Page 478 of 528 FirstFirst ... 378 428 468 476 477 478 479 480 488 ... LastLast
Results 14,311 to 14,340 of 15828

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Personally, I'm okay with Trent & Atticus not talking about it at length. I think they just want people to absorb the music right now. Maybe they'll have more to say about it in the future, but for right now, the music is the statement.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Are you joking? The word-of-mouth promotion was fucking massive. Free album! Independent from the big greedy label! And just two months since previous one! And the LITS tour happened.
    He spoke about promotion itself, they were dropped the same way and advertised (or lack thereof) the same way, it's just that back then free albums were far more unusual especially getting FLACs.

The tour kind of goes againts my argument though, as that entire tour featured The Slip pretty heavily, then again, I can't really blame NIN for not touring right now for obvious reasons, also these records probably won't be appearing live much.

But, other than that, it does remind me of how The Slip was dropped, at least we know what head-space Trent was in when Ghosts V-VI were released, it came with a big statement explaining the intentions behind them, we don't know that much about The Slip, only a little where Trent said it was him "feeling getting older" and "feeling of being outside of himself" and also that it has been written and recorded quickly, but I feel like there is much more going on in that record, wish it got some really in-depth interviews, absolutely love that record.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    I too love The Slip. It might be my favorite second-phase Nine Inch Nails record, though the experience of the Year Zero ARG—considered as an ephemeral component of the record itself—was something I’ll always cherish and dearly wish I could somehow repeat.
    i listened to The Slip on vinyl the other day. first time listening to it in a long time, first time on vinyl since back when it was released. it's still fantastic, and lights in the sky is still my least favorite song on it ("corona radiata" and "discipline" are my favs...i know, i know)

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I go nuts everytime Discipline comes on my NIN playlist.

(YES I KNOW THAT IS HERESY TO MAKE NIN PLAYLISTS.)
    (Bite me)

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Is there anyone here who DOESN’T occasionally make mixes?
    Yes.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Is there anyone here who DOESN’T occasionally make mixes?
    I know I do... like here and here.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I’m one of the few people I know who still regularly listens to albums front to back. All the time; daily basis; &c. But of course I have Nine Inch Nails playlists. Many. Respecting the artist is one thing, but enjoying the music is something too. Is there anyone here who DOESN’T occasionally make mixes?
    I have so many NIN playlists but I alwasy just end up listening to the albums themselves most of the time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah I'm usually going by albums

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    I think mine are “1,000,000” and “Head Down”? But “The Four of Us Are Dying” has always been somehow kind of important and requiring of solemnity to me. “Demon Seed” is my least favorite thing on the LP.

Which means it’s now my turn to say, “I know, I know...”
    I’m one of the few people I know who still regularly listens to albums front to back. All the time; daily basis; &c. But of course I have Nine Inch Nails playlists. Many. Respecting the artist is one thing, but enjoying the music is something too. Is there anyone here who DOESN’T occasionally make mixes?
    the four of us are dying is fantastic, and i love that corona radiata just sort of bleeds into it. i'm not the biggest fan of demon seed, either, but it's a decent ending for a great album. if it ended with lights in the sky i'd be pissed.

i ONLY listen to albums front to back (especially since i usually listen to stuff on vinyl; but even when i'm streaming, that's just how i like to listen) but i also make mixes all the time. that said, the only time i make a single-artist mix is when i'm trying to get a friend into that artist, which is always fun.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I've been on a huge NIN kick for the past month or so and I swear I listen to Discipline and Every Day Is Exactly the Same once or twice a day. The former song is just a banger and the latter is pretty much how I feel these days.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Burning Bright transitions into Ringfinger surprisingly well.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    Love happening upon that type of stuff.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theimage13 View Post
    I was really surprised how well Burning Bright goes into Less Than, those two songs could not be different from one another, but it works. It is just another proof how well these EPs work together.
    Quote Originally Posted by kaydraven View Post
    I've been on a huge NIN kick for the past month or so and I swear I listen to Discipline and Every Day Is Exactly the Same once or twice a day. The former song is just a banger and the latter is pretty much how I feel these days.
    Every time I am blown away how impactful Discipline's production is really punchy and impactful.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HWB View Post
    I was really surprised how well Burning Bright goes into Less Than, those two songs could not be different from one another, but it works. It is just another proof how well these EPs work together.
    i actually like listening to add violence first, and then NTAE, and then bad witch. i feel like the flow works better. but you have to let the entirety of the background world play out. the total noise at the end of it transitions into branches/bones so well.

Every time I am blown away how impactful Discipline's production is really punchy and impactful.
    discipline is the song that "only" wishes it was haha

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Came Back Haunted is such an underrated jam nowadays. A ton of groovy things going on there, which I'm sure were discussed to death back in the day, but nowadays it's mostly remembered as the "first single", vastly overshadowed by Copy of a, the infamous Everything and the rest of HM, of course.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Microwave Jellyfish View Post
    Came Back Haunted is such an underrated jam nowadays. A ton of groovy things going on there, which I'm sure were discussed to death back in the day, but nowadays it's mostly remembered as the "first single", vastly overshadowed by Copy of a, the infamous Everything and the rest of HM, of course.
    came back haunted is great and one of my fav songs on HM, i also think it's up there for one of the most impactful NIN singles

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    if it ended with lights in the sky i'd be pissed.

Is Lights in the Sky not liked generally?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GibbonBlack View Post
    Is Lights in the Sky not liked generally?
    earlier in the thread i talked about it being my least favorite song on the album (don't think it's bad​ though). i also generally prefer when albums end with a bang rather than a whimper.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Isn't that what The Slip does with Demon Seed?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    Isn't that what The Slip does with Demon Seed?
    yeah, which is why i'm glad it ends that way! earlier in the thread i had said that i would be pissed if the album had ended with LITS, which is what @GibbonBlack was responding to when i quoted him.

i do, however, LOVE ripe (with decay) and am glad the fragile ends that way, but it's definitely an exception to my rule.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    earlier in the thread i talked about it being my least favorite song on the album
    It's, without question, my favourite track on that album. By a hell of a lot

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    It's, without question, my favourite track on that album. By a hell of a lot
    would love to hear it live in a room that was somehow 100% guaranteed to not be filled with idiots who are so insecure they can't keep quiet for 4 minutes & 55 seconds.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    @Sesquipedalism and @eversonpoe - I don’t get those sentiments towards Demon Seed. The whole thing, the weird way the lyrics are written (like The New Flesh) and how the artwork for the track goes all berserk with the red lines is just incredible. It’s a sin that it hasn’t been done live.

yeah, which is why i'm glad it ends that way! earlier in the thread i had said that i would be pissed if the album had ended with LITS, which is what @GibbonBlack was responding to when i quoted him.

i do, however, LOVE ripe (with decay) and am glad the fragile ends that way, but it's definitely an exception to my rule.
    You know a song is good when you don’t even need to hear it and get shivers just thinking about it - and that’s precisely what Ripe (With Decay) does for me, especially the “ahhhhs” at the end and that distorted, fractured guitar.

Like Demon Seed not being done live, it’s also a sin that Ripe (With Decay) was ever even considered to be chopped and just be called Ripe on the vinyl version.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I've said this before. But it's so funny it's worth mentioning it again.

I used to think "Decay" was a band. And Ripe was a song that was made with Decay. Like a guest spot.

I think I must have got confused when I saw the track Ripe that didn't have the decay bit.

I'm usually smart

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've said this before. But it's so funny it's worth mentioning it again.

I used to think "Decay" was a band. And Ripe was a song that was made with Decay. Like a guest spot.

I think I must have got confused when I saw the track Ripe that didn't have the decay bit.

I'm usually smart
    Lol. That's hilarious. When did you eventually figure it out?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OSPF View Post
    Lol. That's hilarious. When did you eventually figure it out?
    I don't remember exactly

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    hahahahaha

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    After immersing myself in Bad Seed Teevee all day yesterday, I think I would really like to see what would happen if Trent/Atticus got together with Nick Cave/Warren Ellis. I bet it would be at least interesting!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Not really a NIN thought, or sort of. I'm rewatching the Jack Dangers set of the Night of Nothing show. It's pretty great. And no, I'm not high or anything. Honest.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I re-listened to Ghosts I-IV today and I can really appreciate how much better Ghosts V and VI are. The former is just too long and drawn out. There are some great tracks, but some don't feel fully fleshed out. Others just aren't that interesting to me. Still not huge on the Ghosts series overall, but there are some great moments on each part.