Page 470 of 528 FirstFirst ... 370 420 460 468 469 470 471 472 480 520 ... LastLast
Results 14,071 to 14,100 of 15828

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Nine Inch Nails should do a Bowie cover album. I know they never will, but it would be amazing. The possibilities are endless. If The Flaming Lips can do Dark Side of the Moon and Sgt. Peppers in their entirety, why not?

Here would be my dream NIN Bowie cover album, songs that I think Trent could pull off vocally and that would fit NIN thematically:

Subterraneans
    Scary Monsters
    I'm Deranged
    Station to Station
    Blackstar
    If you can see me
    I Would Be Your Slave
    I'm Afraid of Americans
    Always Crashing in the Same Car
    I Can't Give Everything Away
    Time

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I've often dreamt of an album consisting of studio or at least rehearsal versions of the Bowie, Joy Division and Numan covers they've done live.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    Here would be my dream NIN Bowie cover album...
    Nice list, but you forgot 'Magic Dance'.
    Last edited by Tom; 11-05-2019 at 10:27 AM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Well, I think we know what Over and Out’s “I’ve always been ten years ahead of you” means.

from a recent interview in Forbes:

Reznor: Generally when I finish something, Downward Spiral comes to mind, as does I'd say the first three real albums — Pretty Hate Machine, Downward Spiral and TheFragile — when The Fragile came out I'd been working on it so long and loved it and I was heartbroken that people didn't like it. And the majority of the fans didn't like it, they complained it didn't sound like Downward Spiral. And it was kind of accentuated by the record label also, "Only sold 400,000 records first week." It was hard not to let that kind of creep into your sense of disappointment. Man, I wish my audience would have gone on the trip with me. And jump ahead a few years then, especially when it got to about the 10-year mark, all of a sudden everyone's favorite album is the one they didn't like.

We don’t KNOW for sure, but it’s right there. Same with Year Zero, where ten years ahead he predicted what would happen. It seems like he is reflecting on this and his legacy. It makes a lot of sense and it is a lot deeper than just “album anniversaries”. It’s going through the pain of rejection only to find out you were right all along and feeling vindicated.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    In one of the most recent articles Trent is asked about Billie Eilish. He mentions that he hasn't really listened to her music, but that Atticus has and kind of dug it, so he needs to look into it for himself.

I know I'm daydreaming here, but I would LOVE it if he gave her music a shot, liked it and tried to do something with her musically. Even if just one song. Billie is like ALMOST there for me, the lyrics can be a bit silly at times. But she's so young that I feel like it's not worth nitpicking over. Her image is cool as hell, her voice is wonderful and she seems willing to explore new sounds and try anything.

I feel like a bit of guidance from somebody like Trent would result in amazing growth for her, as well as her brother who shows a lot of promise in terms of his production work.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Another project I have often thought about that would be amazing would be Nine Inch Nails playing with an orchestra. Portishead did this, Flaming Lips, Metallica, and many others and it never gets old.

Perhaps they could do the Fragile that way? I feel like that album in particular would lend itself well to a symphony.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    Another project I have often thought about that would be amazing would be Nine Inch Nails playing with an orchestra. Portishead did this, Flaming Lips, Metallica, and many others and it never gets old.

Perhaps they could do the Fragile that way? I feel like that album in particular would lend itself well to a symphony.
    I feel like they'd have to deconstruct some songs. I'm not sure how I feel about Somewhat Damaged in its regular arrangement or live arrangement with an strings playing on it.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmcfly View Post
    I feel like they'd have to deconstruct some songs. I'm not sure how I feel about Somewhat Damaged in its regular arrangement or live arrangement with an strings playing on it.
    i think strings playing the guitar parts would be incredible in that song!
    @Max that portishead NYC album (and particularly the DVD of it) is one of my favorite live recordings ever. i especially love how the orchestra members are dressed casually.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    You reminded me of the Dimmu Borgir show at Wacken in 2012:

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Yeah, The Church did a concert like that and released an album/DVD of it called A Psychedelic Symphony. I think NIN could totally pull it off. It would be kind of like the Bridge School shows from 2006 and the 1999 MTV VMAs.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Perhaps it's because I actually haven't listened All Time Low for quite a while, but I've got to love it whenever I get caught off guard from that Final Fantasy sound.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Halo Infinity View Post
    that Final Fantasy sound
    Arpeggiators are cool.

Music is fun.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butter_hole View Post
    Same, NIN is so much more than a band to me. It's like asking which is my favourite child or something. This isn't just music.
    I just loved the way you put that. I really do.

I also came across the term "Deserted island band.", and now found an extra reason to also use that term to describe my adoration, gratitude and appreciation for Nine Inch Nails.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I hope one day Trent ends a show with The Background World. Curtains could close when the self-destructing loop kicks in and they could bring back the projections or have some freaky lightshow.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tap3worm View Post
    I hope one day Trent ends a show with The Background World. Curtains could close when the self-destructing loop kicks in and they could bring back the projections or have some freaky lightshow.
    actually I've been dreaming about that since the day it was released. this would be absolutely the best.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Imagine staying there, frozen, for 10 minutes after they left. ga

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    That would be great. Instead of ending the show, though, they could come back out and perform stripped down versions of a NIN track or two for the end using simple lighting. Something like simple flood lights or hanging (miner) lights so it looks like there was a malfunction with the entire presentation. You could chop up the loop to make it even more glitchy and shorten the time. Since I'm already dreaming, they could come out and play a TR+AR score song or two instead.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I don't think I'll ever get enough of The Downward Spiral and The Fragile as far as proper listens and binges go. They're often the very first two albums I listen to, and have been for the past 17 years. I don't even remember binging on Nine Inch Nails without at least sitting through The Downward Spiral and The Fragile first, even if it was for just several songs at a time. It's as if I'd have to go through those albums first during any proper listen and/or binge of Nine Inch Nails.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Just realised it's been 5 years since I last saw NIN live. Fuuuck. I think I'm going to have to hold my nose and book a festival if that's the next he announces.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    The Life You Didn't Lead has some of Trent's best lyrics ever. Such a shame the song was never released. I'd love to hear it.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    So I'm listening to an ambient Brian Eno album right now and the background music that was just added to The NIN Hotline page started playing. Naturally, I freaked the fuck out. Like, how did this music suddenly end up with this new layer that I don't remember it having? LOL. Then I realized that those strains from "The New Flesh" sound really cool enmeshed with the Eno shit.
    Last edited by piggy; 11-21-2019 at 04:07 AM.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    so i'm listening to an ambient brian eno album right now and the background music that was just added to the nin hotline page started playing. Naturally, i freaked the fuck out. Like, how did this music suddenly up with this new layer that i don't remember it having? Lol. Then i realized that those strains from "the new flesh" sound really cool enmeshed with the eno shit.
    yesssssssssssssss

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Whenever the inevitable film about Trump/Russia/Ukraine comes out, I hope Trent and Atticus do the score. I feel like their music can take a film about that so much more tense. Also I hope Fincher directs it.
    Last edited by ryanmcfly; 11-21-2019 at 11:33 AM.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmcfly View Post
    Whenever the inevitable film about Trump/Russia/Ukraine comes out, I hope Trent and Atticus do the score. I feel like their music can take a film about that so much more tense. Also I hope Fincher directs it.
    They need to hurry, then, before our government bans it, like it bans everything it cannot make money from

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Suddenly busy in nin land

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I think most of you will agree...it's a pretty awesome time to be a NIN fan (not so much for my accounts)

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    I think most of you will agree...it's a pretty awesome time to be a NIN fan (not so much for my accounts)
    *Purchased limited edition of Billy Corgan's new album immediately before becoming aware that the Bird Box DE, With Teeth, and now Waves have all just dropped*

*Watches Watchmen Vol. 2 drop as well, still hasn't picked up the first volume yet*

*Ralph Wiggum smile*

My life is hell right now.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    It's interesting how the last ever reference to a machine in Trent's lyrics is in Somewhat Damaged. Pretty Hate Machine was the first album, then the lyric "machine" shows up several times on Broken and TDS.

It's like he's threw away some past self with the Fragile era and never looked back.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Random discovery while listening to things on random: While I'm Still Here merges into the Morris / Gilbert Zero Sum remix extremely well. Line 'em up and try it out for yourself.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    it took me awhile to listen to bw in it's entirety and even though i thought it was great, i hadn't revisited it until today. "over and out" is my favorite closer now. it's so funky and even danceable. it's refreshing to hear a nin album end on a note like that, rather than a slow burner.