Page 475 of 485 FirstFirst ... 375 425 465 473 474 475 476 477 ... LastLast
Results 14,221 to 14,250 of 14539

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Has Trent ever mentioned his favorite/least favorite NIN albums?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ribbitman View Post
    I am working from memory here but I remember in the last year or 2 him mentioning that he started liking With Teeth more. I also got the idea that he doesn't love Hesitation Marks so much from a comment he made not really feeling connected to the guy he was making that record.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    The fact that all those unreleased NIN tracks appeared on the third Watchmen LP makes me think that these liner notes are all we'll ever get, that the songs will now never be released.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    If I could choose one song for Trent/NIN to cover, it'll be A Small Plot of Land by Bowie.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Regardless of whatever controversy occurred around Danny Hyde and the Recoiled mixes, he did a damn good job on them. I would welcome him doing some more remixes for NIN if they ever go down that path again.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ribbitman View Post
    Like someone mentioned previously, he mentioned a while back that he didnít dig Hesitation Marks as much then as he did during the making of it.

He also stated at one point that he thought The Slip sounded really weird. And I think he may also have been affected a lot by the initial reception The Fragile got.

But everything seems subject to change with Trent. After all, The Perfect Drug finally became somewhat of a live staple and a few more songs from Hesitation Marks made their way into some
    of the 2018 set lists after a yearís time where they only really played Copy of A.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I wonder if Trent & Atticus have ever been offered to theme a Bond film.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    I was playing Bloodborne today and did the visceral attack to the giant pig enemies. It then occurred to me that as I was effectively a gaunt pale man garbed in black fisting a pig, this could be perhaps considered one of the more authentic 90's NIN experiences I could hope for.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    This must be the worst looking NIN "stage" I've ever seen. I get that it's not theirs but just the festival setup, but still... way too high and this piece of black... tarpaulin, is it? Fucking ugly

I don't know what they agreed to play so many daylight shows on that tour, especially after adding a new screen to their production for the summer tour.
    Last edited by fillow; 02-17-2020 at 05:49 AM.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    I saw mention of TDS and The Fragile being available on Tidal as MQA. While MQA will sound different due to the dithering techniques used, be aware that it's not all that "Master", especially how it's streamed.

First, MQA is lossy. Just something to be aware of. Essentially (and simply), two streams are packed together (96/24 and 48/16) to make something equivalent to a stream at 48/24. MQA takes a special player/decoder, so if you don't have that you're getting 48/16 at best with an additional loss of about 3 bits. Meaning you're probably listening to these at 44/13, since mobile DACs can be stupid.

Again though, these will sound different. That part is not snake oil.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Just found the best Ghosts Film Festival submission ever

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    I saw mention of TDS and The Fragile being available on Tidal as MQA. While MQA will sound different due to the dithering techniques used, be aware that it's not all that "Master", especially how it's streamed.

First, MQA is lossy. Just something to be aware of. Essentially (and simply), two streams are packed together (96/24 and 48/16) to make something equivalent to a stream at 48/24. MQA takes a special player/decoder, so if you don't have that you're getting 48/16 at best with an additional loss of about 3 bits. Meaning you're probably listening to these at 44/13, since mobile DACs can be stupid.

Again though, these will sound different. That part is not snake oil.
    Some mobile DACs will deliver real 24bit depth and decode MQA onboard. I have a portable player made by a company called HiBy, it's about the size of an iPod nano and it will decode MQA Studio files natively as well as stream them from Tidal over Wi-Fi. The idea behind MQA is to make one streaming source that's compatible with hi-res or with lo-res devices, kind of like how video streaming services switch bitrates depending how fast your connection is or how many pixels your screen supports, while the source file is converted on the delivery side and 'authenticated' at highest possible quality if your device supports it. Sure, it's always better to watch a ProRes uncompressed video, but they're never going to put those on Netflix (I'm aware that at least one streaming service, Qobuz, has the ability to stream hi-res FLAC but they're an outlier and not available in too many markets).

If it meets the criteria of "lossy", then so be it, I still have a really difficult time telling the difference between 24bit uncompressed hi-res and MQA from the same source. But all that said, using the MQA format is still kinda dumb for The Downward Spiral, because the master was always 44.1kHz/16bit (or, at best, the upsampled version remastered by Bob Ludwig in 2004 and Tom Baker in 2016). I don't know what source they used for The Fragile, but a 24bit un-dithered 48kHz source would be just as good or better than MQA. Will have to compare with other editions to make a final call on whether it's worthwhile.
    Last edited by botley; 02-24-2020 at 01:24 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Listening to Further Down The Spiral for the first time in ages.. somehow I never caught that Bowie sample in Self Destruction pt 2 until now! I'm glad that I put off getting too familiar with the remix records, they always sound so wild & fresh when I visit them.

On that note.. I would love to see the OG remix albums repressed on vinyl someday (Fixed, FDTS, TFA)

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soma View Post
    On that note.. I would love to see the OG remix albums repressed on vinyl someday (Fixed, FDTS, TFA)
    Can confirm that Fixed and Things Falling Apart on 'o' vinyl sounds pretty damned good. I'd love for FDTS to get a deluxe treatment and incorporate the UK and US tracks together....

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soma View Post
    Listening to Further Down The Spiral for the first time in ages.. somehow I never caught that Bowie sample in Self Destruction pt 2 until now! I'm glad that I put off getting too familiar with the remix records, they always sound so wild & fresh when I visit them.

I remember hearing it as a 17 year old and thinking, "that sounds like Bowie" but not knowing the reference. Now, if you go and look up the track it's from, "Time", it's SO good.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I'm a Stone Sour fan and saw today that on their off time, they're doing limited flash sales of vintage shirts of theirs that have been out of print for a long time. Which brings me to the fact that I wish Nine Inch Nails would do something like that. I missed out on the stonewashed Now I'm Nothing shirts and would love for them to do a new batch of them (stonewashed or regular. Could do older tour shirts too.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmcfly View Post
    I'm a Stone Sour fan and saw today that on their off time, they're doing limited flash sales of vintage shirts of theirs that have been out of print for a long time. Which brings me to the fact that I wish Nine Inch Nails would do something like that. I missed out on the stonewashed Now I'm Nothing shirts and would love for them to do a new batch of them (stonewashed or regular. Could do older tour shirts too.
    Radiohead is doing this with their Library - tons of old shirt designs are back from the dead!

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    A new NIN EP coinciding with the RnR Hall of Fame would not only be extremely welcome, it'd also be good for business.

Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    A new NIN EP coinciding with the RnR Hall of Fame would not only be extremely welcome, it'd also be good for business.
    Hot damn.
    You might just be on to something.

As in, this is a very real possibility

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So is Bad Witch part of a trilogy or was that idea nixed when it became an LP?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OSPF View Post
    So is Bad Witch part of a trilogy or was that idea nixed when it became an LP?
    It is the conclusion of the trilogy.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Just listening"Fixed" in headphones... it's been a while since I've enjoyed the density and production of it this way. So good.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mauro995 View Post
    It is the conclusion of the trilogy.
    It's part of a different trilogy, unfinished as of now.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenAkenobi View Post
    A different trilogy? This rings a vague bell, but can you remind me?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    I was playing Bloodborne today and did the visceral attack to the giant pig enemies. It then occurred to me that as I was effectively a gaunt pale man garbed in black fisting a pig, this could be perhaps considered one of the more authentic 90's NIN experiences I could hope for.
    This reminds me of a stand up show I was watching last night with Ross Noble. He somehow got to talking about running around a village with a pretend cock made out of plasticine and prodding it into a fat duck.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    If that's true, why are there interviews where Trent explains how Bad Witch is the conclusion of the Trilogy, and why is there an official Spotify playlist which not only includes all songs from the triptych but also combines their respective artworks into one image?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    A different trilogy? This rings a vague bell, but can you remind me?
    I am pretty sure he's joking. It's definitely the conclusion to the trilogy, and there's not another one.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    It's personal feeling. Not satisfied with Trent's explanation (he doesn't seem all that confident himself, does he?). No, "joking" is not the right term for that. If we went to "Random NIN questions" or another topical thread, i'd be the first to require proof. Thank you. Will add a smiley next time for clarification

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Not satisfied with Trent's explanation...
    That doesn't mean it's part of another trilogy.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    So, a bunch of free public domain 3D models were dumped on Sketchfab and one of them gave me slight TDS/CTG/Coil vibes