Page 280 of 528 FirstFirst ... 180 230 270 278 279 280 281 282 290 330 380 ... LastLast
Results 8,371 to 8,400 of 15828

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Hurry up Trent.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    I just hope whatever the next album is that it's genuinely surprising. There's a very specific type of sound that's been present on everything from maybe Year Zero on that he's been involved with that, while I love, I'd love to see a departure from. NIN's at it's best when it's unpredictable and surprising and pushing into new territory. I still love Hesitation Marks, but it didn't really push into new territory much at all -- it hit all the notes I'd expect out of a NIN album, without a ton of fresh air breathed though. I'm fine with what "typical modern NIN" is but would just love to see things really get shaken up again.

I remember saying before how much I wanted a whole album in that Tetsuo-style of strangeness with big brass instruments, loud industrial sections and that general almost "orchestral" way of putting things together, just tons of Tetsuo/Driver Down-ish material since we've yet to ever see those spaces explored heavily, but I highly doubt it's what we'll be getting. I'm pretty prepared to get more of the same but would just love to be really, really caught of guard and hear something that challenges what NIN's supposed to be (and, yes, clearly I am discussing a Christian country rock album with heavy features from Toby Keith and T-Pain).

It's extremely odd to say and I'm sure most people here wouldn't agree in the least or maybe get what I'm trying to get at, but for me sonically Kanye West's Yeezus felt more like an advancement of the "NIN sound" in 2013 than Hesitation Marks did, which sounds very ... familiar? Just, space that Trent has explored pretty well before and knows very intimately. I'd just love for the next NIN album to feel like a blast from the future rather than a reminder of how things are. Trent's at his most interesting when he's really seeing how far out he can take NIN into a certain area, and I don't think he's really done that heavy since Ghosts (and the one-off Tetsuo theme), and even then other than the fact that it's all instrumental I don't think Ghosts does a whole lot that's out of the typical wheelhouse for him.

There's flashes of something different and fresh in The Slip and HM -- Demon Seed got a little out there, While I'm Still Here/Black Noise is unbelievable, All Time Low gets a little weird in a Fragile (Right) kind of way, Everything was, whether you like it or not, a real attempt at something different and I like the way it feels, In Two seemed like a real advancement of "classic" NIN fused into a modern space, but a lot of the album -- stuff like Disappointed, Satellite, I Would For You, Various Methods of Escape -- no matter how great some of those are, they still are very "comfortable." VMoE is probably one of the hardest-hitting songs and really impacting, but at the same time follows the typical modern NIN thing to a tee, all the way down to "really loud now really quiet then soft whispered bridge then really loud again" which In Two also follows. People called Came Back Haunted a little too "standard NIN" but at least sound-wise there was something there that felt more risky and edged on really going "out there" to an extent.

I just really want an album from Trent again that I listen to and feel challenged by, whereas I don't think any album he's done, be it with NIN or HTDA, has really challenged me since Year Zero, which was a really successful attempt at pushing things in a unique direction. His scorework has been more surprising and that's just weird to me to think that a movie score would be more out there and surprising for me (things like The Way He Looks At Me or Clue Two on Gone Girl for instance) than Nine Inch Nails or an end-of-the-world technopocalyptic electronic album like Welcome Oblivion. At the moment I don't mind, but I really don't want "new NIN" to make me go "Oh, cool, more of that thing" rather than get really enthusiastically intrigued and excited to have my mind blown again.
    Last edited by implanted_microchip; 05-16-2016 at 08:00 AM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Waiting for Ghosts V-VIII....

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    I just hope whatever the next album is that it's genuinely surprising. There's a very specific type of sound that's been present on everything from maybe Year Zero on that he's been involved with that, while I love, I'd love to see a departure from. NIN's at it's best when it's unpredictable and surprising and pushing into new territory. I still love Hesitation Marks, but it didn't really push into new territory much at all -- it hit all the notes I'd expect out of a NIN album, without a ton of fresh air breathed though. I'm fine with what "typical modern NIN" is but would just love to see things really get shaken up again.

I remember saying before how much I wanted a whole album in that Tetsuo-style of strangeness with big brass instruments, loud industrial sections and that general almost "orchestral" way of putting things together, just tons of Tetsuo/Driver Down-ish material since we've yet to ever see those spaces explored heavily, but I highly doubt it's what we'll be getting. I'm pretty prepared to get more of the same but would just love to be really, really caught of guard and hear something that challenges what NIN's supposed to be (and, yes, clearly I am discussing a Christian country rock album with heavy features from Toby Keith and T-Pain).

It's extremely odd to say and I'm sure most people here wouldn't agree in the least or maybe get what I'm trying to get at, but for me sonically Kanye West's Yeezus felt more like an advancement of the "NIN sound" in 2013 than Hesitation Marks did, which sounds very ... familiar? Just, space that Trent has explored pretty well before and knows very intimately. I'd just love for the next NIN album to feel like a blast from the future rather than a reminder of how things are. Trent's at his most interesting when he's really seeing how far out he can take NIN into a certain area, and I don't think he's really done that heavy since Ghosts (and the one-off Tetsuo theme), and even then other than the fact that it's all instrumental I don't think Ghosts does a whole lot that's out of the typical wheelhouse for him.

There's flashes of something different and fresh in The Slip and HM -- Demon Seed got a little out there, While I'm Still Here/Black Noise is unbelievable, All Time Low gets a little weird in a Fragile (Right) kind of way, Everything was, whether you like it or not, a real attempt at something different and I like the way it feels, In Two seemed like a real advancement of "classic" NIN fused into a modern space, but a lot of the album -- stuff like Disappointed, Satellite, I Would For You, Various Methods of Escape -- no matter how great some of those are, they still are very "comfortable." VMoE is probably one of the hardest-hitting songs and really impacting, but at the same time follows the typical modern NIN thing to a tee, all the way down to "really loud now really quiet then soft whispered bridge then really loud again" which In Two also follows. People called Came Back Haunted a little too "standard NIN" but at least sound-wise there was something there that felt more risky and edged on really going "out there" to an extent.

I just really want an album from Trent again that I listen to and feel challenged by, whereas I don't think any album he's done, be it with NIN or HTDA, has really challenged me since Year Zero, which was a really successful attempt at pushing things in a unique direction. His scorework has been more surprising and that's just weird to me to think that a movie score would be more out there and surprising for me (things like The Way He Looks At Me or Clue Two on Gone Girl for instance) than Nine Inch Nails or an end-of-the-world technopocalyptic electronic album like Welcome Oblivion. At the moment I don't mind, but I really don't want "new NIN" to make me go "Oh, cool, more of that thing" rather than get really enthusiastically intrigued and excited to have my mind blown again.
    This is a great post. It hits basically everything I'm thinking about NIN. I love the "typical" songs you listed (VMOE, et al) but it's because they ARE so comfortable. For these reasons, I will always look forward to where the next HTDA will go vs. NIN because it's way less predictable. WO succeeds in a lot of ways HM feels stale and overdone.

There are still decisions – mixing, sequencing, lyrically – that shock me on TDS and TF. Still. After this long! Fuck. The longevity is in truly going out where no one is comfortable. Yes, that may be difficult these days, but I have zero doubts TR could assemble a group who could; but will he? Or will it just be he and Atticus sitting around picking the same old loops out of the same improvs? The ground needs a serious shaking up.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Anyone think the birthday boy might pull a Bowie tomorrow?

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FULLMETAL View Post
    I like the way you think.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Imagine how annoyed I was to have my phone send a notification saying 'new NIN album' only for it to be amazon hawking a repackaged Woodstock thing called 'mudstock'. Grrrr
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01...UUL&ref=plSrch
    Who the fuck are Zip City who own the copyright?

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FULLMETAL View Post
    Well, nothing yet.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I like the way you think.
    As long as he's healthy...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    GPM sometimes overuses the Explicit tag. Fucking.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    The main riffs in Demon Seed are awesome, and even more awesome when you're hammered and playing them on acoustic.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    The 3:18 mark in "The Great Collapse":

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blassster View Post
    GPM sometimes overuses the Explicit tag. Fucking.

Pilgrimage eh?

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    So anyway, I'm loving all this new NIN in 2016. What's your favourite track so far?

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    So anyway, I'm loving all this new NIN in 2016. What's your favourite track so far?
    Everything (Instrumental)

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    I'm actually quite enjoying seeing photos of Mills' individual art shards from Cargo in the Blood pop up over on this fan-run Facebook page, they are slowly amassing an image of the original piece by piece.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    This guy shared a link on Facebook saying "TRENT REZNOR PROMISES NEW NIN IN 2016" and I got all fucking hyped, only to see it was from DECEMBER and was quoting Trent's tweet from that month about new material. That article is literally over 6 months old. Read before you post. You fuck.

In other news, only 6 months left in 2016! WOO! SOON.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    We are a sad but loyal bunch.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I have been wondering how I would have felt if All The Love In The World also had the question "How do you get all the love in the world?" instead. I probably would have related to it just a little bit more. It inevitably and naturally also lead me to insert "Who? What? & When?" into the question as well.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Perhaps Trent will make an announcement tomorrow - the date is 6/6/16...

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Perhaps Trent will make an announcement tomorrow - the date is 6/6/16...
    I think it will be sometime after the apple wwdc thing June 13-17th? I imagine that's been taking up time

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    I have been wondering how I would have felt if All The Love In The World also had the question "How do you get all the love in the world?" instead. I probably would have related to it just a little bit more. It inevitably and naturally also lead me to insert "Who? What? & When?" into the question as well.
    I always considered the way the question is asked to be the strongest possible. Why implies you might even know the hows, yet it's still someone else who gets it, despite you two doing the same thing. How would make the question practical, implying there is an answer on how to be loved or being able to feel loved, while why is much more depressing. How would only mean you are a newbie, you don't have experience in this. Why says you tried, you really tried, but you just don't understand what's wrong.

The song is funky as fuck, but radiates a feeling of chronic help- and hopelessness.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WorzelG View Post
    I think it will be sometime after the apple wwdc thing June 13-17th? I imagine that's been taking up time
    It's always possible they announce the album during the conference (an Apple Music exclusive, no doubt).

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    I always considered the way the question is asked to be the strongest possible. Why implies you might even know the hows, yet it's still someone else who gets it, despite you two doing the same thing. How would make the question practical, implying there is an answer on how to be loved or being able to feel loved, while why is much more depressing. How would only mean you are a newbie, you don't have experience in this. Why says you tried, you really tried, but you just don't understand what's wrong.

The song is funky as fuck, but radiates a feeling of chronic help- and hopelessness.
    I've always felt the "why do you" refers to himself, at least for part of the song, He's asking why he is so loved by his fans and yet he feels so isolated and alone. Then in the latter half he come to grips with this, and the upbeat music represents him finally embracing it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Three years ago today.

Last edited by Microwave Jellyfish; 06-06-2016 at 09:08 AM. Reason: just. can't. embed. you-tu-tu-ube vids

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    a little bit disappointing day for me...
    not my style

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    "New NIN coming in 2016. Other stuff, too."

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Honestly I don't mind waiting as long as it means that there's an album being worked on for a longer period of time than the past few. I've said on here on many occasions that I don't dislike any NIN records but that it's hitting a point where, after Hesitation Marks, if it keeps following the same production style, song structure, tropes and general presentation method then it's going to get a little stale for me, and a thing I've definitely noticed is that aside from Year Zero, none of the albums that have been made in the past decade that have had such a relatively quick production cycle (at least as far as NIN is concerned) have been close to as impacting, as lasting or as just generally spell-binding for me as things like With Teeth or The Fragile are.

I don't want Trent to be pulling teeth in the studio, but I would just like to hear something that had more than a year or less of work put into it. I'm really interested in what a NIN record would sound like now with a longer gestation period considering we really have no idea what kind of thing Trent would put out nowadays if he took more time on something again. I mean, I like The Slip, but it's territory I never want to go back to again and as a one-off I don't mind but more along those lines would just really turn me off heavily. Hesitation Marks had some interesting and unique DNA to it and yet I still feel like there's things that, especially now distanced from it by time, seem to really hold it back a lot -- there's a lot of songs that sound like they start to break into some new and vivid territory but then get sort of suffocated by the "typical" NIN production style.

I honestly feel like the same people have been involved for too long at this point and would just love a new NIN project with a totally new group of people in studio with Trent, but I know better than to ever expect that to happen. That's a big part of why I probably don't find HTDA terribly interesting or unique to me -- it still "sounds" the same to my ears, production-wise, approach-wise, structurally, stylistically, what have you -- it just sounds a whole lot like a quieter Year Zero to me, which I don't mind and I do often like, but it doesn't get me excited even remotely quite like the prospects of another NIN record that goes in a radically different direction does.

I'm in a very strict minority but songs like Everything and Running honestly interest me a million times more than a song like I Would For You (which, far and away, left me colder than almost any other HM song) because they just don't sound like what I expect out of Trent. I love it when NIN takes me to new places. I just get this recurring feeling that there's a comfort zone Trent and Co. don't push themselves out of anymore in the studio, which disappoints me to say. And then when fan reactions to those moments that do go out there into stranger lands are so toxic and so over-reactive, and so clearly make TR take note -- that makes me extremely cynical about the idea that we'll really be getting anything particularly unusual. Something like Tetsuo is a million times more exciting than Copy of a is for me (and honestly the live performances of Copy of a have more or less flattened the album cut for me and I never get the charge from it that I used to; especially that festival/2014 setup -- that, to me, brought to life everything that, in studio, is more or less seething beneath the surface the entire time).

Oddly enough though, I adore Came Back Haunted, and part of why is that it absolutely is somewhat typical NIN, but it sounds like there's a true energy and life flowing through its veins there. There's a charge to it that I don't hear on something like 1,000,000 (which might be my absolute least-favorite "modern era" NIN song).

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    kleiner vaginer

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    I'm not even on this forum anymore for Nine Inch Nails' past music. That phase of my life seems to be over. But I still like reading/hearing about NIN... and having dreams of new NIN music......and there's always a chance that I'll like new NIN music.