworm. Currently NIN and DM are signed on Columbia Records, so there's still hope of some sort of interaction between the two. It would be very awesome to see a Trent Reznor/Martin Gore record one day called TR & MG.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    I have no idea if this has been posted or not but i found this

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I've seen that video before, but I'd never noticed til now that the vocals are live. You can hear his voice crack on the word "we" during the chorus.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dryalex12 View Post
    I have no idea if this has been posted or not but i found this

thanks for that gem

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I think Rob posted that on NIN.com around the same time as they put up the alternative edit of the video with those freaky numbers and voices at the beginning. Good times.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    So, Apple Music will provide a new platform for idiots like me who like to do mashups and remixes of songs all the time, and will let us post our shit without us being afraid of getting our asses sued or our tracks removed, like Soundcloud does.

http://www.digitaldjtips.com/2016/03...o-apple-music/

I don't know if Trent had a hand in this, but I as sure as hell hope so.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I know it's superbly unrealistic, but I really wish Year Zero had been performed in full at some point. Maybe it has a lot to do with that album and ARG being responsible for making me a super-fan (it, TDS and W_T were all my gateways) but I just feel like it flows so well and Zero-Sum really deserved to be performed at some point. How that never happened, at least, is beyond me.

The piano outro for it at the "final" show in 2009 at the end of ITT is still such an emotional gut-punch whenever I listen to that performance; I can't imagine how the whole song could've felt. Would've been a superb replacement for Hurt as an ending song.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    I know it's superbly unrealistic, but I really wish Year Zero had been performed in full at some point. Maybe it has a lot to do with that album and ARG being responsible for making me a super-fan (it, TDS and W_T were all my gateways) but I just feel like it flows so well and Zero-Sum really deserved to be performed at some point. How that never happened, at least, is beyond me.

The piano outro for it at the "final" show in 2009 at the end of ITT is still such an emotional gut-punch whenever I listen to that performance; I can't imagine how the whole song could've felt. Would've been a superb replacement for Hurt as an ending song.
    I'd love NIN to do a stint like Sparks did a few years ago, every album in full, one night after the other (with other songs played for short albums of course)

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post

The ITT (with Zero-Sum piano outro) was the best closing song, I don't know why Trent only used it for the LITS tour.
    IMO there are 2 songs that make for simply amazing openers: Now I'm Nothing (into Terrible Lie) and Mr. Self Destruct. Home was cool because of the idea that it would just start with Robin's guitar as he walked on to the stage, and people came on accordingly. Somewhat Damaged was cool for the same reason of lights are up and suddenly shit's happening (and the build through the song) but I think it works just as well (if not better) coming back on the upswing after the slow/visuals middle of the show, to pick things back up.
    I would actually like to hear opinions of people who've seen multiple opening/closing songs what they like the most and why. I love live show discussions since I became a fan right after the Fragility tour so I've only seen the post-sobriety NIN live.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    The ITT (with Zero-Sum piano outro) was the best closing song, I don't know why Trent only used it for the LITS tour.
    IMO there are 2 songs that make for simply amazing openers: Now I'm Nothing (into Terrible Lie) and Mr. Self Destruct. Home was cool because of the idea that it would just start with Robin's guitar as he walked on to the stage, and people came on accordingly. Somewhat Damaged was cool for the same reason of lights are up and suddenly shit's happening (and the build through the song) but I think it works just as well (if not better) coming back on the upswing after the slow/visuals middle of the show, to pick things back up.
    I would actually like to hear opinions of people who've seen multiple opening/closing songs what they like the most and why. I love live show discussions since I became a fan right after the Fragility tour so I've only seen the post-sobriety NIN live.
    i like to hear this stuff too actually, some times someone brings something up that nobody else picked up on.
    i have been to every Toronto show (minus the club tour cause ya know its a pain to get tix) since Fragility 2.0 and have seen a few different openers and honestly, for me each one holds its own special memory but have not seen too many different closers.

and totally agreed, ITT with Zero-Sum piano outro is amazing. if NIN tours again, hopefully we get to see this closer

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    wow that 2005 setlist looks amazing, esp. compared to what we got on the last go round.
    Last edited by bobbie solo; 03-23-2016 at 01:02 AM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    So, Apple Music will provide a new platform for idiots like me who like to do mashups and remixes of songs all the time, and will let us post our shit without us being afraid of getting our asses sued or our tracks removed, like Soundcloud does.

http://www.digitaldjtips.com/2016/03...o-apple-music/

I don't know if Trent had a hand in this, but I as sure as hell hope so.
    I've submitted my HTDA remix and a couple of DJ mixes. I think I was one of the first wave to get an account. Exciting.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Here is my 2nd part of my new weekly-bi-weekly series of favorite albums in the form of... a NIN bootleg in Where Darkness Doubles, Where Light Pours In: http://thevoidgoround.blogspot.com/2...-darkness.html

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    Here is my 2nd part of my new weekly-bi-weekly series of favorite albums in the form of... a NIN bootleg in Where Darkness Doubles, Where Light Pours In: http://thevoidgoround.blogspot.com/2...-darkness.html
    Nice write up, its been years since ive listened to those tracks. I forgot how good those versions of HLAH and Sanity Assassin were, and I love Warm Leatherette too. Dreams with TV on the Radio was really haunting sounding IMO too.

Also, @thevoid99 , is the sound better on that bootleg than whats on the live archive?
    Last edited by SM Rollinger; 03-25-2016 at 04:45 PM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    Nice write up, its been years since ive listened to those tracks. I forgot how good those versions of HLAH and Sanity Assassin were, and I love Warm Leatherette too. Dreams with TV on the Radio was really haunting sounding IMO too.

Also, @thevoid99 , is the sound better on that bootleg than whats on the live archive?
    I don't know. I'm not much of an audiophile as I had a better version of it a long time ago but lost it in my old hard drive. I think it depends on the source.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Hey guys, if anyone is curious, this funny video shows song examples of a particular chord progression/root notes that may just be the most frequently used throughout Trent's career. I was talking about this a while back and I remember a guy was kind of curious about it too and said that some people thought Trent was losing it lol. Although, I think Trent is usually aware of what he does; I think he just likes these chords.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Since it's getting talked in NIN-Spotting and likely won't get to continue there since it's off-topic, I felt like mentioning how awesome Vrenna coming back to work with Trent on a new album would be. Vrenna has only gotten more interesting as far as his atmospheric side of things is considered, could bring an experimental edge into NIN that's been sorely missing since Year Zero for the band and would be able to maybe bring a bit of that old spark back that could result in something fresh yet familiar. I'd be more than open to it.

I also don't think it'd feel like trying to cash in on the past or anything since it's been so long, and if Trent can bring Robin back and it not be seen as that, then I wouldn't see what would be wrong with having Vrenna come in, even if it's just for studio work. I'd love to hear what he could bring to the table and see if he could help push Trent outside of his musical comfort zone -- something I really want to hear happen on the next album. I still really dig HM, but would love to hear the sound of the band push its own boundaries again.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    If the next album had some Autechre and Tuss influences, that would be amazing.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    My favorite moment of the entire TDS is during 'the becoming', the acoustic break. The riff, the backround harmonies, the whining machine noises and then the lyrics....its perfect. Still remember the first time i heard it. So unexpected.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nick999 View Post
    My favorite moment of the entire TDS is during 'the becoming', the acoustic break. The riff, the backround harmonies, the whining machine noises and then the lyrics....its perfect. Still remember the first time i heard it. So unexpected.
    Have never forgotten, either. Very late to the game. But some 10 years ago as a raging adolescent.
    Autumn. On an almost overcast day, seeing the tail end of a blurred sunset down the street, and the wind growing sharper in a matter of minutes.
    Same feeling comes back every time I hear it. Thanks for bringing this up, didn't realize anyone shared the same appreciation.
    Last edited by la_mer; 03-30-2016 at 07:58 AM.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nick999 View Post
    That might just be my favorite moment of all of NIN, in a gun-to-my-head sort of situation. Perfect example of Trent's ability to merge man with machine back when that's what NIN was more about. Really surprisingly cathartic in the middle of a song that couldn't be more vicious. Just perfection.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    I can't say which is better, the break, or the explosion back into the loud aggressive ending. I was so happy when it became a staple of the NIN|JA tour, and wish it would have stuck around for Tension.
    But I agree, one of the best moments in any NIN song.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sick among the pure View Post
    I can't say which is better, the break, or the explosion back into the loud aggressive ending. I was so happy when it became a staple of the NIN|JA tour, and wish it would have stuck around for Tension.
    But I agree, one of the best moments in any NIN song.
    God, I got so salty about the Soundgarden tour setlist when I saw that they'd completely dropped The Becoming after doing those incredible album-version performances in Europe. Finally seeing Burn and Eraser made me get over it, but goddamn, I would've probably traded both for TB with Robin on acoustic.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    This morning, while brushing teeth, I had a vision - right at this very moment, someone is setting up payment methods on page for new NIN material. :-) Just random thought.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Substance242 View Post
    This morning, while brushing teeth, I had a vision - right at this very moment, someone is setting up payment methods on page for new NIN material. :-) Just random thought.
    "do we need to make sure it works on day one?"
    "nahhhh"