Page 483 of 485 FirstFirst ... 383 433 473 481 482 483 484 485 LastLast
Results 14,461 to 14,490 of 14541

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

  1. #14461
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    260
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The thing that matters to me when it comes to Trent continuing to tour is that he wants to do it. Though he doesn't perform as insane and intensely as he did back in the 90s, you can still feel and see that passion he has for performing. That's what struck me when I first saw NIN in 2018. Not only does Trent still sound great, you can see how he's just feeling the performance with his little dances and what not. And I'm all for that. The moment it stops being fun or it's too difficult for him to tour, that's when he should stop. As long as he's still enjoying it, bring it on.

  2. #14462
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    565
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HWB View Post
    Together may be one of the best ambient albums I have ever heard.
    Same for Locusts but for Dark Ambient.

  3. #14463
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    4,391
    Mentioned
    266 Post(s)
    So when Deviations was announced it was in the middle of the vinyl resurgence and physical components and for $80 everyone was really excited because for that price point everyone was itching to see what else was going to be included in the package that Trent wasn't telling us. Ended up being 4 records in cereal box cardboard. It came damaged (shock) and I had to get a new jacket shipped to me. I ended up selling it a week later for $75 (i didn't have a turntable at the time).

    Anyways I wanted it again so I bought it sealed on discogs for $55 shipped, it's what it should be priced on the site but i'm really excited to listen to it again.
    Last edited by tony.parente; 07-15-2020 at 11:08 AM.

  4. #14464
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    9,528
    Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    So when Deviations was announced it was in the middle of the vinyl resurgence and physical components and for $80 everyone was really excited because for that price point everyone was itching to see what else was going to be included in the package that Trent wasn't telling us. Ended up being 4 records in cereal box cardboard. It came damaged (shock) and I had to get a new jacket shipped to me. I ended up selling it a week later for $75 (i didn't have a turntable at the time).

    Anyways I wanted it again so I bought it sealed on discogs for $55 shipped, it's what it should be priced on the site but i'm really excited to listen to it again.
    believe me, we were all disappointed in the physical package, but the music honestly made up for it. it's so good.

  5. #14465
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    1,648
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    You know, given how meticulous TR has always been with packaging, why do we think he gave Deviations such shitty packaging treatment?

  6. #14466
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    4,391
    Mentioned
    266 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    believe me, we were all disappointed in the physical package, but the music honestly made up for it. it's so good.
    I'm happy i'm getting it for what it's worth, i'm not getting ripped off this time and my heart is warm haha

  7. #14467
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Peoria, Illinois
    Posts
    2,077
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    You know, given how meticulous TR has always been with packaging, why do we think he gave Deviations such shitty packaging treatment?
    To keep the price down. You can argue whether or not it was a fair price point to begin with but it was $80 for 4 vinyl and a NIN-themed Cracker Jack box.

  8. #14468
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    4,391
    Mentioned
    266 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    To keep the price down. You can argue whether or not it was a fair price point to begin with but it was $80 for 4 vinyl and a NIN-themed Cracker Jack box.
    Its even harder to swallow when the bird box 4 vinyl set has the packaging that it has for $80.

  9. #14469
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    LI, NY
    Posts
    2,474
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Random nin thought: man that guitar solo in ruiner is groovy

  10. #14470
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,159
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    Random nin thought: man that guitar solo in ruiner is groovy
    Am I remembering correctly that that was yet another moment he played and was like, "Fuck it, something like this, but I'll have someone better do it again later" and then never did? He wanted something Pink Floydish, but not so shitty, and then stuck with his own take?

  11. #14471
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    191
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    Am I remembering correctly that that was yet another moment he played and was like, "Fuck it, something like this, but I'll have someone better do it again later" and then never did? He wanted something Pink Floydish, but not so shitty, and then stuck with his own take?
    From NINWiki:

    The bridge of this song features a rare guitar solo by Reznor. In the April 1994 issue of Guitar World, he was asked about it in the following section of the interview:

    GW: I wanted to ask you about the solo in "Ruiner." How did you get that really nasty, ultra-quantized sound?

    REZNOR: Ah yes, the great, Pink Floyd-esque, Seventies-sounding section of the song. That's just a preset on the Zoom. I think I accidentally called up the wrong patch. I'm not a soloist. I was just laughing when I was playing with this ridiculous sound, recording into the computer saying like, "This is so cheesy," you know? I later realized that I basically tried to play a "Comfortably Numb"-type solo with this sound. I played the song for Chris, our drummer, and I was thinking, "He's going to start laughing. It's silly." But he goes, "Man, that guitar section was fucking great."

  12. #14472
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,159
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyract View Post
    From NINWiki:

    The bridge of this song features a rare guitar solo by Reznor. In the April 1994 issue of Guitar World, he was asked about it in the following section of the interview:

    GW: I wanted to ask you about the solo in "Ruiner." How did you get that really nasty, ultra-quantized sound?

    REZNOR: Ah yes, the great, Pink Floyd-esque, Seventies-sounding section of the song. That's just a preset on the Zoom. I think I accidentally called up the wrong patch. I'm not a soloist. I was just laughing when I was playing with this ridiculous sound, recording into the computer saying like, "This is so cheesy," you know? I later realized that I basically tried to play a "Comfortably Numb"-type solo with this sound. I played the song for Chris, our drummer, and I was thinking, "He's going to start laughing. It's silly." But he goes, "Man, that guitar section was fucking great."
    I stupidly thought that recollection was too conjectural to appear in NINWiki. Never doubt the Wiki. Never.

  13. #14473
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    541
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyract View Post
    From NINWiki:

    The bridge of this song features a rare guitar solo by Reznor. In the April 1994 issue of Guitar World, he was asked about it in the following section of the interview:

    GW: I wanted to ask you about the solo in "Ruiner." How did you get that really nasty, ultra-quantized sound?

    REZNOR: Ah yes, the great, Pink Floyd-esque, Seventies-sounding section of the song. That's just a preset on the Zoom. I think I accidentally called up the wrong patch. I'm not a soloist. I was just laughing when I was playing with this ridiculous sound, recording into the computer saying like, "This is so cheesy," you know? I later realized that I basically tried to play a "Comfortably Numb"-type solo with this sound. I played the song for Chris, our drummer, and I was thinking, "He's going to start laughing. It's silly." But he goes, "Man, that guitar section was fucking great."
    My favorite part of that interview:

    GW: Is that Adrian doing the thrash power chording on that song?
    REZNOR: No, that's me. Ol' Lightning Fingers.

  14. #14474
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    58
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I was today old when I discovered NIN did a live cover of Sex Dwarf. Wish there was a studio version but given I thought there wasn't one at all I'm pretty happy.

  15. #14475
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,627
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah_Munn View Post
    I was today old when I discovered NIN did a live cover of Sex Dwarf. Wish there was a studio version but given I thought there wasn't one at all I'm pretty happy.
    Well, then, did you see the excerpts from the studio version they were working on c.1994? See 20:23 here:


  16. #14476
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    58
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    @TheBang I did, just wish it had been formally released. It's such a fun and filthy song a proper NIN cover would have been amazing.

  17. #14477
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    4,391
    Mentioned
    266 Post(s)
    With Teeth is so good man. I hope we get one more straightforward rock record from nin before they call it a day.

  18. #14478
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Belarus
    Posts
    3,315
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Trent is a really popular name in the last few years for anyone who follows Premier League or European football in general.
    Go Reds!

  19. #14479
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    565
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    With Teeth is so good man. I hope we get one more straightforward rock record from nin before they call it a day.
    I kinda find it funny we call With_Teeth a "straight-forward" rock album, when you consider how diverse the album actually is. I do kinda get the sentiment, it is the album which is full of punches and moves at a very fast pace, like a bullet, with really aggressive song-writting, but still, when you look at each song. It covered a lot of new grounds for NIN in general where Trent made some of the most minimal songs up to that point to the point some songs were close to being Punk or Garage Rock (Collector, Getting Smaller) amongst other things

  20. #14480
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ario
    Posts
    4,493
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Gosh, I love Fixed. That's it. That's the random NIN thought.

  21. #14481
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,159
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HWB View Post
    I kinda find it funny we call With_Teeth a "straight-forward" rock album, when you consider how diverse the album actually is. I do kinda get the sentiment, it is the album which is full of punches and moves at a very fast pace, like a bullet, with really aggressive song-writting, but still, when you look at each song. It covered a lot of new grounds for NIN in general where Trent made some of the most minimal songs up to that point to the point some songs were close to being Punk or Garage Rock (Collector, Getting Smaller) amongst other things
    Please, go on! Specifically about the new ground covered. I've never considered it in that way.

    I don't disagree with anything you're saying, but in my brain I file With Teeth away as the most radio-friendly pop album Trent has ever produced and have just sort of let it sit there. I certainly haven't looked to it for... innovation? Or maybe I'm just very tired right now and not thinking with my whole brain? I always thought it was weird that he described With Teeth as "unfixed" and in opposition to all the radio records of the era since I really feel like nothing else he did before or after has the same...sheen of popular presentability?

    Don't get me wrong, I love the album—it's not my favorite thing Nine Inch Nails has done, but it's far from my least favorite. It's got a Morrison Hotel effect on me: only when I look at the songs one at a time do I realize how much I like the world as a whole. Something like Spiral I can look at from a distance and say, "Yeah, absolutely, impressive record." Okay, I clearly am very tired right now. Though that is how I feel, notwithstanding the fact that I'm not at all sure the last paragraph makes sense outside of my head.

    The record is certainly diverse, though, in one particular way for me: "The Hand That Feeds" and "Not So Pretty Now" are maybe my least favorite things Nine Inch Nails has ever done, while "All the Love in the World" is in the God-Tier for me, and "Right Where It Belongs" and "Beside You in Time" are close behind. That being said, there's not a song that feels out of place on the LP—even the B-sides. Incredibly consistent production?

    Anyways, I've just never sat and thought about it from the perspective of new ground covered for Nine Inch Nails and think it would be an interesting argument to hear.

  22. #14482
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ario
    Posts
    4,493
    Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    I file With Teeth away as the most radio-friendly pop album Trent has ever produced
    Rumours is also the most radio-friendly Fleetwood Mac album (and happens to be their best, also).

    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    I always thought it was weird that he described With Teeth as "unfixed" and in opposition to all the radio records of the era since I really feel like nothing else he did before or after has the same...sheen of popular presentability?
    Melodic hooks and heavy beats don't cover over the noise and grit on that record.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    Anyways, I've just never sat and thought about it from the perspective of new ground covered for Nine Inch Nails and think it would be an interesting argument to hear.
    Far as I know, it's the first and only NIN studio record to use real live drums on a majority of tracks that aren't just sample-replaced or cut into chunks. Those are straight up uninterrupted drum performances (and vocal and guitar and synth and bass and piano and percussion performances). Lots of human imperfections in each layer.

  23. #14483
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois
    Posts
    9,528
    Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Rumours is also the most radio-friendly Fleetwood Mac album (and happens to be their best, also).


    Melodic hooks and heavy beats don't cover over the noise and grit on that record.


    Far as I know, it's the first and only NIN studio record to use real live drums on a majority of tracks that aren't just sample-replaced or cut into chunks. Those are straight up uninterrupted drum performances (and vocal and guitar and synth and bass and piano and percussion performances). Lots of human imperfections in each layer.
    yes yes yes

    also, "the line begins to blur" is incredibly heavy and noisy during the verses, and yet the chorus is so beautiful and contemplative. that's the song that always comes to mind for me (after "all the love in the world") when i think of how different With Teeth sounds from the rest of the NIN catalog.

  24. #14484
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    502
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    yes yes yes

    also, "the line begins to blur" is incredibly heavy and noisy during the verses, and yet the chorus is so beautiful and contemplative. that's the song that always comes to mind for me (after "all the love in the world") when i think of how different With Teeth sounds from the rest of the NIN catalog.
    It's probably my favorite song off that album, and to me that song fits right in with the rest of the NIN catalogue. That juxtaposition of heavy noise/ soft and melodic is common throughout. The best example of this is I do not want this. There are others, but work is beating down my door at the moment.

  25. #14485
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    4,391
    Mentioned
    266 Post(s)
    Speaking of.

    Disk 2 side 2 of with teeth is the best record side in the entire NIN discography without question. I will die on this hill.

  26. #14486
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    254
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Speaking of.

    Disk 2 side 2 of with teeth is the best record side in the entire NIN discography without question. I will die on this hill.
    It's good, sure, but have you tried side A of Broken?

  27. #14487
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    4,391
    Mentioned
    266 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    It's good, sure, but have you tried side A of Broken?
    Side A is good but it's not with teeth side 4.

  28. #14488
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    1,648
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Side A is good but it's not with teeth side 4.
    With Teeth side 4 is good but it’s not Broken track 79.576 ms.

  29. #14489
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    502
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Speaking of.

    Disk 2 side 2 of with teeth is the best record side in the entire NIN discography without question. I will die on this hill.
    It's definitely up there in my top 5.

  30. #14490
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,299
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    Speaking of.

    Disk 2 side 2 of with teeth is the best record side in the entire NIN discography without question. I will die on this hill.
    I agree it's truly excellent and definitely the best part of that album by far. Not sure it's my #1 in the whole discography.

    Disk 2 Side 2 of The Fragile (The Way Out Is Through - The Mark has Been Made) is pretty good, too.

    Entire Disc 1 (either side) of TDS is also insanely good.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions