Page 384 of 512 FirstFirst ... 284 334 374 382 383 384 385 386 394 434 484 ... LastLast
Results 11,491 to 11,520 of 15828

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    I'd like it on both, and probably some record company is going to want to cash in with a boxed set containing this, so..
    Thing is, it's released via Sacred Bones and they're not an evil capitalistic money grabbing label, they just do ~cool stuff~. So maybe not

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    Fixed this for you.
    The second I get a CD I digitize it and it lives in the cloud where I can enjoy in my car stereo, home system, cell phone, friends' house, etc...then the CD becomes a frisbee or a coaster. I did enjoy CDs back in the 1990s, but with modern tech I prefer digital when I'm on the go. When I'm home in my man cave, where I've invested in a very decent turntable system, I think I'm on board with Trent on this one. I enjoy holding the artwork and physically flipping vinyl because it draws me into the experience more. Vinyl is great if you can afford a nice system and you enjoy sitting down and blocking out the rest of the world for a few minutes.

But, I totally hope it comes out on CD for the people that still like CDs! Sorry though, you didn't fix my comment...to me you just made a typo.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nihilmatters View Post
    ...then the CD becomes a frisbee or a coaster...
    You know what, vinyl frisbees are better than CD, too - they're heavier, they'll fly farther, what are you trying to prove here?

But, I totally hope it comes out on CD for the people that still like CDs!
    It's not really a matter of pleasing people who "like" a certain media for their music. It's about getting the most value out of one's purchase. I personally think now that i'd rather buy soundtracks (such as Patriots Day and BTF) as pure downloads - if there was a definitive place that had them all, preferably nin.com shop. But nin.com shop is not so user-friendly unfortunately. So i didn't buy there. "Official" site doesn't even offer external links to where to buy what. I'd like one place to go and shop for music i like - but it's a risk that next release is not sold in a shop where i'm registered, or the rights expire, or some other b u l l s h i t. So i prefer CD as a "safety measure". If i get one, i get A - music, B - hard copy, C - independence from online services. I obviously don't speak for all "people that still like CDs", i just have reasons to not look down on them as a group of paying customers.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Branches/Bones may be my new favorite EP/Album opener from NIN.

Mentioned
    277 Post(s)
    After seeing the Houston poster, I was hoping to get a new song debuted at Day For Night.

Quote Originally Posted by mauro995 View Post
    I love that everything thats going on about the I Can't Seem To Wake Up tour seems to be an improvement from previous years, even stupid things, like Trent's wardrobe for this tour is my favorite one since Downward Spiral.

Can an I get an id on his leather jacket of this tour. Damn, it’s sick.

Quote Originally Posted by HWB View Post
    Branches/Bones may be my new favorite EP/Album opener from NIN.
    Besides “Somewhat Damaged” opening in 2006. I would have to agree 100%.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninlive View Post
    After seeing the Houston poster, I was hoping to get a new song debuted at Day For Night.

Can an I get an id on his leather jacket of this tour. Damn, it’s sick.

Besides “Somewhat Damaged” opening in 2006. I would have to agree 100%.
    Somewhat Damaged is the theme where I'm at right now with the damn holiday season. It's getting harder to deal with every year.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    Somewhat Damaged is the theme where I'm at right now with the damn holiday season. It's getting harder to deal with every year.
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    every one i know goes away in the end
    You OK, dude? Stay positive, please.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    You OK, dude? Stay positive, please.
    thanks. i'm living a pretty tortured existence because a severe medical issue. all of my joints are slowly being destroyed by RA. i've been fighting it a long time & this year has had a severe decline. the holiday season is like throwing a geometric progression on it. some of the drugs they give me turn off my immune system & i've been sick for 3 months with pneumonia/sinus infection etc on top of the normal crap i live with. past few years i've gone to vegas @ xmas to hide out. this year, not well enough. i went down there in october for the nin show with pneumonia. glad i went to show but got sicker after the show & the trip wasn't good. right now, looks like i have to do some severe spine surgery early 2018. risky but the RA is attacking my spine & something needs to be done. the spine stuff is pretty recent development. after that, it appears i'm going to have to retire on disability. that's been on the table for over 5 years but i had fought to keep going. i'm losing that now. so ya, i'm pretty depressed. RA isn't cancer but the version i have is pretty damn close. i have to do cancer drugs just to try & slow it down. its a long & torturous ride. do appreciate your concern.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    ^ I'm aware, but they probably won't license it for free. So the most economical thing is probably for a bigger label to throw it (and the other stray tracks listed above) on as a bonus track in a big TR+AR box set. Someday...

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Since the removal of the forums and user remix, I hardly ever go to the nin.com site.

If they do another tour, “Closer” should be preformed in the full-length album version.

It would be great to hear them perform “I Can’t Give Everything Away” and “This Isn’t The Place” back to back.

They should pick one show and perform all the (non-ghosts) songs in the library that have never been done live before.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Channard View Post

They should pick one show and perform all the (non-ghosts) songs in the library that have never been done live before.
    A 30 song set with no flow and most people in attendance wouldn't know half of them?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    A 30 song set with no flow and most people in attendance wouldn't know half of them?
    Yeah, I have to agree. As much as I'd like to see more tracks performed, I don't think playing them all in the same show is the way to go.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Eeh, not all my ideas can be winners.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    I really wish Trent would pull a Bowie move and play a Greatest Hits tour to retire them the fuck away and then do a tour with only new stuff + super deep cuts and previously unplayed shit.
    I was recently reading a fan-made Outside Tour book/chronology and there was a quote from Bowie he made at one TV appearance. He said that whoever went to see him on Outside tour and then complained about the lack of old hits must've been living under a rock for five years and he was absolutely right. With proper advertising it's possible to bring a number of people who don't know the songs to a bare minimum.
    Last edited by fillow; 12-22-2017 at 02:53 PM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    I really wish Trent would... play a Greatest Hits tour
    This is the norm, though. There are a bunch of songs that are played almost every night alongside a smattering of new stuff with a few lesser-played tracks thrown in for good measure.

NIN is already a relatively niche band. Attendance would be awful if they stopped playing the songs that your average concert-goer wants to hear. People expect to hear Wish, HLAH, Closer when they go to see NIN. They don't want to hear Find My Way or The Lovers. The community we have here is comprised of hardcore fans who would kill to have a setlist only made up of deep cuts. But the truth is that NIN is a money-making venture just as much as it is an artistic endeavour. He's comprising sets from what he believes is his best (and most popular) material across an almost 30-year discography. As much as I roll my eyes at the intro to Gave Up, I still get into the song and enjoy it; it's still a good song. And even if we've all heard it to death at this point, there'll be someone in the crowd who'll be hearing it for the first time that night.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    every one i know goes away in the end

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    All this talk of performing Deep Cuts reminds me that I still want to hear "Where Is Everybody?".

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    watching live beside you in time for first time in quite awhile. what a great tour that was. the production was phenomenal. i must say though that i really prefer the current live band. stripped down & dirty. it looks like another year of mainly festival gigs. would much rather see an arena/theater tour. the festival thing is a smart move though. most of the production costs are covered & publicity, etc. iggy pop has made plenty of hay touring like that. makes more sense for him though since he is getting up there in age. trent is still plenty young. maybe he is waiting until he gets a whole new album out before committing to a full on headline tour.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Oh no, you're not being redundant, I was just recalling that I had seen something. I didn't mind getting a better picture of what you're going through.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Now that xmas is over I know what's safe to buy myself off store.nin.com
    Got a nice heavy beanie that I might get that long skinny Add Violence patch for, too.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    I was driving home from my best friend's house a few nights ago and I had NTAE playing in my car. I realized that "She's Gone Away" has such a super warm analog sound to it. The production has such a thick, meaty quality that makes it feel like more like a nice old vinyl than a CD or digital file. Such a great song. One of my new favorites.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Thinking of springing for Broken now that U.K. Retailers are selling the new vinyl for 30% less than the NIN store. I already have it but not that sweet 7".

Must be in a spendy mood; picked up a copy of ghosts deluxe finally after nearly 10 years!
    Last edited by jmtd; 12-27-2017 at 01:35 AM.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)

This was completely unintentional, I swear

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    "The Great Below" is one of the best songs ever written.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kulerage View Post
    Definitely one of the best NIN songs ever written. It's right up there with Hurt, Something I Can Never Have as far as "that type of song" goes. I am not sure why it doesn't get played at shows.
    First time I saw them live was on the fragility tour. They played this song and it was entirely epic. The upside down body diving into the water on the 3 screens as the songs hit the climax...Masterful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kulerage View Post
    Such a beautiful song. It's one of those songs that I think becomes a gem for a new nin listener when they come across it and study it. I was revisiting Radiohead's Hail to the Thief last night and I couldn't get over how great A Wolf at the Door is, which is the last song on that album. It reminded me of the kind of feeling I get when i listen to The Great Below in the sense of mastery and beauty - not so much the context or meaning of what the song could mean. It made me think that it was moments like that, which make listening to music so magical.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    that is one of my favorite parts from the live DVD.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    “Memorabilia” would work so perfectly with the current tour setlist.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    If Trent ever decided to substitute ”Closer” with “Closer to God” for a live show, I’d probably lose my shit (just like an animal).

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    If Trent ever decided to substitute ”Closer” with “Closer to God” for a live show, I’d probably lose my shit (just like an animal).
    He did! In 1995. If only it lasted longer.