Page 469 of 528 FirstFirst ... 369 419 459 467 468 469 470 471 479 519 ... LastLast
Results 14,041 to 14,070 of 15828

Thread: Random NIN Thoughts

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mauro995 View Post
    Not The Actual Events is basically an EP with no melodies, an essential part in the 99% of the music people listens to.
    Actually, melody has been disappearing from pop music over the last few decades. Many songs are comprised of only two or three notes now. A bass loop, cheap drum machine percussion, and a monotone, almost spoken vocal line. A word that's been thrown around a lot is 'timbre', which seems increasingly more important in pop circles than melody.

Here's a video on the subject:

Last edited by katara; 10-05-2019 at 04:54 PM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I was today years old when I learned that Reptile has a significant portion of Laura Palmer's theme sampled in the bridge.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    I was today years old when I learned that Reptile has a significant portion of Laura Palmer's theme sampled in the bridge.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by butter_hole View Post
    Wow, me either. I love it.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    That might explain why She's Gone Away included Reptile lyrics in the background of NTAE's physical component.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    holy shit. i can't believe i never realized it. the first time i watched twin peaks and heard that piece of music, i knew that ascending progression sounded familiar!

Quote Originally Posted by mauro995 View Post
    That might explain why She's Gone Away included Reptile lyrics in the background of NTAE's physical component.
    and the fact that the song was played on season 3 of twin peaks (and is pretty clearly about laura). makes it seem like reptile could also be about laura.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    I'm pretty sure I pointed that out a couple of years ago... But I totally can't find the post...

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    There's no "sample" there. It even says so in the link above: Interpolation (Replayed Sample)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I know Reptile samples Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Leviathan. But that's all I think

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HWB View Post
    I know Reptile samples Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Leviathan. But that's all I think
    I believe those robotic shifting sounds are from James Cameron's Aliens.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by artdeco View Post
    I believe those robotic shifting sounds are from James Cameron's Aliens.
    What an amazing use of those samples!! I love those robotic sounds, it was what hooked me unto the song when I heard it for the first time

Speaking of which, does anyone have any idea where Trent and Ross sampled those creepy laughs from The Lovers? Definetelly sounds like they got it from somewhere, wish I knew where, it adds so much to the song.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    'Torn Polaroid' from The Vietnam War Soundtrack is a brilliant track. Truly haunting and beautiful.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Fun ad, I've never seen it before:

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    This already ties in with seeing Nine Inch Nails live, but I feel thankful to have had my "Middle of the decade" experiences with seeing NIN live in both the 2000s (2005) and the 2010s (2013). -Close enough, since it was almost 2014 by then anyway.-

I just ended up thinking about the "Middle of the decade" with NIN because of the legendary/epic era that was The Downward Spiral. If only I caught that, but I wasn't a fan yet, nor was I even aware that NIN existed. And well, With Teeth and Hesitation Marks were certainly great times, as with any/all NIN eras.

I also know it's unlikely, but I hope to see NIN in at the Citi Field stadium located in Queens, New York some day, as I went to see NIN in Manhattan, Brooklyn and even Long Island, yet Queens would still be the most convenient commute for me out of them all, especially since Citi Field is also located in Flushing Meadows - Corona Park of all places, less than 1 hour from home.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 10-14-2019 at 07:47 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Fun ad, I've never seen it before:

I could buy Broken at Nickelodeon!?

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nooneimportant View Post
    I could buy Broken at Nickelodeon!?
    Whoa. I seriously glossed that over big time as I kept staring at the prices. And to think how Broken is a shade of orange mixed with yellow and some red, which still goes perfectly with the old Nickelodeon logo. I also like how most of my best memories with Nickelodoen also coincide with Pretty Hate Machine to With Teeth.

And now I'm reminded of the Deep video having some random gags of it being sponsored by Nickelodeon due to the green slime on its YouTube comments.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 10-15-2019 at 08:38 PM.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Remember when The Hand That Feeds first leaked from that radio station in really crappy quality and we all went gaga over it?

Remember when I copied that link from aperfectcircle.net forums and we heard 30 second samples of all the With_Teeth tracks?

Remember going apeshit on the website that first recorded TR doing Non-Entity with the beat box? We all saw the track title first, then spent the next few hours trying to find the actual damn song.

Listening to the studio version of Non-Entity now and eating member berries.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Makemkv can't handle my PAL AATCHB disc 1. Which is interesting. I'll have to rip it with something else.

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    "You see. Trent Reznor emerged as an underground rock star last year with a band called Nine Inch Nails. I know. I know. It's more like Nine Inch Noise."

But really though. It's still one of my favorite moments on that episode of Hard Copy concerning the accidental controversy that surrounded Down In It at the time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HWB View Post
    Isn't the crescendo from Laura Palmer's theme used in Reptile?
    Last edited by tap3worm; 10-28-2019 at 02:32 AM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erneuert View Post
    Remember when The Hand That Feeds first leaked from that radio station in really crappy quality and we all went gaga over it?

Remember when I copied that link from aperfectcircle.net forums and we heard 30 second samples of all the With_Teeth tracks?

Remember going apeshit on the website that first recorded TR doing Non-Entity with the beat box? We all saw the track title first, then spent the next few hours trying to find the actual damn song.

Listening to the studio version of Non-Entity now and eating member berries.
    I remember reading a story on the old ETS about a guy being a huge NIN fan and working at a pizza store in the middle of nowhere USA, hearing the Hand That Feeds come on the radio, and vaguely being aware that "oh my god, it's the new NIN song" and going apeshit over it, jumping up and down and letting a bunch of pizzas go cold.

Struck me as strange, because it was the first new NIN track in 6 years (not really if we're counting Still) - the distance between 1999-2005 feels unimaginably longer than the distance between 2013 and today.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    I remember reading a story on the old ETS about a guy being a huge NIN fan and working at a pizza store in the middle of nowhere USA, hearing the Hand That Feeds come on the radio, and vaguely being aware that "oh my god, it's the new NIN song" and going apeshit over it, jumping up and down and letting a bunch of pizzas go cold.

Struck me as strange, because it was the first new NIN track in 6 years (not really if we're counting Still) - the distance between 1999-2005 feels unimaginably longer than the distance between 2013 and today.
    I think it felt longer due to lack of internet and less social media etc.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Personally I would chalk it up to age - 6 years passing when you are in your teens/20's vs. 30/40's feels very different. Perception of time generally speeds up with age.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    How the fuck has Underneath It All never been played live?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Everyone should be listening to Pod Like a Hole. Those guys are great. Fun show. Come for the NIN, stay for Bowie.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    How the fuck has Underneath It All never been played live?
    Yes! One of my favorite tracks of all time. So underrated. I always thought that would be such a great opener.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    Everyone should be listening to Pod Like a Hole. Those guys are great. Fun show. Come for the NIN, stay for Bowie.
    i've never checked it out but i sure do miss editing episodes of Underneath It All